Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's Wrong With Paganism?

edited February 2006 in Faith & Religion
These are only MY opinions and observations and before I start I wish to say that I have met very spiritual, devoted pagans who practice their beliefs with deep sincerity. I am not "having a go", just stating the way of things as I see them.

Neo-paganism is unusual in that we are still within the lifetime of the founding members - Doreen Valiente who was the original High Priestess of Gerald Gardener and who wrote "The Charge of the Goddess" died only a couple of years ago. But we also have new people coming into the craft who have swallowed a lot of the rubbish that is talked about continual threads and think they are practicing some very ancient religion.

How close are we? Some of them are still around and we can talk to them. This puts neo-paganism in a very different league from the more established ones. But even so, there have been immense splits, schisms and divisions in the 50-odd years since Gerald Gardener and his mates decided to break away and create their own tradition. Well has it been said that rather than Wicca and Witchcraft we practice Bicker and Bitchcraft.

Gerald Gardener begat neo paganism the way that Tolkein begat the Middle Earth and all the fantasy literature that has come from it. He was a freemason and interested in ancient religions so he invented a religion that used recurring themes from ancient times, such as the Matriarchal system and the sacrificed god/king. The rituals he wrote were lifted in part, sometimes in great chunks from Masonic ritual. Many of the beloved pagan symbols are Masonic.

Why did he do it? That I cannot answer - maybe he felt a need for a new and wilder spirituality, maybe, as suggested, he fancied a legover with the (inevitably young and good looking) High Priestesses he initiated. But the intention was laid down that, although there would be no Holy Book, the principles of neo-paganism would be accepted and followed by those who wished to call themselves disciples of the new religion (or the Old Religion as they chose to call it).

I am old enough to remember pictures of Alex and Maxine Saunders splashed over the News of the World in Hollywood style costumes declaring themselves the King and the Queen of Witches. Why that word was chosen in the first place I fail to understand other than it was guaranteed to put up the backs of the establishment.

And so the first schism was born and Wicca divided itself into Gardnerian and Alexandrian. Having realised that this was possible, other divisions came thick and fast until we now find that neo-paganism is a hotch potch of "None of the Above". Do come and join in - there are no rules except that (usually) you should bad mouth christians and go on about the Burning Times (which didn't in fact happen). Choose whichever pantheon you want to worship, mix them up if you like, there are no rules and no strictures, no discipline and just do what you like and call yourself a pagan. It will make you terribly interesting and give you a marvellous excuse to wear lots of clanky jewellery and really stinky perfume.

Unfortunately this has coincided (or maybe been brought about by) masses of teenagers watching TV programmes and deciding this is "cool". If I read one more time on a pagan website "Hi my name's Willow Moondrip Pixietears and I think the Goddess is just soo coooool and I love everyone and I just bought this really cooooool robe to wear for my rituals " It's fluff. It's all playacting and dressing up and ignores all the darker side of life. No wonder that some of us older and grumpier practitioners call the Fluffbunnies.

I watched a programme the other night where a christian priest was amused and condescending about the "pick and mix" pagans ... and I had to agree with him. As I have posted in another thread, go buy a book, spend masses of money on gee gaws and you too can be a Real Life Witch with no mental or spiritual effort whatsoever.

Sad. Very sad. The meditation and physical endurance we had to do is gone. Oh I dare say there are some souls out there who still practice it - disicipline and such like nasty words. But the worst thing is - they are getting entrenched - from the nice people who brought you "Do as you will" comes the phrase "You MUST believe". The fluffy gals who wanted to love everyone are ganging up together and telling other fluffy girls that they are WRONG.

My concept of the Goddess and the Horned Lord were a human attempt to visualise the force of Nature, represented as a female and male form to bring home to us the absolute truth that the world itself could not exist without either. Human beings not having much ability to visualise, we create representations - and we choose to attribute the Moon to the Mother and the Sky to the Father to help us remember where we come for and to aid our concentration. When I look in the sky at night I still say " I greet my Mother in the sky in all her beauty" because the Moon is the symbol of the Goddess, the Force of Nature, the energy that brings tidal waves, earthquakes and makes a blade of grass push its way through concrete.

I did not see the Goddess as a real human woman with pearls in her hair and a figure to die for - that was an abstraction to aid my visualisation. That was my interpretation after much meditation on the subject. But I am told by other people that I am WRONG. The Goddess exists and is real and I must bow down and worship her. That is their right, to believe that, but not to force that belief on others.

