Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samadhi - Teaching by Ajahn Chah

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi Floating_Abu,

If you like that you should really read Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond by Ajahn Chah's pupil Ajahn Brahm. He may put a little too much emphasis on the jhanas, but teaches the same (unsurprisingly ;) ) and I learned a lot from that book. I believe a part of it can be found for free online.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • @Floating_Abu
    That was a nice read, very insightful. Thanks.
  • I liked it. Very serendipitous post considering I've spent all day looking for insight on Anapanasati and end my day with that reading. Thanks
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I liked it also, specifically the following:
    Today I would like to ask you all "Are you sure yet, are you certain in meditation practice?" I ask because these days there are many people teaching meditation, both monks and laypeople, and I'm afraid you may be subject to wavering and doubt.
    edited April 2011
    ...but teaches the same (unsurprisingly ;)
    I do not have such a perception.

Has Ajahn Brahm ever said: "Samadhi is capable of bringing much harm to the meditator"? Has Ajahn Brahm ever said: "So, there can be right samadhi and wrong samadhi"? I recall Ajahn Brahm has spoken to the contrary.

Has Ajahn Brahm ever said: "In any posture, we are fully aware of the birth of happiness and unhappiness"?

In all of Ajahn Chah's books in the internet, he regards the "birth" in Dependent Origination as being the birth an emotional mental state and the birth of an ego state.

But Ajahn Brahm regards the birth in Dependent Origination as the rebirth of a new live. Ajahn Brahm has gone to great lengths to repudiate the way Dependent Origination was taught by Ajahn Chah.

Ajahn Brahm has rejected many of Ajahn Chah's teachings. Ajahn Brahm does not teach the same as Ajahn Chah.

:)
  • DD, have you ever put your opinions to Brahm?
    I would love to see his response.
  • We could invite him over here. :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    ...but teaches the same (unsurprisingly ;)
    I do not have such a perception.
    [..]
    Ajahn Brahm has rejected many of Ajahn Chah's teachings. Ajahn Brahm does not teach the same as Ajahn Chah.

Hi DD,

This is in the meditation forum and not a question about rebirth. Those discussions we've had before and it is just a waste of time bringing them up again and again - it's already clear enough you have a different understanding of Buddhism than how it is usually interpreted. The teaching about rebirth is just a small part of the book by Brahm, so no need to say the entire teachings are different just because there is this one aspect you think Ajahn Chah didn't teach. :)

Anyway back to the subject, I think it can be quite clear Ajahn Chah wouldn't have asked & allowed his pupil to found a monastery if he didn't trust his ability to teach meditation as he was taught. So that's one of the reasons I suggest everybody who likes this teaching by Chah to read the teachings of Ajahn Brahm also. Everybody can decide for themselves if it suits them, but if you look deep you'll see it is the same teachings, for example about what attachment to samadhi means and how to overcome it, this is in the book. Also how emotions become and disappear and how to observe them without attachments is in there.

It's just a great book which helped me a lot in my meditation practice and I hope it can help others as well.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi All,

While we are on the subject of arguing about who taught what and who is right and who is wrong...Ajahn Brahm just gave a talk about views, opinions, arguments and disagreements...watch this space (should be available in the next couple of days): http://dhammaloka.org.au/downloads.html

Metta,

Guy
  • There's an excellent talk I highly recommend, which I heard Ajahn Sumedho give at Amaravati Monastery last year called "Who Needs Enlightenment When I Have My Opinions". (He was also a pupil of Ajahn Chah)

You can find it on the page here, dated 8th August 2010 :

http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.php/teachings/audio
  • My opinions most strenuously resent that dismissive tone!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Actually I thought we were on the subject of right vs wrong meditation and not right vs wrong opinions. :D

That's actually quite the opposite haha. :D For to have good meditation you throw all your opinions out of the window.

But I guess that was just an opinion of where the initial post in this thread was pointing to :D

With metta,
    Sabre
  • edited April 2011
    Actually I thought we were on the subject of right vs wrong meditation and not right vs wrong opinions. :D

My apologies, I was just responding to GuyC's post with a talk on the same subject from another teacher from the Forest Tradition. Really worth listening to even if if is off the main topic !

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Thanks Dazzle. :)
  • You are welcome everyone and thanks for your comments.
    edited April 2011
    This is in the meditation forum and not a question about rebirth. Those discussions we've had before and it is just a waste of time bringing them up again and again - it's already clear enough you have a different understanding of Buddhism than how it is usually interpreted. The teaching about rebirth is just a small part of the book by Brahm, so no need to say the entire teachings are different just because there is this one aspect you think Ajahn Chah didn't teach. :)
    I did not refer to "one" aspect.

I referred directly to meditation.

Ajahn Brahm has said there can be no danger in jhana.

This is contrary to both Ajahn Chah and the suttas.

We have already had a thread on this.

As for Dependent Origination, this is an essential part of meditation.

Meditation is not something separate from Dependent Origination.
    Anyway back to the subject, I think it can be quite clear Ajahn Chah wouldn't have asked & allowed his pupil to found a monastery if he didn't trust his ability to teach meditation as he was taught.
    My impression is Ajahn Chah did not ask Ajahn Brahm to found Bodhinyana. The original abbot of Bodhinyana was Ajahn Jagaro (who disrobed and eloped with a rich beautiful Thai woman).
    So that's one of the reasons I suggest everybody who likes this teaching by Chah to read the teachings of Ajahn Brahm also.
    In my opinion, this will only lead to confusion.

edited April 2011
    This is in the meditation forum and not a question about rebirth. Those discussions we've had before and it is just a waste of time bringing them up again and again...
    It is certainly not a waste of time.

Contrary to Ajahn Brahm, the link states this:
    That which can be most harmful to the meditator is Absorption Samadhi (jhana), the samadhi with deep, sustained calm. This samadhi brings great peace.Where there is peace, there is happinee. When there is happiness, attachment and clinging to that happiness arise. The meditator does not want to contemplate anything else, he just wants to indulge in that pleasant feeling.
    Contrary to your opinion, the link states this about Dependent Origination:
    When the eye sees form, the ear hears sound, the nose smells odour, the tongue experiences tastes, the body experiences touch or the mind experience mental impressions-in all postures - the mind stays with full knowledge of the true nature of those sense impressions. It doesn't follow them. When the mind has wisdom, it doesn't 'pick and choose.' In any posture, we are fully aware of the birth of happiness and unhappiness. We let go of both of these things, we don't cling. This is called Right Practice, which is present in all postures.

In the same way, both happiness and unhappiness, or pleasure and sadness, arise from the same parent 'wanting'. So when you're happy, the mind is not peaceful. It really isn't! For instance, when we get the things we like, such as wealth, prestige, praise or happiness, we become pleased as a result. But the minds still harbor some uneasiness because we're afraid of losing it. That very fear isn't a peaceful state. Later on we may actually lose that thing and then we really suffer. Thus, if you are not aware, even if you're happy, suffering is imminent. It's just the same as grabbing the snake's tail. If you don't let go, it will bite. So whether it's the snake's tail or its head, that is, wholesome or unwholesome conditions, they're all just characteristics of the Wheel of Existence, of endless change...
    Sabre

Did you actually read the link? I did you just rush in enthusiastically evangelising Ajahn Brahm?

• YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited April 2011
    A wonderful read. I have seen the same warning many times through my research. There seem to be certain times in a buddhist's journey that they may stop, thinking they have reached the end. When they have developed attachment to where they are and cannot move past it.

I've also read that people may also get to the point where they see problems, have a solution, but there is no execution. It is where compassion is lost, and attachment to our own happiness arises. This seems like the worst thing that we can let happen to ourselves.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011

Contrary to Ajahn Brahm, the link states this:
    That which can be most harmful to the meditator is Absorption Samadhi (jhana), the samadhi with deep, sustained calm. This samadhi brings great peace.Where there is peace, there is happinee. When there is happiness, attachment and clinging to that happiness arise. The meditator does not want to contemplate anything else, he just wants to indulge in that pleasant feeling.

