Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Occult

Hi there all, as some of you may know I have been classified as Bipolar in 2009. I have had to date 3 manic episodes. (1. May 2009 2. April 2010 3. April 2011) Each time I took myself off the medication. I am writing to you from the clinic where we are working to get the Lithium levels correct in my blood. It has been quite an experience, as my body adjusts to the Lithium. Lots of purging and weird tastes in my mouth, but I am happy to continue this treatment, purely because it hasn't affected my mood - it has only made me less anxious.

The purpose of this discussion is really to make you aware of the dangers that the teacher - student relationship faces in the modern day world. I made my psyciatrist aware of the fact that I have a teacher and that I belong to a lineage - and that I do certain practices. I have however also told her that I do not even have the telephone number of my teacher and I haven't seen him in his physical manifestation since 2009. We contact occassionally on email. What I didn't tell her is that the student and teacher are connected in samadhi.

She went on to say that I should be careful because it sounds to her like an occult. I didn't know the meaning of the word - and googled it on my blackberry as we were talking - and it really comes down to "secret". Again, something I didn't tell her is that alot of the teachings are secret, especially those in the Vajrayana tradition. Something that I did tell her and that I will tell everyone here is that my teacher has never told me or asked me to do anything. In the times that I have seen him - I have only received the profound instruction of the Dharma.

After some discussion - I think I settled her doubts - but I never divulged any information about my lineage or about the secrecy that is the relationship between student and teacher in our tradition. I will also say - that for the first time in my life I feel undistracted - and I know that I am a naughty person - naughty in the sense that I like to have people question and doubt themselves from time to time - because from personal experience, it is in these moments that we are capable of great accomplishments on our spiritual path.

It is only a foolish man who thinks he knows everything. A wise man is the one who admits to himself that he knows nothing. **eamiuomz

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting!
    What type of linage do you belong to and what type of meditation are you practicing?
    I have studied Occult/Esoterics for 4 years and have had indescribable experiences...
  • edited May 2011
    "occult" for most people means sort of like black magic, or devil worship or the sinister side of paranormal experiences. It's kind of negative. Or has been cast that way in western culture.
    "occult" for most people means sort of like black magic, or devil worship or the sinister side of paranormal experiences. It's kind of negative. Or has been cast that way in western culture.
    Very true indeed!
  • i think she mean "a cult"
  • I belong to the lineage of my teacher - he has been initiated into many lineages including those of the Masters of Enchantment (Mahasiddhas), Vajrayana, Mahayana and Gorokhnat lineage.

I just think the western mind has a difficulty in letting go in order to accept the age old traditions of these lineages
  • i think she mean "a cult"
    Nope - I mean Occult - i know what a cult is!

I belong to the lineage of my teacher - he has been initiated into many lineages including those of the Masters of Enchantment (Mahasiddhas), Vajrayana, Mahayana and Gorokhnat lineage.

I just think the western mind has a difficulty in letting go in order to accept the age old traditions of these lineages
    What type of meditation?
    And yes, many westerners when suggested Occult or Esoterics they think it's negative and devilish.
  • IF your therapist knows the difference between being in A CULT and THE occult, he/she would not have said, "It sounds to me like your in AN occult."
  • The preposition "an," as much as I can gather from the context you provided, before "occult" is not grammatical and therefore confusing.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    In the Evangelical Christian community "Occult" basically means any religion that is different from Christianity. They've basically taken the whole "Occult = Witchcraft" misconception and made it worse. lol Occult really only means "hidden", but it's gotten a lot of added definitions over the years. I mean technically some of the rituals in the Catholic Church are technically Occult because they're hidden from lay persons.
  • edited May 2011
    That's not actually what "occult" means. The word "occult" (as Takuan mentioned) is Latin for "hidden," and it encompasses a wide variety of obscure teachings, starting with ancient secret teachings and mystery schools which predated Christianity and its notions of "devil," or medieval concepts like "black magic," etc.

The irony is that the psychiatrist who initially bandied this term to the OP (if indeed that's what she said) probably isn't much better informed about occultism herself. For the most part, we Americans don't really look into the underlying reality of things, we allow pop culture to form our opinions.

