Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation; why I believe.

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics

My intuition tells me that existence does not end when I die.
I cant fathom my consciousness becoming nothingness.
Therefore, I exist in some form beyond death.

By extension, some kind of rebirth will take place after death.
This is what I feel in my gut.

As for the arguments;
1. Identical twins dont have the same personality.
2. Spiritual master eg dalai lama, ajahn chah, etc dont reject it.
3. The difference in babies' condition, place of birth, parent's
disposition & financial/political position means that
you can be born into priviledge or poverty.
How do you explain the difference/injustice?

Lastly, we are so used to using our mind to investigate things
in a 'scientific' manner. Yet we know that very often our mind
is unable to see the truth.
We also find that people in the Eastern world has a much easier
time accepting reincarnation.
Perhaps, its good sometimes to give the brain a rest and use a
different set of 'eyes' to consider something as subtle/complex
as reincarnation.

Comments

• I combined your posts into one, hope you don't mind.

Can you fathom your consciousness before birth?

1. Why would twins have the same personality? They are subject to different stimuli, so their personalities are shaped differently. Interestingly enough, they can have very similar personalities despite this.

2. Yup, but do you think a person who doesn't believe in rebirth would ever take Buddhism seriously enough to become a spiritual master?

3. Then all the people who were born into poor conditions deserved it?

Thanks for sharing.
  • @hermitwin There is a story that might interest you about an English man who believes his children who died were reincarnated in their next set of twins. It was captivaing because this man did not believe in reincarnation before this experience. The story was uploaded by discoverngc on youtube and is titled "Reincarnation, children remember past life, part 2". It is very compelling. My grandmother has had some very interesting results from past life regressions, however I've never been able to unearth anything. I am not sure if I possess an individual soul that moves from life to life, or if my soul after death is kind of broken down for a moment, then recomposed of other bits of many people's consciousness when it moves on to another life. However, I am the type of Buddhist who does believe in souls because members of my family and I have had encounters with ghosts (but that's a different and personal story in itself). I guess we'll know for certain after we die. Einstein said something about energy... that it never ends, it's always trans-mutating into something else (paraphrasing here)>
  • No problem, I cant type fast so I break up the passage.

One additional point.
    Many westerners came from Judeo-Christian Background.
    They have rejected the god that they cant see & touch.
    I believe there is a sense of " I didnt reject the imaginary
    god only to embrace another imaginery concept of reincarnation.
    No Thank you."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The difference in babies' condition, place of birth, parent's disposition & financial/political position means that you can be born into priviledge or poverty. How do you explain the difference/injustice?
    Once upon a time, not so long ago, peoples & nations with wealth & superior weapons, loaded their ships and colonolised the world. From these colonies, these people derived enormous wealth, from spice & rubber plantations, rainforest timbers and minerals, such as tin & gold. Further, some of these people also commenced the slave trade, from Africa to the Americans, and using slaves, these people further increased their wealth.

The children of these people, who acquired wealth via plunder & violence, were born into priviledge.

So what is this "injutice" being referred to?

Most wealth & priviledge is acquire via greed. What did the Buddha say about greed?

:coffee:
  • @hermitwin Oh I don't know about rejecting the concept. Gram was raised Irish Catholic yet she broke away all on her own in the 50's and fully embraced reincarnation (much to the shock of her family). Then cultural movements in the 60's and 70's introduced her to new religious views and she kind of built her own beliefs by tasting everything offered.
    Even my stone-cold Atheist dad surprised me one day by saying "You better believe we come back. I know I was a Native American in a past life." Very surprising because he is not the kind of guy to ever think about things like that. He said it so suddenly too. Upon reflection he has always been fascinated by American history and has a huge respect for nature. Curing deer hides "the way the indian's did" (it involved deer brains, smoke from rotting logs, and me gagging), making flint arrowheads and bows, sewing mocassins. He used to make baskets and beaded things, always concerned with accuracy and trying to use only materials that would have been available to Native American's. Even when we walked in the woods he'd tell me what the indian's ate, how they lived, how they walked quietly, how they tracked. His first horse was an appaloosa because that's a breed created by the Nez Perce tribe. His holding knowledge on Native American's is huge, and I fully believe if he didn't have us kids around he would have ended up becoming a crazy mountain man who lives off the land, wearing animal skins.... probably somewhere out west. But, he's secretive about his fascination because only us kids have witnessed his obsession with his hobbies and their accuracy. I asked him if he remembered anything from a past life and he gave me a dirty look because that's mushy talk, lol.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    American Indian wisdom and lore is truly admirable.
    Your dad's wiser than you think.
    Listen to him.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I had an orange tabby cat that lived with me for 16 1/2 years. He was the runt of his litter. Nobody wanted him for some reason and he was going to be thrown into the alley and left for dead at 3 weeks old, but my dad decided to pick him up, and my mom bottle fed him and he lived all the way to that ripe old age. The only name he would respond to was kitty, so that ended up being his name. He was like a brother to me. In his last moments he struggled to live, but he could no longer drink or eat, or even walk anymore. He just struggled to do anything but rest and he could have no more than 2 days left in him at most. So my parents decided to put him down. Before he was put down I sat with him petting him, telling him that we would meet again.

