Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation: Eyes Wide Shut?

edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I've read recently that Buddhist meditation is done with the eyes open, and a sort of soft focus in front of you. However, in my previous experience with meditation--particularly guided meditations written up in books or on CDs, you're encouraged to close your eyes. So my habit in meditation is to work with the eyes closed, and I've noticed that it's very distracting for me to try and keep them open. Is there any particular advantage to keeping the eyes open, or reasons they should not be closed? Has anyone tried both ways? Is it more simply a matter of what you are used to or what you were taught? Also, has anyone tried eyes-open meditation whilst focusing on an object in front of you--such as a candle flame, a mandala, or a special religious or personal symbol? Any special experiences working this way?

Lots of questions, I know, but it should give us a bit to discuss! :D Cheers!

Comments

• edited January 2006
    The advantage of keeping the eyes open is that one isn't spacing out, nor trying to tune out one's environment. Buddhist meditation is about being fully present with things as they are, for which reason keeping the eyes half open but unfocussed is very helpful. That being said, some teachers will ask that you close your eyes and if you are practicing with others, it's helpful to do what they do. If you're practicing alone, I'd recommend trying for to keep the eyes open but close them for a little while now and then if you become more concerned about your eyes than keeping your attention with your breathing and posture. I also wouldn't recommend using a mantra or a candle flame initially but working with breathing. This link may be of use:

Meditation - The Seat of Enlightenment
  • edited January 2006
    A little help please...

when i meditate i mostly focus on breathing, but by doing so i block out the world around me.

sometimes i try to focus on things around me - the sound of rain is good for me - but there are so many noises around that i end up trying to focus on all of them and thus divide my attention.

then other times i try to focus on ny breathing and bodily sensations and the environment - and that's just plain silly, my brain doesn't like it.

Zenmonk, when you say meditation is 'being fully present with things as they are', do you mean bodily sensations, the environment, or both, or even one at a time...

appreciate any help, i get easily confused with stuff like this - apparently i think too much
  • edited January 2006
    It's not uncommon for a while to focus on the breath and sort of tune out what's going on around one. What I'd suggest is to view the breath as the context of your meditation as it were, so that there's space to be aware of sounds, of how the body is, of the space around you. Does that make sense? Sometimes it's also good, as you already do, not to try to meditate deliberately, but simply to sit as still as possible and just listen. But this just listening isn't trying to focus on sound, it's simply noticing when a sound comes up into your field of awareness. Listening, working with breathing in the same way - allowing it to come up into one's field of consciousness, doing the same with thoughts and bodily sensations, leads quite naturally into 'Just Sitting', Dzogchen or Shikantaza. It's a natural progression. This is actually a quite subtle point that you're asking about here and it's difficult to communicate, so I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear. These may be of use:

The Pools

The Experience of Sitting
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I find that it's easier for me, at this point, to meditate with my eyes shut. It removes just one more sensory input device.

I try to focus on what the nose is doing - and that's hard enough sometimes.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I also think, initially, the type of personlity you are can affect or influence the method of meditation you use...
    Note please, that I do say, 'initially'....

Some people respond very well to mental imagery and visualisation, whereas others take to a sound, like a Mantra, or music, as an accompaniment or aid....
    perhaps you are more tactile, and therefore concentration on how the breath feels against the skin, and concentration on the subtle sensation of clothing against the skin, how the floor feels beneath your body, is a preferable method...

After a while, when you find you are comfortable with your chosen method, and you feel you have advanced in your progress, you can try more conventional methods and the ways described by others here....
    personally, I find music helps, or Reciting a Mantra....
    Even though I am quite artistic and visually oriented, sound works best for me...
    so don't go for the method you presume would work best for you....
    experiment..... :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Pandora,
    I have done both ways. I initially learned meditation through an online course and that teacher asked you to keep your eyes closed. I did so and got attached to it. Then last year I finally was able to go to an in person meditation class. This teacher suggested that we keep our eyes slightly open and lightly focused.
    Now, I have a lazy eye. So basically, I'm only seeing out of one eye most of the meditation. It took a while to get used to. But now I can do it both ways. It does take a little trial and error to find out what works. But it is well worth it.
  • edited January 2006
    I don't know if I should butt in here because my meditation isn't officially "Buddhist" but for me it depends on where I am. If I am out in the open I keep my eyes open and if I am in a crowded place I close them. Always have done - I find other people off-putting and when meditating "in the circle" to raise energy, have always had to close my eyes.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    My eyes are the most annoying part of the body while meditating. Without trying to control them, they move around, focus, de-focus, go cross-eyed. But mostly they seem to become the last sensory input to "let go".

My technique is to relax overall, and just let the eyes do as they please without forcing it. Eventually they settle in to a state where I observe them as if disconnected from them. They are vary from the lids almost closed to half-open and focused in the distance as if looking at a far away object.

At this point I am not conciously controlling my eyes, and just kind of "watch" them.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    The way I was taught in both Zen and Tibetan Buddhism is to meditate with your eyes open. That doesn't necessarily mean wide open and staring, but open somewhat. Find a place a few feet in front of you and just look there without focusing particularly. If your mind is racing too much, then lower your gaze a little. If it's drowsy, raise your gaze a little. Otherwise just treat "seeing" like "thinking" and don't get attached to it. It's just there, another thought to let go of. I remember when I was first learning to meditate in a small Zen group in Chicago. After long meditation sessions, I found I was able to see with my whole eye while driving home along Lake Shore Drive rather than just having the awareness of my focus point. That was quite astounding to me at the time and even mind blowing.

As my teacher says, if you keep your eyes closed while meditating, you'll be disappointed when you open them. To me that means you'll essentially be dreaming if you have your eyes closed and not connecting the dots that reality is just as illusory as a dream. But what do I know?

Palzang
  • edited January 2006
    Very well put Palzang. Thank you.
  • edited January 2006
    Hello all,
    My meditation practise has varied. I used to both as a lay Buddhist and a monk, sit in front of a Buddha statute and repeat "pali prayers".
    Though now I sorta try and meditate in what I am doing moment to moment, like when I'm out wipper-snippering the garden and paddocks. I do this so I don't actually kill any creatures....frogs, snakes, and the blasted flies!!!!!!! Though I have realised that I am actually killing all the small insects I can't see....!@#$%...I do appologise to them, really!!!!
    So rather than trying to "tune out", I'm actually trying to "tune in"??????

Don't really know if you could call this meditation, I just thought I would do it this way. My parents tend to freak out when they catch me in front of my temple.....:bawling:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Very well put Palzang. Thank you.

You mean the "but what do I know?" part? :smilec:

Palzang
  • edited January 2006
    LOL no I mean the, this is how it is sometimes part.
  • edited January 2006
    Esau, as a matter of interest, were you not taught to do either mindfulness of breathing or Vipassana practice?
  • edited January 2006
    Hey Zenmonk,
    Yep, should have included these. I know some traditions and meditation masters have talked about "walking" meditations. I guess in a sense I was just trying to compare what I do to sorta this??????
    When people (around here) ask me about meditation they always have the idea that its something only "masters" do, you have to be asian, and it has to be done with a mantra, ie Hum mani padme om. I try to let them know this is not the case, that its for anyone and it has to do with clearing the mind, letting go of the "mental" clutter. ie "monkey mind".
    Once again thanks for reminding me!!!
  • edited January 2006
    I find that if I begin my meditation by reciting a mantra and then stop chanting, gradually and quietly, I am then able to silently slip into the most sublime meditation experience. My breathing steadies and my racing mind just rides the wave of the gentle breathing.

I admit, I believe I am cheating. I read about breathing meditations and think I will never gain the full Buddhist benefit of meditation if I continue with my own little 2-step formula. Maybe I am being naive, but it certainly feels that way.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    If it works for you right now, what's the problem with that. I used to do a mix of "mindfulness of breathing" and the "metta bhavana". It worked just fine. I've mixed chanting with MOB and had no problem with it. The problem comes in when you look for a specific experience to repeat itself. Then you set yourself up for disappointment. There are days that my daily meditation is wonderful. Yesterday before I went to work, I meditated as I normally do and it was just normal. But I put the time in on the mat and did the best that I could. That's what counts.
  • edited January 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    The problem comes in when you look for a specific experience to repeat itself. Then you set yourself up for disappointment.

Very good point. As Esau alluded to too, meditation isn't just for those who are masters, or who are naturally able to sit completely still and don't have racing minds. If it were, nobody would be able to do it, including the masters. We all start out with racing minds, with discomforts of one sort or another and with the task of learning to deal with the resistance of mind and body to sitting still and being silent. This silence and stillness though come through letting thoughts come up and letting them go, not dwelling on them and not pushing them away. One is present with things as they are. One opens to things as they are, including our monkey minds and including our bodies, that in the beginning want to constantly move and fidget. Then there is the emptiness that isn't emptiness. Or as Peter Matthiessen puts it so well,

"One opens to this emptiness, to the great stillness of our true nature, which is also the foundation of the universe. Then pure tears fall in utter relief at finding the way home."

- Peter Matthiessen - Nine Headed Dragon River - Zen Journals 1969-1982
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "One opens to this emptiness, to the great stillness of our true nature, which is also the foundation of the universe. Then pure tears fall in utter relief at finding the way home."

O.K. This has got to be the most beautiful and comforting thing I've ever read.

I've been avoiding meditation because I don't have a teacher. All I've been doing is sitting quietly and thinking about all beings and developing lovingkindness for them and me. I do this a lot when I'm watching T.V. as well. And when I'm making tea throughout the day I concentrate on the pouring and placing the tea pot down on the counter gently and I'm thinking about how the pot meets the counter and the colours of the tea and the consistency and colour of the honey etc. etc. I'm just doing that in order to fully enjoy the experience. Does that have anything to do with meditation? It's mindful. Does that count? I do the same with all the other daily tasks. Why is it so hard for me to understand the nature of meditation? And why am I so resistent to sitting meditation? Is it just plain old fear? Not having a formal teacher? If troubling thoughts come up do I embrace them and then let them go? Or is embracing too much? Can I really do this on my own without formal training? I'll read the links on meditation that I've taken from here. Shall I just go ahead? Could I ASK more questions? (Chandler tone form "Friends")

I've been grappling with the concept of emptiness for a while now. Usually I feel like I just can't grasp it (NO pun intended) and then I leave it for another day. O.K. So, our true nature is empty and still, like the nature of the universe. I can barely grasp this on an intellectual level. But I do understand that it's meditation that helps us understand this on the experiential level. I was just about to ask (again) the question "Shall I just go ahead?" and I heard all of you in my head shout "YES" in unison. LOL. I'm really resisting sitting practice. I don't know if I'm resisting for a good reason or not.
    Does anyone have any (easy to understand) thoughts on this? I'm ambivalent. Can you tell? LOL.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    It sounds, to me, as if you're wrestling with yourself... as if you are divided, "for" and "against"... so I will tell you what has worked for me, on many matters, and what I suggested another forum member do when they were faced with a dilemma...

Let us, for example, say that this is what you're thinking...(If I understand you correctly...)

"I should practise sitting meditation, but...."
    The word 'should' is the problem here. 'Should' implies self-castigation, or blame... it heaps guilt onto your shoulders and makes you subconsciously feel bad about not doing whatever-it-is-you're-not-doing....and rarely can you come up with the bit after 'but.....'

So:

Change the "should" into a "could"....

"I 'COULD' practise sitting meditation, but......"

You'll find it much easier to see the reason in clear light. And then work on that....

Don't be so hard on yourself.
    I have been a Buddhist (labels, descriptions attachments - I know.... whole new discussion, but for arguments' sake...!!) for around five years now. I have only recently started devoting a proper, allotted time to meditation. But I'm not beating up on myself about it!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "I should practise sitting meditation, but...."
    The word 'should' is the problem here. 'Should' implies self-castigation, or blame... it heaps guilt onto your shoulders and makes you subconsciously feel bad about not doing whatever-it-is-you're-not-doing....and rarely can you come up with the bit after 'but.....'
    "It sounds, to me, as if you're wrestling with yourself... as if you are divided, "for" and "against"...

Fede,
    That's exactly how I feel.
    "Could" is a MUCH better word. I felt relief just reading it.
    O.K. I'll take your wise counsel and go from here.
    You've helped me immensely.
    Thank you, Fede!

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited January 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Why is it so hard for me to understand the nature of meditation? And why am I so resistent to sitting meditation? Is it just plain old fear? Not having a formal teacher? If troubling thoughts come up do I embrace them and then let them go? Or is embracing too much? Can I really do this on my own without formal training? I'll read the links on meditation that I've taken from here. Shall I just go ahead? Could I ASK more questions? (Chandler tone form "Friends")

I've been grappling with the concept of emptiness for a while now. Usually I feel like I just can't grasp it (NO pun intended) and then I leave it for another day. O.K. So, our true nature is empty and still, like the nature of the universe. I can barely grasp this on an intellectual level. But I do understand that it's meditation that helps us understand this on the experiential level. I was just about to ask (again) the question "Shall I just go ahead?" and I heard all of you in my head shout "YES" in unison. LOL. I'm really resisting sitting practice. I don't know if I'm resisting for a good reason or not.
    Does anyone have any (easy to understand) thoughts on this? I'm ambivalent. Can you tell? LOL.

Federica is right about that should, 'should' is an inner tryrant. As to your questions - there is no end to these questions. Let them settle. What you can do is sit still in whatever position your body can manage, become aware of your breathing, if thoughts come, let them come, but don't 'think', if they go, let them go, but don't try not to think. If sounds come, hear them, if sensations come, feel them, then let your awareness be with your breath again, sit as still as you can without being rigid. If you sit, sit. If you don't sit, don't sit. That's all. Since you liked the excerpt from Peter Matthiessen, here is something that might also strike a spark for you:

"Soon the child's clear eye is clouded over by ideas and opinions, preconceptions and abstractions. Simple free being becomes encrusted witht he burdensome armor of the ego. Not until years later does an instinct come that a vital sense of mystery has been withdrawn. The sun glints through the pines, and the heart is peirced in a moment of beauty and strange pain, like a memory of paradise.

After that day, at the bottom of each breath, there is a hollow place that is filled with longing. We become seekers without knowing that we seek, and at first, we long for something "greater" than ourselves, something far apart and far away. It is not a return to childhood, for childhood is not a truly enlightened state. Yet to seek one's own true nature is, as one Zen master has said, "a way to lead you to your long lost home."

To practice Zen means to realize one's existence moment after moment, rather than letting life unravel in regret of the past and daydreaming of the future. To "rest in the present" is a state of magical simplicity, although attainment of this state is not as simple as it sounds. At the very least, sitting Zen practice, called Zazen, will bring about a strong sense of wellbeing, as the clutter of ideas and emotions falls away and body and mind return to natural harmony with all creation. Out of this emptiness can come a true insight into the nature of existence, which is no different from one's Buddha Nature."

- Peter Matthiessen, Nine Headed Dragon River

And:

“When you sit, don’t expect to be noble. When we sit with what is, even for a few minutes, then this presence that we are is like a mirror. We see everything. We see what we are: our efforts to look good, to be first, or to be last. We see our anger, our anxiety, our pomposity, our so-called spirituality. Real spirituality is just being with all that. If we can really be with who we are, Transformation occurs.”

- Charlotte Joko Beck
  • edited January 2006
    Regarding teachers, I would say that teachers simply stop you getting stuck, they cannot give you anything, except a reflection of your own complete humanity. They're an empty mirror. Sooner or later you'll meet a teacher who can reflect your own humanity by being just who they are, someone who at times you will be bored by, irritated by and inspired by, and you'll have a fair intuition when that happens:

A disciple was getting ready to help his Master get ready to deliver a lecture. His friend asked, “What is it about what the Master says that makes you go to so many of his talks?” The disciple responded, “I don't go to hear the Master talk. I go to watch him tie his shoes.

- Ram Dass, 'Journey of Awakening : A Meditator's Guidebook'

Huangbo’s “Gobblers of Dregs”

Hekigan Roku - Blue Cliff Record, Case Number 11

The Main Case

Huangbo, instructing the community said, “All of you people are gobblers of dregs. If you go on traveling around this way where will you have today? Do you know that there are no teachers of Chan in all of China?”At that time a monastic came forward and said, “Then what about those in various places who order followers and lead communities?”Huangbo said, “I do not say that there is no Chan, it’s just that there are no teachers.”

The Verse

His cold, severe solitary mien does not take pride in itself.
    Solemnly dwelling in the sea of the world, he distinguishes dragons and snakes.
    Dazhong (Ta -chung) the Son of Heaven has been lightly handled.
    Three times he personally felt those claws and fangs at work.

So, are you a dragon or a snake?
  • edited January 2006
    And last but not least, while I'm being so verbose:

The zazen I speak of is not learning meditation... It is the manifestation of ultimate reality... Once its heart is grasped, you are like the dragon when he gains the water, like the tiger when he enters the mountain. Forms and substance are like the dew on the grass, destiny like the dart of lightning - emptied in an instant, vanished in a flash.

Why leave behind the seat that exists in your own home and go aimlessly off to the dusty realms of other lands?... Do not be suspicious of the true dragon. Devote your energies to a way that directly indicates the absolute and gain accord with the enlightenment of the Buddhas.

- A Universal Recommendation for Zazen - Ehei Dogen, as quoted in Nine Headed Dragon River.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I'm starting to understand. I'm not going to dwell on the intellectual understanding any more than is necessary. I'm going to experience it by sitting.

"Federica is right about that should, 'should' is an inner tryrant manipulating you. As to your questions - there is no end to these questions. Let them settle. What you can do is sit still in whatever position your body can manage, become aware of your breathing, if thoughts come, let them come, but don't 'think', if they go, let them go, but don't try not to think. If sounds come, hear them, if sensations come, feel them, then let your awareness be with your breath again, sit as still as you can without being rigid. If you sit, sit. If you don't sit, don't sit. That's all."

This clarifies everything. I understand this and it's inspiring me to sit.

The Peter Mathiessen excerpt is extremely clear and he's put it in a way that I can understand and actually use. I'm simply putting too much pressure and suspicion on myself and over thinking the whole thing. And questioning my innate ability to find my way back home. Putting up my own barriers. An ingrained habit. A neurotic habit. I see that now.

"After that day, at the bottom of each breath, there is a hollow place that is filled with longing. We become seekers without knowing that we seek, and at first, we long for something "greater" than ourselves, something far apart and far away. It is not a return to childhood, for childhood is not a truly enlightened state. Yet to seek one's own true nature is, as one Zen master has said, "a way to lead you to your long lost home."

This passage really resonates. It makes me feel like I've always known this, but it was stuck in the back of my mind, behind all the clutter. It's a moment of pure understanding and awareness and it got through and brought it to the front of my mind where I can put it into practice. I imagine that when I start to sit on a regular basis the experiential understanding will solidify and transform from the intellectual understanding. Is this what we are trying to engrave upon our mindstream? So that it carries over to our next birth? It's about clear, mindful thought in a state of awareness and acceptance in order to acknowledge and then let go of the clutter so that we can allow true nature to take over and bring us back home to our original state of emptiness, to our Original Face. Is that how it is?

I'm starting to realize that having a specific teacher is not necessary at this stage. I think maybe you are my teachers at this time. I don't think I could have come up with this clear understanding if you hadn't put it so simply. I'm feeling confidence in my ability to practice this alone. It's both simple and complex at the same time. I just need to let go, allow my muscles and mind to relax, and jump.

The Verse

"His cold, severe solitary mien does not take pride in itself.
    Solemnly dwelling in the sea of the world, he distinguishes dragons and snakes.
    Dazhong (Ta -chung) the Son of Heaven has been lightly handled.
    Three times he personally felt those claws and fangs at work."

"So, are you a dragon or a snake?"

I don't know. I think maybe I'm the dragon gaining the water and losing my suspicion of my true nature, after reading your posts.

O.K. I'm ready.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    I'll keep you updated on my progress and my lack of progress, too. In case I get stuck. I think I have enough resources now to help me through. I'll get started.

P.S. This is more than I could have hoped for.

In gratitude,
    Brigid.
  • edited January 2006
    You ARE braver than me Brigid. I feel the same (but was too chicken to say so) and am devouring this thread like a woman on a diet faced with Fudge Cake.

I can't sit properly due to a back problem - I have to sit in a chair, stand, walk or lie down.

Enormous and humble thanks to all for this lesson.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    This really was a good thread, wasn't it? There is so much wise information here it's astounding. And I'm not brave. I just have no shame. LOL.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2006
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Brigid and Knitwitch,
    As one who also has physical problems, sitting in a chair works wonderfully. Just make sure to sit up straight so that the diaphragm muscle can move freely. That way you are able to take a breath unrestricted.
    I don't know if this is a problem or not, but one thing that I really struggled with is "I will meditate for such and such a time today". Then I would struggle to sit for half of that time and get discouraged. There are differing opinions on what works best. Some say 20 minutes twice a day, some say in the morning. Find out what works for you. I have a personal goal for my practice and if I make it fine. The bigger point is it quality. If all you can do is 10 minutes of quality meditation, it is better than 45 of the monkey mind going wild. Yes, I've had those times too. I've even learned to look at those as positive experiences as I am trying.
    Just keep trying and let us know how it comes. I personally love to meditate and love to hear others experiences. So if you want to share, I want to hear!
  • edited January 2006
    Thank you, everyone, for the great insights! I have now been able to successfully sit for brief periods of time with the 'half focused gaze', but when it becomes too much of a distraction, I allow my eyes to close. I too sit in a chair when I meditate, simply because I see no benefit to losing the circulation in my legs while I am sitting. For me, as long as my posture is straight, I won't be falling asleep or losing concentration.

Sticking to a regular schedule of meditation has been difficult for me too, but one thing I've noticed has helped a bit: when I am sitting regularly, I have a much easier time stopping myself in an emotionally heated moment and just re-centering. When I haven't meditated in a few days, I am much more likely to forget to do this, or to say things I regret before I remember to do so. The habit of calming myself and thinking things through definitely comes hand in hand with my sitting practice! Actually, that's why I like to think of it as practice--practicing being calm for the times when it's not as easy to be calm!

This might be a much more pragmatic view than some will take as to the reasons for meditation, but for me, if I cannot be calm and sticking to the precepts in my day-to-day life, I cannot count on any spirituality that is only present when I'm engaged in a religious service. So the practical side is vitally important!
  • edited January 2006
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with being pragmatic. It's a good reason to sit.
  • edited January 2006
    What I'd suggest is to view the breath as the context of your meditation as it were, so that there's space to be aware of sounds, of how the body is, of the space around you. The Pools

The Experience of Sitting

Zenmonk,
    i came across a psychological theory for attention in which we give a percentage of our attention to different stimuli, so if we focus on one thing it gets 100% but if we divide it we can split it to 50-50 or whatever we want. Is this sorta what you mean, some attention on breathing but enough in reserve to be aware of my surroundings?

Thanks for the links
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Pandora,
    Do what works for you. If your practice doesn't benefit you, it isn't worth much. As ZM said, being pragmatic is a good thing. I saw on Zen Mountain Monastery site something that might be of help. They point out their is nothing esoteric about how you sit. It's what you do with your mind that counts. If you can do that better in a chair, please feel free to use it. After practicing for 6 months, I'm trying one of the simpler positions (burmese). Don't be surprised if later on you try something else, but do it in your own time. If you never do anything but sitting in a chair, fantastic. It beats no meditating at all.
    As for scheduling, that seems to be a problem for all of us. I work part time nights. That means 2 nights a week my schedule is thrown off. Try different times and see what works for you. Nothing says you have to do it in the morning first thing.
    So pull up a chair and sit for a while.
    edited January 2006
    I find that meditating after I get home from work works great for me.

I'm not tired like I am when I wake up or, possibly, before I go to bed. It gives me some time to get my mind unfrazzled from work and prepares me for interacting with those at home that I enjoy being with.

This just happens to work for me.

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    Well you asked Jerbear, so I'll share - I do most of my meditating in a classroom on my own when I have a gap between classes, often at lunchtime. Quite often I fall asleep but always wake up exactly 10 minutes before my next class comes in. Sometimes I get out of myself and watch the monkey mind skipping about - it amuses me. Other times I just feel better for having "stilled" but then I meditate in all kinds of odd places - I have been known to do it standing up in a supermarket queue, sitting in the van on a long journey (but not when I'm driving duh!) and only once, famously, dropped into it while staring out of the window while my students were doing an exercise.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    10 minutes is a great place to start. You can build a solid practice starting at that amount of time. When I was first learning to meditate, I did guided meditations that lasted 20 minutes, but then the teacher's voice became a distraction. You really have to find out what works for you. Try different things.

Another practice is called the "metta bhavana" where you send lovingkindness to yourself, a friend, an enemy, someone you don't know and then all 4 as a group and then you keep expanding it from there. I haven't done it in a while, but will probably begin to include it in my practice soon. It left me with "a peaceful, easy feeling" (thanks to the Eagles for that one). There were people I honestly hated when I did it that I ended up friends with. Interesting, eh?
  • edited January 2006
    Thank you for that Jerry - I'll try it, but I don't really hate anyone - can I start with people who irritate me and work up to it?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Of course! Remember, your practice is for you. I've had long term problems with anger and it is only in the past year that it has become more manageable. Near death does change your perspective. LOL!

I'll do some net surfing and see what I can find for ya. Maybe Fede will tell me how to put in links on posts, too.
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks Jerry - that is so kind. I need all the help I can get. I did used to hate people. And for silly reasons too. But then I realised what a complete waste of time it was, especially as most of them didn't even know I hated them and wouldn't have given a flying fish if they did! And I have a terrible memory and kept on smiling at people in the street before I remembered that I hated them and felt silly! So now I don't hate people and I can smile at anyone I want to!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Knitwitch,
    One site that is a wonderful reference is www.buddhanet.net, tons of free information there. And it is from all schools from what I could tell. So if you're into Theravada, Mahayana, or Vajrayana, you can find something to your taste.
  • edited January 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    Knitwitch,
    One site that is a wonderful reference is www.buddhanet.net, tons of free information there. And it is from all schools from what I could tell. So if you're into :lol: Theravada, Mahayana, or Vajrayana, you can find something to your taste.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: Oh blessings on you in bright showers of gold Jerry - like I would know what I'm into or not??????? I'm a baby in this lark, sweetie - it's like asking a two year old if he prefers calvados or cognac!!!:lol::lol:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    twobitbob wrote:
    Zenmonk,
    i came across a psychological theory for attention in which we give a percentage of our attention to different stimuli, so if we focus on one thing it gets 100% but if we divide it we can split it to 50-50 or whatever we want. Is this sorta what you mean, some attention on breathing but enough in reserve to be aware of my surroundings?

Thanks for the links

I have found that there is much to be learned from our "style of attention". When I was first introduced to the idea, I was astonished to discover that other people pay attention in different ways. Helen Palmer has done some very interesting work on this subject.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    But the best part of this site, IT'S FREE!!!!!!!! But do consider contributing financially if you can.
  • edited January 2006
    Oooh, loving-kindness meditations! I really love those. Before I ever found Buddhism, I would often hear sirens go by the house for firetrucks or ambulances, and often see them on the roads. So whenever I did, I would close my eyes and envision sending loving, helpful energy along with the truck as it went to the people who were in trouble. I don't know if it actually helped any--I would like to think it does--but what I especially liked about it is that it acted as a sort of mindfulness bell for me. It took a sound that could've been annoying and grating (those sirens are LOUD!) and turned it into a reminder to have compassion for others.

Just one of those little things you can do that I really like.
    --Pandy
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Hello gang,
    I need some advice here. As some know, I have chronic pain issues and sometimes cannot sit to meditate for very long. As one who really gets into it (I normally sit 30 minutes a day), is there any practices one knows that can be done lying down. Our Rev. Genryu has suggested meditating lying down and the way things are looking, I may have to start doing it that way on some days. I was unable to meditate 3 days this week or do any of the practices I normally do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    edited February 2006
    Jerry, forgive me for sounding flippant, but if you were a paraplegic practising Buddhism, you'd have no choice.....
    My point is that whilst it is important to adhere to convention and follow tradition, teachings and guidelines, 'ain't nobody gonna whup you if you cain't' - !!
    Adopt a position which will keep you as pain-free as possible, but retain your composure and concentration. meditate in the way which will be most fruitful to your practise.
    I apologise again if i come across as being flippant or as if I am trivialising the condition.
    You know i would not do that Mindlessly....
    edited February 2006
    Jer...

I was just thinking....

I bought my son one of these funky chairs that he sits in while playing his video games. Maybe you could try one of these. You wouldn't be lying down (so you wouldn't fall asleep) but you also wouldn't be rigidly upright and still have some back support.

Maybe you could also cut down on the amount of time you spend during one meditation session.

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Fede,
    Thank you for your input. I am trying to do as much as I can. Trying to find alternatives at this point as my practice is important to me. I may start doing 20 minutes twice a day instead of 30 minutes at a time as BF has suggested.

BF,
    I've seen those chairs. The question is "How do I get off the floor by myself?" LOL! I have been sitting Burmese up to this point. I am going to buy a regular folding chair to mediate on. Though I love my zafu and zabuton, they may not be the best choice for me.
    edited February 2006
    Yeah... I never thought about getting out of it.

I'd hate for you to be caught looking like a turtle stuck on it's back...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    There was a guy at our retreat that couldn't meditate sitting down. They had him laying on his back with a cushion under his knees to take the strain off his lower back. He then rested his hands on his stomach and meditated that way.