Buddhism is probably the least "occult" system I can think of, because the whole idea is that liberation is something every one of us can achieve on our own: there are no mysteries or secrets, no high priests or inner circles or secret rites or brotherhoods: the Noble Eightfold Path is the way to become free from suffering: everything the Buddha had to say was open to everyone to hear.
  • edited May 2011
    i think she mean "a cult"
    Nope - I mean Occult - i know what a cult is!
    Rainbowwarrior, I'm starting to agree with Bucky here. Maybe some clarification from your therapist could be helpful. There could have been a misunderstanding between you and your therapist. The words "cult", "occult" and "a cult" are so close.
    That's not actually what "occult" means. The word "occult" (as Takuan mentioned) is Latin for "hidden," and it encompasses a wide variety of obscure teachings, starting with ancient secret teachings and mystery schools which predated Christianity and its notions of "devil," or medieval concepts like "black magic," etc
    This is what I was saying. Most people who come across the word "occult" today will not think of its literal translation. Rather, thoughts of black magic, incantations, and devil worship will come to mind.

Buddhism is probably the least "occult" system I can think of, because the whole idea is that liberation is something every one of us can achieve on our own: there are no mysteries or secrets, no high priests or inner circles or secret rites or brotherhoods: the Noble Eightfold Path is the way to become free from suffering: everything the Buddha had to say was open to everyone to hear.
    This isn't true. Tibetan Buddhism is full of practices from medieval India, spells (mantras), secret teachings and rituals, etc. I had assumed that rainbowwarrior was a Vajrayana practitioner, by her description.

• I confess I am no expert on the "magical" side of Vajrayana Buddhism, or extra-Buddhist practices grafted in during the Middle Ages, but I do know that it is unambiguously stated by the Buddha throughout his teachings that there is nothing hidden or mysterious about his path: it is straightforward, and each of us is capable of walking it without anyone else's aid.

Unfortunately, alien ideas inevitably creep in along the way, like local "gods" and superstitions, attaching themselves to the teaching, where their hold deepens through long tradition. It is always this way with religions--the same thing happened with Christianity--but these ideas have little to do with the original message.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    -but these ideas have little to do with the original message.
    hahaha! Are you new here, zendo? You're right, of course, but that's not going to make any difference to TB practitioners. I suspect that the reason rainbow's therapist said her relationship with her lama and the secret practices sounded like "a cult" or "occult"--whichever, in this context it ads up to the same message--was that she is a TB practitioner. Sounds like she's having an interesting experience, actually. She sounds like she's aware of the potential risks and is in it with both eyes open.

• If you are IN A CULT, we could help. But the misunderstanding between you and your therapist is NOT HELPING US HELP YOU. You need to get that straight with her first. Plus, I don't see how the semantic squabble/tangent above would help you either if you are in a cult.

May you find the causes of true happiness within.
    BuckyG
  • -but these ideas have little to do with the original message.
    hahaha! Are you new here, zendo? You're right, of course, but that's not going to make any difference to TB practitioners. I suspect that the reason rainbow's therapist said her relationship with her lama and the secret practices sounded like "a cult" or "occult"--whichever, in this context it ads up to the same message--was that she is a TB practitioner. Sounds like she's having an interesting experience, actually. She sounds like she's aware of the potential risks and is in it with both eyes open.

Am I new here? Actually, it appears I predate you in this forum by about seven months, though I haven't been around as much lately.

Or perhaps you meant that question figuratively, as in "apparently you don't know how it is with TB practitioners."

I have nothing against Tibetan Buddhism: I embrace all schools of Buddhism, and I've practiced (a little) in the Tibetan tradition, along with several other schools of Buddhism.

In my experience, the Tibetan tradition is far more laden with extra stuff than any of the other schools I've practiced in, but I still regard Tibetan Buddhists as my brothers and sisters (or perhaps "cousins" is a more accurate term).
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2011
    @ zendo I agree with you about the "extra stuff", especially after hanging around this forum awhile, and reading posts about the sutras, I see how that works. My point was simply that you must've missed the 2 threads we had recently (one just popped back up, "All Things Necessary") started by TB practitioners who are getting tired of their choice of path being picked on, and declared "not real Buddhism", or not in conformance with the Buddha's "real message".

Personally, I've become really ambivalent about TB, but...that's just me.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited May 2011
    If your therapist is a Christian, she most likely is saying that out of ignorance. The occult isn't necessarily bad. I've always been interested in it. I have tons of books on magic and witchcraft, the kabalah and Gnostics, etc etc.
  • Yeah, MG, I agree; it would be nice to remove the stigma from the word "occult". On the other hand, some things deserve to be stigmatized, like black magic. Doing harm to people. You know? Seems strange that that would be lumped together with the Kabalah and the Gnostics, just because they all involve secrecy. They don't all involve evil intent.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Is Free Masonry considered the occult?
  • edited May 2011
    Good question. I just did a little internet research. My info says they believe in God and a moral code. The secret parts are mainly symbols, handshakes and the like. So just because they're secretive, doesn't mean they're "occult", except in the literal definition, as "hidden". :-/ meh... Maybe, maybe not. The Catholic Church has condemned it, so maybe the Catholic Church regards Freemasonry as occult.
  • edited May 2011
    "The occult" is a BROAD term covering a VARIETY OF DIFFERENT practices. It is the term "Westerners" use to classify religious/spiritual practices they find too novel to comprehend. Occult leaders like Olcott and Blavatsky helped renew Theravada (in Burma or Sri Lanka, I forget which), which in tunb influenced the American vipassana movement. Gil Fronsdal covers this in his excellent dhamma talk titled, I think, "The Historical Roots of Western Vipsassana." It may be found on audiodharma.org (and probably D.I.Y Dharma).

