Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

forcing your breath

edited May 2011 in Meditation
I have found that my breathing pattern feels unnatural in daily life. Tense, shallow and quick. Meditation and yoga has helped tremendously! However, I often return quickly back into my old pattern of tense breath when I am not conscious of breathing in a natural way. It is a long struggle for me.

Just an observation and am wondering if anyone else on the board has grappled with such matters in meditation and daily life?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Perhaps when you notice yourself tensing up, you could take a minute or less and simply take three slow, conscious breaths. Each time you notice the tenseness, slow down. Over time, the tense times can turn into a good teacher and, finally, what is taught will become the norm.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    hi

tense, shallow and quick breath is often influenced by a similar state of mind

it is also influenced by our body de-stressing. When stress arises into awareness in order to dissolve, the breathing can become short during this purging/purifying process

so try to be aware of your state of mind. This will allow awareness to calm your mind to a greater state of ease

also, the Buddha taught when our breathing is short, to simply be aware of such short breathing. By doing so, the breath will purify and naturally lengthen

regards

:)