Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Stages of Anapanasati

2»

Comments

• And you used to be quite nice too. Things do change. And how sad that some people cannot imagine that others can move forward in their practice even whilst not - but it is not mine to carry. :) All the best on your own journey, Dazzle.
    Nice/nasty blah blah...still stuck in the same old judgemental thinking.You are right in that you already have too much to carry!

Relax, breathe and be happy my dear. Totty bye bye! :wave:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hope your practice is going well. Thanks for your efforts.
    Just more empty personal projections and imaginings

Try sticking to the topics of discussion rather than projecting reified self-views everywhere

:coffee:
  • the only stages are the jhanas.
  • The only stages of what?
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    //When I first went to study with my teacher, Ajaan Fuang, he handed me a small booklet of meditation instructions and sent me up the hill behind the monastery to meditate. The booklet — written by his teacher, Ajaan Lee — began with a breath meditation technique and concluded with a section showing how the technique was used to induce the first four levels of jhana.

In the following years, I saw Ajaan Fuang hand the same booklet to each of his new students, lay and ordained. Yet despite the booklet's detailed descriptions of jhana, he himself rarely mentioned the word jhana in his conversations, and never indicated to any of his students that they had reached a particular level of jhana in their practice. When a student told him of a recurring meditative experience, he liked to discuss not what it was, but what to do with it: what to focus on, what to drop, what to change, what to maintain the same. Then he'd teach the student how to experiment with it — to make it even more stable and restful — and how to judge the results of the experiments. If his students wanted to measure their progress against the descriptions of jhana in the booklet, that was their business and none of his. He never said this in so many words, but given the way he taught, the implicit message was clear.

As were the implicit reasons for his attitude. He had told me once about his own experiences as a young meditator: "Back in those days you didn't have books explaining everything the way we do now. When I first studied with Ajaan Lee, he told me to bring my mind down. So I focused on getting it down, down, down, but the more I brought it down, the heavily and duller it got. I thought, 'This can't be right.' So I turned around and focused on bringing it up, up, up, until I found a balance and could figure out what he was talking about." This incident was one of many that taught him some important lessons: that you have to test things for yourself, to see where the instructions had to be taken literally and where they had to be taken figuratively; that you had to judge for yourself how well you were doing; and that you had to be ingenious, experimenting and taking risks to find to ways to deal with problems as they arose.//

Full Teaching: Jhana Not by the Numbers
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/jhananumbers.html