Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you think Buddhism is more for people who actually need and seek help in their lives?

N2BN2B
edited May 2011 in Faith & Religion
PLEASE READ:

Buddhism, and meditation helps people, become kinder, more relaxed, calmer,helps end suffering, become compassionate, become wiser, more wisdom,and overall become better people for themselves and others etc etc (list can go on)

HOWEVER:
Do you perhaps believe that people who turn to buddhism maybe needs this help..

Because i know some people,who are not buddhists and are more friendly, wiser, compassionate, mentally stronger, than Buddhists who have been practising Buddhism for many years..

My point is, i do believe that there are people who are natually already like Buddhas without practising buddhism, They dont HAVE to practice anything and are so content and happy and wise that they dont need any religion, faith, philosphy, etc etc..

anyway, im just wondering what your thoughts are on this..

Comments

• Hi N2B,
    your right as far as im concerned!

There ARE people in the world who dont NEED anything becuase the answers are already within us..and buddhism is just a guide for those who need it.
    some need guidance and some dont....

Here a little story about a man I know..

An old man lived down the street from me years ago.
    He was the most generous person ever.
    I often did his garden for many years and he taught me alot about life.

He had a wife who he truley loved, and when she passed, id never seen anyone so composed and could still smile for the life she lived.

I remember asking him if he did ever practice a philosphy becuase he did remind me of one who practised 'Stoic' (and buddhism in fact)

But he said he did practice something called 'whatever his heart was saying'
    He said he didnt need help from other religions. He didnt even read much he said.
    ''Becuase all answers lie within - not in a book''

I remember his quote he used to say simular to above..

''To questions you seek in life, you will find no real answers in minds of others or books or quotes. For all your answers are already within you. You just need to open your heart and listen. If you seek answers away from yourself, you move further away from your own truth''

(it was something like that he said - lol)

Anyway, back to your question, 'he was very very wise and didnt need Buddhas help, nor anyones for that matter' So i do believe Buddhism and other religions are for people need the help.

Best wishes on your path!
  • I guess that's why the saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" exists... but what a gruesome saying, lol.
    I do think Buddhism appeals to those who are searching for guidance, yet some receive the guidance from their upbringing or natural character. Some even learn lessons from misfortune or hardship.
    I remember that before I got into Buddhism, I had different values and ideals than my parents. My dad was always telling me that I was too naive, but I really put a lot of thought into my beliefs after going through hardships. I was walking around with a big head, thinking I had the world mostly figured out... that I was unique or something. Then when I got into a deep conversation with a friend she said "I think you have beliefs similar to Buddhism", and she gave me a book on zen. I was all offended because I had an ignorant concept of Buddhism, and I was kind of full of myself. But after I finally read the book (I tucked it away for a year), I realized I had not invented my own religion, and I was not unique, lol! Someone had already come up with these concepts before me... and in fact elaborated on them even further than I had, and even did a better job of articulating them!
  • Interesting topic! I think there are people who are wise, gentle and more happy than the rest of us. But I think they are rare.
    Buddhism is do deep so I have hard time to believe that people analyze themselves so in detail if they haven't received any teachings. But who knows...?
  • Because i know some people,who are not buddhists and are more friendly, wiser, compassionate, mentally stronger, than Buddhists who have been practising Buddhism for many years.
    Isn't this just a perception and opinion? What facts can you base this on?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    (He can't base them on any facts, any more.....)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Yup Buddhism is for those who want to get rid of suffering lol.
    If you aren't suffering then why bother? Lol.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Yup Buddhism is for those who want to get rid of suffering lol.
    If you aren't suffering then why bother? Lol.
    Because many others suffer to and concerning ourselves with just our own welfare has always bought suffering so therefore it is in our interest to practise for others benifit :)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Yes, but first we must free ourselves from suffering. Then we can save other people, but I suppose one can save themselves for the sake of others. But I also can see why people would want to save themselves. Lol the natural inclination after saving oneself is to save others. Meh Lol.
  • Hi,

Even if there is no need, the average person has emotional ups and down. One moment we are happy, another moment a past memory may stir up unpleasant emotion. In day to day life, there are often worries about the future. Even when there is nothing, the feeling of boredom may arise or the feeling that something is missing seems to exist in the background. This this the case for the general population, and that includes pretty much anyone. Here we are not talking about people with more serious problems to deal with.

