Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Smokes

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Today
It's been 5 weeks after tomorrow without cigarettes. This will be the 3rd time I have quit in 2 years. The last time I went 8 months and fell off for about 1.5 months. I feel very confident that this time I have quit for good. Just tooting my own horn. Huzzzzzzzah! lol

:p

Comments

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Good luck mate, going to be attempting to give up myself after May 4, seeing a stopping smoking advisor at a local clinic, lately its been making me feel mentally uncomfortable smoking.

Anyway buddy, hope you make it this time. :)
  • Good luck to you as well. Power through the 1st 3 days and it becomes much easier.
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the link Jenzay. :)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I put the patch on a few days ago and I stopped for about 4 days then one day I started again.

I am foolish.

Keeping the patch on helps as you CAN'T smoke with it on.
  • I can never quit with the "wheening" method. I've always had to go cold turkey and tough it out for first few days. You have a higher likelihood of stumbling in the beginning but once you have gone 3-4 days the momentum and detoxification, as well as the quick lack of bodily withdrawal, keeps you motivated. The only reasons I've gone back to smoking in the past were at times when I was drinking. This time, I have also quit all drug and alcohol use which motivates me even further. It feels good.
  • Good on you. You have done it before so keep at it. Just remember, nobody forces that cigarette into your mouth, every action, well everything in your life starts as a thought, a process in the brain. You are in control, good luck :)
  • My wife and I both finally quit, together. Believe it or not, the craving does slowly fade away. Each week that goes by, then each month and year it gets easier.
  • Nice one Talisman :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Grats talisman, stay on the wagon! :)

I quit smoking several years ago now, and it does get easier and easier. Now, the smell of smoke is actually a little ugly to my nose and brain.

If you use nicotine gum, drinking any acidic beverages prevents the absorption of the nicotine. OJ, sodas, coffee etc, just FYI.
  • This is my third time too. I was going great for 5 weeks myself. Last night I smoked a little bit though :S

With me it's always when I party and drink a little too much that I feel the urge. But I don't like the idea of having to quit alcohol and partying altogether. There's not much else to entertain myself when going out with friends. Aside from chatting of course.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited April 2011
    @Epicurus

I used to think I wouldn't be able to enjoy myelf around friends, etc, especially with my gf and all my friends being daily pot smokers and frequent drinkers, but I was wrong. I feel soooooooo much better since quiting and my practice has improved considerably. It's encouraging being of sane mind when I'm out and about. I truly am learning to cherish my sobriety.
  • Out of curiousity, has anyone tried an e-cig?
  • Out of curiousity, has anyone tried an e-cig?
    I have about 3 in my house. ;-) /unused after few attempts/

You are all Buddhists , pls put me on your ''chanting'' prayers or just share your good energy.

I am of to my wood cabin /soon/ with an xxx attempt to stop smoking.

I am hopping to stop smoking and drinking.
    Stop socializing for sake of it
    Getting right prospective on the ‘rat race’’
    and hopefully meditate and study the Buddhism.

PLS Note: So many participants on this forum tell me: meditation is the answer to see things more clearly.
    I am going to have a go but be prepared for temper tantrum in Septemeber. :p:o
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I'm a moderate smoker myself, I enjoy Cigarettes, Nargile (Hookah), Cigars, and uh... thats about it. However I enjoy them thoroughly and I see no reason to really stop yet, though I do plan on stopping one day. Someone on this forum said that it was not alright to smoke while you meditate, however it is perfectly fine to meditate while you smoke. So whenever I find myself enjoying a good smoke with nothing to do I sit in quiet contemplation and meditate as I watch the smoke curl about.
  • gross ... :p
  • there is nothing wrong in moderate smoking? hmm. Don't mean to piss on your parade but I think there is. I have had two phases in my life where I would smoke say 1-2 a day, but think about what is inside them. Research each chemical within a cigarette, and cigar smoking is pretty brutal on your mouth. Not having a go, just think that your notion of it being okay is kind of wrong Zayl
  • I'm a moderate smoker myself, I enjoy Cigarettes, Nargile (Hookah), Cigars, and uh... thats about it. However I enjoy them thoroughly and I see no reason to really stop yet, though I do plan on stopping one day. Someone on this forum said that it was not alright to smoke while you meditate, however it is perfectly fine to meditate while you smoke. So whenever I find myself enjoying a good smoke with nothing to do I sit in quiet contemplation and meditate as I watch the smoke curl about.
    Some people have turned efforts to help people quit smoking or not start at all into an emotional crusade. It stops being seen as just another unhealthy habit and becomes an evil sin that only weak or stupid people could possibly do. When living healthy becomes a religion and not just a good idea, then your smoking makes other people angry. We end up with laws that ban smoking in your own house or car or even if nobody is around.

If and when you're motivated to try quitting, you'll quit.