Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The people I least get along with are other Buddhists

edited January 2007 in General Banter
Why are the people I get along with the least other Buddhists? Before I became a Buddhist about 3 years ago, I don't think that I had an enemy in the world. But, since becoming Buddhist, I have come to know more people that I don't like, and who don't like me, than in my entire life. There are people who will never talk to me again, and even people who would probably like nothing better than to punch me in the nose. Now, I'm not having a pity party, and I realize that some of it is my own fault. But why? Is Buddhism a brotherhood/sisterhood, or is it everybody for themselves? Most other Buddhists seem rather ambivalent about one another, unless they happen to be friends, and even then, the issue probably wouldn't even come up. Shouldn't I get along with people better, with loving-kindness and good feelings towards all living things? Yet, I feel nothing of the sort. I actually feel worse towards other people, and I can be unsociable and even rude at times. Has Buddhism made given me a bad attitude, and why have I attracted (and caused) so many bad or broken relationships since becoming a Buddhist? And it is almost always with other Buddhist people! Shouldn't it be the other way around? Anyway, I know that I covered a lot of territory in this post, but if anybody has some insights, or similar experiences, please share them. Maybe it will help me to understand my situation better.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Buddhists are human. As human beings, we don't have to like everyone. Some we do, some we don't and vica versa. That's simply how life is.
  • edited January 2006
    Buddhists are human. As human beings, we don't have to like everyone. Some we do, some we don't and vica versa. That's simply how life is.
    Yeah, but why do I only seem to have problems with other Buddhists? I accept that we are all human, and we like or don't like certain people for whatever reasons. There have always been people who I don't like, and people who don't like me, that's normal. But now I feel like it's happening all too often, and oddly enough, always with other Buddhists. And this has only been since I became Buddhist. But the issues are never over Buddhism, in fact the topic of Buddhism never even comes up. It just seems like more than a coincidence.
  • edited January 2006
    John Sala wrote:
    But the issues are never over Buddhism, in fact the topic of Buddhism never even comes up. It just seems like more than a coincidence.

I don't get along well with many Buddhists myself. Well, its not that I don't get along with them, I just don't associate with them much since the ones I've met have lives and views much different than mine. And, when it comes to my views they tend to be rather argumentative and judgmental at times.

This bothered me at first. I thought we would have much in common, but it wasn't so. It's just the way it is. I don't worry or think about it much, its not important me. I just hang and associate with people I do get along with.
  • edited January 2006
    Hunt4life wrote:
    I don't get along well with many Buddhists myself. Well, its not that I don't get along with them, I just don't associate with them much since the ones I've met have lives and views much different than mine. And, when it comes to my views they tend to be rather argumentative and judgmental at times.

This bothered me at first. I thought we would have much in common, but it wasn't so. It's just the way it is. I don't worry or think about it much, its not important me. I just hang and associate with people I do get along with.
    You make some good points and give some good advice. But for me, I do associate with other Buddhists. But the difference is that it seems like your problems with other Buddhists are over your views about Buddhism compared to theirs. For me, it isn't actually about Buddhism, the people just all happen to be Buddhist. Yet the problems don't ever seem to come up with non-Buddhists.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I live in France.
    I have been here for six years, but hopefully this year, I'll be returning to the UK with Nick, because in one way or another, the system here has beaten us. It's a long story, (and I, like you, have no wish to provoke a 'pity party') but there's no point beating our heads against the wall. We don't belong here, and it's been made very clear to us that we're not welcome here, either....
    So the ONLY people I get to talk to are other Buddhists.
    Here, on this forum, and on a couple of others I go to.....

I have personally never, EVER encountered unpleasantness, hostility, aggression, unfriendlyness, exclusion, rudeness or impoliteness, toward me, from anyone.