Perhaps o.p. is getting clarification from the therapist?

Warmly,
    Bn
  • Hello all,
    i did not read all your comments because i only have a couple of minutes and some of them are really long. she used occult - english is not my first language and I tend to make silly mistakes like that from time to time.

she has a concern BECAUSE it is secret/hidden teachings

but good news - we had a great long talk today - and I think she is starting to light in the same way that I also see the light when I talk with her

Oh and Leon - we do the Rainbow Meditation to cultivate the Practice of the Art of Observation
  • You could have made it less mysterious by telling people your just learning buddhism from some guy, and you have fun meditation etc, without using phrases like "lineage" "physical manifestation".
  • I really hate how good wishers here get into medical cases.

Please note, despite your intentions you do more harm then good.

rainbowwarrior , Please finish your treatment and then move to other questions in your life.
  • Soory I have missed my time to edit the previous post.

Here it goes:

I really hate how good wishers here get into medical cases.

You have even confused me, with your posts and analysis of the word.
    I did not ask the question to start with but I am still puzzled with your concepts...

The luck of empathy comes to my mind. :coffee:

rainbowwarrior , Please finish your treatment and then move to the other questions in your life.
  • I really hate how good wishers here get into medical cases.

rainbowwarrior , Please finish your treatment and then move to other questions in your life.
    I was just going to say that, Tess. I think it's really really important to stress that in bipolar disorder, especially when in mid-treatment, that mental health questions get sorted out before "spiritual" issues. There is danger of delusional thinking in bipolar, just as there is danger of delusional thinking in so-called spiritual practices. In fact, religious delusions are a cardinal symptom of bipolar disorder. Somebody needs to spell this out plainly.

BE VERY CAREFUL MIXING "SPIRITUALITY" WITH MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT IN BIPOLAR DISORDER. IT'S DANGEROUS. GET YOUR MENTAL HEALTH SORTED OUT FIRST.

(Registered Nurse, thirty years, enough psychiatric nursing to know what I'm taliking about. My brother-in-law also has bipolar disorder, and my sister says that when he starts talking about talking to God and so forth she knows it's time to take him to the hospital.)

What do you mean when you say that you and your teacher are "connected in samadhi"?
  • bravehawkbravehawk Explorer
    I think your therapist was pretty much hinting towards the "a cult" reference, especially if you said you have a instructor/guru/teacher and have an over the internet relationship which probably sent up some red flags. Anyone can be anything over the internet, so be careful and trust your instincts, really that's the only advice I can give you.

Good luck on your path and sorting out your bipolar meds.
  • compassionatewarrior:
    SherabDorje & bravehawk are addressing crucial points about your situation. I basically concur with what they've said. They're echoing Buddha's advice on heedfulness (self guidance)and self-refuge. The causes of true happiness come from within. That's where the only "secret" you need to know exists.
    May you find peace in your life.
    BG
  • Bucky, you didn't mean me, you meant Rainbowwarrior, right?
  • right...sorry...i was trying to edit it and it gave me a technical error
    peace
  • NOTaGangsta - if i had said that - I would've been lying. I am not a Buddhist, but I have studied the Mahayana and Vajrayana vehicle. All my teachings were given by the teacher. I don't enjoy meditation, but I am aware of its benefits.

I do not have just an over the internet relationship with my teacher - I have travelled across the world to visit him and I have spent more than 5 years working with him and my sangha. We live our lives by the Buddhist philosophies, but we accept that we are the laypersons, right at the bottom of the refuge tree - but we also aspire to be more than that.

With regards to using words like Lineage or physical manifestation - if you do not understand that everyone within the community come from a lineage - or that you are a physical manifestion yourself - then I don't know what to tell you - I choose wisely - because I am aware of my body, speech and mind. But that is not for discussion here. In fact I think what you guys are doing here is shameful. Who cares for your opinions? Go and study and be enlightened - you all seem to know the answer, but none claim to be enlightened. Why is that?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2011
    My teacher finds the idea of lineage very meaningful. The opening to the lineage brings us into the same mandala as the buddhas and bodhisattvas. This is called adhistana.

