Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

This is test.

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    ButterflyRiggs...
    I have copied and pasted your recipe in the 'Favourite recipes (vegetarian)' thread, in the Lotus Lounge. Hope this is ok... I'll give it a day or two, then delete this post...:)
  • edited January 2006
    Somebody explain to this code handicapped poster what to do besides BOLD so that others can read. please.

Unless of course it was already posted, in which case it will be found later. thanks.
  • edited January 2006
    The button between the "underline" and the "link," in the "quick reply" window, allows different text colors to be chosen. There are more choices in the "Go Advanced" reply window.

It's a mystery why black isn't the default color.
  • edited January 2006
    The problem is throughout the forum. It's very difficult for these eyes to make out the gray text that's everywhere, particularly when it's made even lighter to indicate a link that's already been followed.
  • edited January 2006
    We're not demanding, are we? It's just a debate board and a change of font.

(size 3 for the hell of it)
  • edited January 2006
    Now! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Again, as I don't have those kinds of admin. abilities, i would contact Brian or Matt via PM's and see if they can do something about it.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:
    ................ there are MANY statements on this forum that are false and need to be challenged.

Personally, I find the lack of follow-up to this statement far more interesting than typeface, size or colour!

Which statements, Kowtaaia? Many?
  • edited January 2006
    Personally, I find the lack of follow-up to this statement far more interesting than typeface, size or colour!

Which statements, Kowtaaia? Many?

Well, don't take anything personally, especially if you are going to debate. You're not going to get a list. There was a wait period, to see if a debate board was going to materialize. We're beginning to lightly challenge. Be carefull what you wish for.
  • edited January 2006
    means...

kowtaaia who was
    termite who was
    zenmonk who was
    beebuddy who was

Old home, new home?
  • edited January 2006
    Somehow I couldn't imagine that you didn't get the memo.
  • edited January 2006
    Nice pectorals in the avatar BTW.:usflag:
  • edited January 2006
    Yeah, I got the memo, but am rethinking whether I want to participate here.

Those aren't my pecs, lol. That's the Bollywood actor Nagarjuna, juxtoposed with his namesake. If I'd posted a shirtless pic of myself, even with beads strategically arranged, it might have caused a stir.
  • edited January 2006
    :)
    edited January 2006
    Samagri wrote:
    Yeah, I got the memo, but am rethinking whether I want to participate here.

...And that would be... because.....? :)
  • edited January 2006
    I'm a girl.
    edited January 2006
    So am I..... where's the problem?
  • edited January 2006
    Aren't girls supposed to be in the kitchen or something?:rocker: :cheer: lol
  • edited January 2006
    I thought you were referring to the 'shirtless' comment.

As for where "the problem" is, if and when I feel like sharing my opinion on that with you, I will. For now, I have only an initial impression, too soon to tell. I'll lurk for a while.
  • edited January 2006
    Well Nagarjuna sure has well developed pectorals. :wow:
  • edited January 2006
    beebuddy wrote:
    Well Nagarjuna sure has well developed pectorals. :wow:

Empty. She Who Is hiding behind them has a warped sense of humor. :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2006
    QUOTE from another thread:
    federica wrote:
    Yes, but now that you've granted his wish, it must mean that your wish-facility is more powerful than his, thereby rendering his wish-power redundant and thus immaterial....

I wish that I knew where this game was going to....

edited January 2006
    :lol:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2006
    For now there will be no debate thread on this site, as it does not serve the original goals I set forth for this site. This community was developed to help beginners to buddhism have a safe, comfortable place to ask questions and learn the very basics about buddhism - especially for people who come from theistic and/or western backgrounds.
  • edited January 2006
    Thank you for your reply. Will you concede that "debate" is a natural result of conversation about Buddha and Buddhism? There seems to be a growing sentiment that any disagreement whatsoever is not allowed at this site which is not humanly possible.

P.S. There is no wish to "rock the boat" for it's own sake.
  • edited January 2006
    Just looked, a fellow Cancerian. :)
  • edited January 2006
    All well and good until a "beginner" posts that they are in a quandary because they have read in one sutta that it is the self that achieves enlightenment and in another sutta that the self is an illusion. Both views are held by 'Buddhists'. How is it possible to discuss the contradiction if debate is not allowed? On the After Death thread, it's clear that there are opposing views on what rebirth actually is. Is the subject to be verboten, because people have opposing views. Remember, 'debate' is only discussion involving opposing points. It's not the BogeyMan. :)

edited January 2006
    beebuddy wrote:
    Thank you for your reply. Will you concede that "debate" is a natural result of conversation about Buddha and Buddhism? There seems to be a growing sentiment that any disagreement whatsoever is not allowed at this site which is not humanly possible.

P.S. There is no wish to "rock the boat" for it's own sake.

Sure, there's no concession necessary, because I never said that debate wasn't a natural result, etc. I fully agree with you. However, it doesn't serve the goals of this site.

Growing sentiment? I don't see it. I see two new users who really want to debate.

Disagreement? Disagreement and structured debate are two different things. Disagree all you want. I'm just saying that if you want to debate buddhism, there are other sites for that.

This site is for people who think things like:

"Isn't Buddha the fat guy at chinese restaurants?"
    "Buddhists have to shave their heads and set themselves on fire, right?"
    "Buddha is a god and buddhists worship his statue"
    "Buddhists are those people who hand out flyers at airports with the bad haircuts"
    "Buddhists are cult members"

etc. Scholarly debate about topics that only people who are familiar with buddhism would participate in really don't do anything other than scare people like the above off.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with debate. I'm simply saying that this isn't the place for it.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I don't believe there is a growing sentiment that no form of disagreement is allowed.

I know there are things that I disagree with regarding the Path Simon is on, Palzang is on, Elohim is on, ZenMonk is on, etc.

But, there is a difference between posting your difference in beliefs and going on and on and on regarding syntax and semantics with posts that are filled with rhetoric and spiteful sarcasm.

Even just now - the owner of the site has made his wishes known and you try to engage him in yet another debate with you asking him to concede some point to you.

There are no points to be gained here. Share your knowledge and respect others is, I believe, the gist of this site.

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    You mean Buddha isn't the fat guy? :)
    edited January 2006
    Ooops.

Sorry... didn't know Brian had popped back in.

I'll shut my yap now.

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    I think the title of the site says it all really. As Brian states, it's for people new to Buddhism to ask questions without the very real risk of being shot down in flames (as I've seen happen on other sites).
    Don't get me wrong, I've actually enjoyed reading some of the stuff that's been flying backwards and forwards the last couple of days. It's made me think closely about what I believe and understand. It's always good to have your assertions challenged (although it's not necessarily a pleasant process) so that you can really get to grips with your views and change them if they prove to be incorrect. Z_G highlighted this in his "Bad Boys" thread.
    And yes, for this reason debate is good and healthy, but not here. For things like that I pop on over to e-Sangha where there is always something being debated!! :winkc:
  • edited January 2006
    Brian,

So what happens when you find out that it is actually Hare Krishna's that pass out flyers at the airport? Move on to another forum because you have learned all there is to learn within the contraints of this forum? Or do you graduate to official "newbuddhist forum teacher" status just because you know a few historical facts? My guess is that that sounds as silly to you as it does to me.

Again, "rocking the boat" is never done for it's own sake. Also, holding others to high standards (what you called 'formal debate') is part of a learning process that has VERY much to do with Buddhism. This isn't merely rhetoric it's what right speech and right thought is all about.

edited January 2006
    Yes, if one single person learns one single thing, then I have fulfilled my promise to myself to help dispel ignorance. If all a person takes from their visit to this site is that they learn the difference between hare krishna and buddhism, then I have done my job. Is there something wrong with that?

I don't know what you want me to tell you. I am not interested in arguing these points with you. You seem to love argument. E-Sangha is probably a grand place for you to hang out. Or start your own site and you can have whatever you'd like :)
  • edited January 2006
    ""Is there something wrong with that?""

Of course not, there is something wrong with expecting discussion to end there and cease to evolve.
  • edited January 2006
    Brian,

Basically your message has thus far been "you are not welcome here". If that is so then ban "beebuddy" immediately and there will be one less bee in your bonnet.
    edited January 2006
    nope, you're totally wrong. If that's all you took out of my posts, then I am sorry for the way you are interepreting my words. Also, I don't ban on request. If you want to be 'banned' then simply cease coming to the site, it's much easier.

I'm done with this conversation. To summarize: You think I am ignorant and a bad site admin, and I think that a specific debate area is against the basic principles of my site. This is a matter of opinion and thus cannot be argued, not to mention that this is not a democracy and if you don't like my site you have the easy choice of not typing "newbuddhist.com" in your web browser. Oh the power of technology :)
  • edited January 2006
    typing "newbuddhist.com" in your web browser. Oh the power of technology

Here's some helpful advice: Just put it in "LINKS", so you don't have to type it each time. :) This is not up for debate!
    edited January 2006
    I know there are things that I disagree with regarding the Path Simon is on, Palzang is on, Elohim is on, ZenMonk is on, etc.

How can anyone possibly disagree with Simon, he's rationality and fairness combined. How could anyone be at once so erudite and "cool?"
    edited January 2006
    Nirvana wrote:
    How can anyone possibly disagree with Simon, he's rationality and fairness combined. How could anyone be at once so erudite and "cool?"

How can I disagree with Simon?

It's easy!

I just think of how much more life experiences Simon has had than I. How he's read and lived and investigated and pursued and dreamed and wept much more than I.

I can disagree with him because I haven't learned all the lessons he has.

I'll get there though :)

-bf
    edited January 2006
    GREAT ANSWER, BUDDHAFOOT!

Ya know, yer purty kool yusself!