Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simple meditation

I have used a variety of so called meditation techniques. Some were concentration, some relaxation, some trance induction.

The most appropriate words or description I would use now are attention, awareness, abiding, presence. The initial inclination to do anything but meditate is very strong in the monkey mind.

Outwardly in formal meditation I still prefer tailor pose, pelvis lifted by cushion, straight back. Dervish meditation does not require a straight back. Also I have used a closed eye practice for a while, though I may return to open eye techniques.

What I still learn from is movement systems of meditation, breath awareness, perseverance, discipline etc. In other words I still value the various previous efforts.

For me the most useful indication of the settled mind is the breath.

Is meditation so simple but complicated by monkey mind? I feel meditation often is the opposite of ease . . .
Is meditation easy for you, suffering, maybe something else?

JeffreybookwormDreds

Comments

• MeatballMeatball Explorer

I do breathing meditation. Until I get better at it I don't want to try other techniques. Things might get complicated. Yes, my monkey mind gave me lots of frustration at the beginning. After understanding the cause of those frustrations, things got lot easier. Now I just notice it, acknowledge it then let it go.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Meditation 'got' overly complicated and full of itself recently.

I've been having aversion to meditation :( Not that initial reluctance to meditate (OMG, sit quietly??? No way!!) but . . . well, maybe that's it after all.

I was expecting and not receiving, I'm still a little pissed off, to be honest.

At the same time, I've heard other beginning meditators (a little less than a year for me) have similar issues?

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited July 2014

dunno what type of buddhist you are? Mahayana or Theravada? Something aquatic?

Me I am theravada. Personal release is my goal.

There are numerous types of meditation. Breath, Metta, Body, cemetary then the one on dhammas. Awareness on arising and passing. etc.

They are there to practise. Try out and develop. BUT. For me I need to understand what I am doing. Reading, using the onepointed mind to pentrate dhamma puzzles putting the pieces together from direct knowleadge to word in sutta.

You ask what meditation is for me? It is what I make it. I do not feel unease because I do not allow it to arise. Meditation is not sitting down and waiting. It is the balancing of energy and concentration and finding the brightend mind when sleepy... finding the inspiration when stuck ... the concentration when restless... eating when I am hungry.

And meditation is not for the cushion. It is for the life. On the train, at work, in the bus, even drinking beer with friends. (al right you can bring the darn cushion! Just don't spill).

Miyamoto Musashi said around year 1640.

It is important to make the everyday posture the fighting posture and the fighting posture the everyday posture.

Victor says 2014-07-15 .

It is important to make the everyday mind the cultivation mind and the cultivation mind the everyday mind.

Otherwise you will only be a person going to church on sundays. Is that what you want to be doing in your life? Living only on Sundays?

Life is too short my friend. :) .

Peace.
    /Victor

EDIT: I am just talking about me. I do not imply anything about your practise. Sorry if I seemed to. :) .

BuddhadragonJeffreyDreds
  • Meditation can be one of the simplest things that there is. In my experience, it's all of the mindstuff that complicates matters. What could be simpler than breathing and letting go?

lobsterBuddhadragonmmo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Hamsaka said:

At the same time, I've heard other beginning meditators (a little less than a year for me) have similar issues?

Thanks guys.

Interesting how it changes or is used, if that is the right word, differently.
    We are all beginners @Hamsaka.

Expecting, not receiving and not expecting to . . . wow . . . would that be 'just sitting' . . . way to go gal :clap: .

Another approach I might try is 'giving meditation' or dedicating the sitting . . .

I also liked what Victor said. Personally I do let unease arise and fear and anger, whatever. However I don't get agitated by their arising, passage and leaving/settling.
    @Meatball‌ stated this approach well. This is closest to my current practice:
    http://shambhalasun.com/sunspace/sit-a-long-with-jundo-shikantaza-zazen-a-madness-to-the-method/

I must admit euphoric hindrances are more present at the moment. Bad cushion! When I say bad . . . I mean that in a good way . . .

