Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thought Crime & Karma

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited June 2011 in Philosophy
I am just wondering what peoples take on this is. I mean for example if someone is really full of rage and has a thought about an act of violence, but would never actually carry it out, do you think there would be some sort of intention here and hence do you think there would be karma associated with this type of thought. Also for a lot of anxiety disorders, sufferers can have disturbing thoughts such as imagining carrying out acts of violence, do you think these thoughts would have karma associated with them ?
I personally do not think that thoughts carry much weight if any in terms of karma, it is actual physical acts that accumulates karma. Thats my opinion anyway.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There is also mental karma, I'm not really sure what the results of it are though. It wouldn't seem to me that you'd suffer any actual physical effects of it. But since its a mental event maybe you could suffer mentally from it. Take myself, for example, I like heist movies and like to imagine ways to steal things though I don't actually do it. As a mental karmic consequence, I think, I often worry about my own things being stolen. I don't know if this is a proper interpretation of mental karma but it makes sense to me.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @person suffering mentally is an interesting take on these types of thought. But as Buddhists if we practice mindfulness then should we not avoid judging thoughts and actually see the thought for what it actually is, just a thought ? Is it not the way in which we react to a thought that determines any mental state that follows the thought. Therefore in theory any type of thought should have no karma associated with it if we practice mindfulness correctly right ?
    @person suffering mentally is an interesting take on these types of thought. But as Buddhists if we practice mindfulness then should we not avoid judging thoughts and actually see the thought for what it actually is, just a thought ? Is it not the way in which we react to a thought that determines any mental state that follows the thought. Therefore in theory any type of thought should have no karma associated with it right ?
    Interesting, maybe it is only when we attach to our thoughts that we actually create karma? IDK. Here's a link to a good source for teachings on karma. I'm going to browse through it now and see if it says anything about this.

http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/karma.html

I found this from that link.

"Even if we do not act on a negative intention, a karmic seed of diminished potency is still left in the mind. This incompleted seed is easier to remove. If it is not destroyed, a negative seed will eventually produce an unpleasant and negative effect while a postive seed will produce a pleasant and positive effect. Karmic seeds do not go to waste even after one hundred aeons. They will come to fruition when the time comes and the conditions assemble."

It doesn't say though what the effect of that seed will be though, whether it remains a mental event or not.

• very interesting @person, as I have said I would tend to disagree with this view, which I believe is a mahayana view, Im not sure what the theravada view on this is maybe they both agree, anyone know this?
  • Thought precedes action. I feel that although our speech and actions carry a lot of weight when it comes to karmic fruition, someone harboring lust, anger, jealousy, resentment, greed, hatred, etc. can and will be effected by these emotions, often times leading to unskillful action and speech.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Thought and action are interpenetrating.
    edited June 2011
    Thought does not have to precede action. I can act in many ways without thinking about it, just as I can think without acting. Also I think its how a person reacts to a thought that can lead to karma not the actual thought itself.
  • In no way does action occur without thought. Actions can be made heedlessly is what you mean to say, which means that they can be made without mindfulness.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Thought - Small negative kamma.
    Word (voicing it) - Medium negative Kamma
    Action (doing it) - Big negative Kamma

How small, medium or big it is, depends on the initial thought to begin with.
    Kamma is intentional, volitional action. It is what it is.
    edited June 2011
    In no way does action occur without thought. Actions can be made heedlessly is what you mean to say, which means that they can be made without mindfulness.
    So each time you breath you think I am going to breath, if this is the case your mindfulness is immense. For me I do not think I am going to breath before every breath I have. This is a basic example. But there are many more in which I and Im sure everyone (unless where all masters of mindfuulness) have done actions like eat food, wash, go for a walk, driving the car and pick up an object, where there is no thought involved before I do it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    VOLITIONAL Action, it should be clarified.
    Breathing is an involuntary mechanical process which frankly, keeps us alive.
    You cannot combat a process which is designed to maintain life....not for long, anyway.

We can go without solid nourishment for 14 days, before we begin to suffer serious side-effects.
    We can go without fluid nourishment for 4 days, before we begin to suffer serious side-effects.
    we can go without air for around 4 minutes, before we begin to suffer serious side-effects.

(I exclude those who have dedicated themselves to stringent discipline and training to accomplish the above to exceed these limits....)