About 1 year later my mom wanted another cat to keep company for our female cat Xena who was still showing signs of grieving from losing her companion. We all expected to get a kitten. Something new that wasn't an orange tabby cat. Well some how my dad spotted an orange tabby cat that was 1 year old and looked exactly like Kitty. The face was spot on. We wanted a younger one, but my dad wanted this one because he claimed it was a reincarnation of Kitty.

It really looked just like him, it was as if you were staring Kitty right in the face as if he came back. It was the same story too. No one had picked up this cat for a year. The person in charge of the adoptions was so surprised that my dad wanted to pick him, because he was one year old and for some reason no one wanted him. He was even picked already and returned by another woman. So my dad ended up adopting him, and he has been with us since. Every other time I look at him I really do feel like he could be Kitty's reincarnation.
    edited April 2011
    I have searched thru at least ten books of Ajahn here, starting with his most well known books such as Bodinyana & A Taste of Freedom:

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/

I could not find one reference to reincarnation and only one about rebirth. However,the rebirth here was psychological rather than post-mortem.

Probably best to not include Ajahn Chah in supporting your veiwpoint.

:confused:
    It is the knowing which discerns the truth of the way things are. The knowing doesn't become delighted or sad with things. The condition of being delighted is 'birth' and the condition of being distressed is 'death'. If there is death there must be birth, if there is birth there must be death. This process of birth and death is vatta - the cycle of birth and death which continues on endlessly.

As long as the mind of the practitioner gets conditioned and moved around like this, there need be no doubt as to whether the causes for becoming and rebirth still remain; there is no need to ask anyone.

edited April 2011
    Yup, but do you think a person who doesn't believe in rebirth would ever take Buddhism seriously enough to become a spiritual master?
    Absolutely.

What makes one think belief in reincarnation will motivate practise?

In my opinion, it is non belief in rebirth that motivates practise.

In my opinion, when life is seen to be impermanent & unsatisfactory then there is no choice but to let go & take refuge in not-self & emptiness.

If we study the lives of the arahants, their motivation had little if anything to do with rebirth but, instead, they sought an end to unsatisfactoriness & disillusionment.

:-/
    Now at Rajagaha there was an annual event called the Hilltop Festival. Seats were arranged for both youths and they sat together to witness the celebrations. When there was occasion for laughter, they laughed; when the spectacles were exciting, they became excited; and they paid their fees for the extra shows. In this manner they enjoyed the festival for a second day; but on the third day their understanding was awakened and they could no longer laugh or get excited, nor did they feel inclined to pay for extra shows as they had done on the first days. Each of them had the same thought: "What is there to look at here? Before these people have reached a hundred years they will all have come to death. What we ought to do is to seek for a teaching of deliverance."

It was with such thoughts in mind that they took their seats at the festival. Then Kolita said to Upatissa: "How is this, my dear Upatissa? You are not as happy and joyous as you were on the other days. You seem now to be in a discontented mood, What is on your mind?"

"My dear Kolita, to look at these things here is of no benefit at all. It is utterly worthless! I ought to seek a teaching of deliverance for myself. That, my Kolita, is what I was thinking, seated here. But you, Kolita, seem to be discontented, too."

And Kolita replied: "Just as you have said, I also feel." When he knew that his friend had the same inclinations, Upatissa said: "That was a good thought of ours. But for those who seek a teaching of deliverance there is only one thing to do: to leave home and become ascetics. But under whom shall we live the ascetic life?"

The Life of Sariputta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel090.html

• shift, my answer;
    1.yes, I can. If I exist after I die, I existed before I was born.

Twins are genetically exact copies, I expect them to be the same.
    But I know a pair of twins; one is gay, the other is not.
    I beleive you cant choose to be gay or not.
    Of course that is another can of worms.

Yes, I believe you dont have to be buddhist to be enlightened.

A qualified yes. I dont want to be insensitive. People can be
    borned into terrible situations eg child of rape. But the fact is
    we are born into different worlds.

