Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dream Yoga?

edited May 2011 in Meditation
I came across this type of meditation practice recently and have been reading up on it, but am looking for some opinions.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Have you tried it? Is it real, theoretical, or just "oogie boogie" stuff?

see: http://www.dreamyoga.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_yoga.

Comments

• I think this is what's usually called "lucid dreaming". It's a Tibetan discipline.
  • Right... but can you actually bring awareness to your dreams? I feel like you'd just wake up. I've had the feeling that I'd been dreaming while I was awake - road hypnotism - but I wasn't actually dreaming, I was just lost in my own thoughts - maybe there's no distinction between the two?

:scratch:
  • There's a phase when you're just falling asleep or beginning to wake up, called the "hyperliminal state", when you're aware that you're dreaming. I used to get confused when I'd get into that state, like I'd try to figure out, am I awake, or am I asleep, and I'd end up waking myself up just trying to figure it out. Then I realized I just need to relax and go with the flow. But I've never tried lucid dreaming. You're supposed to direct your dreams to help bring about realizations, or something. I figure, why do all that work when you're supposed to be resting? But some people like it. I think the physicist, Feynman, used to do it.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Like Compassionate Warrior said, it's a Tibetan Tradition. Basically, the theory is once you become aware in your dreams, you can begin to practice in those dreams. In stead of having random dreams, you take control and use the time for contemplation.

It's found in other cultures, but as far as Buddhism goes dream yoga is more of a Tibetan discipline.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Can you actually bring awareness to your dreams?
    Yes you can.

The general idea, i believe, is that by bringing an active awareness into your dream state you transcend the barrier between waking/dreaming, and as a result, eventually come to apprehend the truly dreamlike nature of so-called waking life.

Namaste
  • Right... but can you actually bring awareness to your dreams? I feel like you'd just wake up.
    It's definitely happened to me without waking me up. I can't do it volitionally, though.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thanks for asking this question.
    I have read about it, but didn't get enough information.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    @LeonBasin

There are several books on the subject available on Amazon. I was actually surprised at how many books were available on the subject.
  • bravehawkbravehawk Explorer
    I used to be a lucid dream myself, but I stop really using that muscle I guess. I tried it years ago via a suggestion by friend when i told them i have dreams that sometimes come true. She had me keep a dream journal and it really helped as far as remembering my dreams and eventually I was able to become conscious when I was dreaming. Not all the time, but more then I did before. If you want to start this practice, I suggest keeping a journal for your dreams next to your bed. something you can grab and note in right when you wake up(small things like just turning on th elight and walking across the room, seemed to make me lose the thought/memory of the dream).

Once i stopped i started not dreaming, or rather having maybe dreams i remember once or twice in a month. Kinda frustrating, but just warning you, keep it up if you enjoy your (nightly)dreams.

I sure you can google dream journals and get other tips from people who also practice lucid dreaming. it helps you become aware of your dreams, then you can practice shaping your dream or coming more conscious and directing it.