Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation: Eyes Wide Shut?

2»

Comments

• JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the input Frizzer. I'm definitely going to keep that one in mind when one of these spurts happen.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I'm doing it lying on my side with two pillows between my knees. I don't get sleepy at all. Most of the time semi-lotus works really well if I'm leaning up against something but I can only maintain it for 15 minutes at a time. I've thrown most of the traditional positions out the window and even use small minutes like when I'm making tea and waiting for the kettle to boil. I've even tried it in the pool at the hospital. But they keep it a little too warm. Sometimes I do it lying on my stomach like at the chiropractor. I have the least pain in this position and last longer than in any other. I just try new things all the time and hopefully I'll find a rhythm eventually.

Love
    Brigid
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Jerbear,

Whilst posture is of importance, I think that awareness of posture is actually even more important. Thus, if we have to meditate whilst hanging by a single fingernail from a crumbling cliff edge, it is more important to be aware of using the posture available to us than to cross our legs!

It is a rather nasty modern 'heresy' that places such importance on the active, whilst the suffering are somehow seen as second-best: the bed-bound, the prisoner in solitary, the chronic sick. These are as fully in the heart of the Buddha as the most adept yogin.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Oh, Simon. I can't tell you the effect on me having read your words. You're so right. Especially in our new Yoga crazed cultures I find that people who couldn't possibly do these things physically are completely left out. I have to go to Tai Chi or the other one, I think it's the one Fede teaches, to be even acknowledged. It's like not being allowed up in the tree fort. And I find MYSELF doing it, buying into it and limiting what I think I can do.
    Thank you, Simon!

Love,
    Brigid
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Jerbear,

Whilst posture is of importance, I think that awareness of posture is actually even more important. Thus, if we have to meditate whilst hanging by a single fingernail from a crumbling cliff edge, it is more important to be aware of using the posture available to us than to cross our legs!

It is a rather nasty modern 'heresy' that places such importance on the active, whilst the suffering are somehow seen as second-best: the bed-bound, the prisoner in solitary, the chronic sick. These are as fully in the heart of the Buddha as the most adept yogin.

Excellent point, Simon.

I think equating Buddhism to "one must sit in this position" or "one must do this in this way" ritualizes Buddhism into something it truly isn't.

Meditation can or could be something as quick as - stopping the doing or the responding until you've had just a second to meditate on what you've heard or what you've seen before you react.

This could be done in at work, in a bar, at school, at home, with a loved one, with an enemy, with your dog...

One should not have to perform specific actions to incorporate the teachings of Buddha. But, if time allows for an environment that is much more peaceful, a sanctum sanctorum, if you will - why not?

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I hear you all on thinking that certain postures are better and more conducive to enlightenment. I told my partner we needed to get a folding chair for my meditation space. I was doing the Burmese position just to feel normal for a little while. Found out it's not really a good idea.

One thing that's tough with chronic illness is that you face your limitations daily. Then sometimes you can feel like your left out of a lot as Brigid noted. So sometimes, we might do something that might not be in our best interest for a day or two to feel "norml".

I am starting a run of short term therapy to try and get a handle on my condition. This has been a bit more than I can handle and why not get help.
  • edited February 2006
    Just a thought, but there used to be a sort of chair available that had a kneeling pad at the front so one was kneeling on the supports with the bum on a seat which was supposed to be very good for people with back problems - several friends of mine had them - I wonder if these are still around and if they might be a solution?
    edited February 2006
    Knit,

That's true. A lot of ergonomic chairs like that for people that work at desks all day long.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    That's the one! Well done BF
    edited February 2006
    Thanks, punkin!

It was your idea... well done.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I think I have posted this link before but here it is again. These are real luxury:

Align the Spine
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Thanks, punkin!

It was your idea... well done.

-bf

Oh shucks, no one's called me punkin for a long time. Gone all silly now
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Simon,
    The wandering monk chair is what I wanted for Xmas, but I got Tivo instead. I told the partner the chair was too much. He never listens. I may tell him to get it for the bday!
  • edited February 2006
    Your partner got you Tivo and you're still suffering...? :confused:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    LOL!!!
  • edited February 2006
    Pandora wrote:
    I've read recently that Buddhist meditation is done with the eyes open, and a sort of soft focus in front of you. However, in my previous experience with meditation--particularly guided meditations written up in books or on CDs, you're encouraged to close your eyes. So my habit in meditation is to work with the eyes closed, and I've noticed that it's very distracting for me to try and keep them open. Is there any particular advantage to keeping the eyes open, or reasons they should not be closed? Has anyone tried both ways? Is it more simply a matter of what you are used to or what you were taught? Also, has anyone tried eyes-open meditation whilst focusing on an object in front of you--such as a candle flame, a mandala, or a special religious or personal symbol? Any special experiences working this way?

Lots of questions, I know, but it should give us a bit to discuss! :D Cheers!

There are many many forms of meditation, some Buddhist, some not.

As far as I know the Buddha (and I turn to him at this point as he was one of the first people to speak about Buddhism*, and as such I consider him an expert) did mention various types of meditation, relating to loving kindness (metta) meditation, and other types of contemplative/awarnesss meditations.

The aim of meditation (AFAIK) is twofold, first, to reduce the background noise in ones mind, and 2. to understand. People see meditation as an end, which is a fallacy, it is merely a means, a tool, like the Dhamma itself.

*My error, here I use the term Buddhism when I should say "Dhamma" see next post
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    hope wrote:
    As far as I know the Buddha (and I turn to him at this point as he was one of the first people to speak about Buddhism, and as such I consider him an expert)

The Buddha never spoke about Buddhism, as he wasn't Buddhist... the term was coined by his followers, and means "awake"... he merely expounded what he had come to know.
    The aim of meditation (AFAIK) is twofold, first, to reduce the background noise in ones mind, and 2. to understand. People see meditation as an end, which is a fallacy, it is merely a means, a tool, like the Dhamma itself.

The aims of meditation are many and varied, according to the different types practised... Sunnyatta and Vipasshana mean "Void", or "emptiness' and "To see things as they really are" respectively.... but there are other types which enable you to perceive the innermost essence of Self and Non-Self....
    It depends on your school of thought. It's all a bit confusing really....
    I just sit. :)
  • edited February 2006
    Sorry, when I said Buddhism there I was referring to "Dhamma". He was the first person to expound this particular doctrine in this age
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Rev. Genryu,
    Not that you will have any sympathy toward the situation, but we still have been unable to get it up and running and that is after 2 different boxes. So, I haven't been able to use it so far. I could have used the meditation chair once or twice. But I'm not complaining.
  • edited February 2006
    We'll have to do something about that then.