• DD, I agree, I wasn't talking about practice.
  • 'So what is this "injutice" being referred to? '
    DD, I beleieve karma is personal ie my father's karma is not my karma.
    edited April 2011
    I dont want to be insensitive. People can be
    borned into terrible situations eg child of rape.
    When a child is raped, what causes the rape. Something the child does or the violence, lust, insensitivity, insanity & ignorance of the rapist?

My opinion is you are placing the cause in the wrong place.

This is why, when rape occurs in the justice system, it is the rapist & not the victim that is sent to prison.

The Buddha himself did not blame the victim. For example, the Dhammapada states there are innocent victims:
    136. When the fool commits evil deeds, he does not realize (their evil nature). The witless man is tormented by his own deeds, like one burnt by fire.

137. He who inflicts violence on those who are unarmed, and offends those who are inoffensive, will soon come upon one of these ten states:

138-140 Sharp pain, or disaster, bodily injury, serious illness, or derangement of mind, trouble from the government, or grave charges, loss of relatives, or loss of wealth, or houses destroyed by ravaging fire; upon dissolution of the body that ignorant man is born in hell.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.10.budd.html

:-/
  • I mean a child borned to a woman who was raped.
  • hermitwin, I guess we just think differently, so I am not really going to understand where you're coming from.
  • that's alrite, otherwise we wont need the forum.
  • 2. Spiritual master eg dalai lama, ajahn chah, etc dont reject it.
    I have searched thru at least ten books of Ajahn here, starting with his most well known books such as Bodinyana & A Taste of Freedom:

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/

I could not find one reference to reincarnation and only one about rebirth. However,the rebirth here was psychological rather than post-mortem.

:confused:
    It is the knowing which discerns the truth of the way things are. The knowing doesn't become delighted or sad with things. The condition of being delighted is 'birth' and the condition of being distressed is 'death'. If there is death there must be birth, if there is birth there must be death. This process of birth and death is vatta - the cycle of birth and death which continues on endlessly.

As long as the mind of the practitioner gets conditioned and moved around like this, there need be no doubt as to whether the causes for becoming and rebirth still remain; there is no need to ask anyone.

That is not a rejection of reincarnation.
  • I will just say that I dont see how you have any responsibility if your parents are rich or not. What if you are born rich and 2 years later your parents lose it all? or 10 years later, what would that mean ?

I just dont see how a connection can even be made.

There is a passage in the Pali Text which hopefully someone can point me to, where he flat out states that thinking and dwelling about rebirth is pointless. It does seem to me that believing or not in rebirth has nothing to do with suffering.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Do you beleive in cause & effect?

People have always & will always ask the question why.
    I do not know better than any of you, esp DD.
    But that is how I answer these questions.
    And as disagreeable as it may seem, it is part of Buddhism.
    Perhaps a part of Buddhism that has no place in the west.

I believe the sutta that says it is not relevant to the
    end suffering, are reffering to questions about the beginning
    of the universe.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    My intuition tells me that existence does not end when I die. I cant fathom my consciousness becoming nothingness. Therefore, I exist in some form beyond death.

By extension, some kind of rebirth will take place after death. This is what I feel in my gut.
    This intuition is common, and can be explained convincingly by the emotional attachment to a continued existence. That's why there are so many post-mortem survival theories (reincarnation/rebirth included.) If this intuition is the primary basis for your belief, it's a reason to be skeptical, not credulous.
    I work in the genetics of complex traits. Personality is an extremely complex trait, influenced by far more than genetics. You don't need to invoke magic to explain variation beyond genetic causes, you just have to note that everyone's experience is different, and that experience shapes personalities.
    So what? That's just an argument from authority. Why should we believe those guys over our own experience?
    3. The difference in babies' condition, place of birth, parent's disposition & financial/political position means that you can be born into priviledge or poverty. How do you explain the difference/injustice?
    Seriously? You're seriously claiming that everyone who gets it in the neck deserves it on some cosmic level? And that for you, this is an appealing aspect of the post-mortem rebirth theory?
    Perhaps, its good sometimes to give the brain a rest and use a different set of 'eyes' to consider something as subtle/complex as reincarnation.
    I'm all for giving the brain a rest and relying on experience. But that is not what you're doing in this post. Your justifications are a typical mental fermentation, and belie a typical form of suffering.