I for one cannot imagine, or think of one single time, when I have eaten food, washed, gone for a walk, driven the car or picked up an object, and not had a thought involved, before I did it....
  • Just because you are not mindful of the thought that occurs before action does not mean that the thought does not occur. Mindfulness of the breath is Anapanasati, a very important form of meditation for many Buddhist monastics. Mindfulness of one's thoughts, actions, and words is one of (if not THE) most important Buddhist practices.
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Thoughts release their associated biochemical signatures within the body whether those thoughts are physically acted upon or not. Those biochemical signatures have an internal effect on the body. Depending on the particular thoughts and the biochemical signatures they produce, they may have quite a physically adverse effect on the body! Therefore can thoughts produce karma?
    As far as the body is concerned they certainly do. Over time, one's prevalent thoughts become engraved upon the body physically, biochemically.
  • I am just wondering what peoples take on this is. I mean for example if someone is really full of rage and has a thought about an act of violence, but would never actually carry it out, do you think there would be some sort of intention here and hence do you think there would be karma associated with this type of thought. Also for a lot of anxiety disorders, sufferers can have disturbing thoughts such as imagining carrying out acts of violence, do you think these thoughts would have karma associated with them ?
    I personally do not think that thoughts carry much weight if any in terms of karma, it is actual physical acts that accumulates karma. Thats my opinion anyway.

Do you really think the anger has no consequence? Don't you think the anger will affect people living with the angry person even if they are not directly involved in the "injustice" in the first place. An angry person will have negative effect on his/her environment.

edited June 2011
    Thoughts release their associated biochemical signatures within the body whether those thoughts are physically acted upon or not. Those biochemical signatures have an internal effect on the body. Depending on the particular thoughts and the biochemical signatures they produce, they may have quite a physically adverse effect on the body! Therefore can thoughts produce karma?
    As far as the body is concerned they certainly do. Over time, one's prevalent thoughts become engraved upon the body physically, biochemically.
    It is the reaction to the thought that causes the bodies physical effects, not the thought itself. For example If I have a thought of me dying. I can react by becoming hysterical, which could result in a panic attack, hence a extreme physical reaction, or I could see it as just a thought and not judge it, not become attached to it, and then I continue as if the thought never existed.
    So I think its how we react to our thoughts, not the thoughts themself that results in karma.
    I mean for someone who has an anxiety disorder, and has a hard time controlling their thoughts of fear and pending disaster, they would accumulate masses of negative karma if thoughts actually carried karma. So I really do not think that thoughts can carry any karma, at all unless they are physically acted upon in my opinion

• I personally do not think that thoughts carry much weight if any in terms of karma, it is actual physical acts that accumulates karma. Thats my opinion anyway.

imo Karma merely is moral, mental, spiritual(arisen phenomena) causation. Bad thoughts have a negative mental payload, irrespective of if they lead to bad actions outside of the thoughts.

This is the essence of the very first line in the Dharmapada - What we think we become, we are our thoughts, etc etc

edited June 2011

imo Karma merely is moral, mental, spiritual(arisen phenomena) causation. Bad thoughts have a negative mental payload, irrespective of if they lead to bad actions outside of the thoughts.

This is the essence of the very first line in the Dharmapada - What we think we become, we are our thoughts, etc etc
    Yes if there is intention behind the thoughts I agree maybe there could be karma associated with the thoughts though I am not convinced about it, but I do not think that every thought has intention behind it, I know that not all of my thoughts have intention behind them. I mean we all at some point or other have had a thought that is stupid and irrational right, these type of thought have no intention behind them so these thoughts imo do not carry karma. And the saying "what we think is what we become" is in my opinion simply not true, as I have mentioned earlier, there are people who have anxiety disorders, who think a lot of fearful and irrational thoughts, and I do not think that they become the thoughts that they think, so maybe "what we think is what we become" could be right for intentional thoughts, in my opinion for thoughts which have no intention or are irrational this statement is clearly not true.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2011
    If you absolutely hate your neighbor but you don't actually do anything about that, I think that would still have consequences. Simply having that in your mind has consequences of it's own regardless if you act on it or not.
  • edited June 2011
    Karma is a depressing game.

I prefer chess.

But, in honesty, I find some thoughts to be pure and others sullied. I find them and, if I am practicing well, crave neither their existence nor their non-existence.

