Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

giving up on kundalini/tantra

VincenziVincenzi Veteran
edited June 2011 in Philosophy
the first type of meditation I practiced was yogic, and some years after practicing Buddhism I started practicing some kundalini meditation.

now, my conclusion is that the kundalini and tantric approach to meditation (and as a method for advancing towards Nirvana) is more dangerous than it is worth it. the type of energetical and pyschic (mental) activity that this approach fires up is too much to control in a nice and calm way.

creativity may be enhanced, and some realisations may occur... but all this progress happens in an up and down (bumpy) road.

Comments

• I had a tantra/yoga teacher who would say some of the most efficient ways to build up your kundalini towards enlightenment was to not eat meat and to not ejaculate if you're a man. So from that moment on I decided it wasn't worth it lol.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Hi @Vincenzi,

If you had a teacher you could discuss with him/her. I don't think Tantrayana is suitable for one without a teacher, do you have one? Besides you're just finding out that no matter how powerful the meditation, it is still in the realm of samsara. What goes up must come down. Maybe a back to basics approach may help? Cause and effect, helping others = beneficial results, using ethics and concentration to support wisdom and vice versa, etc. Do you read and study much, that helps immensely?

Cheers, WK
  • Right, you're not supposed to be working with Kundalini without a teacher, and without extensive preparation first. Your'e literally "playing with fire"!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    the first type of meditation I practiced was yogic, and some years after practicing Buddhism I started practicing some kundalini meditation.

now, my conclusion is that the kundalini and tantric approach to meditation (and as a method for advancing towards Nirvana) is more dangerous than it is worth it. the type of energetical and pyschic (mental) activity that this approach fires up is too much to control in a nice and calm way.

creativity may be enhanced, and some realisations may occur... but all this progress happens in an up and down (bumpy) road.
    Yea, it seems that the most basic and the simplest way is the best way.
    Gradual and slow progress.
  • I second the view of importance of having a qualified teacher with those advanced techniques. Also it's better to stick with one tradition as it should be practiced as a whole, complete thing.
  • Sounds pretty illusionary from what I can tell thats why you cant sustain it. Its like faith healers, they actually do heal people in a psychosomatic way but it only lasts a short time until "reality" hits.

I really doubt Kundalini is dangerous, unless you buy into it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Ric, thats interesting, but isn't kundalini working with the mind? So 'buying into something' is part and parcel with the method? Again I have no idea as I don't practice work with kundalini, but my understanding is that the mind itself is what is worked with.

Faith healing is different because it is dealing with an objective health state rather than a subjective mental experience. My understanding of kundalini work is that it is regarding the mind rather than the material.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Kundalini is such a powerful energy that people who experience spontaneous kundalini "risings" have ended up in mental institutions. More research needs to be done on Kundalini, so that we have a clearer idea of what we're dealing with. I'm pretty sure it has a strong electro-magnetic component, it hasn't been studied scientifically in the West.

I wouldn't say Kundalini is only a mental experience. If that were true, Tibetans practicing tummo wouldn't be able to dry icy-cold towels on their bodies, as they've demonstrated to Western researchers. An ex monk I know says that Kundalini draws on the energy of the adrenal glands. It seems to me there's clearly a physiological component.
  • HI Dakini - you have such insight - that is exactly what happened to me.
    Perhaps look into kinetics and neuro science a bit.
    Someone once told me that the only "religion" who will be able to keep up with science is Buddhism.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I came across on another forum a psychology grad student who was in the middle of a Kundalini rising. He said he wanted to get his brain wired up to to machines that would study the neuro-science and brain science part. But that wouldn't pick up on any electromagnetic changes the body was going through. All approaches are needed to fully understand this powerful phenomenon.
  • Some Christians who go to Jerusalem, "develop" the Jerusalem syndrome and also end up in mental institutions.

Its called spiritual/religious psychosis.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Kundalini is such a powerful energy that people who experience spontaneous kundalini "risings" have ended up in mental institutions. More research needs to be done on Kundalini, so that we have a clearer idea of what we're dealing with. I'm pretty sure it has a strong electro-magnetic component, it hasn't been studied scientifically in the West.

I wouldn't say Kundalini is only a mental experience. If that were true, Tibetans practicing tummo wouldn't be able to dry icy-cold towels on their bodies, as they've demonstrated to Western researchers. An ex monk I know says that Kundalini draws on the energy of the adrenal glands. It seems to me there's clearly a physiological component.

Ta-da :)

Very interesting stuff.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @vincenzi

Great idea to give up kundalini 'training'.

It's completely superstitous nonsense and a waste of your time.
  • @Daozen

it is not exactly non-sense, it is just ineffective (specially in the long run).
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    @Daozen

Glad you went on record to once again clarify that you don't agree with anything non-scientific.

I have no doubt that people experience certain mind-states. Although I wouldn't hesitate to think it is chemically driven. Our brains are great at chemistry.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Glad you went on record to once again clarify that you don't agree with anything non-scientific.
    OK i'll stop now.
    I have no doubt that people experience certain mind-states. Although I wouldn't hesitate to think it is chemically driven. Our brains are great at chemistry.
    Agree.