Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

karma & rebirth/reincarnation

beingbeing Veteran
edited April 2011 in Arts & Writings
A mandatory listen about everything for everyone:

Comments

• Please give us some biographical information about Adyashanti. I've been studying Buddhism for a long time and I had never heard of him before joining this forum.

And for Buddha's sake (or, as we usually say, for God's sake) please don't start another thread about karma, rebirth, and incarnation.

It's up to you to prove Adyashanti's Buddhist credentials. Don't make us do your homework for you. :(
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "...mandatory"....?

I personally wouldn't be so bold as to ever make such sweeping statements, about such matters.

I have to say, I found his voice soporific.
    Which need not be a good thing.....
  • @federica

"soporific" I had to look that up, thanks for the new word :D
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adyashanti

adya comes from a zen buddhist background. he talks about spirituality and such.

i like his no bullshit approach to spirituality, but i can see how many people don't like him.

eh whatever works for you.
  • edited April 2011
    It's easy to answer complex questions with "it doesn't really matter" in profound tones. Does this guy have any bona-fide credentials? Oh, thanks, Tai. hmmm..... :wtf:
  • Karma is how things appear it is not the ultimate nature of things. The ultimate nature is that there are possibilities empty of characteristics. Sorta as I understand.

Karma is a conventional observation like the sun rises in the east when really thats not true.

Karma can be used to free us from other wrong views such as extreme eternalism and nihilism. Karma may make us act morally and remember others. Etc..
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited April 2011
    one does not need credentials to teach the dharma. he's kind of like a straight forward version of eckhart tolle. both guys who i respect dearly and relate to whatever truth i've personally experienced.

and yes most complex question are usually answered with it doesn't matter. a good teacher will teach you to keep less beliefs and know less.

metta.
  • Karma is a pretty dull and simple for nobrainer to me.
    The obvious and observable moral, mental, social, spiritual causal interconnections and feedbacks:

If we make happy actions there will be more happy in the world.
    If we make happy thoughts there will be more happy inside.
    Equally for the opposites; all is interdependent.

Make more happy! :)

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    sop·o·rif·ic   /ˌsɒpəˈrɪfɪk, ˌsoʊpə-/
    [sop-uh-rif-ik, soh-puh-]

–adjective
    1. causing or tending to cause sleep.
    2. pertaining to or characterized by sleep or sleepiness; sleepy; drowsy.
  • He doesn't seem to be saying much. Who is his intended audience, is this for beginners? Or is this one of those radical Thich Nhat Hanh-type things? And where's the part where he discusses karma and rebirth/reincarnation? I really don't see much substance here.
  • Or is this one of those radical Thich Nhat Hanh-type things?
    What do you mean?
  • TNH takes Buddhism to some logical extremes that are difficult for me to get my mind around. Such as (to quote a former member who was a fan of TNH): "you can do anything you want. You're free!" He's known for his radical philosophical ideas.
    edited April 2011
    "...mandatory"....?

"...everything for everyone....?

I personally wouldn't be so bold as to ever make such sweeping statements, about such matters.

i don't like his bull$#it approach to spirituality, but i can see how many people like him.

to me, there were times he said excellent things, such as giving up the quest for becoming to find the still point in the wheel

but then he got overly samsaric again, as though when the mind finds this freedom of complete acceptance, it is going to carry on living in the ordinary way it always did, with all of its various indulgences

i really liked some parts of the talk...they were well expressed

but because the speaker is attached to his audience, not wishing to challenge them, he maintains the intangible rhetoric

what rhetoric?

kind of like telling the audience, who still delight in the waves of samsara, that there is a way they can swim in the surf, in the waves of the ocean, when they have not even learned to swim in still water, in a swimming pool

regards

:)

• @compassionate_warrior

Much of what I've read by him has been honestly pretty standard. In fact much of his teachings seem to be directed to an audience that is less-familiar with the Buddha's ministry and doctrine. He's trying hard to incorporate the teachings into modern western mentality.

I do like a lot of his ideas. In particular, one my favorite of his policies is that he has removed the weighty precepts for women and presented the mindfulness trainings to address contemporary issues regarding drug use, environmental concerns, etc.

I haven't had a chance to meet with any members of the order of interbeing so I don't have much on-hand experience with his teachings, but as far as I know he isn't very "radical" at all.
  • edited April 2011
    @Talisman I just looked him up on Amazon, and some of his titles look very practical. I couldn't find the one I was looking for, I'll get back to you. There was one, "Be Free Where You Are", I think, that sounded like one of his more radical teachings, have you read that one? He's prolific, that's for sure.
  • @compassionate_warrior
    No I havent read that one. I'm reading "Understanding the Mind" right now. It's a commentary on Vasubhandu's "50 verses on the nature of consciusness." I'm too early in the book to give a real review, but so far it isn't nearly as complex as the Amazon reviews made it seem. It might just be that I have spent so much time studying this material that much of it is just reading other people perspectives on all the same concepts.

I've been trying to find some more advanced literature regarding the incorporation of the Bodhisattva ideal into a contemporary lay practice without oversimplification or "dumbing down" of traditional concepts and beliefs.

I might have to write my own book ... after more extensive practice and experience of course. :D

• I might have to write my own book ... after more extensive practice and experience of course. :D
    This sounds like a good idea. :)
    edited April 2011
    This guy is not really teaching Buddhism. He is teaching Krishamurti & Advaita.

Buddhism is a path of reasoning or wisdom.

From reasoning or understanding comes morality.

From morality comes the stabilising of the mind.

When the mind is stable, it can penetrate & bear fruit from higher wisdom, about impermanance, the elements, etc

Adyashanti is trying to impart the ultimate truth that life is just nature's elements (dhamma dhatu) but without the foundation of karma

When moral or karmic views are straightened out, this is much of the hard work done

Not trying to conform to moral rules or precepts but abiding in them via understand their beneficial purpose

Still. It was quite a good talk. The essense of what was said was valuable. (imo)

• edited April 2011
    This guy is not really teaching Buddhism. He is teaching Krishamurti & Advaita.
    Thanks. This helps explain why I couldn't connect with it.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Why is this thread titled "karma and rebirth/reincarnation"? The video barely even mentions those. I saw a video of Krishnamurti lecturing to the UN, and he came across strangely airheaded.

Welcome back, Thickpaper. :)

• The video didn't do anything for me I'm afraid - and I couldn't connect with the voice and the staged pauses. Sorry.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

The video didn't do anything for me I'm afraid - and I couldn't connect with the voice and the staged pauses. Sorry.
    Ditto. And those pauses were strange, like listening to him breathe and swallow. I guess that's what happens when you wear the mic on your collar.

• beingbeing Veteran
    I find it quite amusing, how many egos I managed to stir into action with how I presented the talk. -_-

I guess I should have not said 'mandatory' in order to serve the goal of sharing with open-minded people. Not that I was really serious about it, but words like this can really work against the open-mindedness. The reactions are like "Who does this guy think he is saying I HAVE TO listen to this crap?!?!?!?". :D

In actuality just wanted to share a great find. ^^

And if anyone is interested of more talks of Adyashanti, you can find some latest ones uploaded by some guy here - http://www.youtube.com/user/evignektar

Another one I would suggest would be this. It's a quite humorous one. :)
    edited April 2011
    I find it quite amusing, how many egos I managed to stir into action...
    Best to simply acknowledge our mental defilements rather than find fault with & blame others

N'atthi me saraṇaṃ aññaṃ,
    Buddho me saraṇaṃ varaṃ:

I have no other refuge, the Buddha is my foremost refuge:

Etena sacca-vajjena,
    Vaḍḍheyyaṃ satthu-sāsane.

By the speaking of this truth, may I grow in the Teacher's instruction.

Buddhaṃ me vandamānena (vandamānāya)
    Yaṃ puññaṃ pasutaṃ idha,
    Sabbe pi antarāyā me,
    Māhesuṃ tassa tejasā.

Through the power of the merit here produced by my reverence for the Buddha, may all my obstructions cease to be.

(BOW DOWN AND SAY):

Kāyena vācāya va cetasā vā, Buddhe kukammaṃ pakataṃ mayā yaṃ,
    Buddho paṭiggaṇhatu accayantaṃ,
    Kālantare saṃvarituṃ va buddhe.

Whatever bad kamma I have done to the Buddha
    by body, by speech, or by mind,
    may the Buddha accept my admission of it,
    so that in the future I may show restraint toward the Buddha.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/dhammayut/chanting.html#evening

edited April 2011
    He understands: 'It is impossible, it cannot happen that a person possessing right view could acknowledge another teacher - there is no such possibility.

And he understands: 'It is possible that an ordinary person might cause acknowledge another teacher - there is such a possibility.'

http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Talks/Transcripts/MN-115-SUM03-TS.htm
  • beingbeing Veteran
    Not sure what you're trying to point at, DD. Could you say it in simple English, please?

• And for Buddha's sake (or, as we usually say, for God's sake) please don't start another thread about karma, rebirth, and incarnation.
    Ahh please, I love those threads, the threads themself perfectly summarise their subject, in that they are continually reborn, create so much suffering, as well as happiness (well sometimes) and seem like they are never ending. So its good to start new threads on the same subjects now and again, in my opinion. :D

Plus peoples attitude and beliefs can change with better knowledge and experience, so its good to keep renewing these threads, so you can state if your opinion is the same or if it has changed, not to mention its good for newbies who want to ask other Buddhists. :)

With Metta

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    hee hee. I don't know how long you've been with us, zid, but there was a large amount of threads on karma/rebirth/reincarnation a few months ago, even several simultaneous ones, and some of them generated huge fights, so people got burnt out. but it's been quite awhile now... I don't know if it's time to rehash all that or not.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    @SherabDorje--Oh, no!! I was wondering when you were going to trot that out again! :p
    Anyway, I take this as a "no", it's not time yet to rehash. :rolleyes: Well, don't say I didn't warn you, zid (et al).
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    or alternatively
    edited April 2011
    sorry last one
  • every thread produces different comments & different
    people comment.
    nothing wrong with talking about the same thing again.
    If you feel that you have said your piece, you can
    always stay on the sideline.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    hahaha! I like the middle one. How'd you do that, zid?
    Proceed at your own risk if you want to start a thread, you guys. Don't say we didn't warn you.
    edited April 2011
    I used inkscape, its a great bit of software to edit loads of different types of files from .pdf to jpeg etc etc . Best thing of all is its open source and FREE ! and runs great on Ubuntu, I think they have a windows version as well.

http://inkscape.org/download/?lang=en :D

With Metta
  • Inkscape is terrific.