Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If you can spare some advice

edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am off for my 3 month holiday, soon. I am planning to do meditation, reading and make Buddhist teaching the part of my life.
There are no shangas near the place I will go.
I am looking for an experienced Buddhist to help me. Give me an advice or motivation when I hit hard time.
Any volunteers?

I know, I might find some Buddhist retreats near but I am taking my dog with me.
He is part of my family and no way will they accept this.

I am also looking for recommendations for teaching which I can download to my MP3.
I hope, I will be able to work out how to download to it. /Especially, Ajahn Brahm./
I have just bought it today with hope that downloads motivation will keepp me from :scratch:

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    On http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/downloads.html you can find guided meditation and guided retreat audio by Ajahn Brahm and other teachers.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Happy to advise and motivate, if it'll help. :)
  • edited April 2011
    As for mp3s, I've found these sites very interesting.
    www.audiodharma.org
    and
    zencast.org

Zencast borrows a lot from audiodharma, but there's a wider variety of teachers.
  • I am not going to provide you with any links or downloads, or a plan for your 3 months, (this has already been done for the most part) but I would suggest why not go on a self retreat for a few days? Depending on where you live, get the old tent out and head for somewhere where there are no people, just you and nature and only take your fone which would only be turned on in case of emergencies. This will really test your practice as you will be with your brain, yourself and you only for the entire time. A lot of realizations come from time spent alone like this, this is my advice anyways. Happy holidays!
  • download these, they are all you need.

http://media.bswa.org/retreats/2007 Easter/
  • dhammatalks.org.uk - Forest Sangha dudes :D

Safe travels,
    Abu
  • Thank you very much for the link to talks.
  • Happy to advise and motivate, if it'll help. :)

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I have decided not to take Internet with me.
    However, I will check my e-mails every week....somewhere;
    Your offer is great a comfort. The luxury to know that if I hit hard times on my Buddhist way, I would have somebody to talk to is great.

Namasti

• I am not going to provide you with any links or downloads, or a plan for your 3 months, (this has already been done for the most part) but I would suggest why not go on a self retreat for a few days? Depending on where you live, get the old tent out and head for somewhere where there are no people, just you and nature and only take your fone which would only be turned on in case of emergencies. This will really test your practice as you will be with your brain, yourself and you only for the entire time. A lot of realizations come from time spent alone like this, this is my advice anyways. Happy holidays!
    Good advice.
    The place I am going is a lake cabin.No need for a tent. Don’t take me wrong. Tent is great. I had wonderful holidays in it. However, my old bones will hate me for it.
    I tried this last year and after few days I got bored with my own company. I kept inviting friends and my retreat changed to one big 3 month summer party. It was great but in the end of it, I felt that it must something more then this. I have fed my hedonistic ‘gland’ but I did not recharge my batteries or become better or more spiritual person.