• Similarly, it is not on the view that the world is eternal, that it is finite, that body and soul are distinct, or that the Buddha exists after death that a religious life depends.
    Whether these views or their opposites are held, there is still REBIRTH, there is old age, there is death, and grief, lamentation, suffering, sorrow, and despair...I have not spoken to these views because they do not conduce to an absence of passion, to tranquility, and Nirvana. And what have I explained?
    'Suffering have I explained, the cause of suffering, the destruction of suffering, and the path that leads to the destruction of suffering have I explained. For this is useful.'"
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    "...there is still REBIRTH, there is old age, there is death, and grief, lamentation, suffering, sorrow, and despair..."
    "Dhatu, we need a translation cleanup needed in aisle 10076.
    "I have not spoken to these views because they do not conduce to an absence of passion, to tranquility, and Nirvana. And what have I explained?
    'Suffering have I explained, the cause of suffering, the destruction of suffering, and the path that leads to the destruction of suffering have I explained. For this is useful.'"
    It's useful, whereas masturbating about rebirth ideas isn't. Can't argue with that!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I don't have an issue with rebirth myself; however, I find these argument rather weak. In showing how I think they're insufficient, I hope to help you improve them/reject by pointing out their weak areas. That way, you can present a stronger case the next time the occasion arises.

3. The difference in babies' condition, place of birth, parent's
    disposition & financial/political position means that
    you can be born into priviledge or poverty.
    How do you explain the difference/injustice?
    This example doesn't necessarily provide a good argument in favour of it. For example, the financial position of your parents can be do to their hard work, nothing you did in a previous life.

But to say that it was your good kamma to be born into a wealthy family implies that it was your good kamma in the past that made them, and by extension you, wealthy, not theirs. This, however, completely destroys the way kamma acts as a moral agency in the suttas, i.e., they're reaping the rewards of your good kamma so that you can reap it too, making their life and their actions not their own but simply a conduit for the ripening of your kamma.

Of course, you could make the argument that you past good deeds led you to be born to parents who are hard working, but how do you find such parents after death? This can't be overlooked. And again, you'd still have to answer the question, How much of their social status in life is due to their actions? Maybe it's just luck that someone gets wealthy parents. There is apparent chaos/randomness in the universe, after all.

Because randomness, at least at some level, can't be ruled out, it's difficult to say with any real degree of certainty that every event you experience in your life is completely determined by a previous cause, and that cause being your past actions. It also doesn't take into consideration the present actions of others that are creating these events, making their actions arguably your responsibility and not theirs if you insist on saying you being born into them is the result of your past actions.

None of this is strong enough to show that you're argument is wrong, but I think it at least goes to show some weak points in such an argument. It wouldn't hurt to think more about it and see where such things lead when taken to their logical conclusion. I find that can often help make arguments better (by filling them in) as much as it can show them to be unsatisfactory.
    This argument completely disregards the fact that genetic material isn't the sole determining factor in the development of an individual's personality. As ShiftPlusOne pointed out, they're subject to different stimuli, and because they're subject to separate experiences, their personalities are shaped differently. Even strict materialists deny that personality is entirely encoded in our genes and not influences by external stimuli, so this argument is also weak in my opinion.
    As far as arguments go, appeal to authority isn't a very strong one in general.
  • Hermitwin, what Buddhist tradition do you follow? I just wanted to say, in spite of what others are saying, your ideas are spot on with the teachings of Tibetan Buddhism.
  • Buddhism teaches that when a person dies they are reborn and that this process of death and rebirth will continue until Nirvana is attained. This raises the question : "What is the person?" Most religions believe that the core of the person, the real person, is the soul, a non-material and eternal entity that survives in the afterlife. Buddhism on the other hand says that the person is made up of thoughts, feelings and perceptions interacting with the body in a dynamic and constantly changing way. At death this stream of mental energy is re-established in a new body. Thus Buddhism is able to explain the continuity of the individual without recourse to the belief in an "eternal soul", an idea which contradicts the universal truth of impermanence. Different Buddhist traditions explain the process of rebirth differently. Some say that rebirth takes place immediately, others that it takes 49 days. Some say that there is an intermediate state (antarabhava) and others that there is not. All agree however that the circumstances into which one is reborn is conditioned by the sum total of the kamma created in the previous life.

Critics of the Buddhist doctrine of rebirth say that if there is no soul, only a changing stream of mental energy, then there could be no identity and thus to talk of a person being reborn or experiencing the results of good or bad actions done in the past, is meaningless. However this criticism fails to understand the phenomenon of identity in change. Even within a single life we can notice a person change, sometimes quite dramatically, and yet still be able to recognise them as the same person. This is possible because different aspects of the person changes at different velocities. For example, the complexion and amount of wrinkles on a person's face may change with age while the general shape of the face changes little. Again, a person may change their beliefs while holding them with the same intensity as they held their former ones or perhaps retain the same beliefs but in a more moderate way than before. To use a simile - the Ganges River is changing every moment and over the centuries its width, its course, the quantity and quality of the water it contains have all changed and yet it can still be recognised as the same river. Thus the idea of a dynamic personality does not contradict the idea of identity.

