Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Want to learn about Buddhism

I have a few question about Buddhism
How do they feel about tattoos?
What about drugs and stuff? I know that your not supposed to take them but how important is that really?
Explain the different types of buddhism??
Basically, I want to know all the basics. I grew up in a Christian home, and am now exploring other options.
Anything would be great!
Thanks

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Hi stingraygirl!

Welcome on this forum :)

If '93 is about your year of birth I can say around your age I got into Buddhism too. I remember I thought it was a very confusing religion at the time.. :D And it really can be because Buddhism says we have to do the job of understanding life ourselves.. There is no book you just have to believe or anything like that.

So there are a lot of things written and said by people because of this, sometimes even contradicting eachother and not all of those turn out to be true. So be warned! ;) But for me it turned out to be the most beautiful religion ever and it made me very happy and changed my life. I hope it can do the same for you.

No problem.

What about drugs and stuff? I know that your not supposed to take them but how important is that really?
    It depends. It is not a sin or anything. Sins don't exist in Buddhism. Although the use of drugs is said to be unwise by the Buddha, I know some Buddhists who still use it.. But in general Buddhists don't really use drugs or alcohol because it makes you act silly :p

There aren't really any big differences. Although there are some quarrels sometimes, we all follow the same teacher and broadly share the same views.

Basically, I want to know all the basics. I grew up in a Christian home, and am now exploring other options.
    Anything would be great!
    Thanks
    Inevitably some people will post the 4 noble truths and all kinds of teachings, but those are tough to understand. The main thing to know about Buddhism as you just start is we try to cultivate love, understanding and happiness in ourselves and others. We do this with meditation as the main tool. Meditation is scientifically proven to have such benefits! So I would suggest you start with meditation and leave the understanding until later. This way you can slowly start to overcome mental pain like loneliness, grief, hatred, greed (called 'suffering' in buddhism), anxiety, etc. This is actually the final goal -nibbana- to overcome these once and for all, forever.

I would suggest you find a nice book about it or browse online for teachers like Thich Nhat Hanh who have the gift of explaining things really well. You can also search on the youtube for various talks. Also somebody made an introduction to Buddhism a while ago on this forum, but I can't remember who.

With loving kindness (we call it metta),

Sabre
  • Thanks!
    And yes 93 is my birth year, and I've looked and looked for something that meets my beliefs and desire for something greater than myself but find most religions too restricting. Would love to talk with you more about it. :D
    Namaste
  • edited May 2011
    HEY! 93 is my birth year too! Heh... well anyway, I agree with Sabre for the most part.
    Anything would be great!
    Thanks
    Alright, tattoos are totally fine in buddhism, there is actually a monastery in which the monks give tattoos on a certain holiday... however I cannot think of the monastery right now. But, as with anything in buddhism, question your motivation for buying tattoos or anything else of that nature. If you think they define you, well then that may be a problem, or if you use them to define you etc. There is a thread on here about Makeup and even botox and I suppose that tattoos could be used in a similar manner, however in the 5 precepts it doesn't say "No tattoos" but rather YOU do what is best and what you define as wise. Just be mindful of your actions (for now, as a beginner, that can be as simple as questioning your motivations, being honest with yourself, understanding what you're doing and why, etc.) For instance when I first wanted to get a tattoo, I wanted it because a lot of kids I knew had them and so I figured it would make me feel legit and be perceived by others differently... that was wrong view, in my opinion, so I had to figure that out a bit more for myself.

