Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you think meditation will help you as a person?

edited May 2011 in Meditation
Their are many different views for meditation.

A Zen story:

A Buddhist monk was meditating when his master walked in.
Master: Why are you meditating?
Monk: Because I want to become a Buddha!
The master sat down and started polishing a stone. The curious young monk asked,
Monk: What are you doing?
Master: Trying to turn this stone into a mirror.
Monk: But you can't make mirrors out of stone.
Master: Neither can you become a Buddha by sitting there cross-legged all day!

But many other people believe that meditation helps you dramatically.

What's your point of view?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    You don't meditate to become anything, you meditate to see how the mind works (its nature, the nature of all things). Seeing how the mind works, you gain personal insight into what causes suffering and that abandoning the cause will end that suffering (the Four Noble Truths). That's all.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    What's your point of view?
    Meditation can help human beings.

There is no need to take Zen fairy tales so seriously & literally.

Regards

• Meditation is like putting money in the piggy bank. Once you have enough, you may achieve great things. Its many other things as well such as: Promotes good health, relaxes the mind, eases suffering, purifies the mind, develop skillful qualities, and helps gain insight into the nature of things. I can go on further but I think people just need to not be afraid to try something out.

Why must we purify our minds? Because the mind is one dirty, naughty, little mind thats why.

with metta.
  • When restless thoughts settle, inner joy can be felt. It can be very rejuvenating physically, emotionally, and mentally during and after meditation. These are a few immediate benefits.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    My Mind is so Monkey, I think even David Attenborough would be over-whelmed.
    Striving to still the Monkey Mind.... That in itself, is an incredible achievement....

but as Cloud points out - not the goal....
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Meditation is to simplify the surroundings around oneself.