Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Osama bin Laden is apparently dead

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited May 2011 in Buddhism Today
President Obama is about to make a statement, and news reports indicate bin Laden's body is in US custody. Now he's a martyr killed by the infidel devils - I can hardly wait for the retribution to begin.

Sigh... so much for compassion.

Comments

• This may not be very compassionate, but I for one am happy about this development.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    This may not be very compassionate, but I for one am happy about this development.
    Me, too. If we were talking about a nation's differences with the United States...that's one thing. But individuals should never be able to declare war on other countries. Justice has been done.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Ten years, thousands of lives and billions of dollars later, and the US has finally succeeded in making Osama bin Laden a martyr. Good job?
  • Personally, I'd much rather he'd rotted in jail for the rest of his life so he could reflect on what he'd "accomplished". I fear this will do nothing but fan the flames of radical Islam all over the world.
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    Personally, I'd much rather he'd rotted in jail for the rest of his life so he could reflect on what he'd "accomplished". I fear this will do nothing but fan the flames of radical Islam all over the world.
    Agreed, but now a new "enemy" is going to pop up some place and all this is going to happen all over again.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    there is always an enemy. in a way, our nation creates the enemies.

i am just so indifferent to this news. bleh.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Is he even real or made up?
    Personally, I'd much rather he'd rotted in jail for the rest of his life so he could reflect on what he'd "accomplished". I fear this will do nothing but fan the flames of radical Islam all over the world.
    Agreed, but now a new "enemy" is going to pop up some place and all this is going to happen all over again.
    Right!
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I am not happy or sad about this news. Taking him out really would not have made much of a difference 1 day after 9/11 or now. It is like the buddha, once the wheel of the dharma started rolling, even after the buddha is dead, there are many disciples.
  • So much hate, people who want him dead or to rot or be tortured, you are heading on the same mentality as he is... Can you not see that
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    first communism, then islam.

@LeonBasin

he is very probably real, but has connections with the bush family.
    first communism, then islam.

@LeonBasin

he is very probably real, but has connections with the bush family.
    I see.
    Thanks!
    And good point.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    I know it's kinda wrong to feel happy about this. I don't really like supporting the deaths of other people, but I was there on 9/11. I felt happy at first, but now a bit sadden I feel that I am happy for his death.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i find it extremely unlikely that anything good will come out of this.

i feel sort of weird watching TV where they are showing people out in the streets partying.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

i feel sort of weird watching TV where they are showing people out in the streets partying.
    Well it's our VE-Day and VJ-Day.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

Well it's our VE-Day and VJ-Day.

i don't think i believe that. too soon to tell, imo.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

Not really, but for us Americans living in depressed times. This is the moral boost that America is looking for.

• his death was not a right action in the eyes of the dharma, the possible repercussions of his death may well be very bloody indeed
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    his death was not a right action in the eyes of the dharma, the possible repercussions of his death may well be very bloody indeed

Yep, but there many Americans here who want to see Usama's head on a pike at ground zero.
  • Guess his good Karma finally ran out. Another evil cult leader punished, can't blame some American for celebrating this.
  • I mostly feel sad that so many people are reveling in a man's death.
    I think there's a lot of naivety popping up in this thread about real life. Yes, all of us here believe that in ideal life experiences, everyone would fulfill the Buddhist principles of the Noble Eightfold Path or the Christian Principles of the Ten Commandments. But, there's an awful lot of things that occur in life that are not ideal. When people and nations are put...well, between a rock and a hard place.

I'm not sure where some of you "peace at any price" people were on 9/11. Some of you were probably in a more risky place than I was. But I was the principal of a school just 7 miles from the Pentagon. We had hysterical children that day. We had hysterical teachers. Hysterical parents. One of our students had both parents who worked in the Pentagon...one of whom was killed, the other survived. Rumors abounded that apartment buildings in our area were being bombed. And I remember that evening going to bed wondering if we would all be alive the next day...after all, the community where I lived was just about 5 miles from downtown D.C. What was it like to the people who were in those airplanes that day that were turned into human bombs that hit the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and crashed in Pennsylvania. Innocent men, women, and children who experienced a terror not one of us can even imagine.

I can understand when two nations are at war. I cannot understand how anyone can condone that individuals can commit war on a country and murder 3,000 of its citizens...and not expect some degree of justice to be done.

The concept of peace at any price, which some here are clearly professing, didn't work very well for Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. Stop and think for a minute about the 11 million people who were tortured and murdered in concentration camps. And that's not even taking into account those who died in military campaigns. And you expect no justice?

In other threads in this forum we have a division of thought about what the precepts are. Some think they are commandments. Others think they are guideposts.

I just think that life is not quite as simple as some of you imply.

• Buddha never refuted punishment for crime. Because he is realistic about the moral capabilities of sentient beings.

Bin Laden activitely mislead many people into wrong views about life. Karma does not judge, you get what you have sowed. Guess we should try to feel compassion for him and hope that he gets to cultivate properly after his time in hell ends...
    vinlyn, i don't think anyone is professing peace at any price. i just said it makes me feel weird. it goes without saying that what osama did was wrong, i just don't feel right celebrating someone's death. i don't think i can take joy in such a thing.
    vinlyn, i don't think anyone is professing peace at any price. i just said it makes me feel weird. it goes without saying that what osama did was wrong, i just don't feel right celebrating someone's death. i don't think i can take joy in such a thing.
    I agree that celebrating it is not right, and yet I can understand how people feel that way.

Not really, but for us Americans living in depressed times. This is the moral boost that America is looking for.

i am an american living in detroit, lol. we're pretty "depressed." i was at work when i heard the news and i didn't see anyone who was celebrating. i heard a lot of worried comments and a few people said, "good, now we can get the **** out of there."
  • People react differently to things because of their inclinations. Why judge how other people react? It will only make us more ignorant to our own unwholesome deeds by judging others.
  • @vinlyn, I definitely agree with that post. Following the precepts is ideal, but peace at ANY price is sometimes worse than no peace at all.

However, it is indeed futile to celebrate his death. It really isn't like VE or VJ day at all, because we haven't stopped the organization or the hatred, we've simply stopped the head honcho. And I have to agree with Mountains and Jason that his death is probably just going to make a martyr out of him for many radical islamists, and will just fan the flames of hatred that he so readily sowed.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
  • Buddhism isn't about choosing a team every time a big news event happens. Attachment to political ideaologies goes hand in hand with attachment to Greed, Anger, Ignorance and Doubt.

Time to change the television channel and watch some show about lil cute zoo animals me thinks!
    Buddhism isn't about choosing a team every time a big news event happens. Attachment to political ideaologies goes hand in hand with attachment to Greed, Anger, Ignorance and Doubt.

Time to change the television channel and watch some show about lil cute zoo animals me thinks!
    Lol!
    Thank you!

• B5CB5C Veteran

• I think its alright to celebrate his death. Here is a man who would plot to kill our families and friends just trying to live our lives. You could be in the US or Europe and just because you were there he would have wanted to see you blown up.

Im not out celebrating but I am happy that a person who would harm my family is dead.

Lets see what happens next.

and also sometimes when you kill a important leader of an organization nobody is left to take the shoes. Although Im sure other organizations will come and go.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I am reminded of the last part of a chant done by the monks at the Abhayagiri monestery called the Reflection of Universal wellbeing:
    "When they act upon intention, all beings are the owners of their action and inherit its results. Their future is born from such action, companion to such action, and its results will be their home. All actions with intention, be they skillful or harmful, of such acts they will be the heirs".
    That goes for Mr. Bin Laden as well as ourselves.

• Keep in mind that the people celebrating in front of the TV cameras do not represent the populace. It is unfortunate that TV news craves this type of misrepresentation.

Btw, I'm wondering if the goal was to capture him or to just kill him outright.
  • As an American. This news doesn't make me feel much happier. I just found out, and simply sighed. Too much has changed in this country! Since 9/11 I've lost so much hope. The changes in our our economy, the wars, loss of jobs, growing division between rich and poor, health care problems, price of oil, debt to china, mistrust of media and political leaders. Why are we are war? To stop terrorism/ usher in democracy/ or oil? Yep... Osama is dead... but Rick Shnyder is still screwing Michigan... even though we're on our last leg as it is. Most of us don't have health insurance (including me), can't find work, or are losing our houses to banks. The gas prices have climbed so high that we are desperately searching for a place to rent closer to College with no luck. I won't be moving out of state anytime soon, so popping the question is on hold thanks to a ban on gay marriage in my state. I wish I could reach through the t.v. screen and shake the people in our House and Senate (especially when they pull juvenile stall tactics). Politics is so divided and screwed up. Palin is popping up in the news again- gag me with a spoon! I simply trust no-one in government... and I believe that it's almost impossible to make an educated vote with so many logical fallacies being thrown around, and b.s. promises being made. The two-party system has seemed to turn American politics into black and white thinking. Yet, vote independent and you throw your vote away. I doubt we have any ability to affect change with so much sensationalism and misinformation. I stopped being afraid of terrorist attacks long before the silly threat analysis color codes were taken off the air. I stopped watching televised news, and I'm trying desperately to find unbiased media sources. I know that the majority of people in my country desire change... Yet still... I fear that our country will probably never make its way back.
    So sure... Osama is dead, whoop-de-freaken doo. Maybe citizens of New York are rejoicing, but I think the rest of us probably feel like I do. I really hope that this is just a bad patch in history. I need to go play ball with my dog tomorrow and just chill for a bit.

:angry:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    First & Third spoke of the Eightfold-path wheel.....Fourth Precept....

Any going on here...?
    Just asking..... :hrm:
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Now May the world experience some peace.
    May Bin Laden be reborn in the pureland of bliss where he may accomplish his Buddha nature and redeem himself.
  • edited May 2011
    To all who revel in this man's death.

You might want to watch the BBC documentary "The power of nightmares".

Or read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_fear

May your mind be at peace.

:)
  • Killing a person doesn't kill the problem. All this sheepish joy is distasteful.

