Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Prostration

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited May 2011 in Philosophy
The closest zen temple to where I live is about 2 hours away. I was reading about their precept ceremony coming up in July. It states that before taking the precepts one is required to make 3000 prostrations. The first 1000 is in attonement for previous wrong-doings, the second 1000 is to forgive the wrongdoings of others, and the third 1000 is to resolve to follow the path of wisdom andcompassion.
What is prostration and how is it performed?

On another note, their version of the precepts differs from my previous understanding. They are stated thus:

1. Do not harm, but cherish all life.
2. Do not take what is not given, but respect the things of others.
3. Do not engage in sexual promiscuity, but practice purity of mind and self-restraint.
4. Do not lie, but only speak the truth.
5. Do not partake in the production and trading of firearms and chemical poisons.
6. Do not waste, but conserve energy and natural resources.
7. Do not harbor enmity against the wrongs of others, but promote peace and justice through non-violent means.
8. Do not cling to things that belong to you, but practice generosity and the joy of sharing.

Particularly, the 5th precept says nothing about consumption of intoxicants, which has been a difficult but very rewarding precept for me to follow. Why would they make this change?

Comments

• Looks like you're looking at a Korean Zen monastery, they take their prostrations seriously :) Each tradition has its own peculiarities. In Japanese Zen the prostrations aren't such a big deal when taking the precepts. If you want to take up the non drinking precept, please do so. I'm pretty sure these precepts have been adapted to modern life especially to those of lay students. However, if you just practice their version of precepts 100% I'm sure you'll be ok ;)
    108 prostrations:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Talisman -- It does sound as if the place you are near to is either Korean or Tibetan in leaning. But to the best of my knowledge, all schools do prostrations ... some more, some less.

A prostration has the same impact in any school since you are the one who performs it. If you are uncertain about how to perform it (whatever it may be), the rule of thumb is, "copy the other guy."

Prostrations, like bowing or sitting or chanting, provide an opportunity to bring body, mind and heart into synch. Everything you've got goes into a prostration ... your whole life is nothing but this prostration. The teaching of a prostration is the same as the other ritual teachings ... you are not separate; there are no divisions whether within or without; this ... is ... it!

By repeating such rituals, the dime begins to drop and the need to distinguish one thing from another (body from mind, birth from death, tall from short, etc.) abates. At this point, a lot of people start chattering about "oneness," but that's no more accurate than separation. Just keep doing this prostration.

Over and over again, there is just this prostration. For those inclined, it is an excellent way of straightening out a wobbly lifestyle.
  • There's the Tibetan style full prostration:

BTW I'm in awe at the grandmother's drive to do full prostrations, no matter how slow she moves.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    You are obviously talking about the Zen Lotus Society, now renamed to Buddhist Society for Compassionate Wisdom (I prefer the old name). The founder is indeed an ordained monk from Korean Son or Zen tradition, although he established an independent order that is not a recognized branch of the Chogye or any other sect.

Korean prostration is to me a form of whole body chanting. The repetition in movement, like the repetition in sound from chants, is a form of meditation. Lay people might even focus more on prostrations than sitting meditation. Your mind becomes focused far more than just sitting, where it's possible for your attention to drift off to the point of falling asleep.

I don't know about this sect, but in Kwan Um prostrations are encouraged but we know that many people have physical limitations and nobody is standing there counting like gym teachers forcing you to do situps. New folks soon get the hang of it by watching the people around them and copying the movement.

As for the 8 precepts, it's a distinction of this sect to replace the intoxicant precept with the firearm one. I've never heard why, but I suspect they had too many potential members not willing to give up a cold beer but more than willing not to own a gun. That's Western Buddhism for you. Yet another offshoot of this sect ran by past members, the Still Point Buddhist Temple, has only five precepts and lists the fifth precept as "Do not partake in the production and transactions of firearms and chemical poisons that are injurious to public health and safety nor of drugs and liquors that confuse and weaken the mind." I think someone there must have been a lawyer.

I'd say precepts are for your personal use to guide your behavior. If intoxicants are a known problem for you, then be a Nine Vow Buddha.

• Some Tibetan pilgrims used to prostrate themselves from their point of origin all the way to Lhasa.
  • Worst part of the annual physical.