So here we have them, Faery Wicca, Seax Wicca, Norse, North American tradition (who have never been out of Northampton), Shaman, the part-time dragons and not forgetting the good old ecclectics .... the "I made it all up myself so I can't be wrong" brigade. All swearing that they can trace their line directly back to Atlantis, or Egypt, or Stonehenge. And the inherited - those who can swear that their female line back four or five generations were all witches .... who would not have been able to admit that, for fear of prosecution or persecution by their neighbours. And of course the "from a long line of" are far superior to the newbies, who are frantically searching their family trees for a mad great aunt who can be passed off as a witch.

I leave the Druids out of this because theirs is a religion apart and of all the pagans might have some call on an unbroken line - even if during a long period they existed only in their bardic and not sacerodotal purpose.

I point out that I am speaking only of paganism in Europe - the North Americans have their own line unbroken and honoured - their land, their animal totems, their culture.

In the time that Buddhism has existed it has developed out into different traditions from different countries (as I understand it) but all of them hold to the principles of the original teaching. Neo paganism has picked up the DIY ball and run with it - run far, far away from it's origins.

Blessed Be (actually borrowed from St Ann's mass - not a traditonal witch's greeting!)

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Knitwitch,

Yes, I would certainly have to agree with much of what you've said. Those are some of the very reasons why I am no longer a "Pagan". I especially like how Alex "borrowed" from Gerald, who "borrowed" from Aleister, who "borrowed" heavily from Eliphas [one of my personal favorites], etc. etc. Yesh! My old teacher has recently been initiated into both the Gardnerian and Alexandrian traditions. Ha! It's funny cause they're almost like the same damn thing!

To me, sectarianism is a complete waste of my time. I have no need of such nonsense. Even so, there are many things that I still admire about my previous faith [for lack of a better word]. I cannot completely forget my Pagan past. I spent damn near a decade practicing the "Old Ways". They happen to be some of the fondest memories of my life. In the end, however, when I look past all the good times, the fond memories, the thrills, the excitement, the passion, the studying, and the practice itself, it was merely a stepping stone in my search--not the final Goal.

Jason
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks for posting that Knitwitch. I'm glad I'm not the only one that got irritated by the fluffbunnies! :)

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what I used to practice. I started out doing the first two years of the Druidism training run by the Order Of Bards, Ovates and Druids (which involved alot of meditation and visualisation) and then I tried to read up as much as I could on what was traditional folk magic and herbal remedies. I then just kind of tried things out and kept what worked, ditched what didn't. I guess I was one of those eclectics!

I totally agree with what Jason said about it being a stepping-stone in the search though. It's just one of the things that has led me to where I am now.
  • edited January 2006
    Yes it's great training, sitting in the pissing rain in the middle of the night of the full moon, instructing a novice who is preparing for initiation, not dressed in a velvet robe and fetching headdress but three jumpers, wellie boots and a wax jacket.

But as stepping stones go, it's one of the more solid ones! And as you have both pointed out, stepping stones always lead to somewhere else - so mote it be for me too!
  • edited January 2006
    There's the Wise woman, the village herbalist and midwife, she probably still lives in an ordinary house in an ordinary road doing what she can to alleviate pain and suffering, handing out a cuppa and sympathy from time to time. She'll know the moon's course, she'll be a beekeeper, she'll probably have an odd collection of crystals, candles, incense, the herbs she uses will be fresh. She's probably around middle age, a collection of animals living with her, books stacked in piles here there and every where. Probably just wears jeans& tshirts, sweaters when its cold. Her hair will do its own thing, she'll probably have a good complexion. people will call knowing they'll feel better , because when they speak to her she will listen, she'll understand the problems behind the words. She won't wear loads of jewellery, just a ring or two and possibly a small silver pentacle on a chain.

oooo----ooooo

There will be a teenaged girl who lives in fantasy land, dressed all in black with heavy gothic makeup, Goddess jewellery at every place one can wear jewellery. Long black painted nails tapping an athame wondering who she can hex next, after all she's been initiated now for a week, 3 hours after she bought that interesting book by Kate West....
    oooo----ooooo

Getting back to Knitwitch's post, oh the bickering and bitching, and the silliness and expectations of people too, I know of one woman who initiated herself at 3 one day, held a full Ritual 5 hours later and then entertained Pan himself no less, yes well. Of course I do my housework by twitching my nose or waving the wand.