Other critics claim that rebirth was not a part of the Buddha's original teachings or that the Buddha copied the idea of rebirth from the Hindu doctrine of reincarnation. Both these claims are contradicted by the evidence. The doctrine of rebirth is an integral part of the earliest records of the Buddha's teachings as preserved in the Pali Tipitaka and there is no evidence that it is a later interpolation. An examination of pre-Buddhist Hindu literature shows that the idea of reincarnation or rebirth was not widely accepted. It is not mentioned in either the Vedas or the Brahmana Sutras. Several Upansads teach it while others condemn it as heresy. So the idea was apparently current before the Buddha but it was not widely accepted and it was certainly not a part of orthodox Hinduism, something that only happened much later, probably as a result of Buddhist influence.
    Just for reference, it's customary to provide a link when posting something verbatim from an online source.
  • Here is a video of twins carrying on a conversation from their past life:

• beingbeing Veteran
    But have you taken a step back back and thought about why is believing or not believing in reincarnation important for you? I think analyzing this could be helpful.
  • But have you taken a step back back and thought about why is believing or not believing in reincarnation important for you? I think analyzing this could be helpful.
    Ask this of the membership at large--it would make a good thread. Most people here feel strongly one way or the other, not just hermitwin.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited April 2011
    the word belief makes me cringe.

i am bat shit skeptical about reincarnation because it asserts a soul of some kind.

the buddha said there was no-self. thus no death. thus no immortality.

and from what i've experienced, consciousness is clear and empty as a blue sky in the summer.

here's food for thought:
    how can something become nothing and how can nothing become something?
  • I like hermitwin's quote describing a "stream of mental energy". A good description of what's referred to in Mahayana literature as "consciousness" or "mind".
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i don't remember my past lives, i will not remember this life in my future ones... therefore, i feel that contemplating on reincarnation is rather pointless. i used to whole-heartedly believe in reincarnation, but i realized the only thing that kept me believing was my ego. the thought that "i" didn't continue after this life was gone, was incredibly scary and i didn't like the sound of it. it was a process, but after thinking about it, i realized i can no longer support these concepts because they are imo "wishful thinking" and will only hinder my practice. i now believe in "rebirth", but i don't worry about the details too much anymore. just like they say that you should be in the moment, it is not helpful to contemplate on your future or past lives either. they are guesses and speculations at best and only distractions.
    edited April 2011
    the word belief makes me cringe.

i am bat shit skeptical about reincarnation because it asserts a soul of some kind.
    Not necessarily. From the Theravadin point of view (or at least from the point of view of those in Theravada who accept the idea of postmortem rebirth), rebirth is simply the continuation of a process—nothing 'remains,' nothing 'transmigrates,' there are merely fleeting phenomena that condition other fleeting phenomena in the interdependent process we call life.

Here, consciousness isn't seen as a static things going from life to life, but simply as one link in a complex causal chain, i.e., moments of consciousness arising and ceasing in rapid succession, with the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new consciousness due to the presence of craving (kind of like 'spooky action at a distance' where two entangled particles communicate with each other instantaneously, even over great distances). It's better to think of it as a transmission of information rather than the transmigration of some thing.

Thus, there can theoretically be continuity between lives without having to posit some type of permanent, unchanging consciousness that travels from life to life. That's why the term vinnanasota or 'stream of consciousness' is often used to describe the flow of conscious experience, even when presented within the context of rebirth.

Of course, one is free to reject this theory of rebirth as much as the theory that a soul or self travels from life to life, and there are interpretations of the suttas that can support a rejection of all such theories in favour of a single life approach, which I personally don't have a problem with. My only motivation here is to illustrate that the concept of rebirth doesn't necessarily assert a soul of some kind, even though it does, by necessity, assert a type of continuity that transcends a single birth and death.
  • is the desire imprinted onto consciousness?

or rather the information imprinted onto consciousness?
    edited April 2011
    is the desire imprinted onto consciousness?

or rather the information imprinted onto consciousness?
    Consciousness and craving are not the same thing, nor are they even things per se. My theory is that craving (tahna) is a very subtle but powerful aspect of our psychology. It's there, latent in the mind, waiting to exert its influence through mental fabrications by directing or at the very least encouraging the mind to feed upon sensory experiences via the five clinging-aggregates in an unhealthy way.

Due to craving, there is clinging (upadana); and due clinging, there is becoming (bhava). Becoming is a mental process, which arises due to the presence of clinging in the mind with regard to the five-clinging aggregates, and acts as a condition for the birth (jati) of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta). But according to those who accept the idea of postmortem rebirth, this process doesn't necessarily cease with death, and isn't just a metaphor. (If you're interested, I suggest checking out Thanissaro's book, The Paradox of Becoming.)

According to the teachings on dependent co-arising (paticcasamupadda) — a process of conditionality that's understood to occur moment to moment and over multiple lifetimes (non-literalists simply disregard the 'three-life' model, e.g., see Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination) — if there are sufficient conditions present, those conditions with inevitably result in future births.

One way to look at it is that a casual process can be self-sustaining, with causes creating effects, and effect acting as causes, creating feedback loops. And if you admit the possibility of immaterial causes and not just material ones, then the continuation of said process isn't limited by or to a single material body. And if you believe Bertrand Russell, the more we understand about matter (i.e., energy), the more the word itself becomes "no more than a conventional shorthand for stating causal laws concerning events" (An Outline of Philosophy).
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi All,

Maybe we should have a competition...Let's settle this thing once and for all!

Let's tally up (after, say, 2 or 3 weeks) the number number of posts in the "Reincarnation; why I believe" thread and then compare this to the number of posts in the "Reincarnation; why I don't believe" thread. Whichever has more posts at the end of the pre-determined time wins.

So...thanks DD for the 4 points you gave to our team. :vimp:

Metta,

Guy
    edited April 2011
    There is a passage in the Pali Text which hopefully someone can point me to, where he flat out states that thinking and dwelling about rebirth is pointless. It does seem to me that believing or not in rebirth has nothing to do with suffering.
    There are two levels of teachings.

If one wishes to gain enlightenment & ending suffering, thinking and dwelling about rebirth is pointless.

If one is not committed to gaining enlightenment & ending suffering, thinking and dwelling about rebirth is not pointless.

Anti-rebirth here:
    These are the ideas fit for attention that he does not attend to. Through his attending to ideas unfit for attention and through his not attending to ideas fit for attention, both unarisen fermentations arise in him, and arisen fermentations increase.

"This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.than.html
    Pro-rebirth here:
    "And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the other world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the other after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html
    Please note, the pro-rebirth view sides with effuents [asava: toxic mental pollution] and results in acquisitions [upadi: attachment; burdens]. The pro-rebirth views promotes non-harming & was the same as the pre-Buddhist beliefs of Indian culture. The Buddha has said unambiguously in this discourse rebirth view is not a factor of the transcendent supramundane (noble) path.

:)

• I believe. But I am sleepy and cannot further discuss. ZzzzZzz but I really do believe ^_^ because energy cannot be created or destroyed
    With love Jen
  • Hi All,

Maybe we should have a competition...Let's settle this thing once and for all!

Let's tally up (after, say, 2 or 3 weeks) the number number of posts...
    Lame! Let's have a genocidal religious war instead.

You'll find very comfortable accommodations in our re-education camps, I promise.
    edited April 2011
    Thus, there can theoretically be continuity between lives without having to posit some type of permanent, unchanging consciousness that travels from life to life. That's why the term vinnanasota or 'stream of consciousness' is often used to describe the flow of conscious experience, even when presented within the context of rebirth.
    hi Jason

My view is this term "vinnanasota" is found in one obscure passage in the scriptures and does not have the meaning you are implying.

The Buddha spoke in countless discourses any kind of consciousness, either gross or subte, is IMPERMANENT.

The sense of continuity we have is rooted in memory.

Memory is not consciousness. The Buddha taught consciousness is mere sense awareness, namely, six kinds functioning thru the eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body & mind.

The Buddha taught there is no arising of consciousness without a sense organ.

“Sāti, is it true that the following pernicious view has arisen in you: ‘As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another'?”

“Exactly so, venerable sir. As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is the same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another.”

“What is that consciousness, Sāti?”

“Venerable sir, it is that which speaks and feels and experiences here and there the result of good and bad actions.”

Misguided man, to whom have you ever known me to teach the Dhamma in that way? Misguided man, have I not stated in many ways consciousness to be dependently arisen, since without a condition there is no origination of consciousness? But you, misguided man, have misrepresented us by your wrong grasp and injured yourself and stored up much demerit; for this will lead to your harm and suffering for a long time.”

Just as fire is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it burns - when fire burns dependent on logs, it is reckoned as a log fire; when fire burns dependent on faggots, it is reckoned as a faggot fire; when fire burns dependent on grass, it is reckoned as a grass fire; when fire burns dependent on cow-dung, it is reckoned as a cow-dung fire; when fire burns dependent on chaff, it is reckoned as a chaff fire; when fire burns dependent on rubbish, it is reckoned as a rubbish fire - so too, consciousness is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it arises.

