Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Spontaneous Awakening

edited May 2011 in Arts & Writings
Do you believe in spontaneous awakening? Do you know any friend or family who has had an experience similar to Eckhart Tolle. Ascending Awakening will take place between 2012 and 2017..there will be a mass consciousness rising. What will happen then?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2011
    No, I don't know anyone who's had an experience like that.

As to your second point, that's only speculation.

It doesn't pay to focus on a complete hypothesis.
    I don't really think there's anything worth worrying about.
    Wait until it's a fact.

But it's not a fact, it's just all new-age supposition.... and as such, airy-fairy and irrelevant.
  • Tolle's experience is only by self-report.

As far as the "Ascending Awakening", I agree with Fed that it's speculative. Is there any evidence for that?

I say "meh".
  • FenixFenix Veteran

heres someone with that kind of experience
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    lol there's someone who wants to scam people to make a quick buck
  • RicRic
    edited May 2011
    wow what is Ascending Awakening ? I thought I knew all the current "predictions". Was this also predicted by the Mayans ?

but seriously, who came up with it ? I love to read about this kind of stuff.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Really??

:lol::lol::lol:
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    Tolle's experience is only by self-report.
    don't you think he's legit?

• heres someone with that kind of experience
    For a person who had such a wonderful time with timelessness:

Why does he wear in one video gold watch and in the other huge one? I will not even mention his ring. Is this a product of his enlightment?

• Do you believe in spontaneous awakening? Do you know any friend or family who has had an experience similar to Eckhart Tolle. Ascending Awakening will take place between 2012 and 2017..there will be a mass consciousness rising. What will happen then?

If you will be as old as me you would live through numerous dates predicting the end of earth, universe, consciousness or armageddon.

Not sure if this will be good news or bad but I am still alive . My predecessors were too as I would not be here. :lol:
  • FenixFenix Veteran

Why does he wear in one video gold watch and in the other huge one? I will not even mention his ring. Is this a product of his enlightment?

I thought he was the real deal, although I thought the same about osho
  • He might be, who knows?!

What I meant is to be skeptical and question.
    In the end of the day you are the only person who can make a judgment and get to your :om:
  • Tolle's experience is only by self-report.
    don't you think he's legit?
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't think he'll go down in history as a major teacher.

He supposedly was in and out of mental institutions. Maybe it was depersonalization or some similar phenomena. That happens to lots of people.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2011

To keep time, you did, and yes, respectively.

• For a person who had such a wonderful time with timelessness:

Why does he wear in one video gold watch and in the other huge one? I will not even mention his ring. Is this a product of his timelessness ?
    To keep time, you did, and yes, respectively.
    Respectively

OK , let me buy all those and send you a bill if it does not work. :vimp:

For me a person who was privileged enough to get to timelessness and inside wisdom and at the same time wears the attachments to earthly treasures. /forget watches and look at his silk cloth/ brings huge alarm bells.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    all awakening is spontaneous.

either one cultivates enough conditions to have an awakening and then they don't have to do the leg work after awakening.
    this is called gradual cultivation then sudden awakening.

or one has a sudden awakening out of no where and then they have to gradually cultivate that awakening.
    this is called sudden awakening then gradual cultivation.

each person is different and each experience is different but all awakening happens right here and right now.

i do believe that there is a massive awakening that is going on. i see a lot of enlightened activity, but that might be my projection. who knows for sure?
  • I wish I could find a picture of Eddie Murphy when he does "doo--wee--ooo" like in The Golden Child...

The Awakening of the Planetary Heart and Ascension to New Earth Consciousness

The Energies for October 2007
    The Awakening of the Planetary Heart and Ascension to New Earth Consciousness
    Archangel Michael through Celia Fenn

http://unearthly-souls.tribe.net/thread/63da8df4-dfc0-4f0f-9c8d-14722d4b771f
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    @taiyaki, I second what you said, there are always the two components of sudden awakening and gradual cultivation. There is no sudden "complete" awakening either in my experience, it's always a process with greater depths until final release.

One example is you are suddenly given a plaque for 10 years of on-the-job service. Sure, it happened just then, but didn't the 10 years all lead up to it? It's always a process like this. Awakening happens when all of the conditions for awakening are met. Nothing is really "sudden" any more than anything is "self", it's all conditioned processes dependent upon each other.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    "Spontaneous Awakening" happens, both inside and outside of Buddhism, but is usually preceded by some sort of study and practice. Awakening is not such a big deal, won't get you anything.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Awakening is not such a big deal, won't get you anything.
    Dang, what about the decoder-ring? Or was that a ring-decoder?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

For me a person who was privileged enough to get to timelessness and inside wisdom and at the same time wears the attachments to earthly treasures. /forget watches and look at his silk cloth/ brings huge alarm bells.
    You assume he has attachment to any of those, which is a baggage of observing.

He has a watch, and a robe, and a beard. Are those things important?

What does he say? Is that important?

Why are you speaking of his wardrobe and not his information? Should he be in rags to have tess-cred?

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2011

all awakening is spontaneous.

either one cultivates enough conditions to have an awakening and then they don't have to do the leg work after awakening.
    this is called gradual cultivation then sudden awakening.

or

one has a sudden awakening out of no where and then they have to gradually cultivate that awakening.
    this is called sudden awakening then gradual cultivation.
    the first one become Arahnt straight away and have nothing to do to understand dhamma or live according to dhamma

the second one become Stream-entry and need to practice to live according to dhamma he understood at the awakening

jinzang said:

Awakening is not such a big deal, won't get you anything.
    it is a paradigm shift and one does not blindly believe in anything anymore because one sees with wisdom exactly what one sees, hears, feels and knows

surely that is a big deal and 'you' get 'something'
    that 'something' is happiness, no suffering, and peace within

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I've never heard of anyone going from unenlightened to fully enlightened (Arahant) all at once. Do we have a real source for that? I mean in Theravada there's 4 levels of awakening, in Mahayana there's 10 bhumis, in Zen there are many satoris, but I've never read about going from 0-60 and skipping the acceleration in-between. Even the Buddha, though he purportedly became fully enlightened in a single night, was said to go through all of the levels in progression during that night.

What I understand is sudden awakening then gradual cultivation comes to those who know nothing of the Buddha and awaken on their own, but it's still not perfect so they have to go deeper until final liberation. Gradual cultivation then sudden awakening is the path of the yogi, he/she that is fluent in the Buddha's Dharma and puts forth right effort to cultivate the conditions for that initial awakening.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    I've never heard of anyone going from unenlightened to fully enlightened (Arahant) all at once.
    Read Bahiya sutta

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Read it, but that's not much to go on. Is that all we have? Is there anything explicit somewhere claiming one can skip all of the intermediate steps? That sutra is kinda vague to me and may not actually be saying what it's saying. If there's somewhere that it's clearly spelled out that one can go from worldling to fully-enlightened in one jump, that would put the nail in the coffin! It just still seems that however you look at it, all of the conditions must be met for awakening, which means it's never "all of the sudden", but rather that the conditions are met.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

Sidhartha Goutama had been cultivating virtue (seela), samadhi (concentration) and wisdom (panna) before his enlightenment (awakening to the Truth)
    not only in his last birth but also in his previous births according to suttas and privious life stories (jathaka katha)

if one believes in sutta and jathaka katha, it is a belief
    if one does not believe in them, still it is a belief

Siddhartha Gouthama before his enlightenment (become Buddha) and many others before their enlightenment (Arahants) were said to be unenlightened worldlings

that does not mean they had not been cultivating seela, samadhi and panna

since they had been cultivating and once awaken to the Truth, they did not have to do anything anymore to understand Dhamma or live according to Dhamma

those who have not cultivated seela, samadhi and panna to the full extent and even if they are awaken to the Truth (stream-winning etc.) they have things to do
    (has not done what has to be done)
    they have to practice to live according to dhamma because habitual tendencies are still strong

the important thing to do is get the Noble Right Understanding/stream-winning/sotapanna/Noble Right view and then many problems will be solved

what one has to do is try to understand
    five aggregates
    or
    six sense bases
    or
    four elements

first one need to read or listen to know what are they (parathogosa)
    and
    then think over it (yoniso manasikara)
    and
    do insight meditation on them (vipassana or contemplation)
  • "Spontaneous Awakening" happens, both inside and outside of Buddhism, but is usually preceded by some sort of study and practice. Awakening is not such a big deal, won't get you anything.
    I also know of one that was not preceded but who knows how all causal conditions work eh. Good to see you @jinzang
  • Hi all...Spontaneous awakening does happen...in an instant...it is when the Ego has been so crushed that it beats a hasty retreat...and then there is room for the Divine Light..
    Eckhart Tolle did have a lot of perceived sorrow or pain and he did experience a sudden awakening..thanks
  • He supposedly was in and out of mental institutions.
    SherabDorje, can you please provide a reference for this claim?
  • it is when the Ego has been so crushed that it beats a hasty retreat...
    Hi

This doesn't sound like what Buddhism teaches to me, do you have a reference that I could look into? No problems if there is not too.

Thanks,
    Abu
  • He supposedly was in and out of mental institutions.
    SherabDorje, can you please provide a reference for this claim?
    I was incorrect about the mental institutions but he did apparently suffer from deep depression. I'm not discounting his experience, just putting it in context. He could have had a "good" dissociative episode.

I wish my depression would go away like his did. Again, I'm not discounting his experience. This happens to a lot of people, and his outcome was good.

Eckhart Tolle
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

"One night in 1977, at the age of 29, after having suffered from long periods of suicidal depression, Tolle says he experienced an "inner transformation."[5] That night he awakened from his sleep, suffering from feelings of depression that were "almost unbearable," but then experienced a life-changing epiphany.[9] Recounting the experience, Tolle says,

I couldn’t live with myself any longer. And in this a question arose without an answer: who is the ‘I’ that cannot live with the self? What is the self? I felt drawn into a void. I didn’t know at the time that what really happened was the mind-made self, with its heaviness, its problems, that lives between the unsatisfying past and the fearful future, collapsed. It dissolved. The next morning I woke up and everything was so peaceful. The peace was there because there was no self. Just a sense of presence or “beingness,” just observing and watching.
  • I was incorrect about the mental institutions but he did apparently suffer from deep depression. I'm not discounting his experience, just putting it in context. He could have had a "good" dissociative episode.

I wish my depression would go away like his did. Again, I'm not discounting his experience. This happens to a lot of people, and his outcome was good.

Eckhart Tolle
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

"One night in 1977, at the age of 29, after having suffered from long periods of suicidal depression, Tolle says he experienced an "inner transformation."[5] That night he awakened from his sleep, suffering from feelings of depression that were "almost unbearable," but then experienced a life-changing epiphany.[9] Recounting the experience, Tolle says,

I couldn’t live with myself any longer. And in this a question arose without an answer: who is the ‘I’ that cannot live with the self? What is the self? I felt drawn into a void. I didn’t know at the time that what really happened was the mind-made self, with its heaviness, its problems, that lives between the unsatisfying past and the fearful future, collapsed. It dissolved. The next morning I woke up and everything was so peaceful. The peace was there because there was no self. Just a sense of presence or “beingness,” just observing and watching.
    I see you quoting a third-party description from Wikipedia--is it safe to surmise you haven't actually read Tolle's books?

No offense, but "mental institutions" and "dissociative episodes" sound like the kind of wildly inaccurate descriptions of Tolle's experience that could only spring from a non-acquaintance with the man's actual work.

*The Power of Now* is thoroughly suffused with Buddhism--Buddhism is the whole methodology of Tolle's work. He doesn't *tell* the reader it's Buddhism (probably because he wants to avoid the stigma of organized religion), but a Buddhist reading the book will spot the telltale signs everywhere--including what you describe as a "dissociative episode," where Tolle came to realize through personal experience the Buddha's teaching about "self."

Again: not meaning any disrespect toward you, but some readers here may have gotten the erroneous impression that Tolle was mentally unbalanced, because of your comment about mental institutions, which has no basis (that I know of) in fact. That's how falsehood and misinformation get spread around the Internet.

My personal impression of Tolle, based on having read his work, is that he is one of the wisest teachers of our time.
  • I have read the Power of Now and it is good, but I think the problem is that Tolle tries to turn into something too easily accessible. Like Zendo said, there's almost no mention of Buddhism in it but it is almost completely Buddhist. This makes it feel slightly gimmicky and even trendy (especially the association with Oprah and Paris Hilton). But I think underneath, it is a very powerful peice of work but nothing more enlightening than has been produced by countless other spiritual authors. I personally prefer Adyashanti's work.
    edited May 2011

I see you quoting a third-party description from Wikipedia--is it safe to surmise you haven't actually read Tolle's books?
    Actually, the quoted passage is directly lifted form the preface of "The Power of Now". These are ET's own words....

*The Power of Now* is thoroughly suffused with Buddhism--Buddhism is the whole methodology of Tolle's work. He doesn't *tell* the reader it's Buddhism (probably because he wants to avoid the stigma of organized religion), but a Buddhist reading the book will spot the telltale signs everywhere--including what you describe as a "dissociative episode," where Tolle came to realize through personal experience the Buddha's teaching about "self."
    I on the other hand have read the book. It had an enormous impact on me, but I don't accord either him, or the work, any specific importance or prominence. No more or no less than any other work of this kind.
    It's the work of an author wishing to convey a message. The author is irrelevant, and as such it is the power of the message and it's long-term effect which is to be assessed.
    Again: not meaning any disrespect toward you, but some readers here may have gotten the erroneous impression that Tolle was mentally unbalanced,
    He was, he admits it himself. You can't get a lot more mentally unbalanced than suicidal depression. That's a pretty unbalanced state of mind.
    My personal impression of Tolle, based on having read his work, is that he is one of the wisest teachers of our time.
    He's good.
    but don't put him on a pedestal.
    He's just as human as anyone else.

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2011
    No, I don't know anyone who's had an experience like that.

As to your second point, that's only speculation.

It doesn't pay to focus on a complete hypothesis.

I don't really think there's anything worth worrying about.
    Wait until it's a fact.

But it's not a fact, it's just all new-age supposition.... and as such, airy-fairy and irrelevant.

I also do not know anyone who has had an experience like that, but then, I do know people who chose to speak in terms which suggest they had " light bulb " moments, spiritual conversions etc. and have never felt the need to explore how long it took them to get to that point - lol .... maybe some folk need to see that; that is to have a sudden conceptualistion, experience or that a conversion can/does occur from a certain perspective .... slow and steady, different teachers and living my life one day at a time has seen positive moves forward for this little yellow rubber duckie - and that is enough for me :)
    I have had enough lightbulb moments to seriously undermine the national Grid - It makes me no more nor less "Enlightened" than them....But I would never, ever presume to declare myself enlightened, even if I thought I was.

But I'm agreeing with you in your comments, not arguing.
    Just putting my experience forward.... :)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Spontaneous awakenings can happen when situations force you into a very earnest quest to find the true Self, via self-inquiry. This is what happened for Ramana Maharshi, what happened to Eckhart Tolle, and so on.

Personally my awakening came almost two years after I began the process of self-inquiry... not as spontaneous as some others reported, but I did remember that a very very deep desire to find out the bottom of the truth of my Being was what 'done the job'. Perhaps the others had it right from the beginning... mine was a gradual accumulation of the 'Great Doubt' as Zen calls it, the doubt that wants to get to the bottom of questions like Who am I?

That said, self-realisation is merely the first stage. See http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Personally, I partly believe that spontaneous awakening is possible, but only the lower level of "stream enterer". The reason why I say this is because there are stories of people attaining this level after merely hearing the teachings of the Buddha. There is also the case of Huineng, the 6th patriarch of Zen, who experienced awakening after hearing the words of the Diamond Sutra. I'm not sure if it was considered "stream entry", because of the differences between Theravada and Mahayana, but it certainly was a spontaneous experience of the beginning stages of enlightenment.

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Personally, I partly believe that spontaneous awakening is possible, but only the lower level of "stream enterer". The reason why I say this is because there are stories of people attaining this level after merely hearing the teachings of the Buddha. There is also the case of Huineng, the 6th patriarch of Zen, who experienced awakening after hearing the words of the Diamond Sutra. I'm not sure if it was considered "stream entry", because of the differences between Theravada and Mahayana, but it certainly was a spontaneous experience of the beginning stages of enlightenment.

That's right... that said, spontaneous awakening need not be stream entry.

The spontaneous awakening of I AM (Thusness Stage 1) such as Eckhart Tolle is not stream entry.

If you had a realization of Anatta (Thusness Stage 5), then it is stream entry.

Some people, like Bahiya in the Bahiya Sutta, not only had spontaneous awakening of Anatta but ended all afflictions and fetters immediately after listening to the Buddha's discourses. Such are those with deep calibre and capacity at comprehending dharma.

So spontaneous awakenings have many different types and levels.

I too, suddenly realized anatta through contemplating on Buddha's instructions on Bahiya Sutta while marching (I'm serving mandatory 2 year military), but I cannot say that I have reached the end of contemplative path.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    (...)

of course! enlightenment is about being shiny (because of the light), therefore the bling.
    (jk'ing)
  • of course! enlightenment is about being shiny (because of the light), therefore the bling.
    (jk'ing)
    Thanks for the laugh today @Vincenzi !
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    f
    I too, suddenly realized anatta through contemplating on Buddha's instructions on Bahiya Sutta while marching (I'm serving mandatory 2 year military), but I cannot say that I have reached the end of contemplative path.
    Where are you serving at? why is it mandatory? I too am currently serving mandatory "sentence" in the army, in Finland
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011
    f
    Where are you serving at? why is it mandatory? I too am currently serving mandatory "sentence" in the army, in Finland
    In Singapore, 2 year military service is mandatory for every non-disabled male.

@fenix and @xabir: Any possible further discourse on this matter should be confined to PMs. Please do not derail the thread.
    Thanks.
  • Without any kind of internal/external worldly abandonment-I'd say impossible.