Paganism to me is the belief and strength and energy I get from the Earth,and return in due course. I can see some auras, the ones surrounding people who are shortly to depart this life, and I know when a woman is pregnant, before she knows herself. I can work Magick, and visualise a Healing, and soothe and ease peoples pain, I can wish people well and I can wish them ill but they have to seriously cross me.

I use Celtic deities on the rare occasion I hold a Ritual, and its usually because I want to do a Healing. Sometimes its skyclad, others in jeans, but I do have a robe!!! My only jewellery for the Craft is a Pentacle, a figure of Isis and a ring which is worn only at Ritual.
    Have been in one ecoven - aaargghhh! ghastly oneupmanship, bitching , but nothing to do with the Craft. I share a website with 2 friends, both very modest quiet unassuming witches, who practise very gently, one is into Shamanism, but at a low level and is following a true N American Native path.

Like Knitwitch survived a ghastly forum with very dubious morals....

Like all Paths through life, you have to stop and stare and choose and linger , some you pass quickly by at a gallop, and some you share the walk with. The Path itself will twist and turn and divert and you amble gently letting it take you along it.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Of all religions I study the pagans fewest, but I think that there's as much wrong as being pagan as a Singaporean.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Ajani, LOL! You'll have to tell us what's wrong with being a Singaporean.

To all who have posted in this thread, WOW!
    This is some of the best writing on the subject that I have ever read.
    It should be published. Your knowledge and clear sight is just astonishing.
    I only dabbled in the North American way but didn't mix my Native studies with Wicca study.
    And it was exactly how you all put it; a stepping stone that brought me here.
    I too got fed up with the posers. There was nothing spiritual at work there. It was just fakery.
    In fact, having read your other posts around the site, Knitwitch, I was thinking that I'd never met a "witch" of your type before. I felt you were the real thing, the kind that I had been hoping to come across but never did. I'm thinking, maybe, that coming from that particular practice to this one makes a good transition. Or at least in your cases. Your humility and genuine compassion for all life is like a bright light.
    And Jason, I like the Gaelic coming out of Santa Cruz. That was a nice surprise. This is a really good thread.

Love,
    Brigid.
  • edited January 2006
    Oh Gee shucks now Brigid you just stop that right now.

I am a silly old bat who likes animals and does a few spells is all ...and has no time for pretentiousness in anyone, most especially me.

And as for getting our views published I think not. They wouldn't be accepted, they are not popular and wouldn't sell books. Even the Pagan Federation have refused to publish articles I have written about "Sleeves Up witchcraft" which is what I do (well that is my description of it) - after all, we are telling people it's damned hard work and means studying and putting others first. Now who's going to buy into that can I ask? ..... apart from most people on this site.

And of course being a not too bright old spirit believer, I think everything happens for a reason and I was directed to this site for a reason, and got fed up with my fellow pagans for a reason and I am going in some direction for a reason ... where I will end up is another matter but whooosh am I enjoying the journey!
    edited January 2006
    Brigid,

We are all full of surprises eh?

;)

Jason
    edited January 2006
    Let's see... We enjoy a STRONG government that is like a MULE among DONKEYS... A political climate WORTH ADMIRING... An invisible CIA-like group known to be able to make dissendents CONFESS UNCONDITIONALLY... Just wonderful...

Anyway wrong analogy. :)
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited January 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Let's see... We enjoy a STRONG government that is like a MULE among DONKEYS... A political climate WORTH ADMIRING... An invisible CIA-like group known to be able to make dissendents CONFESS UNCONDITIONALLY... Just wonderful...

Anyway wrong analogy. :)
    hope they wont arrest you with your comment:).btw we most indonesians like s'pore more than our own country.
  • edited January 2006
    Well,

