Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Music meditation

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Can listening to mild music, like classical, be a form of meditation? Instead of getting absorbed in the breath, we're getting absorbed in sounds. So would that help?

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    I find certain types of music to be highly meditative, betaboy. But one of the ten precepts is to not distract oneself with music. (I happen to disagree, but it depends on the music. Some, clearly, is more conducive to spiritual inspiration than other types.) I think whatever works is ok, but the good, old-fashioned silent meditation is a good fundamental practice to retain while occasionally doing other types of meditation for inspiration.

Silent meditation is more conducive to going within, observing oneself, and getting certain types of insights.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Dakini where did yo read that not listening to buddhism is one of the 10 precepts? Is that within the Theravadan tradition? My sangha has liturgy set to music.
  • This is something I have thought about before. I would love for it to be the same thing because Ill be honest, listening to music is a lot more fun :)

But I think its not the same thing as watching the breath. I think its more of a distraction to keep your mind busy. I think when you listen to music your mind flows whereas when you watch the breath your mind becomes still.

It would be the same as asking "can I watch some timelapse videos while meditating", it would surely be relaxing and inspiring but I dont think it is equivalent to breathing meditation. Breathing meditation is all about stillness and observing what pops up rather than artificially introducing what you would like to see/hear.
  • The thing about listening to music is that it is considered a sensual pleasure, and any time you are delighting in a sensual pleasure, your mind is effected by craving, and any time your mind is effected by craving, you are causing suffering for yourself.
    So, if your goal is to practice the meditation, and enter profound states of awareness, it is probably recommended that you do not listen to music. In fact, in order to enter the first jhana, one is said to have to be secluded from unwholesome states, and secluded from sensual pleasures.
    With that said, the choice is really yours. No one is forcing you to give up music, but it's definitely recommended that, if you want to meditate successfully, you do so.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    *music* rather than buddhism in my post a few up
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Dakini where did yo read that not listening to buddhism is one of the 10 precepts? Is that within the Theravadan tradition? My sangha has liturgy set to music.
    Here you go, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Precepts

The Ten Precepts (Pali: dasasila or samanerasikkha) refer to the precepts (training rules) for Buddhist samaneras (novice monks) and samaneris (novice nuns). They are used in most Buddhist schools.

1.Refrain from killing living things.
    2.Refrain from stealing.
    3.Refrain from un-chastity (sensuality, sexuality, lust).
    4.Refrain from lying.
    5.Refrain from taking intoxicants.
    6.Refrain from taking food at inappropriate times (after noon).
    7.Refrain from singing, dancing, playing music or attending entertainment programs (performances).
    8.Refrain from wearing perfume, cosmetics and garland (decorative accessories).
    9.Refrain from sitting on high chairs and sleeping on luxurious, soft beds.
    10.Refrain from accepting money.

Number 7 seems to be mostly about entertainment, many Buddhist rituals use music of some sort so not sure how far that one goes.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    We'v'e had a couple of threads on this. It's in the 2nd 5 of the precepts. But of course, Tibetan ceremonies use music, and there are popular Tibetan singers, and I'm sure there are forms of music in some other traditions. The general consensus after discussing the prohibition on music was that there's music, and then there's music. There's music that's conducive to spiritual contemplation, and there's music that's a distraction. Anything conducive to spiritual contemplation is fair game, IMO.