Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

small/great vehicle & zen

taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
edited May 2011 in Arts & Writings
From the book entitled, "The Compass of Zen." Words by Zen Master Seung Sahn.
This is for those who want to get a feel for the differences between each Buddhist school.

So each the three main Buddhist traditions just uses different techniques to approach the same experience. Let’s say you don’t understand a watermelon. You never ate watermelon before. If you asked a Hinayana Buddhist to teach you what a watermelon is, you would be hold that a watermelon starts from a seed, this little black seed that is planted in the ground. And then it sprouts, and becomes a little plant. Soon a vine appears on the vine, and then from the flowers a fruit stars to grow. And it gets bigger and bigger and bigger, until it turns into large, roundish fruit. Then perhaps someone eats it, or it rots and the seeds go back into the ground. And the whole cycle starts over again: seed, sprout, vine, blossom, fruit; seed, sprout, vine, bud, blossom, fruit; seed, sprout, vine, bud, blossom, fruit. It is constantly going around and around. Another name for this is the Twelve Link of Dependent Origination. A watermelon seed, and then the fruit, and the seed, and the fruit --- around and around and around, nonstop. This kind of teaching is primary concerned with a consideration of time, or with something changing over time.

Mahayana Buddhism, though, is not about time. We can say that Mahayana Buddhism is primary concerned with space, or “from.” So if you are asking a Mahayana Buddhist about a watermelon, then maybe they would say, “Well, a watermelon has green skin, with bands of dark and light green color wrapping around it. It can be fairly heavy. If you’re in the West, a watermelon looks like a long, stretched-out football; if you’re in Korea, it’s shaped like a soccer ball. Watermelons are hard on the outside and soft on the inside. The watermelon is red on inside, if it’s ripe, and it also has these little black seeds. The red part of the watermelon is sweet, but the white part isn’t so sweet, and the green part is somewhat sour-tasting.” A Mahayana view is concerned with the form is, what the truth of watermelon is A Mahayana Buddhist may also explain how all these characteristics --- the color, weight, taste, and form --- are all ultimately empty.

Zen has a very simple and direct teaching style. Zen means that if you want to understand what a watermelon is, you take a watermelon, get a knife, and cut the watermelon. Then you put a slice into your mouth --- boom! Your experience! Words and speech and books and learning cannot deliver this point. Even if you read one hundreds about watermelons, and hear one hundred lectures, they cannot teach as well as one single bite. “What is a watermelon? Boom! --- “Ahhh! That’s a watermelon!” Then you attain watermelon, and this attainment is forever. This is why Zen teaching is described as “Not dependent on words and speech, a special transmission outside the Sutras, pointing directly to mind; see your true nature, become Buddha.” Understanding a watermelon doesn’t need words and speech --- even a child understands this! This is the manner of Zen teaching.

Comments

• FenixFenix Veteran
    a master of every major tradition is transferred to an alternative reality where wisdom is transformed into fighting skills and compassion is turned into blood lust. who wins?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    no one can defeat the master who wants neither winning or losing. there is only victory for such person.
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    There's different kinds of melons and watermelons. For someone who doesn't know what a watermelon is they could be biting on to a cucumber and think its a watermelon. Sometimes people need "words and speech and books", and of course it falls down to practice. But that's why everyone is not in robes. It's because they are not monks and they can't spend their entire day in meditation.

regards
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Words and speech and books and learning cannot deliver this point."

Which is why Zen koans sound crazy, but, they're actually not. :)
    But that's why everyone is not in robes. It's because they are not monks and they can't spend their entire day in meditation.

regards
    Someone, a normal layperson student, once asked the Zen Master "How often should we practice? Once or twice a day, etc." He said "24 hours a day, 7 days a week". :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    no one can defeat the master who wants neither winning or losing. there is only victory for such person.
    Well said.

I've always admired Zen, whether Soto or Rinzai, for being very direct. There's not a lot of foolishness in Zen, and if there is... expect to get hit with a stick! ;)

The Thai Forest tradition is also very pragmatic, and places much more emphasis in practice than on written teachings yada yada.
  • I practice Zen, so my view may be biased, but anyway. I've been talking to many Buddhists from different traditions and only in Zen I've seen this attitude that our very life, every moment, whether you're meditating or taking a shower is nothing but practice. Somehow students of other traditions view them separately. Am I wrong in this conclusion? Is there such a difference in attitudes towards what is practice and what is not practice?
  • I practice Zen, so my view may be biased, but anyway. I've been talking to many Buddhists from different traditions and only in Zen I've seen this attitude that our very life, every moment, whether you're meditating or taking a shower is nothing but practice. Somehow students of other traditions view them separately. Am I wrong in this conclusion? Is there such a difference in attitudes towards what is practice and what is not practice?
    I think you are incorrect there. Ive read a couple of books on Theravada and they did say that practice doesnt end at the cushion.

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq_ougaikU
  • But that's why everyone is not in robes. It's because they are not monks and they can't spend their entire day in meditation.
    I am sure all the traditions have the same amount of practicing philosophy.."Always, all the time". My statement above is for those that dont have a clue and want to at least have an idea. They will need to pick up a book or pick something up somewhere. We should not eradicate all the books just because we think its better to jump into something blindfolded.

with metta
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited May 2011
    My statement above is for those that dont have a clue and want to at least have an idea. They will need to pick up a book or pick something up somewhere. We should not eradicate all the books just because we think its better to jump into something blindfolded.

with metta
    Maybe one way to put it is this:

When we are caught in words and concepts, it takes words and concepts to make the first cracks in the shell.
    But for the chicken to break free, the shell of words and concepts has to fall apart completely.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2011
    we hope that the means and the processes self destruct as we come closer to our original face.

words bring interest, we then experience the words ourselves. the words are dropped and now we embody that knowledge.

meditation brings deep insight and peace. meditation is dropped and we bring meditation throughout our whole human experience.

then we use words to point to truth. to bring interest in those who need words.
    then we use meditation to bring insight and peace. we learn how meditation can function in our daily lives.

all things if practiced correctly should destroy themselves. meaning they become natural just like the water we drink when we are thirsty.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Zen means that if you want to understand what a watermelon is, you take a watermelon, get a knife, and cut the watermelon. Then you put a slice into your mouth --- boom! Your experience! Words and speech and books and learning cannot deliver this point. Even if you read one hundreds about watermelons, and hear one hundred lectures, they cannot teach as well as one single bite. “What is a watermelon? Boom! --- “Ahhh! That’s a watermelon!”
    How does this help a human being to remedy and/or end suffering?

What is the role/purpose of experiencing the senses/sense objects in practice?

:confused:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Zen means that if you want to understand what a watermelon is, you take a watermelon, get a knife, and cut the watermelon. Then you put a slice into your mouth --- boom! Your experience! Words and speech and books and learning cannot deliver this point. Even if you read one hundreds about watermelons, and hear one hundred lectures, they cannot teach as well as one single bite. “What is a watermelon? Boom! --- “Ahhh! That’s a watermelon!”

i'll play the game.

who is it that needs remedy or an end to suffering? where is this person?
    where is this suffering located?

don't make suffering or no suffering, what do you have?

when you just see, here, taste, touch, and smell you are just perceiving.
    when you are just perceiving things as they are without thinking isn't that the dharma?

what is suffering if we don't label it? is it suffering?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

That's a very good question for all of us. How does your practice help end suffering? Forget just Zen. Bowing, chanting, meditation, koan work or sutra study; how does any of this end suffering?

In this case, knowing the difference between reality and illusion is learning to experience the world with a clear mind. When you look at a situation with a clear mind, only then does your response become clear: Help all Beings.

How would you answer the question?
    edited May 2011
    @taiyaki

what game?

what you have posted is just mixed up Zen babble

is what you have posted related to what SS said?

your post sounds like a Advaita Satsang robot

"who I am?" oh dear

:eek2:
  • In this case, knowing the difference between reality and illusion is learning to experience the world with a clear mind.
    I am asking, how does the following help end suffering?

“What is a watermelon? Boom! --- “Ahhh! That’s a watermelon!” Then you attain watermelon, and this attainment is forever.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2011
    lol zen speak is essentially non-dual.

you know what non-duality is. these words cannot be truth. they are pointing to something.
    everything is empty. so is suffering.

either you take the questions seriously or i am not playing "your game".

where does suffering come from? where is this suffering? where is this person that is suffering?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @taiyaki

what game?

what you have posted is just mixed up Zen babble

is what you have posted related to what SS said?

your post sounds like a Advaita Satsang robot

"who I am?" oh dear

:eek2:
    isn't that the most important question?
    edited May 2011
    the Buddha never asked the question "who"?

the question "who am I?" is, for the most part, a meaningless question
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    where you there when the original buddha existed?
  • when you just see, here, taste, touch, and smell you are just perceiving. when you are just perceiving things as they are without thinking isn't that the dharma?
    sure, there may be some dharma there

but SS did not transmit to me what you have sought to transmit above

edited May 2011
    you are not a buddha. buddha mind is not the same as your mind. your spiritual experiences are not those of a buddha.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    you are not a buddha. buddha mind is not the same as your mind. your spiritual experiences are not those of a buddha.

i never asserted i was a buddha. but your assertions can be pointing straight back to you.

how do you know what the buddha said? how can you be so sure?

i will admit that i do not know what the buddha said. you seem pretty sure you know what the buddha said.

how so?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran

the question "who am I?" is, for the most part, a meaningless question
    why is it a meaningless question?
    edited May 2011
    where does suffering come from? where is this suffering? where is this person that is suffering?
    these questions are not related to what SS said

for example, these questions are very Theravadin

your line of inquiry shows what SS said was mere subjective non-sense

SS misrepresented the other schools and was appealing to the ignorant & sensual inclinations of those he was trying to catch

did SS himself have issues with a personal lust for sensual pleasures?

edited May 2011
    you yourself rendered the question meaningless by asking the question:

"where does suffering come from?"

:)

the question "where does suffering come from?" is not the same as the question "who am I?"
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    these questions are not related to what SS said

for example, these questions are very Theravadin

your line of inquiry shows what SS said was mere subjective non-sense

SS misrepresented the other schools and was appealing to the ignorant & sensual inclinations of those he was trying to catch

did SS himself have issues with a personal lust for sensual pleasures?

You asked the question:

So I answered with questions. THESE ARE MY QUESTIONS not Seung Sahns. Where does suffering come from? Where is this suffering? Where is this persons that is suffering? Taiyaki questions not SS.

I don't care what SS did, I am only interested in what he pointed to.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    you yourself rendered the question meaningless by asking the question:

"where does suffering come from?"

the question "where does suffering come from?" is not the same as the question "who am I?"
    answer please?
  • how do you know what the buddha said? how can you be so sure?
    if we cannot even define a basic mental capacity such as 'mindfulness', this shows deficient insight into the workings of one's mind

if that is the case, are repudiation of the recorded teachings of the Buddha are just moot

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    DD what is the difference between a buddha and a normal human being?
    edited May 2011
    answer please?
    i answered you

if I ask the question: "who am I?", my answer will sound like Tick Ngat Harn, that is, "I am the son of my mother, father; student of my teachers; etc" or INTER-BEING

but "where does suffering come from?" the answer is ignorance, wanting, attachment, becoming, etc

when a doctor seeks to cure a problem, they do not ask the question: "Who am I?", "who is he?". instead they ask: "what is the cause of the disease?"

as I said, the question "who am I?" is meaningless and that Ramana Maharishi taught this as an object of meditation does not change my opinion

• DD what is the difference between a buddha and a normal human being?
    the difference is incomparable

that you probably disagree with my answer shows your mind is not Buddha

:sawed:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    where does ignorance arise from?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    DD what is the difference between a buddha and a normal human being?
    the difference is incomparable

that you probably disagree with my answer shows your mind is not Buddha

:sawed:
    you're absolutely right. i am just a normal human being.

where is this buddha you speak of?
    edited May 2011
    buddha is wisdom

are you saying normal human beings have wisdom, like a buddha, so they dwell in peace 100% of the time, causing no harm & damage to other things, etc?

are you saying Hitler was a Buddha?

please do not reply with babble about "buddha nature"

thanks
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    answer please?
    i answered you

if I ask the question: "who am I?", my answer will sound like Tick Ngat Harn, that is, "I am the son of my mother, father; student of my teachers; etc" or INTER-BEING

but "where does suffering come from?" the answer is ignorance, wanting, attachment, becoming, etc

when a doctor seeks to cure a problem, they do not ask the question: "Who am I?", "who is he?". instead they ask: "what is the cause of the disease?"

as I said, the question "who am I?" is meaningless and that Ramana Maharishi taught this as an object of meditation does not change my opinion

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    buddha is wisdom

are you saying normal human beings have wisdom, like a buddha, so they dwell in peace 100% of the time, causing no harm & damage to other things, etc?

are you saying Hitler was a Buddha?

please do not reply with babble about "buddha nature"

thanks
    buddha nature!
    edited May 2011
    ignorance is not understanding things as they truly are

ignorance arises from not knowing

not knowing arises from ignorance

ignorance is dispelled by insight

• buddha nature!
    this is just superstition

now, there are human beings on this earth engaging in both planning and doing killing, stealing, raping, war making, etc

yet you believe these beings are buddhas

:buck:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    buddha nature!
    this is just superstition

now, there are human beings on this earth engaging in both planning and doing killing, stealing, raping, war making, etc

yet you believe these beings are buddhas

i don't believe in anything. i am just throwing words around.
    as soon as i talk i am not speaking truth.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    ignorance is not understanding things as they truly are

ignorance arises from not knowing

not knowing arises from ignorance

ignorance is dispelled by insight

i agree lol.
    edited May 2011
    i don't believe in anything. i am just throwing words around. as soon as i talk i am not speaking truth.
    more superstition

your mind believes it is "just throwing words around"

your mind believes silence is truth

time for me to go

until next we talk, good friend

• i agree lol.
    :mullet:

The watermelon is not sense objects, the watermelon is enlightenment.

• i doubt it

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    i don't believe in anything. i am just throwing words around. as soon as i talk i am not speaking truth.
    more superstition

your mind believes it is "just throwing words around"

your mind believes silence is truth

time for me to go

until next we talk, good friend

An eminent Zen master said, “Even mentioning Buddha is like dumping
    dung on your head.” This is the same point. True substance, your true nature, and
    truth are already beyond speech and words. So, a long time ago, an eminent teacher
    said, “The true form has no words. Truth is unmoving.” If you opening your mouth,
    you rely on speech and words and language, and so you have already lost the truth.
    Words and speech cannot describe this point. Speech and words cannot show your
    true nature. So we often say, “Silence is better than holiness.” That is a very
    important point.

we come from different traditions, thus we are conditioned differently.
    i am talking about letting all that conditioning go for a moment and see what is left.
    i don't believe in anything. i just watch what is moment to moment. that is my practice that is my liberation.

always fun to play!
    i doubt it

Yes you are correct almighty Dhamma Dhatu. Will you please allow me to bow in your royal holy presence and pass onto me your infinite knowledge? I would be most grateful.

:D
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran

The watermelon is not sense objects, the watermelon is enlightenment.

i agree that watermelon is a direct realization of ones true nature. or in other traditions the realization of emptiness.
    though our intellectual means and maps point the way. insight is what brings us to liberation. holding onto views or words cannot bring liberation. one must directly touch and experience the watermelon.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Dhamma, you haven't answered the question. How does your practice eliminate suffering? All you've done so far is let us know you hve no interest in Zen practice, and we already know that.

Don't you have an answer to the question?
    edited May 2011
    An eminent Zen master said!...
    Guru worship, more blind faith
    “Even mentioning Buddha is like dumping dung on your head.”
    Whilst i do not necessarily agree, it is not me that is ranting on about "buddha nature"
    True substance, your true nature, and truth are already beyond speech and words.
    No it is not.
    So, a long time ago, an eminent teacher said.
    Guru worship, more blind faith

An eminent master once said even mentioning "masters", "teachers", "gurus", etc, is like dumping dung on your head.

An eminent master also once said the Buddha can be seen in dog dung

There is more truth to be found in dog dung than in the zombie spaced out mind
    “The true form has no words. Truth is unmoving.”
    Oh dear, now the teaching of unmoving permanence, oh dear...hello Brahman

:-/
    If you opening your mouth, you rely on speech and words and language, and so you have already lost the truth.
    Non-sense. This is a mind stuck in non-being. The Buddha instructed to transcend both being & non-being. Even the Hsing Ming Ming advises as such but, because you do not understand the Hsing Ming Ming, you do not understand Buddhism.

All things without exception are empty of self, including speech & words.
    Speech and words cannot show your true nature [i.e., what is true].
    True. But no speech and no words is not the true nature.
    So we often say, “Silence is better than holiness.” That is a very important point..
    I would say whoever said this is struggling to keep their mouth shut. It is just another opinion or belief.
    we come from different traditions, thus we are conditioned differently...
    That your mind is "conditioned" as you have said is certainly true and certainly an understatement.
    i am talking about letting all that conditioning go for a moment and see what is left.
    what is left is silence, space, bright consciousness...but this is not the truth!
    that is my practice that is my liberation...
    it is a form of liberation but not the Buddha's 100% liberation

how can your mind be be liberated when words & speech are considered "disfunctional" by you?

how can your mind be be liberated when you refer to "my" liberation and "your" true nature, over & over & over again?

:wow: