Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism/Mysticism paradox?

edited March 2011 in Faith & Religion
I was thinking the other night, and came across an apparent and slightly frightening conclusion. I was using logic to follow a line of thought based on two premises. Those being, 1. "Do no harm". This is a central tenet of my belief system and something i try and live my life by. 2. Humans are inevitably fallible.

Now, if you consider the two as true, then the second will inevitably violate the first, time and time again. Following, the only logical conclusion is to remove the ability to violate premise number one. In my studies recently i've come across alot of apparent little "fallacies" in major belief systems that i would really like to talk about with someone who knows a little more than i do. All opinions and any help welcome.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Humans are inevitably fallible, but they also inevitably have choice.
    That's what your number one hinges on.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    By the way:

Thank you for carefully choosing where to post your thread. :thumbsup:

I had no need to edit/re-direct.:clap:

Please take note, everyone - !!!
  • So, would killing oneself be the right choice then? Or withdrawing in the Jaina sense? In keeping with the premise number one, we should choose to do the least amount of harm that our fallibility will allow us, so should we then take that to it's logical end?
  • "Do no harm" is a training rule. It follows, there is no fallacy. :)
  • Maybe i'm caught up or messed around in my semantics. It seems to follow that "do no harm" would be a means or accruing good karma, which, seems to be more of a central belief, at least in my own practice. (for the record, i'm not trying to bum anyone out or anything, this just occurred to me and it's been itching in my head ever since.)
    I'm sorry - I think I've lost the gist of your question.
    if you take "do no harm" as a single isolated premise, then obviously you will be like the man who deliberates fully before taking a step.
    You will spend your entire life on one leg.

The recommendation to "do no harm" cannot be taken as read, on its own. There is much that follows - and also, precedes - this caveat.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Sure. There is intention & reality.

Wise intention is to do no harm. Reality is understanding all beings, including ourselves (but excluding fully enlightened beings), are affected by ignorance.

There is no fallacy or contradiction. There is just more than one practise to learn.

If we did no harm, how could we learn forgiveness and letting go?

If we only learned forgiveness and letting go, how could we learn to do good?

In Buddhism, this is called 'multi-tasking'.

:mullet:
  • You're right, of course. This is a gross oversimplification of any situation that could possibly arise in real life.

Perhaps i was being too absolutist. Or forgetting a central tenet of philosophy, that there are no real answers, just more questions.
    edited March 2011
    Of course there are real answers. You just have to ask 'real' questions.

if your question is nonsensical, (ie, makes no sense) then there will either be no logical answers - or no answers at all.
  • What are "real" questions? How does one differentiate between what is a "real" question and what is "nonsensical"? Is real defined as simply things that have only practical application?

Also, then questions without answers, which would be one of the ways the ineffable divine might communicated to the human mind, are thrown out?
    edited March 2011
    What are "real" questions? How does one differentiate between what is a "real" question and what is "nonsensical"?
    Actually, I was really going by what you had just said.....

"You're right, of course. This is a gross oversimplification of any situation that could possibly arise in real life....Perhaps i was being too absolutist...."
    Is real defined as simply things that have only practical application?
    No, but you take the word out of context.
    'real' in this specific case, is defined by something that is not abstract or excessively vague or imprecise.
    Also, then questions without answers, which would be one of the ways the ineffable divine might communicated to the human mind, are thrown out?
    Questions deemed unfathomable (or as the Buddha put it, 'unconjecturable) are as you put it, thrown out, and for good reason.
    Questions which one can ponder, give opinion, view or perspective on, can be considered. but discussion often brings other aspects previously not alluded to or considered.

As above, for example. :)
  • My first draft looked more like a rebuttal than a discussion post, so i deleted it. It seems I was getting a little mired up in the semantics of the question. Thanks to all for the input.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    So, would killing oneself be the right choice then? Or withdrawing in the Jaina sense? In keeping with the premise number one, we should choose to do the least amount of harm that our fallibility will allow us, so should we then take that to it's logical end?
    The right choice is to get enlightenment and remove the fallibility.

:)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    What he said.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The topic is entitled "Buddhism/Mysticism Paradox?" I'm a little slower than the other kids on the block. What's the paradox? What's mystical?

People are fallible. OK, that seems about right.

Do no harm. OK, that seems like a pretty good encouragement even if the particulars may require some close attention.

When (not if) you screw up, acknowledge and correct it as best you may. Isn't that a Buddhist practice?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Sufferer,

Consider, when working with our intent, it might be better to express:

"Do no harm" as "Intend no injury" or "Intend loving-kindness"

You'll screw up and crush a bug with your slippers, but trust that as you become more alert, you'll get a feel for the right things to say and when, the proper place to put your feet, etc.

It sounds like you're letting the premise "do no harm" harm your own confidence. :)

With the intent of loving-kindness,

Matt
  • I was thinking the other night, and came across an apparent and slightly frightening conclusion. I was using logic to follow a line of thought based on two premises. Those being, 1. "Do no harm". This is a central tenet of my belief system and something i try and live my life by. 2. Humans are inevitably fallible.

Now, if you consider the two as true, then the second will inevitably violate the first, time and time again. Following, the only logical conclusion is to remove the ability to violate premise number one. In my studies recently i've come across alot of apparent little "fallacies" in major belief systems that i would really like to talk about with someone who knows a little more than i do. All opinions and any help welcome.
    Why is the only logical conclusion "to remove the ability to violate premise number one"? Why not recommend successive approximations to do no harm such as the Buddha did? I think he knew that "humans are inevitably fallible", and that's why he taught what he did- successive approximation to do no harm, as in, keep trying not to do harm.

If the only logical conclusion were to "remove the ability to violate premise number one", then the Buddha would not have had to teach, would he?

Besides, who or what would do the removing? God?

And what are the "mystical" and "paradoxical" elements here?

We live in real life, in an imperfect existence in which harm is sometimes done. No Cosmic Power is going to come along and remove the ability of people to do harm. People have to work at that themselves, with the appropriate guidance.

This is real life. IMO, the question is not a real-life question.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    My understanding of the original post is, that the only way to “not harm” is to commit suicide.
    Is that correct sufferer? And are you still with us? :)

The answer is, yes. When we exist we will do harm. Sorry about that. Life’s not perfect (first noble truth, if you like).

Fortunately suicide isn’t the cure; it is an extremely harmful thing to do.

So what is the mystical and paradoxical solution to this dilemma?

See the emptiness of all phenomena. All harm done and all merit gained are not the essence.

Our true nature is unborn, without flaw, without merit.
    There’s no need to kill myself because I’m “dead” to begin with.
  • I'm still with you zen. Just had a busy day, couldn't get around to checking my internet stuff until now. Also, i like the way you reasoned this out, without too much toying with the semantics of the thing. I'm an undergrad, it's built into my nature to question everything and this one was beyond me so i came for some guidance.

Also, i wasn't intending to mean "mystical" as in obscure in meaning or mysterious i meant "mysticism" as in a doctrine of an immediate spiritual intuition of truths believed to transcend ordinary understanding, or of a direct, intimate union of the soul with "god" through contemplation or ecstasy. I'll try and be more clear in the future.

As for the paradox, i was simply concerned that my rationalism and logic was leading me down a path that would seem to coincide more with the philosophy surrounding Santhara in the Jaina tradition.