Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and Addictions

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited June 2011 in Meditation
What form of meditation have people found to be most effective with addictions? Without going into detail, I have been using loving kindness and had some good results in the past, but cravings have returned. Is there a regimen that consistently works?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I would think that the cravings would almost always return, at least periodically. At a time like that, mindfulness meditation (even briefly while in the midst of a craving) would help. It appears from what you write that you don't act on the cravings. How do you do that?

I use mindfulness and relaxation during panic attacks. I just let them be. Sometimes I lie down and use mindfulness.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    Hello:

Depends on the addiction.
    Unless its related to some strong lust, loving kindness should be one of the best meditations.

Anyways, how you practice is the most important matter. Metta can be practiced in 100000 ways with 10000 different results.

• I don't act on the addiction because I keep something more important to me in mind. Something I value above the payoff. Not always successful but it does work most of the time.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i quit smoking a while ago (who knows, maybe a year now? i've forgotten.) but i wouldn't really say i did it "through meditation," it might be more appropriate to say that i did it through mindfulness. when you are dealing with a chemical addiction, cravings can come at any time, not just times when we are able to stop and meditate. when the cravings would come, i would simply acknowledge them and strengthen my resolve not to give in. i suppose, i could say it's very similar to what i do with thoughts during meditation. i don't engage them, i simply acknowledge them and let them pass. you can't suppress them, they will definitely come from time to time, it's better to just let it go.

i hope this is helpful and good luck on your recovery. even now, cravings still come from time to time for me but i still employ this simple strategy and i have not slipped up once. i just remind myself that it is the workings of an addictive drug on my mind and my resolve is stronger than that.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Walking meditation might help because part of changing a craving is a lot of emotional energy. In that state of mind one exists at the boundary of drinking and not drinking. Being a drinker and not being a drinker. Smoking too. Any time there is uncertainty what you are and lack of clarity on that there will also be emotional energy. The tendency is to shut down that emotionality somehow which causes suffering. Mindfulness meditation could help but if it devolves into should and shouldn't or observed and unobserved I don't think it would be a way to dance with the energy.

For this reason I recommend a lightness and kindness/understanding in conjuction with existing in the space of the craving. Notice that the craving doesn't fill your whole awareness and that it has a texture and energy dynamic. With love notice your habitual thoughts. You could be going wild mentally.

Walking meditation could break up closed off energy by getting your body moving. Small things to lift your mood could help too. Looking out the window, petting your cat. Lighting incense, listening to soothing music.

• Hi Allbuddha Bound,
    zazen, anapanasati, walking :buck:
  • You need to find lots and lots of things to do. Keep yourself preoccupied. You could read and learn about Buddhism for example. Think about your foundations. Are you fully happy and secure? Work on these first if necessary, and prioritize. Try to fit meditation into your busy schedule. Keep awareness in check at all times, and try not to think too much as it might lead you to boredom. Boredom will usually put us back into means of relieving it. Learn to live with boredom, that is the ticket. Good luck to you.

With Metta
    SS
  • If you have time to get high, you have time to meditate.