It is an ocean-wide practice.
  • If you absolutely hate your neighbor but you don't actually do anything about that, I think that would still have consequences. Simply having that in your mind has consequences of it's own regardless if you act on it or not.
    Good point. Your thoughts and emotions have an effect on you, and thus your actions, even if you don't directly act on them. They can blind you to the reality of the situation. The thoughts are arising from your mind, as are the emotions. It is impossible for your thoughts and emotions to NOT have an effect on your actions. You don't get a karmic pass because the actions are not extreme.

If you are not looking at the world with a clear mind, then you are not reacting to the situation with a clear mind. An example. If you think someone is deliberately insulting you and feel angry, the fact that you don't punch them in the nose like you want doesn't eliminate the karma. Your anger at the least makes you walk away, fuming at your hurt ego, instead of seeing reality.

Actually (if you will pardon me pointing it out) this translation or interpretation is a poor one, and while common enough, it has been discredited.
    This translation is generally accepted to be far more accurate:

Mind is the forerunner of (all evil) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with wicked mind, suffering follows one, even as the wheel follows the hoof of the draught-ox.

Mind is the forerunner of (all good) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind, AFFECTION follows one, even as one's shadow that never leaves.

From here:
    http://www.pathofdhamma.com/pairs.html

• Karma is a depressing game.

I prefer chess.

But, in honesty, I find some thoughts to be pure and others sullied. I find them and, if I am practicing well, crave neither their existence nor their non-existence.

It is an ocean-wide practice.
    This is my point exactly, if you do not judge your thoughts then how can you react to them as being good or bad, and therefore how can you react to them one way or another. So this is why I do not think thoughts have karma. Its the reaction to the thought that creates the karma.
    edited June 2011
    If you absolutely hate your neighbor but you don't actually do anything about that, I think that would still have consequences. Simply having that in your mind has consequences of it's own regardless if you act on it or not.
    Good point. Your thoughts and emotions have an effect on you, and thus your actions, even if you don't directly act on them. They can blind you to the reality of the situation. The thoughts are arising from your mind, as are the emotions. It is impossible for your thoughts and emotions to NOT have an effect on your actions. You don't get a karmic pass because the actions are not extreme.
    Well mindfulness teachings disagree with this, as they teach you to not judge your thoughts as good or bad, it teaches us to not react with happiness or sadness to our thoughts or become attached to our thoughts. Thats my understanding of it anyway.
    edited June 2011
    Just a thought (pardon the pun), for people who believe that thought can have karma, you must think that people like Stephen king, who writes horror books and horror films accumulate a lot of negative karma :rolleyes:
    Again I am not convinced
  • Actually (if you will pardon me pointing it out) this translation or interpretation is a poor one, and while common enough, it has been discredited.
    I don't mind you pointing it out at all, however, I find the notion of discrediting or affirming the accuracy any dharma text or translation itself to be meaningless. How can anyone possibly know what is accurate? What would that even mean for it to be accurate?

I have many translations of the Dharmapada, in book and electronically, it amazes me how often they differ but the key point, imo, is that it just doesn't matter.

I don't read the DP and think this is what is said, rather, I think about what is said and ask if it makes sense. Does its understanding and/or practice lead to clarity, wisdom and the reduction of suffering.

On a nitpicky point however, I'm not sure what the core difference of the translation you pasted is to what I was referring to?

• Just a thought (pardon the pun), for people who believe that thought can have karma, you must think that people like Stephen king, who writes horror books and horror films accumulate a lot of negative karma :rolleyes:
    Again I am not convinced
    Imagining something horrific is not the same as harboring hatred or resentment. I'm sure Stephen King has no harmful intent. However, some people who are naturally violent or angry may experience thoughts of hatred or malice toward others that could definitely be detrimental to their mental state.

Also, you keep talking about not viewing one's thoughts as "good or bad." Which is fine because there no inherent goodness or badness in any thought. However, certain thoughts can be considered to be "UNSKILLFUL." Unskillful thoughts can lead to unskillful actions and words.
  • Yes if there is intention behind the thoughts I agree maybe there could be karma associated with the thoughts though I am not convinced about it, but I do not think that every thought has intention behind it, I know that not all of my thoughts have intention behind them.
    I would disagree, I am not even sure that there is a place for intention within the dharmic mind (though I know others would strongly disagree with this).

If I have the thought of shooting the barking dog that thought is negitavising, in and of itself. Sure, if I actually start to plan and intend to shoot the dog then there will be more negative fruit from that. And if I shoot the dog, even more so.

But it doesn't seem that there is a line in the sand where thoughts do or do not have karmic fruit.
    I mean we all at some point or other have had a thought that is stupid and irrational right, these type of thought have no intention behind them so these thoughts imo do not carry karma.
    Why would they not? Why cant they negitavise? Maybe they have positive karmic fruit because you deal with them skillfully?
    And the saying "what we think is what we become" is in my opinion simply not true, as I have mentioned earlier, there are people who have anxiety disorders, who think a lot of fearful and irrational thoughts, and I do not think that they become the thoughts that they think, so maybe "what we think is what we become" could be right for intentional thoughts, in my opinion for thoughts which have no intention or are irrational this statement is clearly not true.
    I disagree:) If I have negative irrational thoughts there is every possibility that thought thoughts will create negative karma. But the crucial point is that it is how I deal with those thoughts that matter. do I control them? extinguish them? Understand them and prevent them having negative effects, or do I let them run wild in my mind?

Negative thoughts are a sweeping torrent that "through endeavour... restraint and control the wise man can make an island which the flood will not sweep away" DP25

Well wishes

Actually (if you will pardon me pointing it out) this translation or interpretation is a poor one, and while common enough, it has been discredited.
    I don't mind you pointing it out at all, however, I find the notion of discrediting or affirming the accuracy any dharma text or translation itself to be meaningless. How can anyone possibly know what is accurate? What would that even mean for it to be accurate?
    It has been found by more erudite nad classic scholars than I that the translation I have given is far closer to the original pali text than the interpretation you gave. Take it up with the translators and scholars. I'm just pointing it out.
    I have many translations of the Dharmapada, in book and electronically, it amazes me how often they differ but the key point, imo, is that it just doesn't matter.
    It most certainly does matter if the original intention of the scripture in question, is distorted by the translation. Which it is...
    On a nitpicky point however, I'm not sure what the core difference of the translation you pasted is to what I was referring to?
    You do not become what you think.
    If you think negative, suffering will follow. if you think positive, happiness will follow.
    There is a subtle difference.
    it's not nitpicking to point out that a translation is faulty, if the interpreted meaning is different to what the original intends.

'Keep to the path' doesn't always mean 'don't walk on the grass'.

• Just a thought (pardon the pun), for people who believe that thought can have karma, you must think that people like Stephen king, who writes horror books and horror films accumulate a lot of negative karma :rolleyes:
    Again I am not convinced
    Imagining something horrific is not the same as harboring hatred or resentment. I'm sure Stephen King has no harmful intent. However, some people who are naturally violent or angry may experience thoughts of hatred or malice toward others that could definitely be detrimental to their mental state.

Also, you keep talking about not viewing one's thoughts as "good or bad." Which is fine because there no inherent goodness or badness in any thought. However, certain thoughts can be considered to be "UNSKILLFUL." Unskillful thoughts can lead to unskillful actions and words.

Again it is how we react to the thought that leads to unskillful actions not the thought itself.
  • There is no manifestation of any phenomena in the cosmos be it manifest in body, speech, or mind that is not conditioned by prior cause and is not itself the cause for future manifestation. Every action (in either body, speech, or mind) is subject to reaction. Every cause has an effect.

Karma means action. Every action is karma.
    Again I am not convinced

Again it is how we react to the thought that leads to unskillful actions not the thought itself.
    What is it that "reacts to the thought?"

• I disagree:) If I have negative irrational thoughts there is every possibility that thought thoughts will create negative karma. But the crucial point is that it is how I deal with those thoughts that matter. do I control them? extinguish them? Understand them and prevent them having negative effects, or do I let them run wild in my mind?

Negative thoughts are a sweeping torrent that "through endeavour... restraint and control the wise man can make an island which the flood will not sweep away" DP25

Well wishes

It is the attachment to the negative thoughts that result in the wild mind, not the thought itself. And understanding that thoughts are just thoughts we do not own our thoughts, and we should not judge them, and this allows us to deal with any thought without reacting in a positive or negative way. So for me no thought by itself can create karma.

Again I am not convinced

What is it that "reacts to the thought?"
    our mind reacts to thoughts, which in turn can lead to emotions and more thoughts arising, which in turn can lead to actions/ karma. Nip the thought in the bud in the first place by not reacting to it or judging it, then this does not happen.

• What do you mean "our mind reacts to thoughts?" How do thoughts come into contact with mind? Where is the mind in relation to thoughts? How can the mind interact with thoughts and in what way does it assert itself in determining how to react?
  • It has been found by more erudite nad classic scholars than I that the translation I have given is far closer to the original pali text than the interpretation you gave.,
    Maybe so - though my favourite translation is by E W Adikaram, a Sri Lankan Pali Scholar who spent twenty+ years on his translation. Nonetheless, in the preface to the book he goes to great lengths to point out that "This translation should therefore be taken only as a tentative aid." That is how I see all translations.

But imo, even if there was a definitive translation, the real issue as to the accuracy of any text is that we can never know how close the Pali text is to the teachings taught by the Buddha.

As said, this just doesn't matter to me, the DP is wonderful and wise and I am thankful for all the various translations, even if they sometimes seem at odds.
    It most certainly does matter if the original intention of the scripture in question, is distorted by the translation. Which it is...
    That is your opinion, mine is that it makes no sense to say it is or is not. We cannot know, nor do we need to know.

yeah, sorry. That's nonsense.
  • yeah, sorry. That's nonsense.
    Why?
  • yeah, sorry. That's nonsense.
    /whip

dam that stings :bawl:
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Perhaps I can bring another perspective to this discussion.

In my study of Islam (please keep reading), it was considered good/right to be able to control your action despite your mind. For instance, "getting angry and thinking about hitting someone yet showing the restraint to know this is wrong and unwise" was considered a good act. As in, Allah would smile upon you for showing restraint. Yet Christians put sin in thought. This is where I'm going to draw upon that thinking is more complicated than black/white as the Abrahamic religions have done.

Taking this over into Buddhism, we go further and seek to nullify unskillful thought through conditioning, but unless you are taught the ways of Buddhism from infancy, you will likely have developed a pattern of thought in which you allow unskillful thoughts to arise. You have conditioned your mind to allow thoughts of violence and other such unskillful acts/emotions to arise.

Now, you want to argue that such a thing is bad karma that these thoughts are arising, yet I want to argue that it is the ripening of karma. I believe that as Buddhists, we work against this conditioning and that is the ripening of the karma(us working against previous conditioning). Otherwise, without negative karma, there would be nothing to work against, therefore, no suffering from fighting these old thoughts.

For Imagery: We build our negative karma like a mountain. Negative thought is like dirt. Negative Action is like broken glass. It stands between us and our enlightenment. As Buddhists, we must work with our hands to remove it from our path. The dirt is exhausting and intimidating to remove, makes you want to stop. The broken glass in the mountain bites and stings and injures you.

Negative Early-life Thought(The Action) Conditions the Mind to Create Bad Thought. Two Results: You must work against this conditioning later on in life before it manifests into physical action(Result: Mental Suffering) or You continue to further this condition and indulge in the physical action, fruition of thought(Result: Mental and Physical Suffering).

Isn't this basic spiritual progress?

Makes sense to me to think about it in this way.
  • makes sense to me
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Well mindfulness teachings disagree with this, as they teach you to not judge your thoughts as good or bad, it teaches us to not react with happiness or sadness to our thoughts or become attached to our thoughts. Thats my understanding of it anyway.
    I think it also teaches that harboring angry thoughts is unskillful because if anger even arises, this is evidence that you are attached to your thoughts, etc. to begin with.

I would go on to say that the thought of "I hate my neighbor I want to hurt them", is itself, an unskillful reaction. A reaction to whatever your neighbor did that you didn't like, etc. The thought, is itself, the intentional act and thus has consequences. You're deliberately imagining hurting your neighbor. Of course a physical act would have graver consequences.

our mind reacts to thoughts, which in turn can lead to emotions and more thoughts arising, which in turn can lead to actions/ karma. Nip the thought in the bud in the first place by not reacting to it or judging it, then this does not happen.

As I see it, if you are now filled with rage and imagining hurting your neighbor, that means that you haven't nipped it in the bud. If you have rage, then you have already reacted and judged the initial thing that caused the anger to arise. You don't think?

Again I am not convinced
    No, no. You misunderstand what I'm trying to say, or more likely I'm saying it poorly. Stephen King's thoughts are, "I'm going to sit down and write an entertaining, scary story for people to enjoy."

I think my best shot of explaining how I see karma and thought is that even the act of thinking is an action, although a mental one, and thus not necessarily immune to karmic consequences. If a person starts daydreaming about winning the lottery, it might not matter at all. But if you start daydreaming about winning the lottery while driving a car, so you get in an accident, then obviously your thoughts had consequences. What goes on in your mind is not separate from what is going on around you. That doesn't mean we're saying bad thoughts are bad karma, only that even such an empty thing as thoughts and emotions can have consequences beyond your conscious mind acting on them.

• If you absolutely hate your neighbor but you don't actually do anything about that, I think that would still have consequences. Simply having that in your mind has consequences of it's own regardless if you act on it or not.
    I agree, but people rarely keep such thoughts to themselves. This is why negative thoughts can be harmful. If a person hates their neighbor, they often share these negative thoughts with other neighbors and friends. They sow discord and cause others to hate the neighbor, too. People underestimate the power of thoughts and the words that result from them. Many people measure harm by physical action. As long as they didn't touch the person physically- they've done nothing wrong. Plus, they feel clever- they were able to hurt the person without it appearing that way.

As I see it, there are at least 3 injured parties- 1) the person who had the thoughts and spoke of them, 2) the person who was the object of the hatred,
    and 3) the person who listened to the negative thoughts expressed in words.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Anger is created by a view first. And next a view decides if you should act on your anger or if it is something passing that you need not act on. Thus the mind is a contributing factor to action.

You could say only actions produce karma, but that would be like saying only shooting produces baskets in basketball. It is true, but there is preperatory conditions for the shooting of baskets.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    I think we need to distinguish between thought and intention and emotion.

"That makes me so angry(emotion). I just want to punch that man(intention)."(Thought #1)

"That makes me so angry(emotion). (Let's the emotion fade without giving rise to intent.)"(Thought #2)

Both are thoughts. One has an attached intention. One has no attached intention. You don't have to act on the intention though.

I am on the standpoint that having the intent or fantasy of an action is negative karma. You have become attached to the emotion and given rise to a response. If you merely observe the emotion, watching it come and go, then I would say that is practicing non-attachment and thus positive karma.

Be like a pipe, not a bucket. Let emotion flow through you, not fill and spill out of you. Haha

• I don't think "mental karma" is too hard to understand. Any change or harm you cause to yourself or others through your mental actions is mental karma. Any "mental" action where "change" is the result that is mental karma.

metta
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    I don't think "mental karma" is too hard to understand. Any change or harm you cause to yourself or others through your mental actions is mental karma. Any "mental" action where "change" is the result that is mental karma.

metta
    Keeping it simple. :)

edited June 2011
    What do you mean "our mind reacts to thoughts?" How do thoughts come into contact with mind? Where is the mind in relation to thoughts? How can the mind interact with thoughts and in what way does it assert itself in determining how to react?
    Our mind does react to thoughts, for instance when a thought arises into the mind, the mind can become attached to the thought. following its story, questioning why the thought arised etc etc, resulting in more and more thoughts arising from the initial thought giving the thought and its story more and more energy, or the mind can just be aware of the thought be aware of it arising and then falling without getting involved with its story, and therefore stopping other thoughts from arising.

For me it I think when we allow ourself to react or become attached to our thoughts, then it is indeed possible to have mental karma. For example if I had a thought that could be viewed as upsetting, then if I become attached to this thought, then subsequent thoughts may arise such as, why did I have this thought, whats wrong with me, etc etc then it is clear that this could easily spiral out of control and cause a lot of mental anguish and suffering.
    However if I do not allow myself to become attached to the initial thought, just be aware of it arising and then falling, be aware that it is just a thought, it is up to me If I give it significance or energy, then I have no chance to get into the subsequent thought process that can lead to mental suffering.

So again I do not think that thoughts can actually create karma its our reaction to them which does this.

Having said all of this, I think especially for a lay Buddhist there is no doubt that becoming attached to our skillfull thoughts, such as in metta meditation, that tremendous benefit can be found.
    So for a lay Buddhist I think its best to become unattached to our unskillful thoughts and attached to our skillfull thoughts. If that makes sense :rolleyes:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    if someone is really full of rage and has a thought about an act of violence, but would never actually carry it out, do you think there would be some sort of intention here and hence do you think there would be karma associated with this type of thought.
    hi

my view is it is certainly karma because it has a result...it keeps the mind disturbed...but it is just 'mental karma'. in other words, it does not fall into the sphere of 'morality'

regards :)