Hamsaka
  • More meditation is needed on my part. Cravings is one hell of a beast to fight alone.

@lobster said:

This cushion sort of looks like a green maxi pad.

WonderingSeekerBuddhadragonKundo
    edited July 2014

I also liked what Victor said. Personally I do let unease arise and fear and anger, whatever. However I don't get agitated by their arising, passage and leaving/settling.

Sorry let me clarify:

Of course there is monkey mind and restlessness and all the rest. The unease I was thinking of is the agitation you are speaking about.

When somewhere else than sitting it is much more difficult to keep the concentration, but on the other hand it is then that the most interesting behavioural patterns arise and you can catch yourself.

No meditation is not simple for me because I make it complicated. But it is lovely because I simply love it.

/Victor

@Hamsaka said:
    This cushion sort of looks like a green maxi pad.

Whats a maxi pad?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

m m m, the 'green cushion' is a rocking chair. I have heard of heavy periods but this is ridiculous . . .

HamsakaBuddhadragonDavidKundo

Just kiddin...

:D .

Hamsaka

Oh yeah . . . that would be a great rocking chair! Esp because it looks like a feminine product, I'd want it just for that.

• MeatballMeatball Explorer
    edited July 2014

How strong is motivation? It makes a big difference to me. I take few minutes to generate a good motivation before I start meditation. Usually my eyes fill with tears during this time. It makes me sad that we are all trapped in samsara. Then it makes me so happy because dharma is available.

Buddhadragonlobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Hamsaka said:
    Meditation 'got' overly complicated and full of itself recently.

I've been having aversion to meditation :( Not that initial reluctance to meditate (OMG, sit quietly??? No way!!) but . . . well, maybe that's it after all.

Of course they do...and for some people that continues to be the case for a long time.

Be adidas wo/man..just do it. Trust the process.

Hamsaka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(nike).

Victorious
  • CittaCitta Veteran

that too..: )

Victorious
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Meatball said:
    How strong is motivation? It makes a big difference to me. I take few minutes to generate a good motivation before I start meditation. Usually my eyes fill with tears during this time.

Thanks guys.

I think emotional motivation is a good starting plan. As is study of what meditation is, the benefits, the techniques etc.

The reason I like the 'stillness' models, is they are so simple. Most of us can chill on a holiday deckchair. Watching our thoughts drift by . . . Mention 'meditation' and we stiffen the back, concentrate on the breath, feel worthy, talk about our 'experiences' etc. Meditation = dukkha? Come on . . . The dukkha is there on holiday or cushion. Take a break.

How much more is meditation than chilling out? Not much.

We can incidentally, be internally still in movement for example walking meditation . . .

Jeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:
    Is meditation so simple but complicated by monkey mind? I feel meditation often is the opposite of ease . . .

But isn't seeing the monkey the point of it? Hopefully without going bananas ;)

ShoshinDavid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

So to the OP, this is the most painful un lofty technique I've tried. But you can see it work straight away in life.

Outstanding. Bravo.
    Buddhism works. No doubt. :clap: .

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Earthninja said:

The Vipassana is feeling sensations on your body. The end goal is to feel every molecule of your body, you then realise both annica and Anatta.

You need your mind incredibly sharp to feel every sensation on your body. That's why you need the samadhi.

Nothing worth it is ever easy :)

To be aware(just knowing) of the arising and passing of phenomenon at the 6 sense doors is mature practice and is sati sampajanna(mindfulness and clear comprehension). However there is another step.

And what is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to mindfulness & alertness? There is the case where feelings are known to the monk as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. Perceptions are known to him as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. Thoughts are known to him as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to mindfulness & alertness.

And what is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents? There is the case where a monk remains focused on arising & falling away with reference to the five clinging-aggregates: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is feeling, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is perception, such its origination, such its passing away. Such are fabrications, such their origination, such their passing away. Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents.

http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/anguttara/04/an04-041.html

The crucial part is to see their conditionality which is dependent co-arising - ("Such is") which leads to realisation of anatta.

"If anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of the eye are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.148.than.html

Regards

EarthninjalobsterInvincible_summerbookworm

@Earthninja said:
    The Vipassana is feeling sensations on your body. The end goal is to feel every molecule of your body, you then realise both annica and Anatta.
    You need your mind incredibly sharp to feel every sensation on your body. That's why you need the samadhi.

So how do you develop the samadhi? Or does it come from concentrating on bodily sensation?

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@SpinyNorman‌ you use anapanna to sharpen your concentration until you feel sensations below the nostril. Then you move onto Vipassana. As far as I'm aware I only now use mindfulness if breathing to calm my mind but only in the first 10 or so minutes.
    Once you can feel sensations on most parts of your body your mind automatically sharpens as you slowly make the area of awareness smaller and smaller

@Earthninja said:
    SpinyNorman‌ you use anapanna to sharpen your concentration until you feel sensations below the nostril. Then you move onto Vipassana. As far as I'm aware I only now use mindfulness if breathing to calm my mind but only in the first 10 or so minutes.
    Once you can feel sensations on most parts of your body your mind automatically sharpens as you slowly make the area of awareness smaller and smaller

Yes, I see, though doesn't focussing in on bodily sensation lead to samadhi anyway? It's partly a question of terminology, but I see samatha and vipassana as qualities rather than methods, IMO they are really 2 sides of the same coin - so where there is greater stillness there will be greater clarity, and vice versa.

lobster

@SpinyNorman‌ yes I believe bodily sensations do lead to samadhi. However as your focus is constantly moving you don't create as much one pointedness leading to Samatha. I've been told it still happens as you progress.
    I'd agree it's more like a certain approach to the same thing.

The purpose of Vipassana from an entry level is too see your bodily sensations as your thoughts come up. This is basically observing your subconscious. All blind reactions come from sensations on the sense doors so the idea is you cut the reaction off as it comes in by observing it. It helps when you can actually feel your bodily sensations. Hahah.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks guys,

I like the body sensation tactic. I tend to use a scan and let go method from yoga, similar to
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga-nidra except I am on a cushion, at the beginning of formal practice . . . Sometimes, usually near the end a bit of mantra may arise and is usually indulged in . . .

Earthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Lobster

Hey Lobster
    Easing over on one cheek for a moment of zen speak....

Monkey mind only complicates meditation when one thinks that meditation should somehow be separated from it. Like any arising and passing phenomena, Monkey mind is just the teacher that our meditation has welcomed to show us what our attachments look like. The Meditation practice is simply allowing the "Monkey mind" to be whatever it is, (like any phenomena) and where mindfully not trying to control it is our only job assignment.

A settled or unsettled mind are only two more things to unleash ourselves from,

just as

judging or quantifying our meditation is something that only says that at least in this one moment, we are probably not meditating.

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

"The essential principle is to maintain presence in the state of the moving wave of the thought itself... If one considers the calm state as something positive to be attained, and the wave of thought as something negative to be abandoned, and one remains caught up in the duality of grasping and rejecting, there is no way of overcoming the ordinary state of mind."
    (Chögyal Namkhai Norbu)

MeatballlobsterEarthninja

@Earthninja said:
    The purpose of Vipassana from an entry level is too see your bodily sensations as your thoughts come up.

Could you elaborate? Are you talking about labelling bodily sensation here?

@SpinyNorman‌ not so much labelling your body sensations, just observing them as sensation. Either gross or subtle.
    Feeling them with out judgement.

Example would be a gross painful sensation in the hip. By observing the sensation it destroys a small part of your subconscious reactions to pain. You begin to observe rather than judge that you are in pain.( thoughts)

Same goes with subtle sensations. Often seen as blissful. If you don't judge them then you start to lessen your craving.

Just observing thoughts and sensations as they arise. You begin to understand how your subconscious mind works. The idea is to rewire your subconscious by remaining aware but equanimous.

Hope this helps! I'm just scraping the surface of this stuff.

