Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

On Life

Jason_PDKJason_PDK Explorer
edited May 2011 in Arts & Writings
Hi guys!
I just thought I'd share this:

Life is . . . .
like a flickering flame:
a phenomenon that
cannot last long.
Like an illusion:
appearing real
but not there -
being empty.

Phenomena are
like dewdrops
or water bubbles
that can perish any time.

Being transitory in nature
like a dream
they appear real
from their own side,
yet they are empty from
their own side.

Like a dream -
exactly like that.
Total hallucination
Like lightning,
transitory in nature.
When there is lightning
a flash of light appears
and then it is gone.

Same:
When death comes
all appearances of this life
go,
like friends who were here
then pass away
and are gone.

Buddha said:
If we cling, we grasp
there is suffering.
Things cannot last;
they are impermanent by
nature.
Holding the view of
permanence
only leads to suffering.
It creates the cause to
reincarnate in samsara
again.

Attachment ties us to samsara . . . again.

Comments

• :bowdown:
  • Omm :om:

ONE CAN CROSS THE MAYA WITH THE HELP OF MAYA ONLY:--

Veda says, ‘Avidyaya mrutyum Tritva Vidyaya Amrutamasnute’, Which means that one can cross the Maya with the help of Maya only and can catch God only with the help of true knowledge. This means that you can capture God by truth and sincerity only. But you cannot win the world by the same truth and sincerity. The world is full of falsehood or Maya. To reach God you have to cross this world by false means only. Therefore, you have to learn both Maya and true knowledge to be used for the world and God respectively. If you reverse, you will neither cross Maya nor attain God
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yeah, ok......:skeptic:

That's not Buddhism, but I'm glad you've found what works for you.
    If it floats your boat, that's great. I'm rather afraid that it doesn't float ours. But thanks anyway....
  • if that was a reply to my post.. perhaps i should explain

realising God equates with buddhist enlightenment, pure connection with reality.. how do we get there?

the dharma, how can we practise dharma in such a chaotic and materialistic society?
    perhaps the above would be of use for some... & it does not float my boat, its just an interesting perspective that i thought i would share. & i do think it is in some way compatible with the dharma, it really depends on your interpretation.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes, but you factor in a 'God'.
    We don't.
    All effort is self-generated, and as far as we're concerned, God doesn't come into it. You're welcome to expound these views of course.
    They're just not generally either agreed with or accepted as a sound basis for practice. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    @cosmicyogisattva, Realizing the true nature of all phenomena, including yourself, which then liberates the mind from ignorance that leads to suffering... equates with enlightenment. As @federica said, Buddhism doesn't factor a God/god(s) into the enlightenment equation. It speaks of devas and hungry ghosts and all that, but they are only temporary formations like we are; like other animals, like insects.

http://www.buddhanet.net is a great resource for learning about all the different kinds of Buddhist traditions, and I highly recommend it to everyone (it has material ranging from beginner to advanced).
  • It's not the God part that worries me. I don't like the idea that in order to reach God (or whatever), you have to cross this world by false means. All that does is add more falsehood and suffering to the world. The precepts are there for a reason. Someone figured all this out 2500 years ago, and living by false means wasn't part of the program.
  • This little piece made me think of a tattoo idea. I just want a huge tattoo that says "nothings permanent", lol!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    This little piece made me think of a tattoo idea. I just want a huge tattoo that says "nothings permanent", lol!
    Hehe, thats funny.

:thumbsup:
  • Jason_PDKJason_PDK Explorer
    This little piece made me think of a tattoo idea. I just want a huge tattoo that says "nothings permanent", lol!
    Lol!