Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to Contemplate?

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited April 2011 in Meditation
There's a ton of material about meditation around but in many traditions contemplation is also considered important. I often find myself rejecting notions outright because they don't fit my preconceptions and say "I don't believe that" without giving it proper investigation. Or papering over by beliefs with new more "buddhist" beliefs without testing to see if they're true. Or just trying to jam some idea into my head by repeating it like some kind of mantra. So I'm wondering if anyone has come across any material with some kind of explanation of how to contemplate an idea properly.

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Person,

It sounds like you are doing it already, what do you need a book for? :)

Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Contemplation is something that happens easily once the mind is clear. Consider noticing the preconceptions that keep your mind busy, because as you silence those preconceptions, the notions you wish to examine will become much more informative.

We don't need to do much but ask "what is being said" or "what are we looking at" to contemplate. If we have the stability of view to sit down and examine without prejudice, it becomes much like observing a flower. We don't feel the urge to adopt or reject the notion, we only observe and learn what we can.
  • Contemplation for me is about zooming in on things. It's usually about casting BELIEFS aside and seeing things objectively. Before trying to see what the person said is true or not...casting aside our personal OPINION of that person.

It's about dealing with facts. Or at least VERY VERY probable possibilities.

• Please forgive me , I am not good in eng-language . I think meditation practice (contemplation or vipasana meditation ) is made base on your dhamma knowledge . Only I can suggest is to read a book.I am sure this book supports your dhamma knowledge.
    (Dr. Mehm Tin Mon: The Essence of Buddha-Abhidhamma)

First you should read http://www.abhidhamma.org/sitagu sayadaw.htm
    and , http://www.abhidhamma.org/abhidhamma_and_practice.htm
  • My friend, it seems to me that you are a little lost in your spiritual practice. Here's one thing I can assure you is a truthful reality, and it is definitely worth investigating. It's called the four noble truths. What are they?
    1)Suffering.
    2)The cause of suffering.
    3)The cessation of suffering.
    4)The way leading to the cessation of suffering.

1) What is suffering? The Buddha teaches that birth is suffering, death is suffering, old age is suffering, sickness is suffering, and that in short, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering. (If you are interested in finding out what that last bit meant, you should investigate dependent origination).
    2) What is the cause of suffering? The Buddha taught that craving is the cause of suffering. What is craving? Craving is your mind's reaction to feeling. It is always either 'I like THAT,' or 'I don't like THAT.' It always manifests as tension and tightness in your mind and in your body.
    3) What is the cessation of suffering? The Buddha taught that when you let go of craving in your mind, and relax, and allow what ever is happening in the present moment to happen, you are experiencing the cessation of suffering. How is that the cessation of suffering? Because when you let go of craving, there is no more cause for clinging (your thoughts and stories about why you don't like it, or why you do like it), when there is no more clinging, there is no more cause for habitual tendency (every time I feel like this I act this way.) With no more habitual tendency, there is no more cause for birth. With no more birth, there is no more suffering, and no more death, and thus this whole mass of suffering is unbound.
    4) What is the way leading to the cessation of suffering? The Buddha taught that the noble eightfold path is the way leading to the cessation of suffering. What is the eightfold path? The eightfold path is conducive perspective, conducive intention, conducive speech, conducive action, conducive livelihood, conducive effort, conducive mindfulness, and conducive concentration. All of these factors when cultivated properly conduce to Nibbana - the goal of the Buddhist path. :).

That's just a little bit of the Dhamma. Good luck. :). :).
  • Thank you Tikal2012 ,you know well what The Buddha taught and ambition of buddhisms .
  • hearing meditation and contemplation become blended. so each is meditative. light and unhurried. contemplation doesn't need to find the answer rather it is feeling the question without any pressure.
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Like unrippled water steadily flowing, the mind contemplates, awaiting wholesome stillness.