Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have you a sangha you go to often?

edited April 2011 in Sanghas
I´m interested in how people practice and if they go to a sangha regularly.
I mostly study at home, but sometimes I go to a local tibetan buddhist sangha. I like the people there but I don´t feel at home with the tradition. I feel that zen or theravada fits me better as a tradition.
I have visit other centers but I don´t feel at home with the people there. So it is a little dilemma.

So how about you? Have you find a sangha that you like and support your meditation practice? How often do you go there?

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I go to a local tibetan buddhist sangha. I like the people there but I don´t feel at home with the tradition.
    In my experience, Tibetan Buddhist Sanghas are like this. I have found then welcoming, friendly & not pushy at all. In fact, I used to receive alot of respect at a Tibetan Buddhist Sangha when I explained certain teachings in a Theravada way in discussions. Those listening appreciated the clarity. The Sangha had no issues with me hanging out there and, in fact, were very happy when I volunteered to be their librarian.

If you need support for your meditation practice then most Sanghas are OK. Generally most meditation halls or shrine rooms will energise one's practise. Just take advantage of the good & have equinimity with what does not suit you, is my advice. Developing equinimity, friendliness & unconditional acceptance is also practise.

Kind regards

:)

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    If you need support for your meditation practice then most Sanghas are OK. Generally most meditation halls or shrine rooms will energise one's practise. Just take advantage of the good & have equinimity with what does not suit you, is my advice. Developing equinimity, friendliness & unconditional acceptance is also practise.
    Well said, friend. :)
  • Hi Julia

Same here, the available traditions didn't resonate with me. Rather than going to a center of some sort, I regarded my family as sangha. But that was not always supporting practise, not always leading to wholesome states. Thus I went into the forest. The various animals and trees were my sangha. Breathing awareness became my returning home, even later while at work or driving a car. And it`s all for free.

What does it take for you to be at home?
  • What does it take for you to be at home?
    One breath... :om:

• I have but I seldom go.
    The best sangha I have found is the BSWA online sangha.

http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/
  • Unfortunately I do not have one. I would love to find a temple or meditation center, something, to go to from time to time. But alas, I live in Jesusland and there's nothing of the sort anywhere near that I could reasonably get to.
  • We are very fortunate to have a large and magnificent temple to practice in. We also have guiding venerables who give us lessons on theories and practices on a weekly basis. All members gets the regular opprtunity to help the temple with various activities to promote Buddhism to the wider community.

:)

I hope to transfer merits to the members on here without a Sangha so you may encounter the right conditions soon!
  • I live in McMormonland (aka, Utah) so the closest sangha to me is over an hour away. So I practice at home. I'm lucky enough to have an awesome husband, who helped me set up our spare room as my meditation room. I have a small altar that I try to practice at daily.
  • The only sanghas in my area are a NKT (no thanks) and a Zen group (not my bag either). I'm left to my own devices... Next closest one is a 2+ hour drive in any direction.

• @Mountains, I'm curious as to why the Zen group doesn't work for you.
  • @Mountains, I'm curious as to why the Zen group doesn't work for you.
    Same here!