Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Do Buddhists Believe About Jesus' "Lost Years" In His Youth?

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited April 2011 in General Banter
The Bible is silent about Jesus during his teens and early adulthood. There are those who say he went East and studied with holy people in India, bringing some of those teachings back with him to Palestine. Are there any beliefs, oral history, or other record among Asian Buddhists regarding Jesus' "lost years"?

Comments

• HawkinsHawkins Explorer
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure if there are any documented history on this, but there's been many documentaries regarding his lost youth, and whether or not he spent it in India.

I strongly believe this.
  • edited April 2011
    To tell you the truth I have never been bothered to think of whether Jesus went to India to study the Eastern philosophies.

It could be plausible, though. Although it could just as easily be conjectured that he might have gone into Nile Valley to study there instead, since Alexandria and the major cities at that time would already have libraries which stored the knowledge brought by traders and travelers from India and beyond through the Silk Route. Greek and Roman philosophy would also be widely available due to the Mediterranean Sea.

It's also possible that he travelled further down into Europe or something.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    One theory is that he spent time in Alexandria on his way East.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    I believe it makes a huge amount of sense.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The Mormons believe he was here in North America, although that may have been after Resurrection...can't remember.
  • i always believed jesus to be a metaphor for consciousness.

and no one can own consciousness, nor seek it. thus truth can be realized by anyone and anywhere.

he probably one day realized what he was. or he sought out teachers to find out what he was.
  • edited April 2011
    Are there any beliefs, oral history, or other record among Asian Buddhists regarding Jesus' "lost years"?
    Hi Dakini.

It is well known that some of his disciples went to India. There are still Christians in South West India, so I don't see a reason for him not having gone. That is, unless he went to Greece, which at that time was likewise inhabited by the various faiths of the time.

Now that we have established that he went to India (or Greece).

Is this satisfying our need for gossip?

;)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Hi Dakini. It is well known that some of his disciples went to India.
    Thomas had a ministry in Kashmir. The descendents of those Kashmiri Jews are still there.
    Now that we have established that he went to India (or Greece). Is this satisfying our need for gossip? Does it help your practise?
    ;)
    Have we actually established that he went to India? You simply added your opinion, which is interesting, but it proves nothing, nor does it answer the question: is there any record, oral or otherwise, or belief in the East regarding this.

You know, we could dismiss half the threads on this forum with the argument that answering this or that question doesn't help our practice. I'm really getting tired of that. If there's a requirement that thread topics be justified by relating them to how they help our practice, I'm not aware of it. Why, then, do anything in life that isn't aimed at helping our practice? Why read books on non-Buddhist topics? Why indulge in leisure-time activities? Why waste time online, haha! Does participating on this forum advance your practice, cap? Better quit, then; your time would best be spent practicing. ;)
  • edited April 2011
    I take that as a yes. :nyah:
    Does participating on this forum advance your practice, cap?
    Indeed, participating in any form is or should be no different from our practise.
  • Wow there is no evidence what so ever that Jesus went to India. We might as well say he was abducted by aliens, taught stuff and returned to earth.
  • I wonder if he reached out to others besides the jews due to forming friends in other regions? That is circumstantial. I think we do not know. And I think many Christians would take offense, though its ok to speculate in my opinion.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Well, we don't have to worry about Christians taking offense, because this is a Buddhist board. :D If we keep the discussion among ourselves--no problem.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2011
    A mildly amusing sidelight:
  • Nice Genkaku. What does 23 skido mean? I've heard that in a book about the illuminati but I didn't understand it. A fiction cult favorite book.
  • The Mormons believe he was here in North America, although that may have been after Resurrection...can't remember.
    In the Book of Mormon, Jesus does come to the Americas after his resurrection. But as far as I can remember (been awhile since I've read it now) it wasn't for very long. A few days tops. But this is also the religion where at one time God was taught to be Adam...but I digress.
    I find the topic interesting because before about a month ago, I had never heard of this idea before of him studying in India.
  • edited April 2011
    But if he went anywhere "after the resurrection", it would have been in spirit form, no? Or do you and vinlyn mean "after the crucifixion" (no resurrection, because he didnt die)? And how would he have gotten to America, if he survived the crucifixion and came in human form?

