Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Day to Day

2»

Comments

• edited January 2006
    "To renounce things is not to give them up. It is to acknowledge that all things go away."

-Shunryu Suzuki Roshi
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    It's a good question though isn't it? How long does one bite one's lip? How far do people have to go before we say something? I know that answer is that it's for each one of us to decide for ourselves but I'd be interested to know when other people hit breaking point and say - the crassness of that remark deserves a reply.

I would say that when they're so far in your face that you can see their fillings... go for it.
    I have found, for myself though (through personal experience) that occasionally a measured silent response allows them to dig their own hole...

I was being confronted on an issue, back in the UK, by someone whom I can only kindly refer to as a somewhat ignorant she-dog....(!) and she was ranting and raving, and stating her piece fairly loudly, across the table (it was a Feng Shui workshop I was running, about half an hour before breaking for lunch....) All morning, everything I had tried to explain, she counter-manded and disputed... every suggestion I made, she dismissed and ridiculed... don't ask me how (I said don't ask me how!) but I kept my cool and tried to reply to her objections and contradictions... But this final rant was beyond the pale. When she'd finally ranted herself out, and the room fell silent, I swear, every face turned from hers to mine, to see the drop-volley or Ace smash. I just timed it for a second, then almost imperceptibly shook my head once or twice, then just carried on where I'd left off.

She didn't say another word.

After lunch, her chair stayed empty.......

Everyone was very glad she'd left. I never heard from her again, not even to demand a refund from me....

Now admittedly, not being as far down the road with Buddhism as I am now, I will confess to having felt self-righteous and justified... so I know my actions may have been 'skillful', but my Intention wasn't.... But it did feel good....!!

So if ever you give someone the 'silent treatment', examine your motives - !! :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    "To renounce things is not to give them up. It is to acknowledge that all things go away."

-Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

Brilliant.

Along the same lines, if I may...

"Renunciation means letting Go of Holding Back".

And I'm afraid I don't know the original source but it wasn't me.