Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

To all the "pro" meditators

RicRic
edited April 2011 in Meditation
So Ive been trying to meditate for a month or so, but in the past month I was trying all sorts of meditations. Ive finally decided I just want to cultivate mindfulness through sitting meditation, just observing the breath and when a thought appears observing it until it goes away and moving back to the breath. Simple...(yet hard)

My goal is to achieve at least 40 min once a day. I would like to know from the "pros" how long did it take for you guys to build up your time? and did you build up your time? ie. first starting with 20 min, 25,30... or did you just keep trying to go for as long as you could? Do you do rituals and have your own private dedicated space? or do you just plop on the floor and start?

Also one important question, if you could only meditate once, would you do it at night or in the morning ?

Im having a hard time, I think I need to find a place where I just meditate and have a bit of a ritual just to get my mind ready to start.

Comments

• I started at 10 min a session and have currently worked up to about 30-35 min over the course of 2 months of daily practice. Some days I do 2 sessions but typically one session of 30 min in the evening after work and after taking a shower.

I stretch before hand and use a few minutes to cultivate mindfulness of the importance and necessity of meditation and the goals I wish to achieve with that evening's practice. When I have reached the end of my planned period of time, I take refuge in the jewels and stretch again. It's best not to rush out away from your seat. Take time to relish the peace and focus gained by your efforts.

Don't get frustrated if you don't see immediate results. I continue to take longer and longer periods as typically I am most concentrated the further into the session I go.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    A pretty standard period is 25 minutes.
    If you gradually get used to meditating such a period you are doing great.

For me it took a few years before I got frustrated about this period being over too soon. That's when I switched to the forty minutes.

I light two oil-lamps, burn incense and ring a bell.
    That’s enough to get the Pavlov-response.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It's probably par for the course to adopt the heroine addict's creed when beginning to sit: If one's good, two's better. A better attitude, in my opinion, is just constancy. Make a promise, keep a promise: If you promise to sit for 10-20-30-40-50-60 minutes tomorrow morning at 6:14, then do it. And do it again. And do it again. And do it again. If, by chance, you miss a sitting (the plumbing breaks, there's a family emergency or whatever) do not say, "I couldn't do it because...." Say rather, "I choose NOT to sit." In this way, you will keep your promise.

Start small. Promise yourself 10 minutes (or whatever seems do-able) tomorrow. When tomorrow comes, look forward to the next day and see when there might be time and then renew your promise. Do this for a week. At the end of the week, reflect on how the week has gone. Was it too hard? Was it at poorly-chosen times? On reflection, how did things work out. Revise your upcoming schedule accordingly ... sit a little longer, sit a little shorter ... make the corrections and then go forward for another week. And then reflect again. It may take patience and determination, but constancy will build strength.

I like zenff's suggestion about little add-on's ... incense, candle, bell, statue, water, bows, chanting. Always make sure you are neat and clean when coming to your meditation site. Make sure whatever you use as an altar is likewise neat and clean. Always leave the site as neat and clean as you made it.

If you're unsure of the time, get an egg timer and, if you decide to sit for twenty minutes, set the timer for that amount. Do not sit less. Do not sit more. Just keep your promise ... this promise. If you decide to sit longer, let the timer do the work.

Don't fret about a wandering mind. That's how minds are made. Just keep up a patient, constant practice and the mind will naturally calm down. Never mind if it was a good sitting or bad ... even when the mind is an utter mess, something happens during sitting.

Attention and constancy.

Best wishes.

• edited April 2011
    how long did it take for you guys to build up your time?
    45 minutes, but full lotus took a little longer.
    and did you build up your time? ie. first starting with 20 min, 25,30... or did you just keep trying to go for as long as you could?
    I kept trying. Time was never an issue, but quality took some time, naturally.
    Do you do rituals and have your own private dedicated space? or do you just plop on the floor and start?
    I just plop on the floor, in the car, work break, whatever is sufficiently quiet.
    Also one important question, if you could only meditate once, would you do it at night or in the morning ?
    Doesn`t really matter. In the morning, the mind is still fresh and flexible, mindfulness can be trained. But in the evening, quality of sleep can be improved, e.g. to cure illness.
    Im having a hard time, I think I need to find a place where I just meditate and have a bit of a ritual just to get my mind ready to start.
    Just do it.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Hi Ric,

I wouldn't consider myself pro, but have some years of experience, so I encountered the same issues you are facing. It's best to take advice from better teachers or books on meditation, but maybe my advice can give you some ideas on how to plan your meditation anyway.

I did not really build up my time. I started without any timer and just sat until I thought it was enough. A practice I did for a while was kindly watching the breath, then usually (esp. when beginner) there comes a time you want to stop meditating. My training was to find the comfort one more time before I could leave the cushion. This proved to be a good way to lengthen the meditation time and gave some insights in how to tackle restlessness.

I sit wherever I like, sometimes on my bed, sometimes in the sun, sometimes on the couch etc. But I must say a space dedicated to meditation can really help and I also have this. No real rituals here, sometimes I emphasize the 5 precepts after a meditation or I share my gratitude towards the buddha/dhamma/sangha, but nothing really fancy. When I begin I just sit. Some light a candle or burn some incense to get the mood, this can be helpful, but I stopped that because I don't see or smell it when I'm in meditation anyway. ;)

Morning or night.. depends on how I wake up I guess. :D In the morning your mind can be calm, but it is also still a bit dull usually. Some days I totally skipped it, because I didn't want it to become a chore. I do it for happiness, not to train a strong willpower. (will is actually the main problem in meditation)

With metta,
    Sabre
  • observing it until it goes away and moving back to the breath. Simple...(yet hard)

If you're having a hard time with concentration, I strongly recommend walking meditation, either as a "warm-up" to sitting meditation, or as an exclusive practice for a few weeks.

When I know my concentration will be weak (such as after a frantic day, or watching a stimulating movie), this is what I do and it helps big time.

Walking is a more pronounced sensation, thus making it easier for your mind to focus on it. It helps with restlessness and sleepiness, common problems for beginners.

Here's a good video:

Keep in mind that the parts about attaching words to phenomena, and stopping walking when there are distractions, are optional.

Here's a book that emphasizes the importance of walking meditaiton:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Pandita/html/morality.html#Walking
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Trying "all sorts of meditations" is one of the things my teacher cautioned against. There are many valid ways to meditate. Pick one and keep at it.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I started at 10 mins, then gradually over time when I felt comfortable with 10 mins I increased it to 15 mins, I have kept increasing it until I got to 30 mins, now I am leaving it at this for a while. Also I try to meditate three times a day, however, not all of them are 30 mins, and not all are in a sitting position, for example I sometimes try walking meditation. Anyway I always try and get at least one 30 min meditation a day. I always make a point of going for refugee as well, and try to keep it ritualistic with a statue of the Buddha and candles when I am sitting down at home meditating. I do this to help me to relax and get in the right frame of mind for meditation. Lastly you do not need to meditate with your eye's closed, or just on your breath, for example I meditate with mine half open and sometimes focus my attention on say the flame of a candle or the statue of Buddha, and then go to breath, basically its all down to the person what they feel most comfortable with and what they feel benefits them most.

Metta to all sentient beings.
  • Im having a hard time, I think I need to find a place where I just meditate and have a bit of a ritual just to get my mind ready to start.
    What challenges are you encountering?
    My goal is to achieve at least 40 min once a day. I would like to know from the "pros" how long did it take for you guys to build up your time? and did you build up your time? ie. first starting with 20 min, 25,30...
    A few weeks, IIRC. (Ten years ago this month!) Best way with any meditation practice is to "work the edge:" do something which makes you a bit uncomfortable, but which you can still handle without struggle.
    ...or did you just keep trying to go for as long as you could?
    Pick a specific duration. Stick to it until you've done it comfortably. Then increase the duration by a few minutes.
    Do you do rituals and have your own private dedicated space?
    Nope. I had to fly to Australia over the weekend for a family emergency. When I wasn't sleeping, eating, accomodating my neighbors' needs for conversation or stretching my legs and using the loo, I was doing formal meditation. (Yes, I'm bragging.) Generally, I do some stretching before sitting, but for purely functional reasons. (I usually sit seiza, and my patellae grind against my knees if I don't stretch my thighs.)
    Also one important question, if you could only meditate once, would you do it at night or in the morning?
    Morning. It will be easier for you.
  • Trying "all sorts of meditations" is one of the things my teacher cautioned against. There are many valid ways to meditate. Pick one and keep at it.

But is walking meditation really a different sort of meditation? It's still mindfulness/Vipassana meditation. It's not like jumping from Vipassana to TM to Reiki to Christian contemplation.

And many Vipassana introductory retreats/classes teach alternating between sitting, walking and/or eating meditation as a standard practice.

I personally regret not being introduced to walking meditation sooner. When I first tried it I was stunned by the similarities to breath meditation, how it easily complemented it, and how quickly and deep concentration could go.

Incidentally, Gunaratana advocated meditating in equal parts laying, sitting, standing and walking. I don't do this, and perhaps this regimen is only for hardcore meditators.
  • I would start with 15 minutes a day. First few sessions 5. Then when you are a bit comfortable go to 45 in one go. A test. I wouldn't do 45 all the time early on just occasionally. Its a different experience. There is a period where you go bonkers wanting it to end and then that extinguishes (at least my experience) and it is peaceful.

So build up from 5 to 15. Test 45 but don't feel you have to get there every time at least for the first 6 months.

I have been meditating for 9-10 years and currently I just do 5 minutes walking meditation in the morning, a guided tape 45 minute body scan, and a 15 minute sitting with the breath.

I have gone spells with more or even no meditation at times.
  • Thanks guys.

Ive been getting to 30 min without problem, its after the 30 that things get complicated. I just get overwhelmed by wanting to stop and it becomes a struggle, somewhat intense. You guys gave a lot of good advice that I will try to implement. Most important is that I need patience.
  • edited April 2011
    Ive been getting to 30 min without problem, its after the 30 that things get complicated.
    That's when a movie gets tense too. Sit through it. Unlike most movies it's worth it.
  • I just get overwhelmed by wanting to stop and it becomes a struggle, somewhat intense.
    Any sense of why you want to stop?
  • I just get overwhelmed by wanting to stop and it becomes a struggle, somewhat intense.
    Any sense of why you want to stop?

Its not that my thoughts are dark or hard to deal with. Its a restlessness and although I dont hear these voices I get a kinda aggressive feeling of "enough! this is boring, this sucks, go do something else". Its almost like my mind is demanding to be entertained.

One time I was internally yelling for the alarm clock to strike...hehe

I think ive become too good at distracting my mind and now its kinda hard to stop. Ive come to study Buddhism mainly because I realized how im constantly being taken by thoughts.

• When they arise, try also attending to the feelings of aggression or restlessness, along with attending to the breath. Let us know how it goes.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    So Ive been trying to meditate for a month or so, but in the past month I was trying all sorts of meditations. Ive finally decided I just want to cultivate mindfulness through sitting meditation, just observing the breath and when a thought appears observing it until it goes away and moving back to the breath. Simple...(yet hard)

My goal is to achieve at least 40 min once a day. I would like to know from the "pros" how long did it take for you guys to build up your time? and did you build up your time? ie. first starting with 20 min, 25,30... or did you just keep trying to go for as long as you could? Do you do rituals and have your own private dedicated space? or do you just plop on the floor and start?

At the same place as you and taking the same path.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

One time I was internally yelling for the alarm clock to strike...hehe

That is quite normal actually. I can't even remember how many times that has happened. A LOT! Most prominently during a retreat, when you are not allowed to just get up whenever you want. Nearly everyone that attends a retreat describes the same experience. "When is he going to ring that god damm bell! OMG I can't take it anymore!" But after a while, even that disappears and then everything is ok again. To sit there and just feel this "I can't take it anymore!" feeling is quite interesting because eventually your mind will give up on resisting and then it will disappear just like that. Then it will appear again and then disappear again, and it will keep doing that over and over. To sit through that appearing and disappearing process is very good practice IMO. Many people just get up after they don't feel like doing it anymore, which means they never get to experience that disappearing. But experiencing that disappearing is a valuable experience because it shows you just how unsubstantial and fragile those "I can't take it anymore" feelings are.

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Indeed, I remember at my first sesshin 'Ring the "§$( bell, ring the "§=( bell'
    And at another sesshin which did not allow any movement whatsoever it was so painful that I wanted to cry, but each day ending at 10pm was just like that. And now sometimes almost no sounds, no thoughts arise at all. Just peace. As my old friend used to say, it won't happen overnight but it will happen. Or can happen. Blessings.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Sometimes you are yelling for the clock to go, other times you feel sad because time is up even after more than an hour. I think you are doing great. Keep practicing and remember it should be fun. If you start cultivating an annoyance to meditation just take it slower would be my advice because that worked beautifully for me.

I think buddhajunkie has a good point with walking meditation. You might like to try it, it is really a helpful additional type of meditation and I also wish I tried it earlier. A lot of people I know think about it the same way, they love it.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • So Ive been trying to meditate for a month or so, but in the past month I was trying all sorts of meditations. Ive finally decided I just want to cultivate mindfulness through sitting meditation, just observing the breath and when a thought appears observing it until it goes away and moving back to the breath. Simple...(yet hard)

Hi Ric

I vote with genkaku, but other than that I also try to regularly attend sesshins and the like where choice is no longer relevant. Then I am at peace :cool:

To the other again - find what works for you. The space that is important. The mood you want in it. The serenity, the sacredness of the event, the respect to yourself for what you are doing. Start little and then build up your habit, your intention and finally your real commitment - which means you finally take this seriously.

With very best wishes for your meditation and thereby your practice. May it come to fruition.

Abu