I have read some interesting posts here. I am Wiccan and have been for some time now. I usually practice as a solitary as there are not many Wiccans/Witches/Pagans here in Anderson, Indiana. There are a few but I don't really have anything in common with them plus I think they are claiming to be Wiccan/Witches/Pagans simply because they think it is "Cool" or something like that. Whatever. That is their business, I guess. They can do as they wish just like I can. I do associate with some people who are Wiccans, Witches, or Pagan in Indianapolis but I cannot afford to do so on a consistant basis because of gas expenses. We do communicate via the Internet or phone pretty much, though. It works for us. I have to be pretty careful around here, though. I have been persecuted for my beliefs by some so-called "Christians" that think they have the right to judge others that are not like them. There are some people here that are what I call true Christians because while they may not condone my beliefs, they are non-judgemental. I appreciate that, too. I am also a Nichiren Buddhist. I usually have people that have a hard time with the fact that I practice both beliefs. I don't see why because neither belief system says that you cannot practice any other belief in addition to that particular belief system. Again, Whatever. It works for me and I guess that is okay. Everybody is different. I always accept others of different faiths, beliefs, religions than my own because I don't believe in judging others. I guess I have always felt that people have the right to practice the belief system that works for them. Well, it looks that I went off on a tangent! Sorry about that!

Peace to All!

Adiana:type: :) :usflag:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Jason,
    Yes, we ARE all full of surprises. It's so fun.

Ajani,
    I don't know much about Singapore except when I was in university in Wales I had a friend from there called Sujatha and she was the best educated out of all the international students. She was very cool and had a pet chameleon called Guacamole. She built a whole jungle in her room with tree branches, leaves, ponds, heat lamps. It was really cool.

As for paganism, or Wicca specifically, I have a warm feeling for the practice but it was like Christianity to me in the sense that I liked the ideas but didn't meet a lot of people who represented it well. Knitwitch, however, is the exception. There's nothing better than a witch with a light heart and a wicked sense of humour!

Brigid.
    edited January 2006
    Adiana,

I entirely agree with you. If a belief or practice makes a tangible differnce in your life, and you truly benefit from it, that is a belief or practice that is worth keepinig. I would never disparage anyone form being what they are. My experiences are my own, and will never be the same for another. If being a Wiccan and Nichiren Buddhist brings you happiness while reducing your suffering, you are more fortunate than most people of any faith. I know from your previous posts that you life has been a difficult one. If you gain peace and strength from your particular practice to deal with the enormous amount of adversity that you face each day, I salute you!

Brigid,
    Brigid wrote:
    There's nothing better than a witch with a light heart and a wicked sense of humour!

Ain't that the Truth!!!

:rockon:

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Hear Hear!!:cheer:
    edited January 2006
    No no, why'd they arrest me? I'm complimenting my own country! :crazy:
  • edited January 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Adiana,

I entirely agree with you. If a belief or practice makes a tangible differnce in your life, and you truly benefit from it, that is a belief or practice that is worth keepinig. I would never disparage anyone form being what they are. My experiences are my own, and will never be the same for another. If being a Wiccan and Nichiren Buddhist brings you happiness while reducing your suffering, you are more fortunate than most people of any faith. I know from your previous posts that you life has been a difficult one. If you gain peace and strength from your particular practice to deal with the enormous amount of adversity that you face each day, I salute you!

Brigid,

Ain't that the Truth!!!

:rockon:

Jason

Jason,

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

Adiana:usflag: :wavey:
  • edited January 2006
    I've been looking for this poem ever since I wrote the first post in this thread and I have finally found it - written by Rainbow Jo it sums up the seriousness with which I feel undertakings like this should be viewed - not, as has been pointed out, rushing at it like a bull at a gate with no forethought.

If you are called ....

If you are called to be a priestess, do not rejoice.

You must first undertake a long and arduous training.
    Some of it will be very painful..

You will probably never see you greatest teachers.
    You will be alone when you most need help.
    You must learn to be strong in your times of greatest weakness.
    You must always feel the pain to reach the understanding and the acceptance.
    And in the end you will have gained knowledge which you can never pass on.

You will be alone at your time of greatest power, and no-one will ever know.
    The Lessons never end, even when life ends.

Do not choose this Path lightly.
    You must turn and look at it, and know what is to come and you must accept it because, for you, there is no other way.

But if you are called, and choose knowingly, then every lesson will be within your grasp. You will never face hardship you cannot overcome.

There will always be help when you need it. You will find strength when you are weak. And pain you will come to find, is the terrible gift from the great teacher.

If you can still laugh at yourself, and rejoice, then life goes on as it should
  • edited January 2006
    I grew up in a strange household. My dad's best friend was a Mexican shaman who was a gardener at College of the Pacific (now a university). The students would come to him with their problems. He would take their problems away after which he left them in a state of deep bliss. Eventually, the college fired Jesse. Too many students, its seems, were hanging around him. The last I saw him at the college, there were some dozen or more students sitting around him totally blissed out.