John, you sound and "look" to me as if you have quite a few years' experience of Buddhism behind you.... You also live in Thailand, so I'd imagine you are constantly in touch with a culture that is largely alien to your own (as I am here...)
    Misunderstandings can arise due to cultural difficulties in communication and visual, 'body-language' misrepresentations....
    However, I have learnt from my own personal experience, that if one is fairly adept at doing something, and has the mental confidence and attitude of their own expertise, others perceive this as arrogance and being a "smart-ass"....
    I have personally, over time, had to relinquish the attitude and misconception that I've had to be right all the time, and prove I'm right too.... I was an argumentative, arrogant insufferable little know-it-all, and I've had to 'work on myself' to alter others' perception of me...
    What I'm trying to say, very clumsily, is that none of us has any hope of changing other people... the one and only thing each of us can do, is to change, soften and re-present ourselves.....
  • edited January 2006
    You say the people you don't get along with are Buddhists.

I'm a Buddhist.

Most people on this site are aswell.

Do you hate us all?

---

Have you met everyone in the world who is not a Buddhist?

Do you get along with them all?

---

Hope that makes some sense (It did in my head but it's hard to put it into text)
  • edited January 2006
    I don't hate anybody.
  • edited January 2006
    I've just come to realize something...

When I interact with people I pretty much expect that non-Buddhists will often times be defensive, accusatory,confrontational and/or suspicious about things. I accept that and am patient with them...

I think I expect better of Buddhists, and am less patient with them as a result. More patience should improve my interactions. Patience is a good thing, even when dealing with less than perfect Buddhists ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    There are no differences between Christians, Buddhists, Moslems, Hindus, or Jews - and anyone and everyone whose label I have failed to mention.....

If you follow the Eightfold Path, and do 'Right Everything' such conditions, distinctions, prejudices and preferences simply fail to arise..... :)
  • edited January 2006
    Yep. Easy to type, harder to pull off ;)
    edited January 2006
    The mistake is to try....
  • edited January 2006
    Another mistake is to not try.
    edited January 2006

To 'Try' is a pointless excercise.
    Drop your keys on the table.
    Now, try to pick them up.
    Dont actually pick them up, just try...
    It's ridiculous.
    You either pick them up or you don't.
    But there is no point, or relevance, or Effort, in the 'trying'.
    'Trying, isn't 'Doing'.
    It gives us a way out.
    So don't 'Try'.
    'Do'.
  • edited January 2006
    Where are we going with this? :tongue2: lol
    edited January 2006
    For a cup of tea..... :)
  • edited January 2006
    "Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Meesa so happys to see you's! - Jar Jar

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    While difficult to accept at times, I often notice that the things that I seem to have an aversion to, lead me to understand something about myself. For example, I watch my children and their insistence on being recognized for their [insert accomplishment here, art, attribute, friends, etc] and can easily get averse to their ego assertion. However when I pause to reflect on my actions I see that I am doing the same thing and that is the reason I find myself so averse In the end it makes me more accepting and gentle - seeing our similarities.

Pause to consider that since you've become buddhist you are self conscious of something that you find in yourself and also persecutory of that same characteristic in others?

Please accept this as an observation of myself that I'm just suggesting for your reflection - nothing more.
  • edited January 2006
    I think I expect better of Buddhists, and am less patient with them as a result.
    You clearly have not met me
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    John Sala wrote:
    Why are the people I get along with the least other Buddhists? Before I became a Buddhist about 3 years ago, I don't think that I had an enemy in the world. But, since becoming Buddhist, I have come to know more people that I don't like, and who don't like me, than in my entire life. There are people who will never talk to me again, and even people who would probably like nothing better than to punch me in the nose. Now, I'm not having a pity party, and I realize that some of it is my own fault. But why? Is Buddhism a brotherhood/sisterhood, or is it everybody for themselves? Most other Buddhists seem rather ambivalent about one another, unless they happen to be friends, and even then, the issue probably wouldn't even come up. Shouldn't I get along with people better, with loving-kindness and good feelings towards all living things? Yet, I feel nothing of the sort. I actually feel worse towards other people, and I can be unsociable and even rude at times. Has Buddhism made given me a bad attitude, and why have I attracted (and caused) so many bad or broken relationships since becoming a Buddhist? And it is almost always with other Buddhist people! Shouldn't it be the other way around? Anyway, I know that I covered a lot of territory in this post, but if anybody has some insights, or similar experiences, please share them. Maybe it will help me to understand my situation better.

Fede will tell you, John, that, in the Chinese tradition, healing is often preceded by the externalisation of symptoms into physical signs. In Jungian terms, when we begin the process of calming the mind, we encounter resistance, particularly from the Shadow.

As we practise stilling the mind, after the initial, comforting effects, we notice that our mind seems busier than before! As we practise Right Speech, we suddenly engage in gossip! and so on, to the far end and back again.

I don't think this is about what arseholes your fellow-Buddhists are but about the arsehole-nature you are encountering in yourself. When you have embraced it and called it 'brother', you can embark on the lifelong task of taming it.
  • edited January 2006
    John Sala wrote:

i've noticed i don't get along with other buddhists as much as i would have thought. i put it down to buddhism being quite individualistic, but when we say buddhist we create our own concept of what it means to be buddhist. Then we meet other buddhists and inevitably they don't fit into our concepts, and we don't like them for it.

Plus as Hunt4life says, i do expect more from buddhists for some bizarre reason.
  • edited January 2006
    I have found that since I started practicing Nichiren Buddhism, that I am more compassionate towards others. I am also a Correllian Tradition Wiccan and I find that the Fundamentalist Christian types here (in Anderson, Indiana) as well as the Church of God types tend to "look down" on me and think that I am an "evil Satanist" and that me and my kids are to be avoided and shunned. Whatever. That is their problem, not mine. They can think whatever it is they want to as long as they do not try to harm my kids or me. Yet, I also have friends that are Baptists, Catholic, Jewish, etc and they don't think that my kids or me are people to be feared and shunned. Maybe it is because they know me and my kids as fellow human beings and friends and the ones that are not nice to me and my kids don't. Who knows? We humans have a tendency to stereotype anyone and anything even though we try hard not to do so. At least, I know I have this problem! LOL! I am working on it, though! Also, I want to say that while I don't practice Satanism or believe in it, I respect those that do. That is their right to practice it if they so desire. What I meant by "evil Satanist" is that is what a lot of Fundamentalist Christians and Church of God believers tend to want to call those of us who are Wiccan.

Adiana;) :usflag: :type:
  • edited January 2006
    Adiana wrote:
    We humans have a tendency to stereotype anyone and anything even though we try hard not to do so. At least, I know I have this problem! LOL! I am working on it, though!

Me too, I can be quite judgemental and have formed opinions of people on initially meeting them. Invariably I ended up forming entirely the wrong impression of them so this is a habit that I am trying to train myself out of.
    What makes this even more ironic is that I used to go around with spiky hair, piercings all up one ear along with a stretched ear lobe and a ring though the middle of my nose. God only knows what opinion people formed about me !! :rolleyesc

I try to meet people with an open mind now. One lesson I read somewhere (I think it was about compassion in the Tibetan tradition) was to treat each person you meet as though they were your mother. The idea being that due to countless rebirths the chances are that whoever you meet may well have been your mother in a past existence.
    edited January 2006
    Part of universal sales schpiel is
    "You never get a second chance to make a first impression" which in many ways is true, and a commendable axiom to remember...
    But it is as much the responsibility of the viewer to not judge, or to have preconceived ideas, as it is the onus of the person being 'viewed' to present themselves in the best light possible.
    'Always look the part' is a bit of advice given to me by my father, and this has never let me down.

In company, you'll always get the person who's trying to leave a good impression of himself. but the more memorable person, is the one who leaves you with a good impression of yourself.

I think for me, in Buddhism, this is what I make efforts to do in company.

Just my three cents.
    ("Inflation"....)
  • edited January 2006
  • edited January 2006

Good old Brad !
    I must dig out "Hardcore Zen" again.
    edited January 2006

Joy! What a fantastic read! Thank you, Genryu. Who is he? Has he written more of this sane stuff?
    edited January 2006
    ....Am I missing something? it sounds like a grumpy old man having a rant....I can see his point, but someone has simply kicked his zimmer frame away.... :grumble::rant: :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    Brad Warner wrote "Hardcore Zen" which I found to be one of the most down to earth books on Buddhism I've read.
    I can definately recommend reading it.

Here's the link to the rest of his site - Brad's Site
  • edited January 2006
    Federica, Brad's a Transmitted Zen teacher, the real deal, rather than one of the also rans that try to pass for teachers far too often in the West, a la Cheri Huber. His 'issue' is with those who try to water down the Dharma, turn it into therapy, or use it as an affectation to a bored, middle class, middle weight lifestyle. He's also, (perhaps suprisingly, perhaps not) one of the most compassionate people I know. And yes, I have to declare a possible conflict of interest here as I know the man personally. I would say though that while Brad does indeed shoot from the hip, he hits the target dead on most of the time.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2006
    John,

Maybe you are looking at it all wrong.

Just because someone is a "Buddhist" doesn't mean that they are free from greed, hatred, and delusion. No matter what you or someone else calls themselves, they will still have the potential to do unskillful things until they have completely removed the root cause of these afflictions--avijja (ignorance). All of our volitional actions of body, speech, and mind are intentional, and it is this very intention behind them that becomes our heritage, our kamma url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an05-057.html]Upajjhatthana Sutta[/url.

If you are having these problems, then this is where you need to focus. "Buddhism" is not simply a "brotherhood/sisterhood", nor is it just "everybody for themselves". What Buddhism is, however, is a systematic way of understanding, and subsequently eliminating, dukkha (stress, unsatisfactoriness, suffering). Your problems are more related to your intentions, and subsequent actions, than your "Buddhist" label.

If you have a negative reaction that arises due to to what someone else says or does, where does the fault actually reside? Is it with the other person, their religion, their nationality, their sex, the act itself, the reaction, or none of the above? Who or what is the real culprit then? The answer is your mind. The negative reaction arose from your own mind. Now, you have two choices: You can A. control what other people do [external], or you can B. control what you do [internal].

I hope that you chose B. because A. is absolutely impossible to accomplish! ;) At first, this can be hard though. Ignorance is deeply rooted. We are creatures of habit, and our habits are generally unskillful. We need to simply take our time, and do the best we can. If we make bad decisons nine out of ten times, then we should shoot for only eight out of ten. Or, if we react negatively nine out of ten times, then we should try for only eight out of ten. Buddhism, more than anything else, is a practice--a practice that takes practice. I hope this helps.

Just some personal opinions of course.

:)

Jason
    edited January 2006
    Federica, Brad's a Transmitted Zen teacher, the real deal, rather than one of the also rans that try to pass for teachers far too often in the West, a la Cheri Huber. His 'issue' is with those who try to water down the Dharma, turn it into therapy, or use it as an affectation to a bored, middle class, middle weight lifestyle. He's also, (perhaps suprisingly, perhaps not) one of the most compassionate people I know. And yes, I have to declare a possible conflict of interest here as I know the man personally. I would say though that while Brad does indeed shoot from the hip, he hits the target dead on most of the time.

...Oh....yeah....I knew that....!!
    Well, incredible as it may sound from one so inexperienced, so hum-drum and so "simple" as I... what he was saying made perfect sense, and struck me as no surprise...
    But i still think he sounded a bit like the "grumpy old men" on TV...!! :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    LOL, yes, he and I both I suspect.
    edited January 2006
    The world of humans has always needed grumpy old people which is why the gods condemn us to lives long enough to become grandparents.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    John,

I have found that I am most loved when I'm happy and most happy when I love.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Genryu,
    Just read the Brad Warner rant and I'm laughing so hard I can't breath. I absolutely LOVE it! It's wonderful! I haven't laughed this hard in ages. I think of all the things I've read on Buddhism, this one speaks to me the most. I have to go to his site now. Thank you!
  • edited January 2006
    In which case Brigid, you're ready for this, a highly esoteric teaching that is reserved for those clear sighted ones who can distinguish between ultimate truth and it's pale imitation. Do I sound serious? I am....you are about to encounter...The Cucumber Sage:

The Cucumber Sage
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    It's wonderful!!!

I don't get it.

(lol)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I just got it!!!
    LOL!!
    How "simple".

:bigclap:
  • edited January 2006
    Ha ha! :smilec:
    An excellent tale on not reading too much into what someone says, just because they appear to be the perfect embodiment of an Enlightened being!

Or have I missed the point entirely ?! :scratch: :doh:

I liked the Mu story on that site MU!
  • edited January 2006
    Or perhaps that some truly are accidental Bodhisattvas. :buck:

"Do not think that you will necessarily be aware of your own Enlightenment."

- Ehei Dogen
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    And to stop over complicating things with our intellectual minds. Understanding will come when we stop thinking so hard about it. Like when you're looking for a word or name you've forgotten and the more you try to remember, the further away it runs. When you relax and stop trying to remember, it comes to you, at 3:00 am.
    And, yes!!!! The Cucumber Sage is Winnie the Pooh in Benjamin Hoff's "The Tao of Pooh".
    For me, the story reminded me to simplify, simplify, simplify.
  • edited January 2006
    Hello all,
    Some are going to tell you the enlightenment is "out there", others are going to tell you its "in here". Some will even try to draw a picture of it.....

Me, I haven't a clue and it doesn't bother me one bit....:rockon:

Here's that eye shooting you all with varied coloured rays of LOVE!!! You know you can't hide cause I'll find you!!!!!!
  • edited January 2006
    :rockon:
  • edited December 2006
    I remember the first time I had ever attended a zen buddhist sangha. Everyone there welcomed me to the group except for one woman. She refused to introduce herself to me and even rudely sat in a chair with her back to me,refusing to speak to me. This person (I later found out) was THE major financial and religous statues/paraphernalia contributor to the zen group. She worked for a local museum as an artifact collector and had an ego a mile long. She seemed to take delight in shooting me-down in front of the others and demeaning me during discussion groups. Later the zen "Teacher"would do the same thing and finally insulted me during my FIRST celebration of the Buddha's birthday. At first I thought this was a "zen" thing but began to notice that whenever wealthy visitor showed up they would fawn all-over them.asking all about his/her line of work. Finally I hopped on my bike and left. Sadly there are some buddhist who don't take the buddha's words seriously any more than Christians who don't take Jesus' words seriously. I share your dissapointment dear brother (and you are my DEAR brother). TAKE HEART! YOU ARE APPRECIATED. IF ONLY BY ME!!!
  • edited December 2006
    LOVE RIGHT BACK AT YA BUD !
  • edited December 2006
    Esau wrote:
    Hello all,
    Some are going to tell you the enlightenment is "out there", others are going to tell you its "in here". Some will even try to draw a picture of it.....

Me, I haven't a clue and it doesn't bother me one bit....:rockon:

Here's that eye shooting you all with varied coloured rays of LOVE!!! You know you can't hide cause I'll find you!!!!!!
    SHOOTING YOU BACK WITH MORE LOVE! BANG BANG BANG!!!:om: :rocker: :uphand: :rockon: :canflag:
  • edited January 2007
    All -

I have to concur with several folks; if you expect something different from another Dharma practitioner than you do from anyone else, your expectations are at least in part what leads to the problem.

I don't practice Zen, but I learned something once that stuck with me.

"You can trust absolutely anyone, on one condition. You must trust them to be EXACTLY AS THEY ARE, and not as you wish or expect them to be." I have found this to be very true. The caveat is that it isn't always easy to discern exactly how a person is. Practice can help with this over time.