I read about Notovich's book (see film clip Hawkins posted) years ago, and it deals mainly with Jesus' life in India after the crucifixion, not much info about his life there in young adulthood. But I just checked Amazon, and there's a book devoted to examining the question of his "lost years" and study in India. "Jesus Lived in India". One review said it details the "convergence in teachings and life of Jesus and the Buddha", among other points. As far as I could tell, the "evidence" is based mainly on the Tibetan text in Hemis Monastery, Ladakh, that documents Jesus' activities in Kashmir.
  • But if he went anywhere "after the resurrection", it would have been in spirit form, no? Or do you and vinlyn mean "after the crucifixion" (no resurrection, because he didnt die)? And how would he have gotten to America, if he survived the crucifixion and came in human form?
    They believe that he was a resurrected being, with a body of flesh but "perfect". So...no blood/can't die/that kind of thing. So in their version of the story he dies, returns for a time to heaven during the 3 days prior to resurrection, returns to Earth as a resurrected being first to the apostles, then to the Americas.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks, tamm. So according to Mormon belief, he's in this "perfect" body of flesh when he takes the last supper? That would explain how he manages to ingest food. If he were in spirit form, he wouldn't be able to do that.

Here's another book on the subject, that looks quite good:
    "The Fifth Gospel: New Evidence From the Tibetan, Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian and Urdu Sources About the Historical Life of Jesus Christ After the Crucifixion."
  • Oh, you're welcome! I'm glad all those years growing up LDS count as something. The last supper though, would have been before the death on the cross and before the atonement at Gethsemane. LOL talking like this makes me feel like a dictionary!
  • Oh, you're welcome! I'm glad all those years growing up LDS count as something. The last supper though, would have been before the death on the cross and before the atonement at Gethsemane. LOL talking like this makes me feel like a dictionary!
    Wow, I'm really not up on this stuff. Atonement at Gethsemane? Never heard of it. Thanks for filling me in. So tamm, being ex-LDS, what do you think about this speculation about Jesus studying and later ministering in the East? A Harvard-trained scholar in Oriental Languages found the Tibetan text at Hemis Monastery in the 1930's, translated it, and published the a synopsis in US newspapers back then. Copies of the newspaper articles can be seen in the Nicholas Roerich Museum in Manhattan. It was Roerich's son who did the translation. I'm thinking about getting that "Fifth Gospel" book, because it uses a variety of sources.
  • The atonement is basically the main part of Christianity to the LDS. The Catholics seem to focus on the death of Christ, the LDS focus on the forgiving of all sins at the garden. O.O deep Christian stuff here! Since I have really delved into trying to test my old religion to the core, I have found that I have a hard time believing in a true "Christ" as a historical figure or that maybe it was a collection of different people. But, finding that the transmition of the religion to other (more distant) countries much earlier than I thought is pretty interesting!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    the urantia book has a very in depth catalog of jesus' early years:
    http://urantiabook.org/newbook/bioindx.html

about the urantia book:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Urantia_Book

believe what you will about the urantia book, but imo, it seems just as likely credible as the bible.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    This is an amazing source, ZG; it covers his teen ("lost") years. Where does this info come from?

I think some good book recommendations have been made here. I guess the Buddhist traditions don't have any info on Jesus "lost years", other than that one text in Hemis Monastery. I did speak to some Muslims once about it, and they knew all about Yuz Assaf (Jesus' name when he was in the East). They said he was a well-known prophet, that's as far as the conversaton went.

There's a good film out about oral traditions about Jesus in India, and it includes an interview with an American who had permission to enter his tomb in Kashmir and take DNA from the body interred there, but 9/11 happened just before she was scheduled to open the tomb, and since the tomb is in an Arab quarter, that was the end of her project. She also had permission to take DNA from Mary's burial in Meri, India. I'm not sure why that was cancelled.

Interesting way to commemmorate Easter, by attempting to examine the facts of Jesus life before and after the crucifixion! I think keeping an open mind on these questions is imortant. Did Jesus teach Buddhist principles in the Mediterranean? Some say he did.

Thank you, Hawkins, for a good film clip.
  • the urantia book has a very in depth catalog of jesus' early years:
    http://urantiabook.org/newbook/bioindx.html

about the urantia book:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Urantia_Book

believe what you will about the urantia book, but imo, it seems just as likely credible as the bible.
    Its not as credible. One was written (at least parts of it) 100 years after the death of Jesus. The Urantia book was written 1,891 years after the death of jesus.
  • I have no beliefs regarding this matter, but Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal is a cracking funny read.
  • How do they match DNA from Jesus?
  • They look for tell-tale variants in the GOD gene.
  • How do they match DNA from Jesus?
    They can tell if he was semitic, and they can match him to Mary's DNA.

• They can tell if he is an alien too :)
  • RicRic
    edited April 2011
    How do they match DNA from Jesus?
    They can tell if he was semitic, and they can match him to Mary's DNA.
    Who has Mary's DNA ? nobody...
  • They had a tomb for Mary too so they could see if the two match.
  • Suzanne Olsson is the researcher who had permission to open Jesus' tomb and take DNA samples, and also take samples from Mary's grave. She published a book about her research.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Jesus at 12 years old is mentioned in the gospel of Luke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finding_in_the_Temple

for the rest of his early youth, I do not think its recorded in the bible, tough I may be wrong.

Wit Metta

• That's right. The last he's mentioned in the Bible is at 12 yrs. old, then he doesn't appear again until he's 29 or 30. Hence the speculation about where he was during those years.
    Jeffrey -- Here's one amorphous description of 23 skidoo ... which seems to mean, roughly, to skedaddle or get out while the getting is good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_skidoo_(phrase)
  • Lol, I just Suzanne Olsson own bio. She is nutty.

talking about her family
    "We have the historical proof in the direct line, the exact names of every grandparent since almost 2,000 years ago. We have historical fact on our side. We are descended from the first kings of France, Briton, and the Holy Land, and some have traced this lineage back to Cleopatra and the Egyptian dynasties."

"They are my ancient grandfathers and this is well noted in our family Bibles and genealogies. We have had a presence here since its history began as a little outpost over 2,000 years ago. No one can write the history of France or of Renne le Chateau without including the names of our grandfathers. "

She is not a serious scholar at all...
  • I haven't read her bio, Ric, but you never know about lineages. It's not uncommon for people to trace back to European royalty. I wouldn't dismiss her just because of her genealogy. She says she became interested in Jesus' and Mary's burials after reading the "Fifth Gospel" book and studying with the author who researched all those Asian sources about Jesus. I'll check her out further, though.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Personally, I doubt there's any truth to the idea. (For a more critical look at this idea, check out: Did Jesus Live In India? I, Did Jesus Live In India? II and Did Jesus Live In India? III.)
  • hehe in her references section in her website she has a link to a place talking about ancient helicopters in Egyptian times....and a link to Zacharay Sitchens....
    who claims an ancient alien race of Annunaki came to earth and created humans to be their slaves....who live in a planet called Niburu.

case closed
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have wondered, but given it the thought it deserves, from any Buddhist.

Practically none.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The Bible is silent about Jesus during his teens and early adulthood. There are those who say he went East and studied with holy people in India, bringing some of those teachings back with him to Palestine.
    Fully agree

However, imo, Jesus was essentially a Brahmin (rather than a Buddhist)

Whilst the Buddha influenced most Indian religions, like Jesus, most Indian religions had no interest in the Buddha's core teachings

Jesus honored Brahma or God The Father

:)

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Dunno My teacher always speaks of Jesus as a kind Bodhisattva.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011

Ajahn Brahm shares his views on Dakini's questions

:mullet:
    No intent to derail a fun conversation, but I do think it's worth keeping in mind that whatever the theories and whatever the 'truth,' still we have to buy groceries and try not to step in the dog poop.

• No intent to derail a fun conversation, but I do think it's worth keeping in mind that whatever the theories and whatever the 'truth,' still we have to buy groceries and try not to step in the dog poop.
    So please allow us to enjoy the conversation. It the topic is good enough for Ajahn Brahm, it's good enough for Dakini and the rest of us. Fear not; no one is going to forget to buy the groceries and starve just because we're enjoying a good discussion. Have you ever had that problem as a result of participating on the forum?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Oh no, not another "thread troll"! I'm declaring a guerrilla war against people who make cracks against fascinating thread topics by saying "but how does this advance our practice?" It's rude, irrelevant, and is not what I would call right speech. OK, end of rantlet.

I think some good points pro and con have been raised here, pointing out (for me, at least) the need to do more research. Whatever Olsson's reputation, the fact that she was days away from entering Jesus' tomb to get DNA samples, and had permission to take samples from Mary is the important thing. Maybe someday someone will examine Mary's burial at least, if politics still won't allow access to Jesus' tomb.

Notovich is controversial, and according to the bloggers Jason referred us to, the whole text-in-Hemis-Monastery is a myth. And yet, the Roerichs say they went there and translated the text. In discussing research at Hemis, the Roerichs are never mentioned, the focus is always on Notovich. So that's something I'd like to look into further

And thanks, DD; I've come across references that there were Buddhist monks in Alexandria and even around the Eastern Mediterranean somewhere, Palestine, or something. Fascinating, no? So Jesus wouldn't have had to go to India to study Buddhism.

Thanks all for some great contributions. :thumbsup:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Oh no, not another "thread troll"! I'm declaring a guerrilla war against people who make cracks against fascinating thread topics by saying "but how does this advance our practice?"
    I advise against it....
    It's rude, irrelevant, and is not what I would call right speech. OK, end of rantlet.
    It's not in the slightest bit rude or irrelevant.
    This is a Buddhist forum. The question relates to somebody who may well be a fictitious character, who affects our practice not one jot, except by being a distraction. Why should it matter?
    The advice, is well-meant and pertinent. Take it or not, as you wish, but it's neither irrelevant, nor rude.
    I think some good points pro and con have been raised here, pointing out (for me, at least) the need to do more research. Whatever Olsson's reputation, the fact that she was days away from entering Jesus' tomb to get DNA samples, and had permission to take samples from Mary is the important thing. Maybe someday someone will examine Mary's burial at least, if politics still won't allow access to Jesus' tomb.
    The woman is a complete charlatan and her sanity might even be questionable.

http://www.therefinersfire.org/challenging_suzanne_olsson.htm

The reason nobody wants her to examine the DNA evidence, is precisely the same one the Pope harboured for preventing detailed analysis of the Turin Shroud. The results may expose a huge lie.

And how is this relevant to the topic of what went on with the man during the in between years?

I'm moving this to general banter.
    We've moved away from "Buddhism and World religions" - if indeed we were ever there in the first place.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Oh no, not another "thread troll"! I'm declaring a guerrilla war against people who make cracks against fascinating thread topics by saying "but how does this advance our practice?" It's rude, irrelevant, and is not what I would call right speech. OK, end of rantlet.
    May I continue just a bit?

:D

Actually, not a rant, really. But the last Buddhist website I was on did pretty much limit discussion to things that were somehow related only to our practice, and the moderators were rather strict about keeping threads directly on topic, or they would simply close them. New people would come, and usually go rather quickly. There were less than 20 "regulars", and the discussions got so "here we go again"-ish that it wasn't a very enlightening or thought-provoking place to be.

Sometimes here I wonder why we're discussing some particular topic, but when I do, I remember that last forum I was in and just decide to skip over the topic that doesn't interest me.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    May I continue just a bit?

:D

Actually, not a rant, really. But the last Buddhist website I was on did pretty much limit discussion to things that were somehow related only to our practice, and the moderators were rather strict about keeping threads directly on topic, or they would simply close them. New people would come, and usually go rather quickly. There were less than 20 "regulars", and the discussions got so "here we go again"-ish that it wasn't a very enlightening or thought-provoking place to be.

Sometimes here I wonder why we're discussing some particular topic, but when I do, I remember that last forum I was in and just decide to skip over the topic that doesn't interest me.
    I agree with you, Vinlyn. Anyone not interested in a given topic can simply move on. This forum isn't limited to topics relevant to daily practice, otherwise it would probably suffer the fate of that other forum you mentioned; activity would dwindle significantly. That's one big reason why so many people are on this forum and most others languish. (Which is kind of sad, for the other forums, I mean.)

We've had topics that examine the veracity of the suttras, though, and even those get comments that they're not relevant to practice. If practice-relevancy is required on this board, it should be clearly stated somewhere.

I don't see why a thread on Jesus's life and possible interaction with Buddhism doesn't belong on the Buddhism and World Religions thread, though.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    DD, do you know if there's any record or oral tradition about Jesus possibly studying Buddhism in Alexandria?

(I can't help but notice that Ajahn Brahn isn't worried about whether this question is relevant to one's practice or not.)
    This is a Buddhist forum. The question relates to somebody who may well be a fictitious character, who affects our practice not one jot, except by being a distraction.
    So a significant percentage of threads on the forum and likewise "distractions". And which "fictitious character" are referring to; several on this forum have said the Buddha may have been one of those.
    The reason nobody wants her to examine the DNA evidence, is precisely the same one the Pope harboured for preventing detailed analysis of the Turin Shroud. The results may expose a huge lie.
    Precisely why science should examine such evidence. Any religious orthodoxies notwithstanding, millions of people would like to know the truth. Science doesn't take a back seat to religion, or are you advocating that it should?
    And how is this relevant to the topic of what went on with the man during the in between years?
    The same sources that discuss Jesus' "lost years" also discuss his years after the crucifixion, so it can be difficult to separate the two topics. DD got the discussion back on topic, anyway, with his video post.