*Not looking to argue, just my opinion*
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    edited May 2011
    140. If a wound (and killing) has touched you, be sure a similar wound (and killing) has touched the others. And so are the days (good and not so good), We give to men by turns, that Allah may test those who believe, and that He may take martyrs from among you. And Allah likes not the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers).
    [http://www.dar-us-salam.com/TheNobleQuran/index.html]

Excellent, now his disciples will have something to do during summer.

Frankly, this war seems like its actively teasing people to do revenge killings in the name of Islam.

As such, I personally just feel that people responsible for the war (American leaders?) are just either completely uneducated or incredibly stupid. Thing is, with such stupidity its just hard not to think they might have another agenda from what they claim. They just can't really be promoting the war because of "terrorists" can they? Seriously, it's like they told the public they will kill the witches. And when someone in history said he was killing a witch at first it seems that the person is just really uneducated to believe in witches but it really always turns out that he's in for more (money, power). So i wonder what this war is really about, i'm not sure i understand anymore.

I believe in violence if its to prevent someone from doing more harm - but
    It is like the buddha, once the wheel of the dharma started rolling, even after the buddha is dead, there are many disciples.
    and since that guy (bin Laden) personally did not actually do the killings, killing him will not accomplish much, as his ideas will simply be alive as ever, especially now that he's a martyr.

As Ajahn Brahm said in a video (possibly 'ethics of murder', can't remember for sure) violence as a result of fear or ill-will will not do anyone much good.

Which is my opinion as well.

• edited May 2011
    Killing a person doesn't kill the problem.
    Indeed.

The Buddha converted a serial killer via his superhuman powers into an arahant.

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Inspiration is a powerful thing
  • Can't say I'm sad about it, or that he didn't have it coming. I don't think it's going to stop me from getting groped at the airport, though.
  • When people and nations are put...well, between a rock and a hard place.
    This view doesn't make me popular in America, but in America's case, we put ourselves squarely between the rock and the hard place, and we created both the hard place and the rock in the first instance. Were we not so addicted to oil from the middle east, and thus were it not in our "strategic interest" to stick our noses into every corner of things there, al-Qaeda's raison d'etre would never have existed in the first place. Americans are far too short sighted and incapable of independent thought to understand this. Actions have consequences, often far out of proportion to the actions themselves.

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Ten years, thousands of lives and billions of dollars later, and the US has finally succeeded in making Osama bin Laden a martyr. Good job?
    Well, not really. As I see the most well-equiped army in the world took ten years to look for an old man , hiding in some caves. Son, I am dissapoint.
  • No, many innocent people have died, from USA and other countries, from laden and his men, many blood has been shed over what... I find it sick in one way how a nation can celebrate somebodies death however they acted, I can see why these people hate the western world and go to extremes. But to celebrate and not think, 'oh, this may lead to a greater problem is utterly fu*king ignorant and stupid
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited May 2011
    If anything, I feel like Buddha's teachings of suffering and karma ring true more today than ever. We killed Osama, for justice. They killed us, for justice. Violence begets violence. It does not matter why you harm. Call it God, call it justice, call it "right", call it self-defense. But the cycle will continue until someone decides to show some humility and forgiveness.

"...forgiving means to pardon the unpardonable, or it is no virtue at all;"
  • edited May 2011
    Hello? Is anyone aware that it's against international law for a government to go after a foreign citizen with the intent to kill? Ever heard the term "extrajudicial execution"? The US does a lot of that. They used to do it covertly, but with Obama, Saddam, the bombing of Kadafi's home 20 years ago (approx.)...it's been doing it overtly. How does creating a bogeyman out of Bin Laden solve anything? There are so many Bin Ladens. Are the American people any safer because he's dead (if it's true)? Hardly. Isn't this just going to whet the appetite of the religious fanatics on both sides? Violence doesn't beget peace, it begets violence. Far better to work behind the scenes to develop strong working relationships with moderates who could hold the Bin Ladens in check (or at least warn us when conditions have taken a turn for the worse, as I read one mullah tried to do, telephoning the FBI well in advance lf 9/11), and to direct development aid towards economic development so the young, unemployed potential hot-heads can get educations, good jobs, and lead productive lives.

Just because the government propaganda machine launches a campaign to boil the problems in the Middle East down to one person doesn't mean we have to buy into it. (All due respect to Vinlyn. Thank you for your moving testimony.) The issues are infinitely more complex than Bin Laden. He used to work for the US in Afghanistan, you know. How many times have people on the CIA or US gov't payroll turned around to bite us? Manuel Noriega comes to mind. When will the US learn? We create these monsters, then we have to kill them or bring them to so-called "justice". Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture? ...just askin'
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I'm afraid it will take a much more compassionate spirit than mine to feel sadness at his death.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Hello? Is anyone aware that it's against international law for a government to go after a foreign citizen with the intent to kill?
    Pretty certain that isn't a law that's been adopted by the US, so you raise a moot point.

My perspective is summed up by Lao Tzu: "Conduct your triumph as a funeral."