Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Stages of Anapanasati

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited April 2011 in Meditation
In a previous post of mine "Frames of Reference" Dhamma Datu made reference to the different "stages" of anapanasati, stating that the 5th stage would comprise the 1st Jhana, etc. Does anyone have a proper synopsis regarding these "stages?"

Comments

• disregard this thread, I just figured it out. Dur You can delete this one Fede :sawed:

• You're not going to tell us what you figured out?
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    lol, yes it would be interesting to know what exactly Talisman is talking about!
  • In a previous post of mine "Frames of Reference" Dhamma Datu made reference to the different "stages" of anapanasati, stating that the 5th stage would comprise the 1st Jhana, etc. Does anyone have a proper synopsis regarding these "stages?"
    Like Ajahn Sumedho says, just being aware of one breath in, one breath out is enough. Don't try to attain and don't try to chase. IMO.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Like Ajahn Sumedho says, just being aware of one breath in, one breath out is enough.
    The mind cannot developed the depth of jhana by just being aware of one breath in & one breath out.

To develop the depth of jhana the mind must let go and dwell in total abandonment.

Compare to say a prima ballerina that dances on auto pilot

To develop the depth of jhana the mind must abandon all judgments, including those of "be aware" and "watch the breath"

These judgments & rigid intentions are simply too slow & too clumsy; they are craving

They are working with the "intellect" rather than working with the spirit; by allowing consciousness to flow & function in itself & by itself; free from the control of willfulness

Regards

:)

• edited April 2011
    "the mind must abandon all judgments, including those of "be aware" and "watch the breath"

Exactly. As Ajahn Sumedho says - "Let go, let go, let go !"

:om:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I like Sumedho. If everybody would be able to be fully aware of a single in breath and out breath at least once a day, the world would already be another place.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Bumpin'
  • //Anapanasati

We tend to overlook the ordinary. We are usually only aware of our breath when it’s abnormal, like if we have asthma or when we’ve been running hard. But with anapanasati we take our ordinary breath as the meditation object. We don’t try to make the breath long or short, or control it in any way, but to simply stay with the normal inhalation and exhalation. ...

If the mind wanders on the in-breath, then put more effort into the inhalation. If the mind wanders on the exhalation, then put more effort into that. Keep bringing it back. Always be willing to start anew. At the start of each new day, at the beginning of each inhalation, cultivate the beginner’s mind, carrying nothing from the old to the new, leaving no traces, like a big bonfire.

One inhalation and the mind wanders, so we bring it back again — and that itself is a moment of mindfulness ...

But we don’t try to get anything from the meditation, to get samadhi or get jhana, because when the mind is trying to achieve or attain things, rather than just being humbly content with one breath, then it doesn’t slow down and become calm, and we become frustrated.//

Ajahn Sumedho

http://www.buddhanet.net/nowknow2.htm
  • I like Sumedho. If everybody would be able to be fully aware of a single in breath and out breath at least once a day, the world would already be another place.
    Indeed. A very good teacher, we are grateful for those who have genuinely actualised the teachings and not those whom just parrot and parade like clowns in the forum.

Another teaching you may enjoy, Sabre!

\\ This morning I was talking to Venerable Subbato and he was saying he never has developed anapanasati, mindfulness of the breath. So I said, 'Can you be mindful of one inhalation?' And he said, 'Oh yes.' 'And of one exhalation?' And he said, 'Yes.' And I said, 'Got it!'

There's nothing more to it than that. However, one tends to expect to develop some special kind of ability to go into some special state. And because we don't do that, then we think we can't do it.

But the way of the spiritual life is through renunciation, relinquishment, letting go not through attaining or acquiring. Even the jhanas [1] are relinquishments rather than attainments. If we relinquish more and more, letting go more and more, then the jhanic states are natural.

The attitude is most important. To practise anapanasati, one brings the attention onto one inhalation, being mindful from the beginning to the end. One inhalation, that's it; and then the same goes for the exhalation. That's the perfect attainment of anapanasati. The awareness of just that much, is the result of concentration of the mind through sustained attention on the breath.

Ajahn Sumedho
    http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Articles/Ajahn_Sumedho_Only_One_Breath.htm
    \\
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @Floating_Abu

Thankyou for your post. :)
  • You're very welcome.
  • edited April 2011

Indeed. A very good teacher, we are grateful for those who have genuinely actualised the teachings and not those whom just parrot and parade like clowns in the forum.

Who's "we" Abu ?....and who are you refering to as "those who just parrot and parade like clowns in the forum." How very rude of you !

When I mention Ajahn Sumedho myself it is because I have been to a number of his offline teachings at Amaravati monastery, and in the latter half of last year I spoke to him personally about my practice on 3 different occasions before he left the UK to retire in Thailand.

So I don't just quote, I'm fortunate enough to have had him as a personal teacher too.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    Yes, I always think people are talking about me, when they mention parrots and clowns or make other insults.
    If you are thinking about anyone in particular when you are making insults, mentioning their names would be nice.
    :D
  • Yes, I always think people are talking about me, when they mention parrots and clowns or make other insults.
    If you are thinking about anyone in particular when you are making insults, mentioning their names would be nice.
    :D A good teaching isn't it?
  • edited April 2011
    Yes, I always think people are talking about me, when they mention parrots and clowns or make other insults.

"Good" ?......."Teaching" ? So you regard yourself as a teacher then ?

:eek2:
  • No
    edited April 2011
    Does to just parrot and parade about Ajahn Sumedho exclude one from being a clown?

:confused:
    Meditation, insight, whatever it is called, will always be far more interesting (IMO) than book knowledge, or even opinions. Unti then, I remember I asked like crazy the hell out of anyone I thought "knew".
    edited April 2011
    But the way of the spiritual life is through renunciation, relinquishment, letting go not through attaining or acquiring. Even the jhanas are relinquishments rather than attainments. If we relinquish more and more, letting go more and more, then the jhanic states are natural.

To practise anapanasati, one brings the attention onto one inhalation, being mindful from the beginning to the end. One inhalation, that's it; and then the same goes for the exhalation. That's the perfect attainment of anapanasati. The awareness of just that much, is the result of concentration of the mind through sustained attention on the breath.
    Ajahn Sumedho sounds confused here. His teaching is contradicted.

The 1st paragraph above is standard Dhamma. This is how the Buddha himself taught.

But the 2nd paragraph above is a contradiction because to "bring the attention onto one inhalation", etc, is not renunciation, relinquishment & letting go.

For the most part, the Buddha himself did not speak of concentration of the mind through sustained attention on the breath.

Instead, the Buddha himself described right concentration as have one sole object, namely, relinquishment. (SN 48.9)

The Buddha himself described right concentration as having seven supporting factors, which is lead or established by mindfulness keeping 'Right View' (namely, the abandoning of attachment & craving) in the mind.

This deliberately bring attention to the breathing in & out is just craving. It is yoga practise. The Buddha did not teach like this.

The Buddha taught one brings mindfulness to the fore (lit: in front of one's face).

Sure, these yoga type practises are useful for beginners but they are not really the real thing.

Regards

"Now how is mindfulness with in-&-out breathing developed & pursued so as to be of great fruit, of great benefit?

"There is the case where a monk, having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building, sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding his body erect, and setting mindfulness to the fore. Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out.

edited April 2011
    Just like beauty, "a good teaching" is in the eye of the beholder.

:wow:

For some it is "good", for others it is not.

However "good" is simply a judgment.

To progress in the path of Anapanasati, one's mind must abandon all judgements.

• Yes, I always think people are talking about me, when they mention parrots and clowns or make other insults.

In MN 2, the Buddha placed "insults" in the same sphere as mosquitoes and gadflies that come to suck one's blood.

They are to be endured with right understanding; by abandoning all judgements.

:coffee:
    And what are the fermentations to be abandoned by tolerating?

There is the case where a monk, reflecting appropriately, endures.

He tolerates cold, heat, hunger & thirst; the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun & reptiles; ill-spoken & unwelcome words [insults]; and bodily feelings that, when they arise, are painful, racking, sharp, piercing, disagreeable, displeasing & menacing to life.

The fermentations, vexation or fever that would arise if he were not to tolerate these things do not arise for him when he tolerates them.

These are called the fermentations to be abandoned by tolerating.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.than.html

• Did someone request a clown? :dunce: :mullet: :vimp:
  • edited April 2011
    Like Ajahn Sumedho says, just being aware of one breath in, one breath out is enough.
    The mind cannot developed the depth of jhana by just being aware of one breath in & one breath out.

Generally, for low-high grade practitioners, the mind cannot developed the depth of jhana by just not being aware of one breath in & one breath out. Breathing in and out contemplation is the expedient/skilfull means of developing jhana mind.

Let go and dwell in total abandonment is for extremely high grade practitioners as that of Zen Patriarch Hui Neng.
  • edited April 2011
    I can't help but think that if any of us posting here were really "high grade" practitioners, we wouldn't be sitting at computers expounding our views on the internet !

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    ...and who are you refering to as "those who just parrot and parade like clowns in the forum." How very rude of you !
    I assume she was referring to me. It's OK, I welcome the feedback. :)
  • edited April 2011
    ...and who are you refering to as "those who just parrot and parade like clowns in the forum." How very rude of you !
    LOL !
  • Let go and dwell in total abandonment is for extremely high grade practitioners as that of Zen Patriarch Hui Neng.
    Sure, possibly. But the impression of have gained is the Floating Abu has been making out of late that they fall into this sphere of high grade Zen practitioners.

Gassho

:dunce:
    edited April 2011
    I assume she was referring to me. It's OK, I dismissed the speculation, like water off a duck's back.

On seeing a form with the eye, he does not lust after it if it is pleasing; he does not dislike it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body established, with an immeasurable mind, and he understands as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having thus abandoned favoring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant, painful, or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. With the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; with the cessation of clinging, cessation of being; with the cessation of being, cessation of birth; with the cessation of birth, ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair cease. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering. :)
  • I assumed she was referring to you, too. :)
  • I can't help but think that if any of us posting here were really "high grade" practitioners, we wouldn't be sitting at computers expounding our views on the internet !

Hi

I've seen many of these attitudes on the internet but I wonder who are the people sitting behind the computers, are they not real people? I think they are and at least I've been fortunate to meet and learn from many good practitioners on the internet as well. Obviously not everyone can see the well.

Best wishes,
    Abu

• I assume she was referring to me. It's OK, I welcome the feedback. :)
    I assume she was referring to me. It's OK, I dismissed the speculation, like water off a duck's back.

On seeing a form with the eye, he does not lust after it if it is pleasing; he does not dislike it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body established, with an immeasurable mind, and he understands as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having thus abandoned favoring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant, painful, or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. With the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; with the cessation of clinging, cessation of being; with the cessation of being, cessation of birth; with the cessation of birth, ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair cease. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering. :)
    What makes you think it was speculation ? :)
    edited April 2011
    What makes you think it was speculation ? :)
    I've seen many of these attitudes on the internet but I wonder who are the people sitting behind the computers, are they not real people? Obviously not everyone can see the well.
    Are you declaring you have the Divine Eye & Divine Ear, amongst your other attainments?

:bowdown:
    She hears — by means of the divine ear-element, purified & surpassing the human — both kinds of sounds: divine & human, whether near or far.
    "And what is the miracle of telepathy? There is the case where a monk reads the minds, the mental events, the thoughts, the ponderings of other beings, other individuals, [saying,] 'Such is your thinking, here is where your thinking is, thus is your mind.'
    Once the Blessed One was living among the Bhaggas in the Deer Park at Bhesakala Grove, near Crocodile Haunt.

At that time Ven. Maha Moggallana sat nodding near the village of Kallavalaputta, in Magadha.

The Blessed One, with his purified divine eye, surpassing the human, saw Ven. Maha Moggallana as he sat nodding near the village of Kallavalaputta, in Magadha.

As soon as he saw this — just as a strong man might extend his flexed arm or flex his extended arm — he disappeared from among the Bhaggas in the Deer Park at Bhesakala Grove, near Crocodile Haunt, and re-appeared near the village of Kallavalaputta, in Magadha, right in front of Ven. Maha Moggallana.

There he sat down on a prepared seat. As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to Ven. Maha Moggallana, "Are you nodding, Moggallana? Are you nodding?"

"Yes, lord."

edited April 2011
    I've seen many of these attitudes on the internet but I wonder who are the people sitting behind the computers, are they not real people? Obviously not everyone can see the well.
    :hair:
    "And what is the miracle of telepathy? There is the case where a monk reads the minds, the mental events, the thoughts, the ponderings of other beings, other individuals, [saying,] 'Such is your thinking, here is where your thinking is, thus is your mind.'

He knows the awareness of other beings, other individuals, having encompassed it with his own awareness. He discerns a mind with passion as a mind with passion, and a mind without passion as a mind without passion. He discerns a mind with aversion as a mind with aversion, and a mind without aversion as a mind without aversion. He discerns a mind with delusion as a mind with delusion, and a mind without delusion as a mind without delusion. He discerns a restricted mind as a restricted mind, and a scattered mind as a scattered mind. He discerns an enlarged mind as an enlarged mind, and an unenlarged mind as an unenlarged mind. He discerns an excelled mind as an excelled mind, and an unexcelled mind as an unexcelled mind. He discerns a concentrated mind as a concentrated mind, and an unconcentrated mind as an unconcentrated mind. He discerns a released mind as a released mind, and an unreleased mind as an unreleased mind.

• ...who are the people sitting behind the computers, are they not real people?
    :sawed:

Then the bhikkhuni Vajira, having understood, "This is Mara the Evil One," replied to him in verses:

Why now do you assume 'a being'?
    Mara, have you grasped a view?
    This is a heap of sheer constructions:
    Here no being is found.

Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
    The word 'chariot' is used,
    So, when the aggregates are present,
    There's the convention 'a being.'

It's only suffering that comes to be,
    Suffering that stands and falls away.
    Nothing but suffering comes to be,
    Nothing but suffering ceases.

Then Mara the Evil One, realizing, "The bhikkhuni Vajira knows me," sad and disappointed, disappeared right there.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an07/an07.058.than.html
  • I think being facetious is unkind and a sign of arrogance.
    edited April 2011
    whatever you think is not going to help your meditation

looks like the hindrances have attacked your mind again

if we wish to develop meditation, the buddha said: "when the eye hears a smell, just taste; when the ear smells a touch, just see; etc"

all the best

Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself.

When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bahiya, there is no you in terms of that. When there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.1.10.than.html
  • Toward whom is that statement meant to be directed, DD? I fail to comprehend its relevancy in this discussion.
    edited April 2011
    what is the "whom" being referred to?

apart from that, I fail to comprehend alot of relevancy in this discussion also

kind regards

Bahiya, when there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress.

• edited April 2011
    I can't help but think that if any of us posting here were really "high grade" practitioners, we wouldn't be sitting at computers expounding our views on the internet !

Hi

I've seen many of these attitudes on the internet but I wonder who are the people sitting behind the computers, are they not real people? I think they are and at least I've been fortunate to meet and learn from many good practitioners on the internet as well. Obviously not everyone can see the well.

Best wishes,
    Abu

Yes indeed you're correct in realising you don't see the well after 2 or 3 years of endlessly going round in circles Abu dear - and here we are again, still not enlightened, lol ! -what fun deep inside that ol'empty well that's so hard to see, eh?

• You're confusing as heck, DD, but I still love you <3
  • Confusing. And naughty!

• Indeed. Well spoken Dazzle Bling Bloop!

The internet is just the various opinions of various folks, that is all.

It is just words on a screen; just form; just maya.

But often, we take it all so seriously

• Bwahaha. Yes we do sometimes, don't we, Element? :)
  • where?

:dunce:
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011

Hi

Best wishes,
    Abu

Yes indeed you're correct in realising you don't see the well after 2 or 3 years of endlessly going round in circles Abu dear - and here we are again, still not enlightened, lol ! -what fun deep inside that ol'empty well that's so hard to see, eh?

And you used to be quite nice too. Things do change. And how sad that some people cannot imagine that others can move forward in their practice even whilst not - but it is not mine to carry. :) All the best on your own journey, Dazzle.
  • Bwahaha. Yes we do sometimes, don't we, Element? :)
    Thanks fivebells. I thought he felt like some oldies.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • what is the "whom" being referred to?

apart from that, I fail to comprehend alot of relevancy in this discussion also

kind regards

Bahiya, when there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress.

Hi Element

Hope your practice is going well. Thanks for your efforts.

Peace,
    Abu