When consciousness arises dependent on the eye and forms, it is reckoned as eye-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on the ear and sounds, it is reckoned as ear-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on the nose and odors, it is reckoned as nose-consciousness; When consciousness arises dependent on tongue and flavors, it is reckoned as tongue-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on body and tangibles, it is reckoned as body consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on the mind and mind-objects, it is reckoned as mind-consciousness.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books9/Bhikkhu_Bodhi_Mahatanhasankhaya_Sutta.htm
  • wow, I underestimated how much scripture quoting Buddhists use.
  • And what is wrong view? 'There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed. There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions. There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings; no priests or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is wrong view.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html
  • SabreSabre Veteran

If we study the lives of the arahants, their motivation had little if anything to do with rebirth but, instead, they sought an end to unsatisfactoriness & disillusionment.

I have yet to read or hear an enlightened one who literally denies rebirth. The fact they don't talk about it much doesn't say they actually deny it. Yes, the Buddha said don't think about it too much, it is mainly a waste of time even if you know it as fact, but that doesn't automatically imply he didn't believe in it himself.

A lot of monks claim they literally know it, like many Mahayana monks, but for example also the arahant Ajahn Maha Bua who literally says this is what the Buddha taught and it is important to know.

Belief in rebirth is not necessary to be a good Buddhist, of course. :) Nobody should just accept what they can't accept, that's very wise. Everybody can have their own opinion on this matter. But why bring it like the Buddha didn't teach it? Because he did. Is that really that hard to accept?

The only thing you have to do is keep the matter open.

Metta,
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Good arguments I think.

Besides from the realizations some have had that go beyond arguments, it is indeed also quite obvious (at least to me) if you look around you. People are born with a personality. Children with the same parents and upbringing can be totally different, already from a very early age. Also people have obvious talents. Some are very intelligent, others not so much. Some get easily upset, some are easily bored. Some are great artists or musicians. Where does this come from? Is it just genes? I don't think so. How can genes make somebody a good musician? How could Beethoven automatically play the piano like that when he was just 7 years old? ;) That's not logical if you just look at biology.

Also a lot of people have past life memories which can actually be checked. A lot of good research has been carried out on this subject. I am reading work by Ian Stevenson on this matter. If you read it you'll be amazed how accurate he is not to be biased when researching this. There is also a documentary called "the boy who lived before". It is not a really convincing case of past life memory, but if you look at it it'll at least make you see the boy is not just making it up for fun.

This 'force' called life.. how else to explain it than the way the Buddha did? Can one life with so many aspects to it just come out of nothing? Don't think so. At what moment does a fetus become conscious and what causes it? The most logical explanation I can come up with is actual rebirth, however strange it may sound to some.

I also used to be quote agnostic in this, but if you think about it at least it becomes a possibility I would say.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011

I heard Ajahn Chah told his monks he actually saw a rebirth happening once after a good meditation. If this is actually true or not, I don't know, but he saw no need to share his view on rebirth with the lay-society, which I can understand. It is not of major importance and in Thailand most people coming to a Buddhist monastery already believe it anyway, so no need to convince them. But that doesn't mean he didn't believe in it.

Of course, again, to just believe it because others say so would be stupid. You've got a point there. That way you could start to believe anything. :)

Metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2011
    My view is this term "vinnanasota" is found in one obscure passage in the scriptures and does not have the meaning you are implying.
    Perhaps, but I feel that my understanding of it is relatively correct. Of course, I could be wrong, but others knowledgeable on the subject have come to similar conclusions, so I'm not yet convinced that I am. For example, from Piyadassi Thera's book, Dependent Origination:
    In the Aneñjasappāya Sutta, the vipāka viññaṇa is referred to as saṃvattanikaṃ viññāṇaṃ, the consciousness that links on, that proceeds in one life as vipāka from the kamma in the former life.