The application of mindfulness in everyday life can add to the quality of each moment. Settling the mind when it is not needed can give rise to the joyful energy within whenever we apply the practice.

Even when there is hardly any issue at all in my life ( which is often the case) , after a meditation session it feels pleasant and at ease physically, mentally, and emotionally. When leaving the practicing center, one is more awake and aware of the sunlight and the gentle breeze in the air. The whole atmosphere seems more beautiful and joyful than other times when one is lost in mental restlessness.

The application of the teaching is not just about decreasing unpleasantness in life, but it is also a way of life that promotes contentment in every moment of our daily life.

Even if I don't have any issue at all ( which I don't ) , I still apply mindfulness and meditation in life because it just makes my experience much more pleasant than when I don't.

With metta,

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Buddhism is for people who suspect that real happiness can't be found in temporary things. Some people are quite happy with temporary things, temporarily.
    :)
  • Because i know some people,who are not buddhists and are more friendly, wiser, compassionate, mentally stronger, than Buddhists who have been practising Buddhism for many years
    I tried hard to think of anyone I've ever personally known who has appeared to be truly happy, peaceful, wise etc - and no one came to mind apart from a few long-time practicing Buddhists I know. Lots of people I've met have been genuinely cheerful and friendly, others shown great compassion and kindness, and others highly intelligent, wise maybe even. I can't think of anyone who has seemed to have the whole package though, consistently.

I get where you're coming from though - some non-Buddhists seem to have it more together than so called practicing Buddhists. But I also think that when you start practicing you can go through a period, sometimes a long period, where things seem and get worse e.g. you become more painfully aware of how you create your own suffering, but are unable to stop yourself because you don't quite 'get it' yet, and that might make your behaviour a little erratic for a while. We're all works in progress, at different stages (some bigger works in progress than others!). Hopefully we'll all get there in the end though :)
  • edited May 2011
    Homeboys who are completely happy with their lives are probably in more danger. Folks that know something is wrong will seek help to escape Samsara. People who are prefectly happy enjoying their temporary good karma might lose it one day.

Buddhism isn't just about being happy. Some people are happy to drink and party as much as they can, what do you think will happen to them? People with successful lives and happy families won't know about past negative karmas, who knows when a disaster will hit them? Someone with a grudge from past life might what to kill them? People won't know the benefit of repentance and spirutual practice to stop the actions of negative karma, because our lives are endless!

If we are attached to form, sound, scent, taste, touch and phenomeones we will get the wrong view!
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    Well of course it is for those who seek help. If they don't seek it they don't find it.
    I believe that a person does not need religion to guide their lives. I am perfectly fine with no religion to guide my values.
  • Some people were born into families that did not impose insecurities upon them, and were healthy and functional, so they ended up being healthy, contented and functional adults themselves. Whereas other people who were born into dysfunctional and insecure families end up as dysfunctional and insecure adults. They struggle to find a way to become 'normal,' and they usually see hope in Buddha's teachings, and begin to practice meditation. People such as this who have taken up the Dhamma might not be the best living example of what Buddha's teachings can accomplish in an individual, but that does not mean the Dhamma can not achieve remarkable results in terms of effecting personality change in an individual, especially one who was beforehand internally troubled.
    In regards to the contented and functional individual who does not practice meditation. If they did take up the practice of the Dhamma then their lives would be made even more peaceful and contented.
    With that said, the Dhamma is for every one. For those who are contented, and for those who are suffering. :)
    -Tikal
  • I think Buddhism appeals to people who are naturally caring and compassionate.
  • Well of course it is for those who seek help. If they don't seek it they don't find it.
    I believe that a person does not need religion to guide their lives. I am perfectly fine with no religion to guide my values.
    Buddhism is a religion by the way. Only looking at the philosophy only get you so far. Buddhism is a religion that guides people's lives...
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Well of course it is for those who seek help. If they don't seek it they don't find it.
    Buddhism is a religion by the way. Only looking at the philosophy only get you so far. Buddhism is a religion that guides people's lives...
    I believe that it can be both.
  • Buddhism in mainland China suffered alot because of that attitude of most practitioners. Philosophers can't benefit from the Dharma.
  • Look at it this way, flying a plane is much more fun and interesting than reading about a cockpit and its thousand variations. Further, one can learn 'rope' wise and reality is instructive.
  • I think Buddhism appeals to people who are naturally caring and compassionate.
    Or suffering?
  • Or suffering?
    Not necessarily. Some people are naturally good-hearted and caring. Look at children, for example. Caring about others seems to come naturally to many.