@Earthninja said:
    Just observing thoughts and sensations as they arise.

Yes, that's sometimes referred to as "bare attention". Recently I've just been working with mindfulness of bodily and mental feeling, on an off the cushion - it's a relatively simple approach but maybe there's a lot to be said for that!
    Are you involved in an ongoing Goenka group of some sort? I haven't done a Goenka retreat so I'm not sure how it works.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    "bare attention"

We haz plan . . .

Earthninja

@SpinyNorman‌ it makes sense to me to observe the whole mind and body.
    unfortunately I'm not part of a group, people from all ilks seem to come to these retreats.
    Ongoing in the sense that most people seem to do more retreats! Or serve at these.

@Earthninja said:
    SpinyNorman‌ it makes sense to me to observe the whole mind and body.

Yes, though it can be quite a lot to keep an eye on. ;)
    If you're not already familiar with it, I'd suggest having a look at the Satipatthana Sutta, which is the source for most of these methods:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.010.than.html

@SpinyNorman‌ , thanks for the link. I recently got a copy of the Visuddhimagga . It has those references. Biiiig book!

Go well bud! And thank you

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2014

thanks guys,

Recently been reading the excellent edition 3 of 'meditation for dummies'
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/meditation-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Because it is usually dark when I meditate and because this feels right at present, my eyes are lightly shut. My breath is always a good indication of interior agitation as is very quiet or silent mantra recitation.

I do tend to vary the parameters. For example my teacher who was in waking mindfulness for all the time I knew him and therefore meditation was superfluous, would often sit with his hands open, facing up and resting on his thighs. Such a 'mudra' is more common in yoga. Tried it on the bus the other day as a physical prop/reminder of mindfulness. It is quite open and has aspects of vulnerability in it for me.

Anyway hope the above cheat sheet is helpful for all you budding Buddha buddies . . .
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/mindfulness-for-dummies-cheat-sheet-uk-edition.html
    :wave: .

EarthninjaVastmindHamsakaBuddhadragon
  • One thing I believe meditation helps with is our ability to feel peace, ease, and happiness. At times it seems as though this feeling creeps up on us even when we're not meditating. I often try share this feeling with those around me. Am I alone I often wonder.

• Mediti........................snore.....wha?......(back to the breath)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:
    thanks guys,

Recently been reading the excellent edition 3 of 'meditation for dummies'
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/meditation-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Because it is usually dark when I meditate and because this feels right at present, my eyes are lightly shut. My breath is always a good indication of interior agitation as is very quiet or silent mantra recitation.

I do tend to vary the parameters. For example my teacher who was in waking mindfulness for all the time I knew him and therefore meditation was superfluous, would often sit with his hands open, facing up and resting on his thighs. Such a 'mudra' is more common in yoga. Tried it on the bus the other day as a physical prop/reminder of mindfulness. It is quite open and has aspects of vulnerability in it for me.

Anyway hope the above cheat sheet is helpful for all you budding Buddha buddies . . .
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/mindfulness-for-dummies-cheat-sheet-uk-edition.html
    :wave: .

@‌ lobster

I suspect that you know that mudra is more than just a prop.
    Vulnerability is usually the result when it is practiced publicly and the participant is not willing enough to take responsibility for the potential responses that may arrive from such an open invitation.

Vulnerability is not necessarily a bad thing but I'd only advise such a public practice for practitioners who have had more instruction on how to navigate the mudras than what has appeared on this thread.

In Gassho

lobster
  • Thank you, @lobster, for opening an excellent topic.

@lobster said:
    I have used a variety of so called meditation techniques. Some were concentration, some relaxation, some trance induction.

The most appropriate words or description I would use now are attention, awareness, abiding, presence. The initial inclination to do anything but meditate is very strong in the monkey mind.

Outwardly in formal meditation I still prefer tailor pose, pelvis lifted by cushion, straight back. Dervish meditation does not require a straight back. Also I have used a closed eye practice for a while, though I may return to open eye techniques.