When it is said, "the consciousness that links on," it does not mean that this consciousness abides unchanged, continues in the same state without perishing throughout this cycle of existence. Consciousness is also conditioned, and therefore is not permanent. Consciousness also comes into being and passes away yielding place to new consciousness. Thus this perpetual stream of consciousness goes on until existence ceases. Existence in a way is consciousness. In the absence of consciousness no “being” exists in this sentient world.
    And besides Piyadassi Thera, who comes from a more traditional Theravada background, people like Prof. Gombrich, scholar of Pali and Sanskrit, founder of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies and past president of the Pali Text Society, and Prof. Kalupahana, Buddhist scholar and professor philosophy at the University of Hawaii, are also aware of this term and express a similar understanding of it. For example, from Gombrich's What the Buddha Thought:
    Famously, the Buddha's approach to life's problems was pragmatic. Our problems are urgent, and irrelevant theorizing is a silly as refusing to receive treatment for an arrow wound until you know the name of the man who shot the arrow. Today we see the world as in perpetual motion, and that reminds people of the Buddhist principle of impermanence. True, the Buddha saw our experience as an ever-changing process, a stream of consciousness — the literal Pali equivalent of that expression does occur. But we are talking physics, whereas the Buddha was talking psychology. (67)
    And from Kalupahana's Buddhist Philosophy, A Historical Analysis:
    All this is evidence that it is consciousness that serves as a connecting link between two lives, and this, of course is unequivocally stated in the early Buddhist texts. Several times it is mentioned that a person who has developed extrasensory perception is able "to perceive a man's unbroken flux of consciousness established both in this world and in the next." This stream of consciousness (vinnanasota) is the same as the stream of becoming (bhavasota) mentioned often in the early discourses.

It is important to note that in the early texts there is no mention of this consciousness surviving even for a moment without the support of a psychophysical personality. In other words, early Buddhism does not contribute to a theory of disembodied existence. (52)
    The Buddha spoke in countless discourses any kind of consciousness, either gross or subte, is IMPERMANENT.
    Hm, I don't recall saying that any consciousness is permanent. Please refresh my memory as to where I said that it was.
    The sense of continuity we have is rooted in memory.

Memory is not consciousness. The Buddha taught consciousness is mere sense awareness, namely, six kinds functioning thru the eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body & mind.
    Yes, that's a good point. Memory is an important aspect of continuity, especially when it comes to identity. However, is memory the only aspect that contributes to continuity? I would say no.
    Misguided man, to whom have you ever known me to teach the Dhamma in that way? Misguided man, have I not stated in many ways consciousness to be dependently arisen, since without a condition there is no origination of consciousness? But you, misguided man, have misrepresented us by your wrong grasp and injured yourself and stored up much demerit; for this will lead to your harm and suffering for a long time.”

Just as fire is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it burns - when fire burns dependent on logs, it is reckoned as a log fire; when fire burns dependent on faggots, it is reckoned as a faggot fire; when fire burns dependent on grass, it is reckoned as a grass fire; when fire burns dependent on cow-dung, it is reckoned as a cow-dung fire; when fire burns dependent on chaff, it is reckoned as a chaff fire; when fire burns dependent on rubbish, it is reckoned as a rubbish fire - so too, consciousness is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it arises.
    I just want to point out that it seems to me the Buddha rebukes Sati in MN 38 for his idea of consciousness as a static entity (i.e., "it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another") — explaining that consciousness arises in dependence on certain causes and condition — but not the idea of rebirth in general.

Unlike Sati, I don't hold the view that it's "this same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another." Nor does Theravada. Instead of positing some type of permanent, unchanging consciousness that travels from life to life, rebirth is described in terms of moments of dependently arisen consciousness arising, persisting for a brief period, and then ceasing in a successive causal stream, a process that doesn't necessarily cease at death.

As I said before, one is free to reject this theory of rebirth as much as the theory that a soul or self travels from life to life, and there are interpretations of the suttas that can support a rejection of all such theories in favour of a single life approach, which I personally don't have a problem with. My only motivation here is to illustrate that the concept of rebirth doesn't necessarily assert a soul of some kind, even though it does, by necessity, assert a type of continuity that transcends a single birth and death.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    I’m not a believer in reincarnation.
    I tried for some years to be one and I even thought I knew some things about previous lives.
    (for instance as a kid I would never wear shoes in the house and would practically always sit with crossed legs; which I thought pointed at an Asian previous life)
    But the idea just didn’t stick.

But even when I believed (or at least tried to leave it open) I always thought there was a problem with the concept. I find it difficult to explain.

The point is I would guess there’s a difference between “a consciousness” and “my consciousness”.

When my actions and cravings produce “a consciousness” and this other consciousness experiences the result of my actions that’s a shame. But it is not a problem. It would be like getting drunk and knowing some other person would have a headache the next day. Sad but acceptable.

When my actions and cravings produce “my consciousness” in another body, that is a problem. It would be like getting drunk and knowing I will have a headache the next day.
    But, when this is the case, what is transferred is more than just karma; it is something that can be called me. And what - in Buddhist terms – would be that “me’?

• ''As far as arguments go, appeal to authority isn't a very strong one in general. ''

^^ well listening to somebody who was so say, liberated and enlightened might help a little don't you think?
  • It matter not one jot what you believe. It does matter what you do.