• TalismanTalisman Veteran
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratyekabuddha

Personal Buddhas achive lasting happiness and nirvana without the guidance of an enlightened one and for primarily their own benefit. They have a limited scope of proficiency when it comes to guiding others (in fact some would say they have no ability whatsoever for expounding upon the dharma for the sake of other sentient life.)

There are certainly wise, happy people living fullfilling lives, but eventually, without the refuge of the Buddha the Dharma and the Sangha, they will be reborn again into conditions beyond anticipation which may lead to states of suffering and woe.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    This sounds a lot like the Christian belief that even if you live a righteous life, if you don't believe Jesus is the son of God, you're going to hell anyway. I don't think I buy this, Tal. If some people are naturally compassionate and wise, why would they need religion? Maybe they're bodhisattvas who already realized Enlightenment in a past life. You never know.

There are certainly wise, happy people living fullfilling lives, but eventually, without the refuge of the Buddha the Dharma and the Sangha, they will be reborn again into conditions beyond anticipation which may lead to states of suffering and woe.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    According to Gampopa Buddha has five families he is connected to. All will eventually become buddhas. Incorrigible cannot be taught but if they can visualize giving a buddha a flower then they can become enlightened. Solitary buddhists and those who practice in secret societies are another family. Those who practice for attainin freedom from suffering in this life. Those who take on the qualities of whoever their teacher is. And those who practice for the enlightenment of all beings. The qualities are described in more detail of each of these families in Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation text which is a very old text over 1000 years old I believe.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    You've had some really helpful posts lately, Jeffrey. Thanks.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Well that feels good to be appreciated. :) Thanks Dakini.
  • Many spiritual communities actively welcome conflict as it is the testing ground for our ability to forgive, and love even those who irritate the hell out of us. Those who recognize they need this testing may not conventionally appear very advanced as your neighbor , but that is because the have thrown themselves onto the fray in an attempt to stabilize their training under all circumstances.Facing our own anger, selfishness and judgements is not an easy thing to do and those who put themselves to the test and work on purifying them are true spiritual "warriors"

(Not speaking about your neighbor specifically but some people stay in their coccoon. They avoiding the challenges of interacting with the world and never test their limits.Are they more compassionate,spiritual and stable? Not necessarily.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The first noble truth is to see that there is suffering. So the answer to the thread heading is yes.
  • SEKKYO said to one of his monks, "Can you get hold of Emptiness?"

"I'll try" said the monk, and he cupped his hands in the air.

"That's not very good," said Sekkyo. "You haven't got anything in
    there!"

"Well, master," said the monk, "please show me a better way."

Thereupon Sekkyo seized the monk's nose and gave it a great yank.

"Ouch!" yelled the monk. "You hurt me!"

"That's the way to get hold of Emptiness!" said Sekkyo.
  • Buddhism is for everyone because even for those who have no problems now, they will certainly encounter problems and sufferings later.

Why?

Because there is death and decay, and change is constant and inevitable.

What is dear to one will ultimately be lost, and maybe an understanding of these things can help one better cope with loss and change.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    i also agree that buddhism is for everyone.

but can a person arise at an understanding based on their life experience, rather than studying buddhism?
    i suppose buddhism presents it very clear, but one could also gain such knowledge from other religions.

buddhism just makes how reality functions very clear. in that sense buddhism is merely seeing clearly how reality works and our relation to such reality. if that is the case then buddhism can be practiced by anyone. Even those who aren't buddhist can be very well buddhists in the sense that they see reality for what it is and find some composure and peace in what is.

i think a lot of people are attracted to buddhism because of its rational and straight forwardness. also it is structured to have a path, method and goal. these things are clear and this attracts a lot of people. different religions might not cut it for some of us, while others can be totally content in other religions. but also one can come at a realization and understanding without knowing buddhism. the dharma is life itself.
  • "Naturally caring" people have cultivated this virtue from their past lives. People encountering Buddhism is because of roots they've planted in the past.

Hence why such emphosis on helping other beings who haven't had the chance yet.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I like that Nota. Good point Nori.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I know I (try to) practise Buddhism because I need the teachings in my life. I'm trying to follow the NEP and to keep the 4 Noble Truths at the forefront of my mind. But I'll always be a novice I fear :/ But I agree with the statement that the Dhamma is for everyone.

In metta,
    Raven
    :om: