Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your thoughts?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited May 2011 in Philosophy

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I think I will have pizza tonight.
  • I think there have been enough threads about rebirth/reincarnation.
  • edited May 2011
    Good job, hermit. Lectures by this guy have been posted before, and he always impresses me with his open-mindedness. Thanks for this.

@SherabDorje: let's wait and see what happens, before trotting out the dying horse. ;) It might not be so bad. And this is a good film.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I would say this is quite an interesting video series for anybody who is interested:

And a great study here:
    http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:qMMbndcHE2IJ:www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh141.pdf+Survival+and+karma+from+the+Buddhist+perspective&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjJgXX6G9RvrD-trkVqJghDiNjNMQWpROuSM-fJQpLhEnMkBqmgctAbvJDoT5KSV0HZo6UONGRupaBVykrPJgj0C86C0fwetGrR0qe5Fi224AR-hlsJohEz-jm5N686aiGSf7KN&sig=AHIEtbQSUG8dlmg1SFLHSWlFiN_XmTsBPw&pli=1

And don't forget this sutta including the 62 types of wrong view. To me this is really an obligatory reading on anybody who wants to form a serious opinion on this subject.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html

Very beautiful sutta.

Some reading to do for those interested, but it is worth it.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I forecast hurricane DD will swing around in about
    2 hours and sweep everything that stands in its path away.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2011
    sshhhhh! Don't jinx what so far is a very responsibly-handled "sharing". Not even a discussion. This is nice. :) Congrats, hermitwin-- so far so good.
  • May I suggest everyone sends metta to him...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    o-o-ommmmmmmmmm :om: ^_^
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2011
    When I went camping we would say bunny rabit bunny rabit bunny rabit to make the smoke go away. So I say that to rebirth threads. Where is beetlejuice anyhow?
  • edited May 2011
    Sabre's video is interesting. The Buddha said rebirth is part of right view? So where do all these arguments against rebirth come from? Interpreting rebirth as a moment-to-moment phenomenon only starts to look like deliberate evasion of the truth of what Buddha taught. Debates can be informative, but sometimes they can be draining.
  • My thoughts are accurately represented in this video:

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    The Buddha said rebirth is part of right view? So where do all these arguments against rebirth come from?
    The Buddha said rebirth is MUNDANE right view, that does not lead to liberation, that is not a factor of the Noble Path, that sides with ASAVA (mental pollution), that sides with attachment & burdens (UPADI), that sides with morality. The Buddha said at MN 60 such right view is for householders, where it is regarded the VIEW OF EXISTENCE is right view.

The relevent suttas are here:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.060.than.html

However, for enlightened beings, the exclusive view of EXISTENCE is wrong view, here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.than.html

One may be a "hermit" but to be obsessed with rebirth are the views of a householder

In the suttas, the Buddha made it clear the distinction between the household life and the homeless life was a state of mind/attitude.

:)

• edited May 2011
    Who is this guy, DD--you? haha! joke. :D Just kidding.
    It's dueling videos! Great. Thanks.
    P.S. I'm new to the Theravada scene. Who is this Brahm guy, besides some Brit? What are his qualifications for putting himself forward as a teacher? Just asking.
    edited May 2011
    Brahm is a monk that was expelled from the Forest Sangha of Ajahn Chah because his teachings & opinions are often contrary to that of Ajahn Chah. To me, the following video shows an opinionated obsessed fanatic, loaded with contradictions & "double speak".

edited May 2011
    His rhetoric about open mindedness was destroyed by his own assertion of "incontrovertibleness" about jhana

:o

His non-sense about a female Buddha in a matriarchial society is contrary to the suttas

His obsession with jhana is just self-serving & not the essense of Buddha-Dhamma

His denial of neighbourhood concentration is contrary to reality and contrary to the suttas, where the Buddha, although not using the term, described Anapanasati without mentioning the jhanas

This monk is full of it and is a fanatical power seeking authoritarian in my eyes.

• edited May 2011
    Natural selection doesn't drive evolution, it's a process that contributes to evolution. I think "desire" (or the drive to reproduce in animals, the sex drive) is accurate. Sex hormones are what cause desire, for the purpose of driving reproduction of the species. Nature designed critters to reproduce, including human critters. Over generations of reproduction, evolution happens.

Brahm doesn't discuss what it is that gets reborn from a Buddhist perspective, from scripture. He addresses it through his friend's near death experience. That's interesting. Not what I expected.

I get you re: rebirth being mundane right view. Back to mundane vs. supramundane. Ok. Got it.

So Brahm is freelancing as a monk-teacher? He doesn't have a lineage or school? :scratch:
    edited May 2011
    Why would anyone make jhana the main theme of a discussion at a Buddhist conference?

The Buddha regarded jhana as a supernormal state and not accessable to most people.

In my eyes, and to many other Buddhists, this monk has lost the plot.

The Buddha did not seach for 6 years for the purpose of jhana.

The Buddha is "the wise one" whose primarly goal was to share wisdom with humanity.

The Buddha himself said his entire teaching can be summed up by NON-ATTACHMENT

The Buddha instructed many in non-attachment (when suitable), even though they did not meditate.

Brahm's jhana obsession is something rarely found amongst modern Buddhist teachers.

Ajahn Chah certainly did not have the same emphasis.

His jhana obsession gives him authority in the eyes of others and a platform for his reincarnation propagation, as though declaring he has seen his past lives.

edited May 2011
    I think "desire" (or the drive to reproduce in animals, the sex drive) is accurate.
    It is the desires of human beings, especially for material things, that may result in their exinction. Evolution is driven by adaptation and not by desire. Evolution is survival of the 'fittest' rather than survival of the hungriest.

:sawed:
  • So what if you're the fittest if you don't have the drive/desire to reproduce? Your superior fitness won't do the species any good. Adaptation is part of the mechanics of evolution, like natural selection. But if you successfully adapt to challenging conditions, it won't help the species survive if you don't reproduce. Kind of a chicken-and-egg question.
    edited May 2011
    definitely

that is why AB bringing up the matter is not really related to Dhamma

for monks, the Buddha labelled such talk as "animal talk"

as Kevin said it the video, "AB is making it up as he goes along"

• Yeah, I see that he's almost free-associating, and his examples aren't from Dharma sources, they're from life. He doesn't lecture like a learned scholar. Are there many Thai monks who speak English? Why aren't the Thais teaching on UTube?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Hi compassionate_warrior,
    Sabre's video is interesting. The Buddha said rebirth is part of right view? So where do all these arguments against rebirth come from?

Modern incorrect interpretations of people who for some reason can not accept the Buddha taught it.. I know this is a long read, but it is worth it, read the Brahmajala sutta on the types of wrong view:

It's clearly stated that all kinds of annihilation are wrong view. And an eternal soul is also wrong view. So that only leaves rebirth as right view. This is also stated in other sutta's, but this is the most broad one I know. (Also nibbana here and now stuff is wrong view according to the sutta, which is also some kind of modern interpretation often combined with the non-rebirth view.)

Rebirth is stated that often in sutta's in various ways, it just is undeniable Buddha taught this, really. Also he didn't just teach it because it was the general opinion at the time. Opinions were very broad at those times, in fact most of the high class people were skeptics or even materialists I heard. So, very much like today :)

Besides, without rebirth Buddhism doesn't answer any of life's questions, which is what a religion should do. If you take rebirth into the picture you'll find it is one beautiful coherent teaching with every word and sutta having its place. If you don't, you'll find you'll need to eel-wiggle, change the meaning of words, discard certain suttas, etc. and it becomes a mess.

For clarity: I totally accept that people do not believe rebirth, that is 100% fine with me (been there), but I keep bringing this up because saying that the Buddha didn't teach is just denial and changing a religion to fit you instead of the other way around. When I didn't believe in rebirth I just thought: "This Buddha guy was wrong and I am right" instead of changing his words to suit me. Tbh, I don't really see why anybody should do that.. :scratch: If you don't believe in rebirth then quote someone like Richard Dawkins to make that point but do not quote the Buddha. Nobody ever picked up the bible to show it says God doesn't exist, so I wonder why this is so different with Buddhism?

Again, I respect everybody's view but I guess I'm just trying to protect the dhamma here from being destroyed by modern times. ;) And also because I think it is wise to look at dukkha in the wider picture and not just one lifetime.

With metta to all,
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Who is this guy, DD--you? haha! joke. :D Just kidding.
    It's dueling videos! Great. Thanks.
    P.S. I'm new to the Theravada scene. Who is this Brahm guy, besides some Brit? What are his qualifications for putting himself forward as a teacher? Just asking.
    He's one of the first Western pupils of Ajahn Chah (Thai Forest tradition)

edited May 2011
    Sabre

I will reply to your first post later.

As for AB, he has gone his separate way.

He DOES NOT teach the same essence as Ajahn Chah.

He has been expelled from the Ajahn Chah community, so he go his own way.

Regards

edited May 2011
    Modern incorrect interpretations of people who for some reason can not accept the Buddha taught it.. I know this is a long read, but it is worth it, read the Brahmajala sutta on the types of wrong view:
    Sabre

I regard your post as accusing another of having wrong view. The Buddha regarded this as a various serious matter.

Therefore please point out the very paragraphs in the above sutta that form the basis for your assertions.

Then, when I return from my walk & swim, I will respond.

If I do not respond, then I have either been banned, eaten by a shark or crocodile, bitten by a snake or incurred some other misshap)

:sawed:

Ucchedavādo

85. ‘‘Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco samaṇo vā brāhmaṇo vā evaṃvādī hoti evaṃdiṭṭhi [evaṃdiṭṭhī (ka. pī.)] – ‘yato kho, bho, ayaṃ attā rūpī cātumahābhūtiko mātāpettikasambhavo kāyassa bhedā ucchijjati vinassati, na hoti paraṃ maraṇā, ettāvatā kho, bho, ayaṃ attā sammā samucchinno hotī’ti. Ittheke sato sattassa ucchedaṃ vināsaṃ vibhavaṃ paññapenti.

• hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited May 2011
    If you are oblivious to the facts, please verify it first.

Ajahn Brahm was expelled for ordaining nuns. A highly
    contentious issue in Thailand long before AB came into the
    picture.

AB is a fanatic??? I am sending metta to AB....
    and some to you too. AB is a great teacher.
    Brahm is a monk that was expelled from the Forest Sangha of Ajahn Chah because his teachings & opinions are often contrary to that of Ajahn Chah. To me, the following video shows an opinionated obsessed fanatic, loaded with contradictions & "double speak".

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Sabre

I will reply to your first post later.

As for AB, he has gone his separate way.

He DOES NOT teach the same essence as Ajahn Chah.

He has been expelled from the Ajahn Chah community, so he go his own way.

Regards

what essence is that DD? lol
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011

Sabre

I regard your post as accusing another of having wrong view. The Buddha regarded this as a various serious matter.

Therefore please point out the very paragraphs in the above sutta that form the basis for your assertions.

Dear DD,

I'm not accusing anybody. I think I made it quite clear in my post that I respect all views and am simply defending what I see as the dhamma. If somebody takes it personal that only makes it a messy discussion, not leading to friendship, insight or wisdom. If that was not clear, than hereby I say once again I'm not talking to anybody personally. That does not mean I should not defend my points, though, because discussion might lead to friendship, insight or wisdom.

To all who are interested:

This is really a profoundly deep philosophical sutta and I can't really do it any justice in a quick post on an internet forum, however I will try to do as best as I can. From the Brahmajala some quotes:
    "If, bhikkhus, others speak in dispraise of me, or in dispraise of the Dhamma, or in dispraise of the Sangha, you should unravel what is false and point it out as false, saying: 'For such and such a reason this is false, this is untrue, there is no such thing in us, this is not found among us.'
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html#paragraph-5

It is followed by a section on virtue, not really important for this discussion. But keep this section in mind, the Buddha is speaking about what is true and what is not in this entire sutta, he's not taking any agnostic view (in fact he even denies them clearly in the same sutta). Then there is a section on deeper teachings, about what happens before and after death etc starting with:

"There are, bhikkhus, other dhammas, deep, difficult to see, difficult to understand, peaceful and sublime, beyond the sphere of reasoning, subtle, comprehensible only to the wise, which the Tathāgata, having realized for himself with direct knowledge, propounds to others; and it is concerning these that those who would rightly praise the Tathāgata in accordance with reality would speak. And what are these dhammas?
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html#paragraph-28
    Beyond the sphere of reasoning means only seen by direct insight, for example coming from meditation, past life realizations or whatever. However, we can still discuss these matters here of course. So in accordance with reality, concerning the following matters (62 will follow in the sutta) we can speak to those who do not see or understand. Again, nothing personal, this is just what the Buddha said.

It starts of with a section on why the monks should speak against eternalism, those who believe in an eternal self, or sometimes called reincarnation. So this sutta also includes the teachings of no-self, because it states here a fixed self, in whatever form is incorrect view.

Then there is a section about other incorrect views: On the world, not taking any point because you think it is impossible to know, things happening by chance, immortality. But then in another section annihilationism and materialism, which is a common viewpoint of today, is also considered incorrect view. Annihilationism of course means no life after death or no rebirth, may this be clear. This is clear from "annihilated and destroyed with the breakup of the body and does not exist after death".

It starts here, I'm not going to insert the quote here because it is a bit long and talks about seven kinds of annihilationism that existed at the time:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html#paragraph-84

And it ends here:

92. "It is on these seven grounds, bhikkhus, that those recluses and brahmins who are annihilationists proclaim the annihilation, destruction, and extermination of an existent being. Whatever recluses or brahmins proclaim the annihilation, destruction, and extermination of an existent being, all of them do so on these seven grounds or on a certain one of them. Outside of these there is none.

"This, bhikkhus, the Tathāgata understands... and it is concerning these that those who would rightly praise the Tathāgata in accordance with reality would speak.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html#paragraph-92
    So these views (including annihilation) are not the reality, not in accordance with the Dhamma and therefore wrong.

I am wondering why quite a few Western scholars think the Buddha didn't teach rebirth or just as a moral issue because this is just one of the suttas which clearly shows he didn't. If you combine more and more suttas the picture becomes even clearer. How strange it may seem to some it's just undeniable, the Buddha taught rebirth. It doesn't really matter if we believe it or not, but this is what the suttas say.

Let me say again that it is perfectly fine if somebody isn't that sure about some of the Buddha's statement and decides to be agnostic on that matter. That is very, very intelligent. But than accept the fact the Buddha didn't teach it like that and keep practicing, keep questioning. This is what the Buddha did himself.

(What he is saying is about wrong skepticism in this sutta is people who claim you will never-ever know, that is not wise, or at least not Buddhist, this is obviously something different from being a wise agnostic)

With metta,
    Sabre

<
  • I shall repeat and post this again,

in the exact words of his holiness -

''In buddhism you can find the distinction between ordinary beings and superior beings, or the Arya. This basis can be made on their respective levels of consciousness or realization. ANyone who has gained direct intuitive realization of emptiness, or the ultimate nature of reality, is said to be an Arya according to Mahayana, and anyone who has not gained that realization is called an ordinary being. In relation to the three realms, the subtler the level of consciousness an individual attains, the subtler the realm of existence he can inhabit.

For example, if a person's ordinary mode of being is very much within the context of desire and attachment- that is to say that he tends to develop attachment to whatever he perceives, like desirable forms or pleasant sensations and so on - then such attachment to physical objects, thought processes and sensory experiences leads to a form of existence which is confined within the desire realm, both now and in the future. At the same time, there are people who have transcended attachment to objects of immediate perception and physical sensations, but who are attached to the inner states of joy or bliss. That type of person creates causes that will lead him or her to future rebirths where physical existence has a much more refined form.

Furthermore, there are those who have transcended attachment not only to physical sensations, but also to pleasurable inner sensations of joy and bliss. They tend more towards a state of equanimity. Their level of consciousness is much more subtler than the other two, but they are still attached to a particular mode of being. The grosser levels of their mind can lead to the fourth level of the form realm, while the subtler attachment towards equanimity leads to the formless realms. So this is the way we relate to three realms to level of consciousness.

On the basis of this cosmology, Buddhism talks about the infinite process of the universe, coming into being and going through a process of dissolution before again coming into being. This process has to be understood in relation to the three realms of existence. It is from the third level of the form realms downwards that the world is subject to continuous process of arising and dissolution. From the fourth level of the form realm upwards, which includes the formless realm, the world is beyond this process which we could call the evolution of the physical universe.''
    edited May 2011
    because discussion might lead to friendship, insight or wisdom.
    You sound confused, as though friendship is dependent on sharing the same opinions. Ad homien attack. Not sequiter.

Friendship is not the issue here nor insight or wisdom. The Buddha said your views are not related to the faculty of wisdom, as follows:
    "And what is right view? Right view, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]; and there is noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The wisdom, the faculty of wisdom, the strength of wisdom, analysis of dhammas as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html
    This is really a profoundly deep philosophical sutta and I can't really do it any justice in a quick post on an internet forum, however I will try to do as best as I can. .
    This sutta was probably not even spoken by the Buddha. Ajahn Brahm's collegue Ajahn Sujato has stated, a common view amongst scholars, that much of the Digha Nikaya was composed after the Buddha with the primary purpose of propagating Buddhism to Hindus.

"There are, bhikkhus, other dhammas, deep, difficult to see, difficult to understand, peaceful and sublime, beyond the sphere of reasoning, subtle, comprehensible only to the wise, which the Tathāgata, having realized for himself with direct knowledge, propounds to others; and it is concerning these that those who would rightly praise the Tathāgata in accordance with reality would speak. And what are these dhammas?
    The above is a stock phase in the suttas, first mentioned in MN 26 after the Buddha attained enlightened. Here, the Buddha was referring to Dependent Origination and Nibbana. He was not referring to rebirth. Please note, for example, the word "birth" means attachment.
    "And what may be said to be subject to birth? Spouses & children are subject to birth. Men & women slaves... goats & sheep... fowl & pigs... elephants, cattle, horses, & mares... gold & silver are subject to birth. Subject to birth are these acquisitions, and one who is tied to them, infatuated with them, who has totally fallen for them, being subject to birth, seeks what is likewise subject to birth.

"Then the thought occurred to me, 'This Dhamma that I have attained is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, peaceful, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. But this generation delights in attachment, is excited by attachment, enjoys attachment. For a generation delighting in attachment, excited by attachment, enjoying attachment, this/that conditionality & dependent co-arising are hard to see. This state, too, is hard to see: the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding. And if I were to teach the Dhamma and others would not understand me, that would be tiresome for me, troublesome for me.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.026.than.html
  • DD, do you not consider yourself so attached to getting your opinion across on such matters as rebirth... If they pollute the mind to contemplate as you have said, surely you are polluting your mind and time with arguing and or discussing such 'trivial' things...
    edited May 2011

92. "It is on these seven grounds, bhikkhus, that those recluses and brahmins who are annihilationists proclaim the annihilation, destruction, and extermination of an existent being. Whatever recluses or brahmins proclaim the annihilation, destruction, and extermination of an existent being, all of them do so on these seven grounds or on a certain one of them. Outside of these there is none.

"This, bhikkhus, the Tathāgata understands... and it is concerning these that those who would rightly praise the Tathāgata in accordance with reality would speak.
    Sabre

I already pre-empted you, above, by posting the Pali of this paragraph, as follows:
    Ucchedavādo

85. ‘‘Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco samaṇo vā brāhmaṇo vā evaṃvādī hoti evaṃdiṭṭhi [evaṃdiṭṭhī (ka. pī.)] – ‘yato kho, bho, ayaṃ attā rūpī cātumahābhūtiko mātāpettikasambhavo kāyassa bhedā ucchijjati vinassati, na hoti paraṃ maraṇā, ettāvatā kho, bho, ayaṃ attā sammā samucchinno hotī’ti. Ittheke sato sattassa ucchedaṃ vināsaṃ vibhavaṃ paññapenti.
    As I said in my former post, about which you falsely accused me of having wrong understanding, where you falsely accussed me of misrepresenting the Buddha-Dhamma, that teachings such as the above are MUNDANE OR LOKIYA DHAMMA.

The sutta above is about view of "self" or "atta" being anihilated after death. It is a moral teaching. It is not a supramundane or transcendent (lokuttara) teaching.

Therefore, contrary to what you said, this sutta is not a profoundly deep sutta nor is it related to the sphere of reasoning means only seen by direct insight.

You have spoken incorrectly here.

The sphere of insight is related to "not-self" or anatta but this sutta is about "self" or "atta.

:buck:
  • DD, do you not consider yourself so attached to getting your opinion across on such matters as rebirth... If they pollute the mind to contemplate as you have said, surely you are polluting your mind and time with arguing and or discussing such 'trivial' things...
    I would suggest you focus on your own mind, Tom.

• Oh I do, yet I am merely making an observation on a contradiction
    edited May 2011

Sabre

Now, to continue, demonstrating how you have misrepresented this sutta.

The sutta does not declare the Buddha holds views opposite to the above. The sutta simply lists seven kinds of views held by annihilationists. The Buddha does not declare he is an anti-annihilationist. The Buddha simply states:
    72. "This, bhikkhus, the Tathāgata understands. And he understands: 'These standpoints, thus assumed and thus misapprehended, lead to such a future destination, to such in the world beyond.' He understands as well what transcends this, yet even that understanding he does not misapprehend. And because he is free from misapprehension, he has realized within himself the state of perfect peace. Having understood as they really are the origin and the passing away of feelings, their satisfaction, their unsatisfactoriness, and the escape from them, the Tathāgata, bhikkhus, is emancipated through non-clinging.

edited May 2011
    Oh I do, yet I am merely making an observation on a contradiction
    You are engaged in false speech. There is no contradiction. Discussing Dhamma is not defiling.

:(
  • How so...
  • Because speaking what is true does not defile.

I know my mind, not you.

• “This, monks, the Tathagata understands : These view-points thus grasped and adhered to will lead to such-and-such destination in another world. This the Tathagata knows, and more, but he is not attached to that knowledge. And being thus unattached he has experienced for himself perfect peace, and having truly understood the arising and passing away of feelings, their attraction and peril and the deliverance from them, the Tathagata is liberated without remainder.”

http://www.dhammaweb.net/Tipitaka/read.php?id=1

Please note: The Pali does not actually inc

edited May 2011
    Another translation. Please note: both words "rebirth" (upajati, upapapatti, etc) and "world" (loka) do not exist in the Pali.