Alright, as far as drugs go, it is in the precepts to refrain from drugs... however, as with anything in buddhism, and as Sabre noted, there is nothing that says "Do this" and "don't do that," ultimately it comes down to you and what you feel is best for yourself. I had a cool buddhist teacher once that had told me "Be mindful while smoking a cigarette, and then go from there. You'll find that if you're really being mindful that you wouldn't want to smoke anyway, be mindful of your lungs, your mouth, your heart and your body and decide if it really is necessary." I mean I felt that was pretty simple and yet had an incredible impact on my view of it. I could suggest the same mantra for you while using drugs, look at yourself, and inspect the different parts of you that what you're doing impacts. Just a thought, again it is ultimately up to you to decide. Again, as Sabre said, the only reason why it is looked down upon is because it alters reality as it really is, it makes you act silly and perceive things in an altered manner. Also, it is harder for you to remain in control and be mindful. Personally i believe there is a difference between sipping a glass of wine for a few hours, only drinking one, and becoming heedlessly drunk.... and yet personally I find both states hard to be mindful in.

And as far as what sabre was saying with the 4 noble truths, I have to disagree only slightly. While I agree it is important to practice compassion and loving kindness and all of that, it is similarly important to comprehend WHY you are doing it. I think that can be found with the 4NT... I also think there was a reason why the Buddha used this as his first teaching, it sums up buddhism in 4 short lines. And while Sabre is correct that these can be complicated, I would say that these are a really good place to start so that you have background on what it is that Buddhism is, as well as what it is you can do. And yet with the 4nt, I don't suspect full comprehension for awhile, it'll take time and practice to fully see it. It is 4 simple lines, and yet the implications are vast, but it is okay to start small and work your way up. :)

I had an interesting discussion in group, we talked about how compassion and loving kindness can be cultivated. It can be cultivated through knowing the path, and practicing it... until eventually you're nice not because you feel a need to be, but because it is the true nature of things without grasping, trying to trick others, jealousy etc. HOWEVER, that is a hard path and could be time consuming to really understand the true nature of everything and yourself. (Interconnectedness), and so they said another way was to be compassionate and kind and eventually the intention with follow suit.

SOO welcome to the site, and I hope that wasn't too long or confusing :/ best of luck. :)
    Ash
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Hiya!

I had the same thing. With respect to Christians, but I looked at the bible and thought it was to much unexplained things, so I dropped that soon. The power I found in Buddhism is you have your own responsibility to improve your own life, no-one else is going to do it for you. Also realizing it is what you can only do yourself, this may take a long time but hey.. at least we have our own responsibility! :D Nobody is telling you what you to belief. This is so beautiful about Buddhism.

I think this may be an interesting talk for you. It is a bit long but he has some wise things to say about this. I think it is a great introduction to Buddhism.

A lot of people go to buddhist meditation groups without actually being very interested in the deeper teachings, which is great because that is also possible. Even if you don't accept certain teachings, meditation will slowly improve your life and you'll learn about yourself.

The second thing that got me into Buddhism was the cultivation of kindness. Not a lot of religions really go into this like this.. some just say: BE NICE OR ELSE!! I always liked kind people :D but wasn't always kind myself :(. Now this is improved, not because of threatening but because of my own effort.

If you have anything to ask, you can always send a message or post here.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    And as far as what sabre was saying with the 4 noble truths, I have to disagree only slightly. While I agree it is important to practice compassion and loving kindness and all of that, it is similarly important to comprehend WHY you are doing it. I think that can be found with the 4NT... I also think there was a reason why the Buddha used this as his first teaching, it sums up buddhism in 4 short lines. And while Sabre is correct that these can be complicated, I would say that these are a really good place to start so that you have background on what it is that Buddhism is, as well as what it is you can do.
    You may be right here. I didn't look at them when I started. But they may be beneficial to others. However only if you read a good commentary on it by a well respected teacher or else it may not really make sense at all.
  • Well I spose that the path is also personal so stingraygril, start simple and investigate the right path for yourself because none of us can lay it out for you, we can only make suggestion. :)

Also Sabre, awesome video :clap: I love Ajahn Brahm. Awesome teacher, no doubt.
    :om:
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    I have a tattoo and look forward to getting more. There is a cool thread on here where people show off their Buddhist tattoos.

