Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Brad Warner

chanrattchanratt Veteran
edited May 2011 in Arts & Writings
I just read Hardcore Zen and am about to read Sit down and shut up by Brad Warner. I really liked Hardcore Zen as I feel like he spoke my language. However, for a Zen Priest he seems to disregard the 6th precept when it comes to referring to certain people in Buddhism and new age circles. He openly slams Ken Wilbur among other people. This is really my only complaint though and I hear 'Sit Down..' is much better written. Anyone else have any thoughts on this guy?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    He trolls hard. Haters gotta hate. I love the man though!

Once a zenny reaches enlightenment, they just kind of say fuck off to everything and everyone. In a way it's beautiful to see his freedom.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    My impression of Brad is he is an intelligent guy but very dry

:)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I have heard that for all his pyrotechnics in his writing -- the stuff that makes it fun -- he is serious as granite when it comes to retreats and the like.
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    He trolls hard. Haters gotta hate. I love the man though!

Once a zenny reaches enlightenment, they just kind of say fuck off to everything and everyone. In a way it's beautiful to see his freedom.
    Love it! He comes across like myself with a massive chip on his shoulder and he's very familiar to me....he grew up in punk circles in the 80's and myself, metal.

• chanrattchanratt Veteran
    i also love the fact that he openly discusses his enlightenment and doesn't hint around about it like so many other do for fear or sounding ungenuine
  • HawkinsHawkins Explorer
    My next book purchase will be his "Sit Down & Shut Up."
    Excited for the read. I'm currently finishing up Alan Watts' - The Book.
    I've heard a lot about Brad Warner during his punk days, and I just stumbled upon this book in Barnes n Nobels. My philosophy instructor recommends the book to anyone interested in the subject. But he, him self, is also a zen punk haha
  • I find Warner's books interesting, and I've heard it said that everyone you meet is a teacher, so ... give him a read and judge for yourself.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    his first book sorta blew my mind. i don't think i was exactly ready for it when i read it and i would like to give it a go again sometime. he was my introduction to zen philosophy, which was quite a bit different than the place i was coming from, heh. "sit down & shut up" just didn't hold my interest somehow, but then again, perhaps this book deserves another chance as well.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    I have a very old and beloved celedon vase from Korea with a brushstroke painting of Bodhidharma on it, and he's the crankiest, meanest looking man you've seen, with a huge scowl. This is traditional and matches the description of how the man actually acted. "You want enlightenment? You don't have what it takes. Now go away and let me get on with meditating."

So right speach is not necessarily gentle. Master Dogen said right speach and actions should be designed to help, that's all. If that required harshness, then it was still right action. I have not read Brad Warner's stuff but now I'm curious.

There is a story told in my own school of when Master Seung Sahn first came to America, the Zen Hall he was trying to established was not in such a good neighborhood and was being broken into and robbed repeatedly. One day the Master and a student were coming back and discovered a young man trying to climb into a window. The Master raised his stick and ran at the burgler, screaming and swinging the stick with both hands. The young man bolted, scared out of his mind that the lunatic was going to beat him to death, of course.

Then Master Seung Sahn calmly went back to discussing some plans for a retreat with the student. When the student did get up the nerve to ask why the Master didn't try to help the young man, the Master just shrugged and said, "I was helping him. Sometimes the situation calls for a Dragon. The young man will remember this the next time he is tempted to steal."

• Cinojer: Great story. Thank you.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    one moment a thunderstorm, then the sky parts and sun shines on all.

everything has a function, doesn't it?
  • I loved Hardcore Zen. It was my first book on Buddhism and it was written perfectly for someone like me. It kept my interest and explained things in a way I could understand. I often re-read it. Very humorous and down to earth. Brad seems pretty human, so I find myself liking him. He doesn't come off as pretentious, and he often reminds us not to hold him on a pedestal. He also has a website where he writes funny little reflections. Only recently has his ramblings on the suicide girls been getting to me. He is a supporter, as is my best friend. They both make the claim that the suicide girls are feminists that defy stereotypes. That these girls are really breaking down walls. But the cynic in me says that half-dressed girls are nothing new, and I doubt they are really a feminist statement. lol. My guy friend get's this glazed look in his eyes when he rambles on about the merits of the suicide girls, and I'm like "I get it. You think they're hot!" (ooh that makes him mad, because he thinks it's deeper than that)
  • I recently read 'Hardcore Zen' and absolutely loved it. What I like about Brad is that he doesn't dilly around with flowery language and anything else and gets right to the point. Bluntly at times, yes, but sometimes being blunt is what's called for. I find that too many modern Buddhists, at least in the West, try too much to intellectualize Buddhism and/or place it up on a pedestal. Brad brings it back down to street level. And while I've never listened to a single note of his music I find that coming from a metal/punk background myself I can relate to him pretty well. I'm now reading 'Sit Down and Shut Up'. Liking it so far, though it's not quite as "easy" a read as 'Hardcore Zen' was.
  • He trolls hard. Haters gotta hate. I love the man though!

hehe :)
    Does Brad warner claim to be enlightened?
  • I have read all his books and can appreciate his honesty and his openness. He gives us a look at what it takes to be a buddhist in todays environment. As with any buddhist book, you need to read with an open mind and an open heart, make your own judgement on how or if it resinates with you.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Brad Warner AKA the troublemaker :lol:
  • Oh yeah, he is a trouble maker but I have to love him. I appreciate that he is not about any recovery or 12 step, I think that is awesome for people who need it but I wanted something that was about doing this work without having to completely f-up my life, even when I was a punk back in the day. I think you either love him or hate him, can't defend him to the haters cuz he does push some real buttons and he means to do that.

So I love the buddhist story about the theif. There is another story about how the monk gave his only robe away to a thief. That one has its place, but honestly I live a block from the ghetto. My deep compassion is hard to manage with so many people including the ones on drugs walking in front of my car or screaming scary in the streets while chasing others with a shopping cart. From deep compassion you do what is best overall for another when you know what it is, and sometimes that is pretty darn harsh. Said by the lady who dropped the daughters boyfriend at a homeless shelter instead of letting him couch surf.

For me I could keep going on and on. The reason why I love his writings so much? The same personality quirks, restlessness, and questioning of authority that made me a punk are also teh qualities that made me a Buddhist.

hehe :)
    Does Brad warner claim to be enlightened?
    Quite the contrary. He's stated several times (and even in his books) that he is not, and never will be, enlightened.

Quite the contrary. He's stated several times (and even in his books) that he is not, and never will be, enlightened.
    No, he goes through his enlightenment clearly in his first book. But so as not to mislead Enlightenment junkies he plays it down and calls it something else. This seems to be a pattern in zen. I don't have the book right here or Iwould quote the passage. He is very clear

No, he goes through his enlightenment clearly in his first book. But so as not to mislead Enlightenment junkies he plays it down and calls it something else. This seems to be a pattern in zen. I don't have the book right here or Iwould quote the passage. He is very clear

He speaks of enlightenment, but he flat out rejects the notion of being an enlightened being.
  • I love his writing. He cuts through the mystical cr*p and says "this will help you, here's how to do it."

My take on why he goes after Ken Wilbur and others like him is that he feels they're actively hurting/misleading the people who go to them for advice by promising some kind of instant "enlightenment experience" (the sort of thing that could probably be induced by a sensory deprivation tank or drugs) that doesn't really mean anything in the long run.