Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

God

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited April 2011 in Faith & Religion
After hearing a variety of buddhists say they believe in a god and some continue to exclaim that some buddhist monks do, I am curious to know if anybody could provide a direct sutta extraction stating an existance of a god or any reference to one, if the buddha even spoke of it that is..

Comments

• Devas yes, abrahamic god no. Buddha remained silent on Brahma I think.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The author of the articles cited says Buddhists do not believe in God. So much for reality. As we have seen on our own website, many of us do or are open-minded about it...and many do not.

He goes on to say that, "The Buddha says: "Gripped by fear men go to the sacred mountains, sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines". Yup. Ever been to Thailand? The Buddhists do indeed go to "sacred mountains", "sacred groves" (such as Lumpini in India, also, BTW), and "shrines". Oops. Wipe out all the Theravadists in SE Asia and you wipe out half the Buddhist population of the world.

The he says, "There are numerous religions, all claiming that they alone have god’s words preserved in their holy book, that they alone understand god’s nature, that their god exists and that the gods of other religions do not." Okay, fair enough. What if someone criticized Buddhism because, "There are numerous Buddhist sects (Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, etc.), all claiming that they alone have Buddha’s intent and that they alone understand the nature of Buddha's teachings."

Further, he says, "that the belief [in God] is not necessary. Some claim that the belief in a god is necessary in order to explain the origin on the universe. But this is not so. Science has very convincingly explained how the universe came into being without having to introduce the god-idea." We don't KNOW how the universe came into being, other than perhaps the mechanical mechanism.

He says, "There are millions of atheists and free-thinkers, not to mention many Buddhists, who live useful, happy and meaningful lives without belief in a god." That's a proof of anything? We could just as accurately say, "There are millions of people around the world who live useful, happy and meaningful lives because of their belief in a god."

He says, "One often hears of people who have overcome great disabilities and handicaps, enormous odds and difficulties, through their own inner resources, through their own efforts and without belief in a god." And the opposite can be said, as well.

Here's my point. Each person here has the right to think for themselves and decide what they believe. If you want to believe in God, you can still follow Buddhist principles (I don't notice the Noble Eightfold Path or any of the other basic principles of Buddhism being based on God or based on not-God). If you do not believe in God, you can still follow Buddhist principles. If you are open-minded about whether or not there is a god, you can still follow Buddhist principles.

The cited article is nothing but dogma...IN MY VIEW. Your view may be different. That's okay. No problem.

The second citation says, "All religions have myths and stories...." You bet...including Buddhism (like the one about the white elephant entering the side of Gautama's mother, which led to the birth of Buddha).

I've said it before and I'll say it now. Personal beliefs do not have to be a competition that essentially says, "My religion is better than your religion." And if we are going to judge the validity of various religions, then we ought to judge them all based on the same fair principles.

The authors cited have laid out their personal logic for a disbelief in God. Other great thinkers have laid out their logic for the presence of God. In terms of humankind, and BTW, cited by an article today about an international survey...the jury is still out on the issue.

Dogma, dogma, dogma.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    As far as I'm aware, most Buddhist traditions and texts don't posit a omnipotent, omniscient, creator god analogous to the Judeo-Christian God. Moreover, my opinion is that the question of God is a non-issue in Buddhism.

Reason 1. According to the texts, a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3). This can be interpreted two ways — that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of beings isn't evident, or that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta), isn't evident — and they're not mutually exclusive. Either way, the point is the same: all that really matters in the here and now is whether suffering is present, and if so, how it can be overcome.

Reason 2. I think it's safe to say that Buddhism is essentially non-theistic in view. However, I also happen to be of the opinion that, if we dig a bit deeper, the idea of a creator God is incompatible with certain aspects and teachings that, if taken to their logical conclusion, seem to reject the idea of, or a need for, a creator God. For one thing, the logic of dependent co-arising negates the idea of a creator God in that it precludes a first cause or a causeless cause. Then there's this famous problem of evil passage from the Bhuridatta Jataka (although, to be fair, this is most likely a later addition that some date to the 13th century):
    We see those rules enforced before our eyes,
    None but the Brahmans offer sacrifice,
    None but the Khattiya exercises sway,
    The Vessas plough, the Suddas must obey.
    These greedy liars propagate deceit,
    And fools believe the fictions they repeat;
    He who has eyes can see the sickening sight;
    Why does not Brahma set his creatures right?
    If his wide power no limits can restrain,
    Why is his hand so rarely spread to bless?
    Why are his creatures all condemned to pain?
    Why does he not to all give happiness?

