Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Lydia, oh Lydia, say have you met Lydia...."

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited May 2005 in General Banter
I have Buddhist tattoos....am I the first? Don't ask me to post pic's. it's not that I'm falsely modest...it's that I am a tecckie doofus and wouldn't have the foggiest clue how to even go about it...... :o:lol:

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2005
    I don't have any tattoos. What are the tattoos of?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    One is of a Blue Lotus bloom, and is on my upper left chest, just below the shoulder, (that took over two hours, and really affected my meridians, I can tell you! More of this later.....! ;) ) and the other is a stylized star, in black and grey, on my upper right arm, also just beneath the shoulder. Both are a representation of Green Tara. She's my fave bitch.....! :lol:

(sorry about the lapse in time in posting this reply, but we live on opposite sides of the Pond, so the time difference is quite marked....I went to bed five minutes after posting the above..... :) )
  • edited March 2005
    Hi, I have tattoos from my life in the past and wouldnt change them for anyone, I was seriously considering getting a tattoo of the chinese character for chi. It is a representation of steam rising from a bowl of rice. I intend getting it in the appropriate place, between the navel and the genitals, that being the physical centre of our being and I an told, the place where our chi resides. I, like yourself Federica am curious as to what people think of tattoos and their place in our lives.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    thers two are not the only ones I have, but they are more readily visible than others.... ;)
    I read this notice in a tattoo parlour in the uk once:
    "The difference between those people with tattoos and those without, is that those with tattoos don't care if you don't have any....!" It seems people are quite divided, although responses to mine have never been negative.
  • edited March 2005
    i don't have any tattoo's . i thought about it many times but i'm so non-commital about things.
    my tastes change all the time. i know i could never pick something out of one of the display books. i've always looked for meaningful images and such but nothing ever stuck. now, i think the older i get that i'll never get one.:(
    edited March 2005
    Look - I'm 48 and I haven't finished yet....and of al the tattoos I have, only two are from the tattoo studio's catalogue - all the others I designed myself. I'm not trying to imply that I'm covered from head to foot. They're all delicate, small and discrete.... so there's hope for you yet - ! :lol:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2005
    well, i myself have 7 tattoos. all meaning various things. having tattoos and being buddhist isn't a big deal. it's not like they believe a god will be angry for desecrating the body. i think it's fine as long as you don't get them for the sole purpose of showing them off, and feeling incredibley cool and sexy. then this will only make you more attached to the body and strengthen the ego. in thailand, many monks get tattoos. the most of them are of tigers because the thai's believe tigers are their protectors. they also have special nick names for monks with tatoos. i'm not sure about other traditions, but the body is impermanent so after it disolves, what does it really matter? i like to meditate while getting them done, on the pain, the ceasing of pain, the feelings of the body, and such. i try to do the same at the dentist, but that is much harder.
    edited March 2005
    I know what you mean about the pain; I tell myself "this too shall pass." It's only temporary, as is everything. Mind you, I have heard of people using cured tattooed skin as parchment to cover books! YEUGH!!
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited April 2005
    I got a tattoo after my first son was born. I was 31. It is a tribal sun with a yin-yang in the center. It's on the outside of my right, upper calf. It represents my son. My second son was born last july, and I'll be getting a new one when I have the money. It'll be another sun, but a different style, and i think I'll have the om symbol in the center. I think I'll have it on my left upper arm.
  • edited April 2005
    I have a couple tattoos, on my shoulder a butterfly with two lilies. And a ladybug on my foot. Thinking about getting another. I love tattoos.
  • edited May 2005
    Hello to All!

I want to say hello to everyone; I just got back today from camping this weekend at Our Haven. We had a great time; I know that Dad was there with me, too. :) It was such a special time for all of us and it was a great Beltaine festival.

Talk about COLD! YIKES, it was cold! It got nice during the day (except for Saturday since it rained). but it really dropped at night. I was so glad that there was plenty of hot water to shower with! LOL! :lol::lol: We still had a wonderful time and it was nice to catch up to old friends I haven't seen in some time.

Speaking about tattoos---I have three. On my upper right bicep is a tattoo of four scrolls bearing the names of my three kids and my late husband. In the middle of the four scrolls is a picture of the sun with a cross. On my derriere on the left side is tattooed "Harley Honey" and on the right side is tattooed "Biker Babe." I designed all three tattoos myself. I am currently deciding on what I want to put on my upper left bicep; I have been thinking about having the same tattoo as the one on my right bicep but having the four scrolls read Nam Myoho Renge Kyo with the yin-yang symbol in the middle of the four scrolls. I am still deciding. LOL! :lol::lol::lol:

Adiana
  • edited May 2005
    While I do not have any tattoos, I am sure you are not the first to have Buddhist images. Not asking for pics, ;) but I am sure they are very nice.

Flyte534