Part of the shaman path (of which the Buddha was called the great shaman) is putting the child in the direct path of nature alone. This means no mom or dad (although my dad watched me from a distance). Nature then imprints herself on the child's heart until one day, many years later, the healing spirit opens up in which a super powerful energy envelops the shaman to be. The shaman then has to yoke with this chthonic power after which he or she can heal the world of the plague of desire. When this power is unleashed, since it cannot tolerate any kind of pain, pain can only do one thing—leave! :)

One learns that all illness is a direct result of closing one's body off to the spirit which gives it life and joy. Unfortunately, once cured, people generally go back to doing the very things which closed them off to spirit in the first place. This is why the Buddha said the big problem is ignorance.
  • edited January 2006
    mujaku wrote:
    One learns that all illness is a direct result of closing one's body off to the spirit which gives it life and joy. Unfortunately, once cured, people generally go back to doing the very things which closed them off to spirit in the first place. This is why the Buddha said the big problem is ignorance.

No, illness is caused by both pysical and psychological/emotional factors. Bacteria and virii for example really don't care whether or not we are 'closing ourselves off to joy'. And no, this is not why the Buddha said the big problem is ignorance.
  • edited January 2006
    I learned from my dad the ways of the whites, too. It can be summed up with this:
    “But white people believe that everything is dead: stones, earth, animals, and people, even their own people. And if, in spite of that, things persist in trying to live, white people will rub them out.” — from the novel, Little Big Man
  • edited January 2006
    Microzymas are constantly developing into bacteria. In fact, bacteria are an evolutionary form of microzymas--actually microzymas fully grown. They develop from the cells of the host organism when that organism dies. So-called virulent or pathogenic bacteria are generated by decaying matter, their function being to reduce (decompose) matter back to its constituent elements. When their job is finished, they become microzymas again. Pathogenic bacteria could be thought of as nature's undertakers or clean-up crew.

Would you agree in principle with the above quote, monk?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    What has the above quotation got to do with Paganism?
    You may be in the wrong thread, Mujaku.....
  • edited January 2006
    Sorry not used to this crazy Bulletin board.
    edited January 2006
    Maybe the 'After Death' Thread....? Might suit it better.... :)

Try here....
  • edited January 2006
    I was responding to Zenmonk. Before, I discussed Shamanism. That is about as pagan as you can get, unless of course you wish to quibble. :)

From the Oxford English Dictionary. Paganism:
    A religion other than one of the main religions of the world; spec. a non-Christian or pre-Christian religion, esp. considered as ancient or primitive. Also: the religious beliefs and practices of such a religion; the state or condition of non-Christian people; heathenism.

And,
    Pantheism or nature-worship; a set of religious beliefs or practices derived from ancient myths or religions; (now) esp. neopaganism. Also: a particular affinity for or sensitivity to the supposed spiritual or mystical aspects of nature.
    edited January 2006
    No... But I didn't see it's relevance to Paganism, or the previous specific topic you were discussing here with ZM and as it talks about bacteria and organisms dying, I thought it seemed bettere suited in Topic to the other thread.

That's all.

:)
  • edited January 2006
    I am quite happy to discuss shamanism/paganism. Western medicine is too death oriented for me. That which strengthens our bonds with life and the undying (Pali, amata) is much more interesting. :)
    edited January 2006
    All medicine ultimately is death-oriented... What ARE you talking about?!?
  • edited February 2006
    Someone from this site asked me recently "Are they really that bad?" so I directed them to a pagan forum and said "Go see for yourself". This is a person who has discussed with me at length and has some idea of my views and experience in paganism, so not a complete newbie.

Going into the forum, this person asked a few questions, was introduced as a Buddhist and expressed a great willingness to exchange ideas and learn from one another. Unfortunately the witch to whom she originally addressed her questions regarding spells suddenly found herself too busy to reply. I stepped in and invited others to do the same.

All went reasonably well until the New Buddhist member suggested that perhaps all Christians weren't fanatically anti-pagan. Then, what I can only describe as "the furies" descended.

Your friend was instantly banned from entering the pagan part of the forum and an announcement was made to that effect.

I re-read all the posts tonight - I don't see any of the extreme nastiness, name calling or sheer bad manners that we have experienced on this board recently. I see someone setting out their view openly and in a forthright manner and inviting others to do the same. They didn't like the tone of the posts.

Sad. I suppose I could be angry, but this is exactly what I meant in my first post on this thread. The game has changed. It has changed so much that I don't think I can be a player any more, let alone a referee. I have felt this coming for some time and I think it is probably the day I hand in my pointy hat. If they can't even discuss things in a civilised manner, refuse any questioning of what is the accepted form of "right" this week .....

Several people mentioned stepping stones, I think it has come to that.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Oh, Knitwitch, that's just heartbreaking. It sounds like they've become consumed with fear. That was one of the reasons I stopped pursuing that path. I was told by senior practitioners repeatedly that their practice had a strong tradition of being resisted violently by the Christian majority and for that reason it was strongly recommended that I not speak of my interest to anyone. I realized then that this religion was fear based, at least by those I had come into personal contact with, and I knew that would only lead to misery. What a sad, sad thing. I can only imagine how you must feel about having to leave your community behind. I'm so glad you're here with us. I know that I have already benefited greatly by your wisdom and if I were selfish I might thank those who are steering the pagan path off course, but it still breaks my heart. Silly silly people. I know many people with "Celtic" backgrounds who straddle Wicca and Christianity, and they do just fine. I'm probably making too much out of what is probably the opinions of only a handful of pagan website operators and moderators but I still think this situation is sad. Oh, well. "Everything comes to pass, nothing comes to stay", right?

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Thank you for your kindness Brigid. All things must pass and I have seen this coming for a while. I must only be grateful for the things I have learned in my time as a priestess and keep what is good and valuable. No regrets, it was a good place to be but now I need to be somewhere else. What fun - another new journey. I held on as long as I could because of the vows I had made, but in the end, it was not the same community to whom I had made my vows and the only person to suffer from me hanging on - is me.

I feel sorry for the people who are hiding so far down in their trenches that they can't see anything but mud - what a pity they can't come out and look at the flowers! I was originally a little angry for our friend being treated so shabbily but this person is a Dharma practitioner who will also see the pity of it all and think kindly towards them.

It'll feel funny not wearing my pointy hat any more but it does feel rather like the first time I ever sailed my boat out beyond sight of land - coo, where has it all gone? Slightly scary but very exciting. Who knows what dolphins and flying fish I might meet on the way, like I did then?

Thanks again for your sympathy Brigid, you are a fine kind gurl (Irish again see?)
    edited February 2006
    There is an author named Gary Zukav, who wrote the most extraordianry book called 'The Seat of the Soul'.... In an interview, the interviewer got round to this question of the Soul and as far as I can remember, the discussion went very like this....

INTERVIEWER: "I know people have a problem when they talk about souls, and understanding them...Could you give us a clearer picture..?"

GARY: "Imagine that you are in a tiny, one-man little wooden rowing boat... you are in an ocean so vast that you don't know what your bearings are, where you're going or where you've been. It's dark, and the ocean is deep and unknowable...you are so lost and desperate, you have no strength or will to do anything any more....
    Suddenly, out of the deep midnight darkness, you see a ship.... and it steadily and gently approaches, until it is right next to you... and it is so huge, and so long, that you can't see the top deck, nor the bow, nor the stern... it's just phenomenally gigantic and unspeakably enormous... and so lit up, it dazzles....
    And the captain says, 'Follow me. I'll guide you to safety and you'l be fine, just trust me.'

This ship is your soul.
    And it knows exactly where you need to be and how to get there. Just trust it."

The Interviewer went on, later to ask...

"Ok, so when we talk about this 'Soul'... is it...here?" (points to chest) "Or here?" (points to head.) "Whereabouts.... where... where is it?"

GARY: (after a moment's thought) .... "Let me put it to you this way.... Where is it NOT?"

As buddhists, we discount the existence of the Soul. We rely rather on the Letting go, and acceptance of Things as they Are. we remain Mindful and centred, just in calm realisation. But when we let all our attachments drop, when we lay everything to one side, and just stay where we are, and Just Be... That to me is exactly as Gary described here. that's the feeling I get.
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks Federica. Anyone who hasn't been out in a boat in stormy seas in the dark can't actually imagine how terribly alone one can feel. It is the greatest bringer-home of one's own insignificance I have ever experienced, far more impressive than massive mountains or the contemplation of any other natural phenomenon.

Truthfully, I am surprised how easy "letting go" is in this case. It's rather like a divorce following years of unhappy marriage - a relief but rather unsettling. A bit like suddenly stepping on shifting sand.

I'm very calm, quite accepting - not rushing to see where I might be going next, just sitting here appreciating how good it feels not to have to try so hard. The bus has dropped me off in a lovely place, so I'll just sit here a while and enjoy it until the next bus comes that's going in the right direction. Oh look - there's a tearoom over there, think I'll stroll off and have a cuppa and watch the world go by.
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch,

Just remember, you don't have to abandon your Path simply because it is also travelled by many fools. Buddhism is certainly no different in that respect. If just one person gains wisdom and peace from any one Path, then that Path is not completely useless, regardless of who else may be on it. In truth, it is only our attachments and views which get in our way. They cloud our mind to the reality of what truly is. What good is an attachment [to a religion, a view of self, a theory of creation, etc.] if it causes one to suffer, fear, or hate? People are burned by the fires of their own ignorance, their own greed, their own anger, and their own delusion. None of these things are outside of oneself--they are all right here in this fathom-long body. Everything you need to quench those fires is also all right here. Whatever you may choose, just make sure that it makes you happy [although, it is much better to be a little lonely than on fire ;)].

Best wishes,

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    Thank you Jason, I appreciate your words. I'm sorry if I've phrased it in such a way that it looks as if I am abandoning the Craft suddenly or without thought. This is just the culmination of a long time of unease. And the feeling of peace I have now confirms that it was the right decision.

It isn't just that there are fools in the craft, it's the fact that they are in the ascendency and swimming against the tide (to continue my eternal sea metaphor - spot the sailor!) is very, very tiring. I just decided to stop, because it was hurting.

Wearing ones shoes on the wrong feet is a silly thing to do, but continuing to wear them on the wrong feet once one has realised the fact is foolish. I can't tell you what a relief it is to take the damn things off.
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch,

Excellent! As long as that is the reason for you decision, your decision is made with wisdom. Each step on the Buddha's Path is about seeing where there is unneeded stress in our lives, and removing it. Decisions like these are the more appearent ones, but when we start to make them in our deep meditations we see even more dramatic results. The relief of the ultimate letting go [i.e. Nibbana] is beyond compare. Good luck on your journey.

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    Many thanks. I am very seldom accused of wisdom but this time I think it might just be so.

Many things are being seen in a different light recently despite the fact that I am consciously NOT attempting to chuck myself onto another path. It would appear that while enjoying the walk and smelling the flowers, a few bits of pollen have got stuck on my nose. Ah well, so be it. I am in no hurry to get anywhere and I am so "less stressed" these days I have to keep checking that rigor mortis hasn't set in!
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch,

One can love thy neighbor as thy self without ever calling oneself a "Christian", and one can marvel at the beauty of life while revering the forces of Mother Nature without ever calling oneself a "Pagan", just as one can remove the causes of suffering from one's life without ever calling oneself a "Buddhist".

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    OK - let's settle for if I ever get there, I'll let you know. I think it may be a slight horror of "spiritual tourists" that puts me off labels - you know the sort, you meet them and go "How are you? And what spiritual path are you on this week? Oh nice, yes, yes, I have heard of Voodoo"

"Men are judged by the company they keep". and I do seem to be spending an unconscionable amount of time in here!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch,

We never really abandon the Craft because the Craft isn't something that we join, it is a state of mind and action. Because of this, what we learned and what we experienced remain as resources on the rest of our journey through life.

The Christian writer, Harry Edwards, says:
    There is nothing in this world or the next, absolutely nothing, which cannot, and will not, be turned into the valid currency we need to buy the one pearl od great price. That is what is meant when we say that we are redeeemed.

The True Wilderness

It is all 'grist to the mill'. It is the fuel we use to burn away the delusions of samsara.
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks Simon - much appreciated.

Yes, like everyone else here, I hope I can bring the positive lessons from my whole life to bear on what I am studying now.

BTW - sneaky ole stuff Buddhism innit? I've been reading, asking questions, taking an interest, consciously NOT leaping into it with both feet ......................... and yesterday this fat guy tapped me on the shoulder and said "You going to admit it or not?" :-/

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Admit what?

That you were Buddhist or that you found him sexy?

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    That is a question of "What was the Buddha really saying?"

but I don't think it was if I found him sexy (even though he knows I already have a guy with a big wobbly belly)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Ooops :)

That's who I thought you were talking about - not Buddha. :)

My bad.

-bf