This is why the various translations conflict. The Pali probably simply states: "In the future", per the Pali Dictionary:
    But of these views, monks, the Tathagata (i.e. the Buddha) knows that arriving at such views, holding such views, believing such views, trusting such views will have such and such a consequence in terms of rebirth in the hereafter. This and much more the Tathagata is able to see, for he knows as it really is the coming to be and the passing away of sense experience, the satisfaction of sense experience and the way of escape from sense experience.

And because he does not cling to what he sees he is detached and he experiences for himself the peace of utter freedom.

These are advanced things, monks, matters that are deep, difficult to see, difficult to grasp, subtle, leading one who follows to tranquility and the sublime; things not to be arrived at by mere logic and reasoning, comprehensible only by the wise. These, monks, are the things the Tathagata teaches, having seen them for himself. These are the things which should be spoken of by one when he speaks in praise of the Tathagata.

Tayidaṃ, bhikkhave, tathāgato pajānāti – ‘ime diṭṭhiṭṭhānā evaṃgahitā evaṃparāmaṭṭhā evaṃgatikā bhavanti evaṃabhisamparāyā’ti, tañca tathāgato pajānāti, tato ca uttaritaraṃ pajānāti; tañca pajānanaṃ na parāmasati, aparāmasato cassa paccattaññeva nibbuti viditā. Vedanānaṃ samudayañca atthaṅgamañca assādañca ādīnavañca nissaraṇañca yathābhūtaṃ viditvā anupādāvimutto, bhikkhave, tathāgato.

‘Ime kho te, bhikkhave, dhammā gambhīrā duddasā duranubodhā santā paṇītā atakkāvacarā nipuṇā paṇḍitavedanīyā, ye tathāgato sayaṃ abhiññā sacchikatvā pavedeti, yehi tathāgatassa yathābhuccaṃ vaṇṇaṃ sammā vadamānā vadeyyuṃ

http://theravadin.wordpress.com/page/6/?archives-list&archives-type=cats
    edited May 2011
    Sabre

It is getting late.

To end, what I said was correct. I referred to the suttas accurately.

The mundane view in MN 60 are different to the supramundane view in SN 12.15.

PLEASE NOTE: I did not once deny rebirth in this thread. I simply mentioned two kinds of view: mundane & supramundane.

The mundane view is about "self" and "existence" and the supramundane view is about "not-self" and neither-existence-nor-non-existence.

We have the right to choose our "right view" in Buddhism, for there are two kinds.

All the best

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2011
    But keep this section in mind, the Buddha is speaking about what is true and what is not in this entire sutta, he's not taking any agnostic view (in fact he even denies them clearly in the same sutta).
    Presumably, you are referring to this paragraph. If so, you need to read more closely. It concerns equivocation, not agnosticism. It is quite explicit about this:
    "Herein, bhikkhus, a certain recluse or a brahmin is dull and stupid. Due to his dullness and stupidity, when he is questioned about this or that point, he resorts to evasive statements and to endless equivocation: 'If you ask me whether there is a world beyond — if I thought there is another world, I would declare that there is. But I do not take it thus, nor do I take it in that way, nor do I take it in some other way. I do not say that it is not, nor do I say that is neither this nor that.'
    Agnosticism is different from such equivocation. It's simply saying "I don't know," whereas here the Buddhism is talking about a rhetorical method for seeming mysterious.

Following the morality sections, the whole sutra becomes at least an encouragement to shut the hell up about imponderable issues of metaphysics, if not an encouragement to actual agnosticism. He dismisses a set of metaphysical views and styles of discourse, but he doesn't ever say what the correct metaphysical view and way to talk about it is. Even the stuff about post-mortem survival is extremely negative (though it seems that the Access To Insight translation appears to be self-servingly wonky on this point; have to check with someone who knows Pali):
    Wrong view numbers 19 - 34: "They declare that the self after death is healthy and conscious and (1) material, (2) immaterial, (3) both material and immaterial, (4) neither material nor immaterial, (5) finite, (6) infinite, (7) both, (8) neither, (9) of uniform perception, (10) of varied perception, (l1) of limited perception, (12) of unlimited perception, (13) wholly happy, (14) wholly miserable, (15) both, (16) neither."
    The central part of the sutra is the last section, where he criticises these views and rhetoric as "conditioned by contact." That is the central problem with all of them. It has nothing to do with whether they're true or false, it's what they indicate about the mind of the person expressing them.

(This is my favorite sutra.)
    edited May 2011
    He's one of the first Western pupils of Ajahn Chah (Thai Forest tradition)
    Ajahn Sumedho ordained in 1966 and started with Ajahn Chah in 1967.

Ajahn Brahm would have started with Ajahn Chah probably in early 1974 at the earliest.

I think "one of the first disciples" is a bit of an exaggeration.

For example, Ajahn Jagaro, the original W.A. abbott, was senior to Brahm

Regards

edited May 2011
    (This is my favorite sutra.)
    Cool.

:bowdown:

Tonight was the first time I ever looked at it and I just browsed. Too long for me.

:dunce:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Dear fivebells,

thank you for your reply.
    But keep this section in mind, the Buddha is speaking about what is true and what is not in this entire sutta, he's not taking any agnostic view (in fact he even denies them clearly in the same sutta).
    Presumably, you are referring to this paragraph. If so, you need to read more closely. It concerns equivocation, not agnosticism. Agnosticism is different from such equivocation. It's simply saying "I don't know," whereas here the Buddhism is talking about a rhetorical method for seeming mysterious.
    I didn't mean it like that. I think equivocation is a word not everybody understands so I didn't use it. Just a word difference, no biggie. These are my lines with which I tried to point that out:
    Sabre said:
    Let me say again that it is perfectly fine if somebody isn't that sure about some of the Buddha's statement and decides to be agnostic on that matter. That is very, very intelligent. But than accept the fact the Buddha didn't teach it like that and keep practicing, keep questioning. This is what the Buddha did himself.

(What he is saying is about wrong skepticism in this sutta is people who claim you will never-ever know, that is not wise, or at least not Buddhist, this is obviously something different from being a wise agnostic)
    He dismisses a set of metaphysical views and styles of discourse, but he doesn't ever say what the correct metaphysical view and way to talk about it is.
    He doesn't ever say? How about all the other suttas with the 4 noble truths and all that? ;) This is the sutta about what the teaching is NOT. Not what it is. Of course it isn't in here.

This is another part about this which usually follows the sutta (don't know why it isn't on accesstoinsight for some reason it stops at 144). It also explains why it is called the net of views, because one can get stuck in them:
    145. Bhikkhus! When a bhikkhu knows correctly the origin of the six sense bases of contact, their cessation, their pleasantness, their danger and the way of escape from them; he realizes the dhammas (Morality, sila; Concentration, samadhi; Wisdom, panna; Liberation, vimutti) that surpass all these (wrong) views.

146. Bhikkhus! When any of the samanas and brahmanas who speculate on the past, or the future, or both the past and the future, and adhere to beliefs relating to them, assert the many and varied (wrong) views about the past, or the future, or both, all of them are caught in the net of this discourse with all their sixty-two categories of wrong views, and if they try to rise (or sink), they rise (or sink) within the net, for all their views fall within the net of this discourse.

Take this simile, bhikkhus! When a skilful fisherman or his apprentice spreads out a finely meshed net on the waters of a small lake, it may occur to him thus:

'As all big creatures in the lake have been caught in the finely meshed net, if they rise to the surface (or sink), they do so within the net. As they are all contained in the net, if they rise (or sink), they do so all within the finely meshed net.'

etc.

http://www.buddhistlibraryonline.net/en/the-teachings/suttapitaka/dighanikaya/silakkhandhavaggapali/1-brahmajala-sutta/1-brahmajala.html
    So our goal is to not get caught in these 62 views, which include annihilationism / materialism.

Even the stuff about post-mortem survival is extremely negative...
    Because it is wrong type of post-mortem survival view, like everlasting or merge with god or whatever. Note that the Buddhas finding was rebirth is impersonal (no-self) and therefore can be ended into non-existence (nibbana). This view, which is the correct one according to Buddhism, is not included in these 62 of course. All these 62 views are about other views that existed at the time, like Jainism, early Hinduism, materialism and all sorts of views. Again no problem to me if anybody beliefs in any of those, I'm not trying to convince anybody of any view, but may it be clear those things are not what the Buddha taught. That is what this entire sutta is about and why I quoted it.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Dear DD,
    This sutta was probably not even spoken by the Buddha. Ajahn Brahm's collegue Ajahn Sujato has stated, a common view amongst scholars, that much of the Digha Nikaya was composed after the Buddha with the primary purpose of propagating Buddhism to Hindus.
    Why do you ask me to quote the sutta then and go into why I misinterpreted it if you think it is not Buddhism anyway and just a means to propagate to Hindus? That's contradictory. It is maybe composed after the Buddha, we can never prove it wasn't, but this sutta clearly states Hinduist beliefs are wrong. Various views on immortality are charged in this sutta, I don't think the Hindus would have really appreciated that.. :D

Tonight was the first time I ever looked at it and I just browsed. Too long for me.
    I really hope I'm wrong.. but if you are serious here, than we can't really discuss it because you have to see it as one teaching to know what it is about. You can't just pick and choose certain parts of suttas without looking at the bigger picture.

PLEASE NOTE: I did not once deny rebirth in this thread. I simply mentioned two kinds of view: mundane & supramundane.
    My thoughts are accurately represented in this video:

I am happy to have any reasonable discussion on this subject, really. I like it and I think we can be friends even if we have a different view on things even if you think we can't. But only if somebody is consistent in what they post we can have a discussion. So in this case, we can't.

With metta,
    Sabre
    edited May 2011
    I really hope I'm wrong.. but if you are serious here, than we can't really discuss it because you have to see it as one teaching to know what it is about. You can't just pick and choose certain parts of suttas without looking at the bigger picture.
    Dude

You are 100% wrong. So much for your hopes.

You really need to take care with the assumptions & projections you make about others.

The Buddha said: "The Dhamma has one taste".

As for the DN, it is mostly crap. The real Dhamma is found in the MN and SN.

Third, I understood the sutta correctly & demolished your misunderstanding.

IT IS YOU that is just picking and choosing certain parts of suttas without looking at the bigger picture.

THE SUPRAMUNDANE TEACHINGS OF THE BUDDHA DO NOT ACCORD TO EITHER ETERNALISM OR NIHILISM. They are unrelated to these common dicotomies.

Regards

edited May 2011
    I am happy to have any reasonable discussion on this subject, really.
    Hi Sabre

My view is you are not offering any reasonable discussion on this subject because you are quoting suttas without even understanding them.

You have strongly fixed views based on the teachings of Ajahn Brahm.

You appear to not understand the sutta path is not the same as the guru path.

The guru, such as Ajahn Brahm, is necessary for those who do not take the time to study & understand the suttas.

I once too took refuge in a guru but as soon as I found the suttas I dismissed the guru.

If you wish to understand the suttas, it is best to dismiss the guru.

One cannot be the slave of two masters.

If our mind has the five hindrances and, worse, inappropriate respect/attention towards the Buddha, it cannot understand the suttas.

When reading the suttas, each & every word must be read with appropriate respect/attention.

One cannot simply pick up an idea from the suttas and then "run with it", shooting off the hip, left, right & centre, all over the place.

The Buddha said in DN1 those who cannot understand that which is subtle are headed for a bad destination.

If you continue to challenge my posts about the suttas, this may be dangerous for your blind faith because alot of what AB says is refutted by the suttas.

Please take care.

Regards

edited May 2011
    Note that the Buddhas finding was rebirth is impersonal (no-self) and therefore can be ended into non-existence (nibbana).
    The Buddha did not say this.

This has been explained to you many times.

The Buddha's teachings about rebirth are mundane & "personal". The Buddha did not teach supramundane "not-self" was reborn.

The Buddha did not say Nibbana is non-existence. The Buddha said Nibbana is the end of greed, hatred & delusion and transcends both existence & non-existence.

The Buddha did not say the things you are saying he said.

Your views are your personal views and not the views of the Buddha.

One neither fabricates nor mentally fashions for the sake of becoming or un-becoming. This being the case, one is not sustained by anything in the world (does not cling to anything in the world). Unsustained, one is not agitated. Unagitated, one is totally unbound right within.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.140.than.html)
    "By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.than.html)

:lol:
  • edited May 2011

THE SUPRAMUNDANE TEACHINGS OF THE BUDDHA DO NOT ACCORD TO EITHER ETERNALISM OR NIHILISM. They are unrelated to these common dicotomies.
    So, I keep asking from time to time: if the supramundane teachings are the "real deal", if that's the ultimate word on important matters like rebirth and karma, where are these teachings? Why don't we just cut to the chase and study the supramundane teachings? :scratch: :scratch: Here we have one "expert" on video saying the Buddha taught rebirth as part of Right View, then we have someone else saying, no, that teaching doesn't count, because it's a mundane teaching, and the Buddha's true (??) teaching on rebirth is that there is no such thing. Well, so why does anyone bother with the mundane teachings? What are they there for? Shouldn't even householders follow the true teachings? (DD, you're a householder. Maybe you're supposed to be practicing the mundane teachings...? The Buddha intended them for householders, you said so.) This business of having two tracks in the teachings seems only to generate argument, discord and misinformation.