Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pipe smoking for meditation and contemplation

2»

Comments

• auraaura Veteran
    edited September 2011

I thought the general consensus of the scientific community was that genetic modification of things such as soy beans was not problematic.
    They said the same thing about tobacco for many generations.
    The general consensus and lobbying efforts of Monsanto is that genetic modification is not problematic. Better check your references.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    @Jeffrey
    Sitting down, shutting off all stress and relaxing for an hour or two without a worry in the world
    Sounds like meditation, not smoking. :)
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited September 2011

"The incomplete teaching explains the defilement in impure things in order to eliminate the profane; the complete teaching explains the the defilement in pure things in order to eliminate the sacred." from Sayings of Pai-chang, Five Houses of Zen by Thomas Cleary
    It isn't about defilement. It is about health.
    The unfortunate history of tobacco may well be repeated with the current genetic modification of soybeans. Nearly all soy in the U.S. is genetically modified soy at this point in history.
    Tofu, tvp, and soy based vegetarian practitioners beware!
    http://responsibletechnology.org/article-gmo-soy-linked-to-sterility
    Were soybeans used in the sacred rituals of native americans too?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I thought the general consensus of the scientific community was that genetic modification of things such as soy beans was not problematic.
    They said the same thing about tobacco for many generations.
    The general consensus and lobbying efforts of Monsanto is that genetic modification is not problematic. Better check your references.
    Well, I just randomly picked 7 articles about the topic on the internet, skimmed the, and found nothing at all conclusive about any problem.

• Mountains, I mentioned animosity because smokers were characterized as living 'long stinky lives'.. I definitely agree that smoking is quite a health risk. That is clear. On the topic of this thread smoking a pipe and not inhaling is less risk than smoking a pack of cigarettes daily. I maybe smoke my pipe daily in temperate weather and not at all when it isn't nice out. The things I like about it are all emotional content. In no way does smoking tobacco produce a healthy thing. Well one exception is that it can attenuate antipsychotics side effects such as tiredness and carbohydrate cravings..

• edited September 2011

Sounds like meditation, not smoking. :)
    Smoking a cigarette is like eating a big mac for the mind )) It gives you a quick rush, is addictive and toxic and very bad for you. Pipe smoking is like a good, home cooked meal. Natural ingrediants )) Needs to be savoured and devoured slowly. Sure (if you eat it too fast or have it too often), like a good roast with veg and gravy, it is bad for you. In moderation, though, smoking a pipe is very similar to meditation: both lead to deep states of contemplation and and relaxation, both cultivate patience, inner peace and wisdom.