Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does bye mean by and hi mean high? also?

edited June 2011 in General Banter
Why are they sounded the same? just a small idea, how do we know how things are translated in buddhism to english? Maybe the eight noble path could be eight truths rather then rights for example?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the words point to truth. find that truth then the words make sense. i can illustrate and create many narratives about eating the apple. why don't i just hand you the apple and you figure it out for yourself?
  • here's a joke - why didn't God warn Eve about the snake? why do we trust him when he is obviously super sneaky

Who do you trust - the guy who puts you in a garden with a sneaky snake? or the guy with the snake around his neck?

just think about it
  • How did I get two answers about Christianity? ... uh
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    In one sense, all words are lies. They are lies in the sense that they are approximations of what they pretend to depict. A "rock" is clearly not a rock ... it's just a suggestion that makes communication easier.

If this is true, then translations are approximations of approximations, lies about lies. None of this is bad or naughty or sinful. It just means it might behoove us not to get swept up in the froth of life.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    your right girllikesam. we have to find if the translations help us or not
  • Somebody please just tell him how the Buddhist scriptures were translated. Please.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Somebody please just tell him how the Buddhist scriptures were translated. Please.
    Aren't all translations pretty much alike? A person in command of two or more languages sits down and takes his or her best guess based on meaning and context and known history?
  • learn pali if you want to correct any translation.