Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What will you gain when you lose?

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
So I read this on the back of a box of Special K cereal, it was meant in regards to weight loss but I thought it might make for some interesting speculation if applied to buddhism. I'd be interested to hear what people think. What will you gain when you lose from a buddhist point of view?

Comments

• unburdened

light

clear seeing
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Freedom.

Freedom is just another word for “nothing left to lose”.
    (Janis Joplin)
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    What will you gain when you lose from a buddhist point of view?
    A mountain of freedom, a large horizon and a grain of wisdom. Oh, and an ocean of detachment and calmness.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Freedom.

(Janis Joplin)
    Love it :)

• I like the phrase when one door closes another one opens.
  • Freedom.

(Janis Joplin)
    This quote is actually Kristoferson.
    Janis said," hand me the Jose Cuervo"

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the rectification.

• Freedom.

(Janis Joplin)
    Is this just not another word for nihilism with all the consequences /especially when it comes to ethics and existentialism/?

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The term enlightenment in English has the word 'lighten' in it. Some people think this means you see a light, but I think it means whatever we lose makes us lighter. Imagine the possibility to lose the fear of death, disappearance. If we can face that all other problems in life are no so heavy anymore. This is the true meaning of no-self.

Since I've already seen some beautiful quotes in this topic, let me add one that inspired me:
    "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose"

Sounds like a quote by a Buddhist monk! Actually it was said by Yoda :D

Followed upon:
    "Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. "

May this forum be at peace. :) (and be at one with the Force :p;):D )

With metta,
    Sabre
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Freedom.

(Janis Joplin)
    Is this just not another word for nihilism with all the consequences /especially when it comes to ethics and existentialism/?

Freedom goes deeper than nihilism. We can still lose our nihilism; it is just a set of ideas.

And I don’t believe we need to be afraid for losing our ethics also.
    Hate and violence come from attachment and delusion; they come from people who know what is right and wrong. We make war for something we fear of losing.

Rich people have fences and dogs and cameras. Poor people are kind and hospitable.
    (Generally speaking)

• When we have less attachments we are more courageous. There is less fear holding us back from doing what is right, for both ourselves and others.
    Imagine someone who is not attached to belonging to a group, this frees them to stand up for others who are being bullied even if it means losing a circle of friends.
    If you are not attached to fancy belongings, than you can make it through struggles in life when you are poor.
    If you are not attached to your physical body, then you can cope with aging.
    If you are not attached to your ego, then no-one can insult you, and you will be able to accept advice.
    There are so many positive things that come from becoming less attached.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited April 2011
    your interpretation has merit; nirvana is sometimes explained as "unburdened, being free of weight" (don't remember the exact words).
    The term enlightenment in English has the word 'lighten' in it. Some people think this means you see a light, but I think it means whatever we lose makes us lighter. Imagine the possibility to lose the fear of death, disappearance. If we can face that all other problems in life are no so heavy anymore. This is the true meaning of no-self.

Since I've already seen some beautiful quotes in this topic, let me add one that inspired me:
    "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose"

Sounds like a quote by a Buddhist monk! Actually it was said by Yoda :D

Followed upon:
    "Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. "

May this forum be at peace. :) (and be at one with the Force :p;):D )

With metta,
    Sabre
  • I don't think detachment IN ITSELF brings you a sense of love, for example.

Detachment might give you equanimity, but it won't directly make you experience "GOOD" things like the feeling of being loved.

It will give you lots of peace of mind though.