Drugs, imo, are a no-no. Although I studied Buddhism for many years, I didn't feel like my practice had begun until I quit drugs and alcohol and could begin analyzing my morality and ethics from a sober vantage point. My newfound sobriety is refreshing and liberating.

The differences in the schools are all "surface-level." They are considered different "skillful means." As in different teachings are used to instruct and guide people with different personality types. In the end your greatest teacher is yourself, and the greatest school is your personal journey.

For the basics, I'm not sure would be ebst to explain first. In my own experience, I quickly dove inot some very complex concepts and continue to voraciously absorb new information. My mind works in a way that things come together like a puzzle and as I learn more and more, previously learned complexities gain greater depth of clarity.

I'd start with the 5 precepts and zazen (zen meditation.)

Refrain from killing
    Refrain from stealing
    Refrain from wrong speech (lying, gossip, idle chatter)
    Refrain from sexual misconduct
    and
    Refrain from consuming intoxicants

With love =)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Stingray -- Here, FWIW, is a short cheat-sheet I once wrote for a young woman who came here to find out about Zen Buddhism and perhaps encourage some "tolerance" within. I never did find out if she could tolerate me. :)

BUDDHISM

The truth of Buddhism does not come from a book. It does not come from a temple. It does not come from someone else. It is not written on a piece of paper. The truth of Buddhism comes from the individual effort to investigate, verify and actualize a clear understanding of this life.

Shakyamuni Buddha, the man most often referred to as the founder of Buddhism, was born on the border of India and Nepal in about 565 BC. He attained what is sometimes called enlightenment at 35 and preached until his death at 80. Many schools of Buddhism sprang from his teachings … in India, Tibet, China, Korea and Japan among others. Uncertain estimates put Buddhist numbers at about 350 million worldwide.

All Buddhist schools agree on at least two things:

1. THE FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS: These are observations about the world around us.

The Four Noble Truths are:

*** 1. There is suffering (dukkha – the uncertainties, dissatisfactions and doubts that life can dish up); 2. There is a cause of suffering; 3. There is an end to suffering; 4. There is a way to end suffering.

2. THE EIGHTFOLD PATH: These are the tools suggested as most useful when seeking out a truly peaceful life in a changing world.

The Eightfold Path is:

*** 1. Right View 2. Right Intention 3. Right Speech 4. Right Action 5. Right Livelihood 6. Right Effort 7. Right Mindfulness 8. Right Concentration.

The word "right" is sometimes translated as "complete." A “complete” effort is thorough-going and whole-hearted. Nothing is held back. Buddhism is not a threat-based persuasion: You won’t go to heaven (right) if you practice it and you won’t go to hell (wrong) if you don’t. But honesty is required -- complete honesty.

The Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path carry with them the verifiable observation that everything in life changes. There is nothing that does not change. Joy turns to sorrow, love turns to anger, birth turns to death, and the family car always gets a flat. All Buddhist schools agree on such things, but how they approach them may vary.

But as the Dalai Lama put it once, "Everyone wants to be happy." And that is probably as good a summary of Buddhism as any.
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    I was also born in 93! Also I may have been here awhile but I'm still new and im glad you asked those questions. I got answers to ones I didn't know I had.
  • Two of the hardest basic practice to achieve is to:

1. Apologise when your wrong and not make excuses for yourself.
    2. Pay attention to what your doing.
  • edited May 2011

What about drugs?
    I'd just like to start off with what I find to be a very profound quote from the Buddha:
    Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
    All I have to say is that if these things (drugs/tattoos) are part of your life now, let them be. Don't worry about if they are "ok" or not. Besides, who has the authority to make this decision, but yourself?

As you progress in your practice you will begin to realize deep within your own heart if these things are wise for you or not. My only advice for the time being is to focus your attention on learning about Buddhism and if it's the right path for you, rather than changing your life to fit someone else's world view.

With peace,
  • Don't do drugs.