Did you actually read the link? I did you just rush in enthusiastically evangelising Ajahn Brahm?

Hi DD,

I'm not evangelising, that wouldn't help anyone. I'm simply referring to a book that has been useful in my meditation practice so it can maybe help others who like the meditation teachings of this tradition. If you don't think they teach the same just because you see a different meaning of dependent origination, that's totally fine with me :) . But I don't think it is fair to conclude the whole meditation teaching is different just because of this 'contradiction'. So lets talk about meditation and forget the rebirth thing.

I think it would be rather strange for someone to be taught by a master like Ven. Chah for many years to come up with a totally different practice. Many things said to monks by Ven. Chah were never written down, only some of his teachings directed to the lay society. I guess if you've lived with him as a monk for years you have a far better understanding of what he taught than we do. So I guess Brahm knows what he's saying. Of course I don't just come to this conclusion by some kind of blind faith, so from the limited information we have let me explain why I think this is so.

Brahm also writes Jhana is suffering (page 238) and is not a goal by itself but has to be used to contemplate (Chapter 8), just like Ven. Chah said in the quoted talk.
    Samadhi is capable of bringing much harms or benefits to the meditator. You can not say it brings only one or the other: for one who has no wisdom, it is harmful. But one who has wisdom, it can bring a real benefit. It can lead him to Insight.

So it leads to insight, if used well. Although some teachers (I don't know exactly who) apparently claim deep samadhi can prevent insights, we can conclude Ajahn Chah was not one of them. Yes, we can see Ven. Chah remembers us to see happiness born from meditation as impermanent, but he doesn't say anywhere avoid it or fear it. I think he was quite a happy guy himself :D And he reached very deep states.

Anyway, we could post about it our whole lives but I think one can not know the importance of absorption (or judge attachment to it) if one has not experienced it himself. But even without any (neighboring) jhana experiences the book can be incredibly useful and I hope it can help anyone.

With metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2011
    I'm simply referring to a book that has been useful in my meditation practice so it can maybe help others who like the meditation teachings of this tradition.
    You seem really stuck on the matter of "tradition". The Ajahn Chan tradition is the students develop their individual character & style. This is what Ajahn Chah was about. The disciples of Ajahn Chah and the sub-disciples, for the most part, have their unique teaching styles.

Each Ajahn Chah disciple is encouraged to develop a set of their own teachings that they can give to people.

I have been around the Thai forest tradition for 20 years and you lecture me on the Forest Tradition. Oh dear.

:-/
    I think it would be rather strange for someone to be taught by a master like Ven. Chah for many years to come up with a totally different practice.
    It is not strange at all, as advised above.
    Many things said to monks by Ven. Chah were never written down, only some of his teachings directed to the lay society.
    You are now manufacturing fictious assumptions about Ajahn Chah.
    I guess if you've lived with him as a monk for years you have a far better understanding of what he taught than we do. So I guess Brahm knows what he's saying.
    Ajahn Brahm is not even connected to Ajahn Chah. Ajahn Brahm was expelled from the tradition, primarily for ordaining women and, secondarily, for being "Mahayana", which in the Forest Tradition means being obsessed with teaching morality (rebirth) to laypeople.
    Of course I don't just come to this conclusion by some kind of blind faith, so from the limited information we have let me explain why I think this is so.
    To me, your views are blind faith & mere conjecture, as detailed above.
    Brahm also writes Jhana is suffering (page 238) and is not a goal by itself but has to be used to contemplate (Chapter 8), just like Ven. Chah said in the quoted talk.
    Pretty standard Buddhist understanding. Nothing to do with Ajahn Chah. Even I would advice the same.
    Although some teachers (I don't know exactly who) apparently claim deep samadhi can prevent insights, we can conclude Ajahn Chah was not one of them.
    Ajahn Chah did not say this in the article. He said the exact opposite.

In jhana, insight into selflessness can occur but, apart from that, it is only the fourth jhana that is ideal for insight.

The lower jhanas are quite unsuitable for general insight due to their overt one-pointedness.

The purpose of insight is to clearly see the impermanence of the five aggregates, so dispassion & disenchantment occurs. For this to happen in the lower jhanas is not really possible.
    Yes, we can see Ven. Chah remembers us to see happiness born from meditation as impermanent, but he doesn't say anywhere avoid it or fear it. I think he was quite a happy guy himself :D And he reached very deep states.
    This video is irrelevent. Ajahn Jayasaro has given his correct opinion here that Ajahn Chah simply experienced spontaneous non volitional states of 'no thought' and 'shifts in consciousness'. Ajahn Chah's experiences were not related directly to practice. The skilled practitioner enters and emerges from jhana at will.

Ajahn Chah simply experienced the breakdown of perception and flowing movt of consciousness that can happen to people during drug experiences.
    Anyway, we could post about it our whole lives but I think one can not know the importance of absorption (or judge attachment to it) if one has not experienced it himself.
    A certain degree of samadhi is important in that it provides bliss & thus freedom from needing sensuality for happiness. But to regard it as important in the manner you and Ajahn Brahm are drunk on is to be attached to it.

However, I am not asserting here you yourself have experienced jhana. Your posts are too discursive for such an appraisal to arise.

Sariputta's experience of jhana is reported below. He did not regard it as important.

All the best

:coffee:
    Sariputta entered & remained in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of composure, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. Whatever qualities there are in the second jhana — internal assurance, rapture, pleasure, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided. He discerned, 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.'

He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated, with an awareness rid of barriers. He discerned that 'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.111.than.html
    edited April 2011
    Today I would like to ask you all "Are you sure yet, are you certain in meditation practice?" I ask because these days there are many people teaching meditation, both monks and laypeople, and I'm afraid you may be subject to wavering and doubt.
    Dear Floating Abu

How does the opinion of Ajahn Chah above reconcile with your opinion below?:

:confused:
    It is obvious also that the mind of a bigot or a believer is the mind of no doubt. It is the unwavering belief and no doubt that causes that bomber to bomb and believe in heavens afterwards and it is also the mind of the believer that can only recycle Buddhist theory, but may not have yet reached its genuine teaching.

Be committed and fearless? Have no doubts? That is the training in some institutions but it is not ours. Any thing that arises like that is a result of a training but not the steps of our training.

The faith or lack of doubt pointed to in our teachings is just one of experience, plain and simple. Buddhism works, but its miracles can never canvassed by mere words and those that cling only at the intellectual understanding just are not as happy.
    Also, what are these "miracles" you have referred to?

:confused:

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011

To me, your views are blind faith & mere conjecture, as detailed above.
    Hi DD,

If you think it is so, then let it be so. I'm do not feel offended because contrary to what you think, I don't try to convince or lecture you. I'm just putting out information I'd like to share in the hope of helping people. If you don't think Ajahn Brahms teachings are relevant for your practice, then simply don't use them. It's as simple as that. To me there is no need to take it personal about this or judge someone's meditation. Also it is totally meaningless to use hollow arguments like how many years we have been studying just to discuss a book. :)

So, yes maybe I've got some historical facts mixed up, you're right about that. But let me say [for information], what you say about jhana is not correct. You can neither enter or emerge from absorption at will, for the will is simply disappeared once your concentration reaches that kind of states. This same view of no willpower inside strong concentration is described in the book by Brahm and in the video of Ajahn Chahs experience I posted. And so that makes the video totally relevant for this thread about Ajahn Chah and his experience of samadhi... because... it is about his experience of samadhi! :D And also the video is relevant because it describes the importance of this kind of concentration absorptions for the development of insights.

But let us let go of our views, meditate, and find out for ourselves :om: Let the teachings of Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Brahm or whatever great monks we like help us on the path towards liberation. Maybe we can even learn from Mahayana monks! :crazy:

With metta,
    Sabre
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Let the teachings of Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Brahm or whatever great monks we like help us on the path towards liberation. Maybe we can even learn from Mahayana monks!
    Well said. :)
    edited April 2011
    ...what you say about jhana is not correct. You can neither enter or emerge from absorption at will, for the will is simply disappeared once your concentration reaches that kind of states. This same view of no willpower inside strong concentration is described in the book by Brahm and in the video of Ajahn Chahs experience I posted.
    Sabre

The video about Ajahn Chah did not describe jhana. It simply describes a certain kind of spontaneous samadhi state, as Ajahn Jayasaro said.

I repeat, what you are posting about no will in jhana is merely blind faith in Ajahn Brahm.

I already quoted MN 111 above, which repudiates the view of Ajahn Brahm.

MN 111 states Sariputta discerned intention in jhana.

I will also post more late.

Guy C is well aware by now how the many things Ajahn Brahm teaches, including one cannot be attached to jhana, are not in accord with the scriptures.

The Buddha taught the way to progress on the path is to remove the causes of dukkha.

The Buddha did not evangelise about gliterring states of happiness that appeal to craving.

As I said, I will sort out Ajahn Brahm's false views about jhana, later.

What I say about jhana is correct. What Ajahn Brahm says is another matter.

Further, you appear to not have direct experience of jhana to argue otherwise.

So it is the suttas and other teachers versus Ajahn Brahmavaso.

• The point is not to get stuck in Jhana because it s not the
    the ultimate liberation.
    I dont think Brahm is asking you to stay in jhana n stop.
    Brahm talks in a way that is humourous & entertaining.
    I dont fault him for that. He reaches many more people that way.
    He is the 1st person I heard say jhana is better than sex.
    He is controversial but he is also kind, wise, a great teacher.
    edited April 2011
    Brahm talks in a way that is humourous & entertaining.
    That is obvious. I have no dispute there.

:lol:
    He is the 1st person I heard say jhana is better than sex.
    This just indicates how limited your experience is. Oh dear. Worshipping someone who speaks the obvious as though they speak a revelation. This guru worship & cult activity is getting out of hand.

:-/
    Bhikkhus, there are two kinds of pleasantness. What two? Sensual pleasantness and the pleasantness of giving up sensuality. Of these two, the pleasantness of giving up sensuality is better.

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/4Anguttara-Nikaya/Anguttara1/2-dukanipata/007-Sukhavaggo-e.html
  • But let us let go of our views, meditate, and find out for ourselves :om: Let the teachings of Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Brahm or whatever great monks we like help us on the path towards liberation.
    You have contradicted yourself, in saying: "Let us find out for ourselves and let Ajahn Brahm help us". Also, you seem to have admitted your mind has not experienced jhana.

:sawed:
  • Arrogance is NOT a virtue.
    edited April 2011
    ...what you say about jhana is not correct. You can neither enter or emerge from absorption at will...
    Allow us to read, with appropriate faith & respect, what the Lord Buddha himself spoke about jhana.

:hair:
    He can attain at will, without trouble or difficulty, the four jhanas — heightened mental states providing a pleasant abiding in the here & now.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.119.than.html
    Bhikkhus, to whatever extent I wish...I enter and dwell in the first jhana...second jhana...etc

SN 16.9
    On one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Kusinara in Upavattana, the Sal Tree Grove of the Mallans, on the occasion of his total Unbinding. Then the Blessed One addressed the monks, "I exhort you, monks: All fabrications are subject to decay. Bring about completion by being heedful." Those were the Tathagata's last words.

Then the Blessed One entered the first jhana. Emerging from that he entered the second jhana. Emerging from that, he entered the third... the fourth jhana... the dimension of the infinitude of space... the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness... the dimension of nothingness... the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. Emerging from that, he entered the cessation of perception & feeling.

Then emerging from the cessation of perception & feeling, he entered the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. Emerging from that, he entered the dimension of nothingness... the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness... the dimension of the infinitude of space... the fourth jhana... the third... the second... the first jhana. Emerging from the first jhana he entered the second... the third... the fourth jhana. Emerging from the fourth jhana, he immediately was totally Unbound.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn06/sn06.015.than.html
    edited April 2011
    Arrogance is NOT a virtue.
    :lol:
    Others will be arrogant; we shall not be arrogant here — thus effacement can be done.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.008.nypo.html
    edited April 2011
    ...what you say about jhana is not correct. You can neither enter or emerge from absorption at will...
    Allow us to read, what Ajahn Buddhadasa taught about jhana.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books3/Buddhadasa_Anapanasati.pdf

edited April 2011
    Allow us to read, what Ajahn Mun taught about the Buddha's capacity to emerge from jhana, at will.

:hair:
    In fact, the Lord proclaimed that he was the Great Teacher at these final moments by entering Jhana and Nirodha Samapatti and then withdrawing from them until the right moment came and he entered Parinibbana, fully supporting his status as the Great Teacher...

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books2/Acariya_Mun_Bhuridatta_Patipata_Path_of_Practice.htm

edited April 2011
    ...what you say about jhana is not correct. You can neither enter or emerge from absorption at will...this same view of no willpower inside strong concentration is described in the book by Brahm....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I tell you that they are to be rightly explained by those monks who are meditators, skilled in attaining, skilled in attaining & emerging, who have attained & emerged in dependence on them.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.036.than.html
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi DD,

I see no contradictions in the teachings by all those masters. :) As we know many things can not be put into words accurately. When one reads with a biased view it may seem like they contradict each other, but I think it is better to find the similarities in the teachings and try to confirm those with own experience by learning meditation for ourselves. Just like talking about tea doesn't actually give us the experience of its flavor. :)

Personally I've found Ajahn Brahms teachings a great aid for that and so are the other teachings you post here. Again, I have no need to defend anyone or any of my own views. I'm just suggesting others what I think is a great book. Even without all the jhana stuff it can teach you a lot to get into silence of the mind. I may be wrong, but it seems like you feel offended by something and think you know what Chah taught better than one of his own deciples.. Well, to be honest, that's fine with me. :) If you like to find contradictions and think I'm just talking out of blind faith, really, I do not care. I just wish you and all others here happiness and a lot of wisdom by applying whatever teachings they like to follow.

You like your interpretation, fine. You think you know about my meditation, also fine. Really. I do not feel offended. But please, spare yourself some time next time by not trying to show me about that with selective quotations. You are not going to convince me of anything that way and I think it is not helping anyone but yourself.

Next time I might respond to your specific posts if they contain an actual solid argument instead of mere quotations and also, without getting personal to me or other members of this board.

May we all be well and learn about ourselves.

With metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2011
    Hi Sabre,

I see contradictions in the teachings by those teachers. As we know, things can be put into words accurately. One would expect a "master" speaks accurately. The basic condition for refuge in the Dhamma is the Buddha spoke it accurately (svakhato bhagavata dhammo).

When one reads without a biased view, the teachings above contradict each other. But when one reads with a biased view, one imagines "similarities" in the teachings that do not actually exist.

When we have not actually confirmed those teacings with our own experience by mastering meditation for ourselves, there is no use in behaving as though we ourselves are a "master" and projecting metaphors upon the whole world, such as "talking about tea doesn't actually give us the experience of its flavor."

It is best we honestly admit to ourselves we ourselves have not tasted the flavour of the soup. We should refrain from asserting our inexperience upon others and, worse, assuming the role of a teacher.

Personally I think what I have read of Ajahn Brahm's book, the preliminary section, is good. Even without all the jhana stuff, it can teach you a lot to get into silence of the mind.

But you are wrong, especially when projecting upon others condescending traits such as they feel "offended". This again, is bad karma and just ego.

The truth is Chah taught different & more accurately than Ajahn Brahm in respect to the core supramundane true dhamma.

However, for my tastes, the preliminary parts of Ajahn Brahm's book is the best I have read as an introduction to meditation, that is, for its type of book. Of course, it is not better than the instruction of the Buddha.

I think it has been established you are just talking out of blind faith.

I will spend my time as I wish.

Next time, I would not recommend you respond to my specific posts. This is because it seems you are so stuck on this Jesus figure of Ajahn Brahm. It seems you believe all must dwell in his infallible light & wisdom.

My posts are an actual solid argument. But your mind may have some bias.

Ajahn Brahm teaches many things no according to the Buddha-Dhamma. I personally do not regard him as a "master" of Dhamma.

May you be well and learn about yourself.

With metta,
    DD