What I still learn from is movement systems of meditation, breath awareness, perseverance, discipline etc. In other words I still value the various previous efforts.

This is the main reason I joined this forum! Sitting meditation is a joy and an antithesis to suffering but difficult because of my monkey mind. A quiet place though with very little distraction, except for an occasional dog bark outside. With closed eyes, I can concentrate better but find that at times, I feel sleepy so I usually open my eyes slightly to resettle. Mindfully. Any suggestions?

A technique I tried today for the first time is Walking Meditation. For the past several years, I have walked every morning in the desert but often I encouraged free rambling thoughts. (This was pre-awareness of meditation.) It is an open desert with no roads or traffic, and is surrounded by large mountains, fascinating birds, critters and plants. There is a lot of distraction. Since it is a very familiar landscape for me, today I decided to try walking and meditating, paying attention only to my feet and steps. No closed or unfocused eyes, although I wanted to as the sun greeted me on the horizon. This is not simple because there are a lot of rocks and ground obstructions to avoid. Once on a relatively flat path, I then could concentrate more on my feet while keeping my eyes on my destination.

Is this more mindfulness than meditation?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Dreds said:
    Thank you, lobster, for opening an excellent topic.

Is this more mindfulness than meditation?

Kia Ora @Dreds,

Walking, sitting, cooking, eating, Mindfulness "is" Meditation....

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

upekka
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Dreds

Walking meditation (among other things) is an excellent practice to learn how to make the meditative transition from the sitting position into daily activity.
    It is the delicate balance of maintaining both a background deliberateness of concentration while also remaining in touch with the functionality of what ever formal style of meditation you are doing.
    Remember that there is more going on than just the movement of the feet. All your sense organs ( sight, hearing, smells, taste, body & mind) are continually presenting a continuous stream of info.
    If you focus on just one sense gate, then that is concentration.
    If you can allow all the data from your senses to freely arise and pass without manipulating them (hanging onto or pushing any away) then that is meditation.

Most of us meditatively dance somewhere in between.

Plus, if you are walking outside, there is also the compassionate aspect of at least making sure that your steps are not unduly hurting anything.

Dredslobster
  • Thanks @Shoshin and @how! I just spent the last couple of hours searching the web for the differences between mindfulness, meditation, mindfulness meditation, zen, visapanna, transcendental meditation, insight meditation, concentration, et.al. I see a definite battle between the Eastern and Western spiritual definitions and the secular ones. I like your explanations better! Because I am so new to this, I guess I needed an affirmation and you both have supported my inner voice. You just verbalized it for me. @how, I take my walks in the early mornings because the days are too hot. Today, I followed it with my sitting meditation, and they both seem so very different, probably because walking is so physical. BTW, stepping on something like a lizard or a horny toad is virtually impossible...they are speed demons and very cognizant of something moving. I have walked that path for 15 years. :wave:

• With closed eyes, I can concentrate better but find that at times, I feel sleepy so I usually open my eyes slightly to resettle. Mindfully. Any suggestions?

Standing meditation as in Tai Chi. Sleeping on ones feet requires real sleepiness . . .

For sitting, try sitting when least tired, normally the morning, with green tea to sip, or after a shower . . .

Please rethink the concentration, which causes the mind to find a way out, one way out is sloth.

You can also intersperse sitting with walking or chanting . . .

If you just want to sit, then you can use the slight discomfort of half, full lotus or kneeling to keep you awake . . .

:)

• Thanks, @lobster. I never thought of myself as slothful, but I think you are right. I am working on the concentration and doing more walking. I just started using a Cosmic Cushion which seems to help too.

lobster
  • @Dreds said:
    I just started using a Cosmic Cushion which seems to help too.

You are sitting on stardust . . .
    Seems like a plan . . .
    ;) .

Dreds
  • @lobster said:

Breath meditation is underrated it is really good for slowing the system down – after many years of meditation the mind still interferes as it can never be stilled.
    On some occasions when doing long meditates if the mind is becoming a problem I stare a blank wall for an hour . I hope this helps good luck!