Why do fraud, lies, and ignorance prevail?
    Why triumphs falsehood, truth and justice fail?
    I count your Brahma one of the unjust among,
    Who made a world in which to shelter wrong.
    Those men are counted pure who only kill
    Frogs, worms, bees, snakes or insects as they will,
    These are your savage customs which I hate,
    Such as Kamboja hordes might emulate.
    If he who kills is counted innocent
    And if the victim safe to heaven is sent,
    Let Brahmans Brahmans kill so all were well
    And those who listen to the words they tell.
    At best, God would have be more like the impassive and impersonal God of Aristotle, existing outside of time and space, to find a place within Buddhist cosmology. Nevertheless, even in the earliest parts of the Pali Canon, there are references to devas or what we might call 'heavenly beings.' However, devas (literally 'radiant ones'), which are often seen as gods when taken literally, are simply non-human beings who are more powerful and long-lived than ordinary humans, and are by no means eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, etc. (e.g., see DN 1). But more importantly, they can also be viewed metaphorically as the indulgent and hedonistic aspects of our psychology (i.e., the parts that are addicted to sensual pleasures).

In addition, according to AN 3.61, the belief in a supreme being can be unskillful and interfere with Dhamma practice if it leads to the belief that everything a person experiences is due to such a supreme being, a denial of the efficacy of kamma (literally 'action') and a life of inaction:
    Having approached the priests & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation?"' Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of a supreme being's act of creation. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of a supreme being's act of creation.' When one falls back on creation by a supreme being as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my second righteous refutation of those priests & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views.
    Reason 3. In relation to the four noble truths and the practice of the noble eightfold path, the matter of the existence of God is, soteriologically speaking, unnecessary. The impetus of the practice is a strong conviction in the efficiency of actions and the intentions underlying them, not the existence of a supreme being (e.g., see MN 61).
    Jason, thank you for your excellently written post.

Here's where I have a problem -- not with your post, but with religious thinking on every side of the aisle.

Buddhists talk about devas.
    Christians talk about angels.

Christians talk about their heaven and hell.
    Buddhists talk about their multiple heavens and hells.

Neither group has any concrete evidence. It's all supposition. It's all faith.

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The concrete evidence of Buddhist principles can be found through experience and logic reasoning for me, and it is this logic reasoning which makes me think that there is not a creator God. Regarding devas, and Buddhist cosmology well again it is faith based as you say, but a lot of it is again logical reasoning how a person interprets it, that's my view anyway. Anyway, I will take the most accepted science theories about the creation of the universe above the genesis creation theory anyday.

With Metta
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Jason, thank you for your excellently written post.

Here's where I have a problem -- not with your post, but with religious thinking on every side of the aisle.

Buddhists talk about devas.
    Christians talk about angels.

Christians talk about their heaven and hell.
    Buddhists talk about their multiple heavens and hells.

Sure. And as with Christianity, there's debate as to how literally these things are to be taken. Many take these teachings metaphorically. For example, when the Buddha talks about hell (niraya), he's often talking about unpleasant or painful painful mental feelings "like those of the beings in hell" (AN 4.235), which is something that can certainly be verified in the here and now. No need to grasp at anything beyond the range of our experience.
    The concrete evidence of Buddhist principles can be found through experience and logic reasoning for me, and it is this logic reasoning which makes me think that there is not a creator God. Regarding devas, and Buddhist cosmology well again it is faith based as you say, but a lot of it is again logical reasoning how a person interprets it, that's my view anyway. Anyway, I will take the most accepted science theories about the creation of the universe above the genesis creation theory anyday.

With Metta
    I respect your viewpoint.

My logic and reasoning tells me differently. But that's okay.

Getting into the whole Genesis controversy. To be honest, the vast majority of Christians I know do not believe the Genesis version of creation. They think it is a story that satisfied the limited knowledge of the people of the time.

My initial college background is in the geosciences, with a slight emphasis on paleontology/evolution. Every paleontologist/geologist I studied under was a regular Christian church-goer, yet they all believed in the scientific explanations of the creation of the earth and evolution.
  • Join our book club reading Buddhism Without Beliefs by Stephen Batchelor. I am actually a Tibetan buddhist but it is interesting to read. He has some value even to one who practices rituals and is open minded to beliefs. For example it reminds me that refuge is in something tactile rather than in a cartoonish idea.
  • God is a good idea if it stops people from following the pop culture religion like Lady Gaga is promoting.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I guess my understanding is that faith is faith because there is no proof and you accept it on face value because you FEEL it to be true.

Of course I could be entirely wrong on this.

In metta,
    Raven

I guess my understanding is that faith is faith because there is no proof and you accept it on face value because you FEEL it to be true.

In metta,
    Raven
    I think I can agree with that definition.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011

... accept it on face value because you FEEL it to be true.

... but it feels true. :)
  • I've never been under the impression that beliefs have anything to do with practice, but rather experiencing reality and working from there.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    but rather experiencing reality and working from there.

What do you believe that will accomplish?

:p