Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

After the 4 noble truths and 8 fold path. What are the main practices as a ZEN LAY BUDDHIST?

2»

Comments

• I think this comes down to "experience, reason and see if the path is correct".

Zen may not be for everyone, as being a Thai Forest monk may not be for everyone. All the traditions of Buddhism reflect many points of view to the same thing-Englightenment, Nirvana and reconnecting with the Buddha within. If you feel one tradition is not for you..move on and find the one that does.

Many paths to the destination and not one is better than the other.
  • edited May 2011
    The main practice is to meet this life with the insight unfolded in zazen. To open the hand of thought and let go of the idea that reality could be anything other than it is. To treat every moment as an infant of infinite possibility and to love life.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    @Shutoku
    Do you have some books you would recommend by Thay? I am reading "Understanding the Mind" right now and its a little dry.
    Most of them are good, but in regards to every day life, I very much enjoy "Peace is Every Step"
  • it only reflects =]
    it realises

a mirror reflects but a mirror does not 'realise'

:wow:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    true dat brotha!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2011
    it only reflects =]
    it realises

a mirror reflects but a mirror does not 'realise'

:wow:
    Who is doing the realizing? What is left after this realization has taken place? The Buddha did say that upon actually realizing the truth, there is no more "I, my, me making" yes? If there is no more "I, my, me" making, then who gets this realization?