Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In your own words, How can meditation help change your life? And has it changed yours??

edited June 2011 in Meditation
Meditation Teacher Dipa Ma says goes on like meditation can make us the happiest person in the world..
Even after deaths of her children and then husband, she claimed she was very happy because of meditating..

How has meditation helped you?

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Check this wonderful biography on her: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipa_Ma
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Well, I don't meditate often, but I do try to be mindful (in a Buddhist sense) as much as possible. It has certainly cooled down my temper. I remember the days when I would get in a traffic jam and be pounding the steering wheel and cursing. Now I just...well, again, meditate would not be an accurate description...but I try to remain mindful and keep thinking Buddhist thoughts. That's just an example.
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    Well, I don't meditate often, but I do try to be mindful (in a Buddhist sense) as much as possible. It has certainly cooled down my temper. I remember the days when I would get in a traffic jam and be pounding the steering wheel and cursing. Now I just...well, again, meditate would not be an accurate description...but I try to remain mindful and keep thinking Buddhist thoughts. That's just an example.
    I'm similar, while I don't meditate often I try to keep the sense of mind as much as I can.
  • I guess meditation has helped separate "me" (awareness) from the voice in the head.

I'm now more an active observer of the voice in the head rather than the voice itself. "Oh, there's the irritated voice in the head being activated" - "Wee, there's the happy kind voice popping up" etc. etc.

Once you kind of realize you're not the voice in your head you can sit back and watch your conditioned mind and how it responds to phenomena. Seeing that you are thus able to change how you respond and interact with the world.

• edited June 2011
    Thus I have Heard, when one meditate, it goes right directly into the happy soul of all beings, do you not dearly feel the happy soul in you and all beings! If not, plse start to meditate. Most living beings would not be able to dissolve its entanglement of its mind that gradually stigmatized along the path of materialism. It makes him/her become super hardcore "drug" addict on secular identities. They would not be able to merge their true love to live peacefully, harmoniously with beings and non-beings. Meditation make the real super love, the love beyond life & death. As an example, you find peace when you sleep becos the whole world existing peacefully and blissfully. Likewise to meditation, the whole world in you become so bliss, peace and at least, your energy is conserved on meditation instead of drugs, alcohol, smoking which make you healthier and environmentally happier. That is only sharing with you the joys of many meditationalists who are experiencing great joys. It also directly aides the nature preservation by unintentionally exhausting lesser resources consumed, because when you meditate, your stomach and instaneous urge of having vices, drugs etc are replaced with the meditation. For instance, when fren of the Christian faith "praise lord", they just couldn't think of non joys. Just to mention a few wholesome benefits of meditation, factually, the elaboration of its wellness is endless and boundless on all the beauty and joys of meditation, you could only experience it yourself. Even the dead also enjoys liberation, needless to mention the living like you, having a conscious mind and body. May the merit of this shallow sharing (if any) goes to all beings and to a peace world of living and enjoying together :thumbsup:
  • I have just recently (last couple months) started daily meditations in the mornings and it has had a profound impact on my life. It has greatly decreased the amount of stress and anger I have inside me. Also the practice of mindfulness and having the right view has become much more consistent and effortless. With that consistency, I've noticed the rest of the eightfold path is almost automatic and equally effortless.
    I admit that I miss sessions a couple times a week because of work and that my sessions are usually only 10-20 minutes long and only sometimes twice a day but the effects of this practice is still profound. I highly recommend committing to at least a week of this practice to see the effects for yourselves.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I have been enjoying meditation more in part because I have been creating a better environment somehow, well maybe I didn't do it it just sort of ripened. And I think that the desired effects of meditation for me are letting go of distressing entanglements and seeing them and having sort of a cessation of the mind that analyzes for moments and sort of seeing into situations as the body feeling unwinds and facets of the situation become apparent. Also just peace and enjoyment of the environment.
  • Its hard to explain. Every time I meditate, my internal happiness is increased. My internal happiness is something that is mentally stored and used throughout my life till the day I submit to impermanence.

May you all be free of suffering.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    I am more patient.
    Inspiring lady, thanks.
  • Check this wonderful biography on her: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipa_Ma
    Hehe.. Of course I've already looked her up on wiki!! First thing you do. :)
  • Thanks everyone! Nice answers x
  • How has meditation helped you?
    It helped me grow my heart. It helps me cultivate growing my heart.:buck:
    I guess meditation has helped separate "me" (awareness) from the voice in the head.

I'm now more an active observer of the voice in the head rather than the voice itself. "Oh, there's the irritated voice in the head being activated" - "Wee, there's the happy kind voice popping up" etc. etc.

Once you kind of realize you're not the voice in your head you can sit back and watch your conditioned mind and how it responds to phenomena. Seeing that you are thus able to change how you respond and interact with the world.

Where do you think these voices are coming from?
    What do you think they are?
  • @LeonBasin

- Where do you think these voices are coming from?

I guess one could say the voices in the head would be a reflection of my current mind/mood/emotional state which is then dependent upon my past actions?

- What do you think they are?

The mind trying to write a story and conceptualize as to what is appearing in front of it?

These would be my intellectual responses.

In truth, I don't know. lol

• How has meditation helped you?
    Happier, more comfortable with myself, find interacting with people easier and more enjoyable, fading of attachments to worldly stuff (saving a bit of money in the process :) ) and attachments to people too (although less so, that's a tougher one), more able to appreciate people without a shed load of expectations attached.

Weirdly advertising seems to have lost much of it's power. And I find lots of TV programmes and movies I would have watched in the past unappealing now.

So fewer headaches and heartaches! And less money spent on future land fill :p

Still a long way to go, but lots of good stuff

I don't think just reading/studying would have created so many benefits, although it's important. Meditation has been key.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Makes sense TiaP
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    After seeing alot of people say how it has positively affected their lives, I feel like I should try to meditate everyday even if it's only for about 10 minutes.
  • Makes sense TiaP
    agree!!

Thankd all.
  • After seeing alot of people say how it has positively affected their lives, I feel like I should try to meditate everyday even if it's only for about 10 minutes.
    When I started out it was only 5 minutes every day, so 10 is great :)
  • RicRic
    edited June 2011
    Im surprised that quite a few ppl here dont meditate everyday. I thought it was kinda of a pre-req.

I have to say I have a hard time with meditation, but I keep on because I know eventually ill persevere and it will become easier.

I started with 10 min and moved on to 20 min unsuccessfully, so im dialing it back to 15min.
    I am more patient.
    Inspiring lady, thanks.
    Welcome!
    There is a video of her on Google Video! 40 min or so.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Im surprised that quite a few ppl here dont meditate everyday. I thought it was kinda of a pre-req.
    Keep in mind that this board consists of many lay followers, beginners, and all different sects of Buddhism. Many people are just learning and starting out so they don't have a formal meditation practice, or simply utilize Buddhists teachings for their own personal beliefs. We have all types here!