I don't know about manifestation. I think that is something that a lot of us would be unfamiliar with. I find it ironic that people say there cannot be esoteric teachings due to rigid adherence to a canon that was voted on apparently and probably involved politics. After all why would a whole community agree? This agreement did not happen in the Christian religion. It doesn't happen on this forum. So why would the whole sangha agree on a canon? Second buddha didn't set any of his words in stone. He didn't say that esoteric teachings were wrong. Rather he said that he hadn't given any. The idea of buddhism is that his followers can attain realization. Otherwise it would be worship of buddha and feeling he is wise. But no his followers can also have realization and with skillful means teach the message that they honed in on through studying buddha. Over generations.
  • edited May 2011
    I think what Rainbowwarrior is trying to say is that non-Buddhists can misconstrue what lineage, meditation, teachings, and certain practices are about. The teacher-student relationship can be misunderstood. Her therapist immediately came to the conclusion that she was involved with the occult, or that she was in a cult.
    The purpose of this discussion is really to make you aware of the dangers that the teacher - student relationship faces in the modern day world. I made my psyciatrist aware of the fact that I have a teacher and that I belong to a lineage - and that I do certain practices.

She went on to say that I should be careful because it sounds to her like an occult.
    So the purpose of her OP is to caution us about what we share with non-Buddhists, or the way we talk about our spiritual practice with others. That's how I understand it now.

• good wishers...
    i'm not going to be bad wisher

• ...Rainbowwarrior is trying to say is that...[t]he teacher-student relationship can be misunderstood. Her therapist immediately came to the conclusion that she was involved with the occult, or that she was in a cult.
    The purpose of this discussion is really to make you aware of the dangers that the teacher - student relationship faces in the modern day world. I made my psyciatrist aware of the fact that I have a teacher and that I belong to a lineage - and that I do certain practices.... She went on to say that I should be careful because it sounds to her like an occult.
    [T]he purpose of...OP is to caution us about what we share with non-Buddhists, or the way we talk about our spiritual practice with others....

and this is where the good wishing began; with o.p.'s intent to warn us of danger

• I think what Rainbowwarrior is trying to say is that non-Buddhists can misconstrue what lineage, meditation, teachings, and certain practices are about. The teacher-student relationship can be misunderstood. Her therapist immediately came to the conclusion that she was involved with the occult, or that she was in a cult.
    The purpose of this discussion is really to make you aware of the dangers that the teacher - student relationship faces in the modern day world. I made my psyciatrist aware of the fact that I have a teacher and that I belong to a lineage - and that I do certain practices.

She went on to say that I should be careful because it sounds to her like an occult.
    So the purpose of her OP is to caution us about what we share with non-Buddhists, or the way we talk about our spiritual practice with others. That's how I understand it now.

You got it - well done!

• edited May 2011
    What does it mean that you are "connected in samhadi"?

BTW, a person should never go off their meds for bipolar without the psychiatrist's supervision.

Furthermore, do you understand the concern expressed here about mixing bipolar and religion? This is serious and the message needs to be clear.
  • "I made my psyciatrist aware of the fact that I have a teacher and that I belong to a lineage - and that I do certain practices. I have however also told her that I do not even have the telephone number of my teacher and I haven't seen him in his physical manifestation since 2009. We contact occassionally on email. What I didn't tell her is that the student and teacher are connected in samadhi."

There is no such thing as a student-teacher 'special connection' in samadhi. Samadhi is just concentration. You needed samadhi to write this post. You need samadhi to play X-Box games.

Even if you are a Vajrayana practitioner, the role of the so called Guru is just to point you to the right direction and right understanding of the doctrine, like a regular teacher, and make the results more visible, somewhat like an example of what happens when you follow the path - just like those before and after pictures regarding a Diet, ok?

Most practitioners of any religion don't have personal info on their teachers.

"She went on to say that I should be careful because it sounds to her like an occult. I didn't know the meaning of the word - and googled it on my blackberry as we were talking - and it really comes down to "secret". Again, something I didn't tell her is that alot of the teachings are secret, especially those in the Vajrayana tradition. Something that I did tell her and that I will tell everyone here is that my teacher has never told me or asked me to do anything. In the times that I have seen him - I have only received the profound instruction of the Dharma."

The so called secret teachers of the Vajrayana are not so secret as people expect them to be. Turns out even people who are just curious and don't know the first thing about buddhism can attend certain Highest Yoga Tantra initiations.

Besides, it is not like you can say Tantra points to anything new. It is the same old stuff in a new package, that's all: refuge, generating bodhicitta, emptiness - all in a new package.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2011
    If you are in non-conceptual awareness you do meet your teacher in samadhi. At least according to my teacher's teacher.
  • I want to know how the OP himself defines this connectedness in samadhi.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    If you are in non-conceptual awareness you do meet your teacher in samadhi. At least according to my teacher's teacher.
    Who's your teacher's teacher, Jeffrey?
    BTW, a person should never go off their meds for bipolar without the psychiatrist's supervision.

Furthermore, do you understand the concern expressed here about mixing bipolar and religion? This is serious and the message needs to be clear.
    You raise some important concerns, SherabDorje. I've PM'd the OP, and she(he?) seems to be level-headed. I'm not going to second-guess her (or him).

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Dakini,

My teacher's teacher is Khenpo Gyamptso Tsultrim Rinpoche. He said his students could meet him in non-conceptual awareness.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    My teacher's teacher is Khenpo Gyamptso Tsultrim Rinpoche. He said his students could meet him in non-conceptual awareness.
    This is really interesting.
  • Hmm. Although I don't fully understand the situation. I think a good teacher is someone who listens and guides, yet always throws authority back into your own lap.
    So if at the end of the day, you haven't handed authority off to someone else... you'll be ok.
  • Hello all - when I say we are connected in Samadhi - the mind is focussed in a certain one pointedness - is like the classic saying - "When the student is ready the teacher appears". and in that way - the teachings are not for everyone.

This "samadhi" is developed during the time that I was receiving the oral transmission from my teacher. In essence is like guru yoga - your focus is on that of your guru. No matter whether you are sleeping, awake etc etc.

Is also a journey of the mind - because this was new to me some 5 years ago - but now the guru holds a comfortable place within my mind - and my students are also appearing to me. But is slowly slowy.

Good luck to you all !
  • NOTaGangsta - if i had said that - I would've been lying. I am not a Buddhist, but I have studied the Mahayana and Vajrayana vehicle. All my teachings were given by the teacher. I don't enjoy meditation, but I am aware of its benefits.

I do not have just an over the internet relationship with my teacher - I have travelled across the world to visit him and I have spent more than 5 years working with him and my sangha. We live our lives by the Buddhist philosophies, but we accept that we are the laypersons, right at the bottom of the refuge tree - but we also aspire to be more than that.

With regards to using words like Lineage or physical manifestation - if you do not understand that everyone within the community come from a lineage - or that you are a physical manifestion yourself - then I don't know what to tell you - I choose wisely - because I am aware of my body, speech and mind. But that is not for discussion here. In fact I think what you guys are doing here is shameful. Who cares for your opinions? Go and study and be enlightened - you all seem to know the answer, but none claim to be enlightened. Why is that?

I agree with what rainbowwarrior is saying here. Many of the comments being made in this thread (while well-intentioned) are undoubtedly confusing; and some of them may even be doing more harm than good (such as the ones expressing frustration with her choice of words--let's just get over that, and remember English isn't her first language).

Rainbowwarrior is on her own path, and she's doing her best. Her experience is her own--if it doesn't match everyone else's experience, that's okay: it's her path, not ours. Bombarding her with criticism is not going to help.

As for the person who said "you need samadhi to play X-Box," I'd say your understanding of samadhi is greatly in need of development, and you probably aren't qualified to be teaching others what it is.

This is like a group of confused people, all trying to tell someone else how not be confused.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    My teacher says there is a samadhi to every question. Some on X-box too. She is a mainstream well known teacher in the karma kagyu tradition.

Samadhi is a place of clarity from what I understand. Reality diffuses out into space and then it focuses at a point. So in meditation we drift off from doing our practice and then VAM we come back to the practice. That is samadhi from what I understand.

Trungpa Rinpoche said that meditation experiences are ordinary. Its like the sun rises every day and only one day you really notice it and it is extra ordinary.
  • Thank you for the comments - I only know what Samadhi is from the experience. I was on retreat with my teacher and wanted to tell him an experience I was having - and he interrupted me by saying - we are connected in Samadhi!

And if I wasn't having this discussion here - I would not have known what to tell my student about our connection - but is also samadhi! Don't get too caught in the words - try to use them mindfully and intentionally - like "manifestation" - but don't jump in as if you know something - no one knows anything - knowing and understanding comes from having the experience.

Peace out :-)
  • Don't get too caught in the words
    :thumbup: