Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Day to Day

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
How do you all practice Budhism on a day to day basis? What things do you do each day to further move along the path?

Since I have started practicing/studying I have tried to mediatate whenever possible (need more practice on that one though), I also try to watch what I say in order to not harm others around me with the potty mouth I admit I have, I try to be aware of actions that I take and what the outcome of them might be, trying to curb my stress which until recently brought on unneccessary agitation, I've been reading alot too....

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Thinking on the Buddha's teaching and trying to practice "being here now" is WHAT gets me through all the predicaments I encounter, especially at work, nursing older people in a nursing home. It's impossible to do everything that ought to be done, but carrying a fresh attitude and an affectionate response to everything sure makes all the difference. I couldn't do that without setting time aside for at least a few minutes of unhurried meditation at home.

Believing that this world is not fully real, nor fully unreal, either, helps me to keep my perspective and an upbeat mood.

Bliss Is the Only Way!

Nirvana
  • edited January 2006
    How do you all practice Budhism on a day to day basis? What things do you do each day to further move along the path?

I don't know.
  • edited January 2006
    I don't know.

wow, I'm a bit surprised by your answer. You usually have alot to say with such open ended questions. Maybe I don't know you to well yet.:)
  • edited January 2006
    Hello,
    By being me
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I don't know.

Knowing how to live each day, is a mystery... one never knows what the day will bring... you just have to handle, face and tackle every Moment, according to the Moment you are in....
    None of us has a Groundhog day, so it's a question of evaluating each Moment as it arrives....And he wouldn't know how to tackle your Moments for you... he can only tackle his own....

I'm more verbose than ZenMonk, and I would never presume to speak on his behalf....
    but maybe that's what he means by it.....:wavey:
  • edited January 2006
    As a day to day practice, I try to avoid harmful and fruitless arguements at all costs. Of course I still pick on my sister like all brothers do but I attempt to be generally more open to others. I try not to put up barriers between someone else and me just because of beliefs. Since I have incorporated meditation into my daily life, I find myself in a much calmer state around strangers and those close to me.

Besides some minor things, I really don't do anything differently because of Buddhist beleiefs. I still love music, laughing, childish pranks, and extremely rude noises...
  • edited January 2006
    Fede, that's pretty close and a lot better put than I did. :uphand: Daily life is practice, so to some extent the question, "How do you all practice Budhism on a day to day basis? What things do you do each day to further move along the path?" is the same as asking how do you live every day, or what do you do every day? And I truly don't know. I do what needs doing (or not as the case may be), I sit, that's it. To analyze that I have to step apart from it and then it's no longer daily life or practice.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006

Hay foot. Straw foot.
  • edited January 2006
    New to Buddhism myself, I am living rather similar to you, Looking. I started to a lot of reading and discussing (as I am here). baby steps....my firt one is :I am conscious of my actions and words. Now I am working on the mediation aspect...all the while reading and reflecting...
  • edited January 2006
    New to Buddhism myself, I am living rather similar to you, Looking. I started to a lot of reading and discussing (as I am here). baby steps....my firt one is :I am conscious of my actions and words. Now I am working on the mediation aspect...all the while reading and reflecting...

this hits the nail right on the head for how I have been lately. I am trying more and more to incorporate some meditation into my day. That so far has been the hardest but I am trying to make at least 15 minutes of my day to meditate.

thanks for your responses everyone.
  • edited January 2006
    I have a hard time with the mediation...I always end up thinking about something! But at this point, it's not a distraction I guess. I am usually thinking about what I just read, realized...Buddhist related. Which I suppose I need to do....but I don't think I am meditating 'correctly'.:banghead:
  • edited January 2006
    I have a hard time with the mediation...I always end up thinking about something! But at this point, it's not a distraction I guess. I am usually thinking about what I just read, realized...Buddhist related. Which I suppose I need to do....but I don't think I am meditating 'correctly'.:banghead:

I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly either, and although at first I have a hard time concentrating I just give myself an extra couple minutes and mentally just speak to myself to keep calm. I have had a few good meditations that when I stop I feel great, I almost don't want to stop sometimes but daily life interferes. I could still use alot more practice. :smilec:
  • edited January 2006
    What would happen if you simply sat still with those feelings and didn't try to keep calm when meditating?
  • edited January 2006
    Genryu, I think that's what I have been doing...
    I don't try to stop my thoughts since they are relative to my actions (or non-action) at that moment. I figure that since I am just getting used to this, I would just let it go and see what happens...know the goal but take the unknown path to get there, so to speak.
  • edited January 2006
    "Not knowing is most intimate."
  • edited January 2006
    So true. Lately, I wake up everyday with a whole new outlook!
    I look forward to the unknown!
  • edited January 2006
    Alright...back to this meditation thing....It's driving me crazy!
    I know that I am 'supposed' to be sitting, breathing, letting it all go....don't let anything distract you. The effect is supposed to be ( I feel silly that I am asking about this) calming, centering....etc.
    A little background info...I live in a beatuiful area where Lake Ontario and the Niagara River meet (about 13 miles from the infamous Niagara Falls, NY). When I do my daily walk, I go along the river to the lake. Anyway, while on these... what I used to refer to as my meditative walks...I do a lot of centering, sorting out, calming, realizing...
    is that anything close to what mediation would be???
  • edited January 2006
    Sharpiegirl, I would think that it is. Now I am new to Buddhism myself, but just from looking at everyone's responses about it, it seems to me that while everyone has a similar goal for what they want to get out of meditation, it still remains a highly individualized activity. That is--your 'sitting' cannot be exactly the same as anybody else's sitting.

Also, one thing I've really noticed from my own experience is that I myself, and human beings in general, tend to over-complicate things. The simplest things are the hardest to do, because we think "That's it? That's all there is to it? I must be doing it wrong..." Thus, going through your day, simply and mindfully, doing what must be done and suchlike, can be very, very hard, if you are too worried about it!

As far as guidelines for day-to-day living, I have been reading "How to Practice" by HH the Dalai Lama, and have found it to be an interesting and helpful read. Very practical information, but obviously based off of the Tibetan tradition. Still, he gives suggestions for taking these practices over to other traditions or even other religions, so that it could be helpful to anyone who would like to make use of it.

:wavey: Hope this helps!
    Pandy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Pandora wrote:
    Also, one thing I've really noticed from my own experience is that I myself, and human beings in general, tend to over-complicate things. The simplest things are the hardest to do, because we think "That's it? That's all there is to it? I must be doing it wrong..." Thus, going through your day, simply and mindfully, doing what must be done and suchlike, can be very, very hard, if you are too worried about it!

I'm glad you used the term "Smple" because indeed, that's exactly what it is.

Simple.

However (and I sound like a stuck record)

.....'Simple' doesn't mean 'Easy'.....
  • edited January 2006
    That's what I thought to Pandora...but like you said, it seems too simple for it to be right.
    I am (and was) going to stick with what works best for me. I will however give the sitting more practice...
    In the books I've read about meditating, authors give steps and thoughts (for lack of a better term) to get you started. Quite frankly, I find them to be distracting. :hrm: I'm so occupied thinking of them (the 'steps') that I don't FOCUS!

Thanks for your input!
    Marybeth
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited January 2006

I think the best way I can describe what I do is 'being mindful of everything I do while opening myself up to the world'. Before I discovered Buddhism, I was a temperamental hothead, and used to fly off the handle at the slightest provocation- I really used to put myself at odds with the way life is. Now, I have a much calmer temperament, and take the time to think before responding to anything. Because of this, I became more open to people in general, and more receptive to others.

There's a part of Max Ehrmann's beautiful poem 'Desiderata' that sums this attitude up wonderfully:

As far as possible without surrender
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.

Besides this, I read Buddhist literature, and take time to ponder upon what I've read, and whenever possible, I try to meditate. Like you, I'm still new to this practice, so it doesn't come easy. Above all else, I also make sure to be patient and gentle with myself. I hope this helps!

Peace.
  • edited January 2006
    I definitely go with what feels right too. I meditate when I can because I have noticed an improvement in myself and my relations to others when I practice it. I also read lots of things about Buddhism, but if I find my mind wandering, or if I start to think "I *should* keep reading this", I stop. I figure, if I force it on myself, I won't be getting much benefit out of the material.

Padawan, I really like the poem you quoted! That sounds like a great way to go at life. Preserve your ideals, but listen to everyone else, never stop investigating the world... :)
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Pandora wrote:
    Padawan, I really like the poem you quoted! That sounds like a great way to go at life. Preserve your ideals, but listen to everyone else, never stop investigating the world... :)

Thank you! :) It's one of my all-time favourites, and much of it sounds, to my mind, like the author was very familiar with Buddhist concepts. At the risk of hijacking the thread, here is the poem in its' entirety...

Desiderata
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
    they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs;
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals;
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love;
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann

Peace.
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks for that - I love Desiderata. And thanks for pointing out who wrote it, I always thought it came from an inscription on a gravestone.

I particularly like the "even the dull and ignorant, they too have their stories" - I used to have a poster of it on my wall so I saw it every morning but I lost it in the move. Mind if I copy it out of your post? I can? Oh you are so kind. :bigclap: bigclap: bigclap:
  • edited January 2006
    *ponders* I have heard this poem somewhere before...it is very familiar...hmmmm....

Thank you, though! :) Nice to read the whole thing.
    edited January 2006
    Hey everyone.... Check this out..... ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth."

Could I ever use a dose of that!!

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

How utterly beautiful, and just what the Buddha said.
  • edited January 2006
    You never enjoy the world aright, till the Sea itself floweth in your veins,
    till you are clothed with the heavens, and crowned with the stars:
    and perceive yourself to be the sole heir of the whole world,
    and more than so, because men are in it
    who are every one sole heirs as well as you.
    Till you can sing and rejoice and delight in God,
    as misers do in gold, and Kings in scepters,
    you never enjoy the world.
    Till your spirit filleth the whole world,
    and the stars are your jewels;
    till you are as familiar with the ways of God in all Ages
    as with your walk and table;

till you are intimately acquainted with that shady nothing
    out of which the world was made;
    till you love men so as to desire their happiness,
    with a thirst equal to the zeal of your own;
    till you delight in God for being good to all:
    you never enjoy the world.
    Till you more feel it than your private estate,
    and are more present in the hemisphere,
    considering the glories and the beauties there,
    than in your own house;

till you remember how lately you were made,
    and how wonderful it was when you came into it;
    and more rejoice in the palace of your glory,
    than if it had been made but today morning.
    Yet further, you never enjoy the world aright,
    till you so love the beauty of enjoying it,
    that you are covetous and earnest to persuade others to enjoy it….

The world is a mirror of infinite beauty, yet no man sees it.
    It is a Temple of Majesty, yet no man regards it.
    It is a region of Light and Peace, did not men disquiet it.
    It is the Paradise of God.
    It is more to man since he is fallen than it was before.
    It is the place of Angels and the Gate of Heaven.
    When Jacob waked out of his dream, he said
    "God is here, and I wist it not.
    How dreadful is this place!
    This is none other than the House of God
    and the Gate of Heaven.

- Thomas Traherne, 17th Century Anglican Mystic
    edited January 2006
    :bawling: :bigclap: :thumbsup:

Words fail me.
  • edited January 2006
    Yes, because you understand. :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    And do you know this?

Deteriorata!

The following poem was not found in an old Baltimore church:
    Introduction
    You are a fluke
    Of the universe.
    You have no right to be here.....
    Deteriorata! Deteriorata!

Go placidly
    Amid the noise and waste.
    And remember what comfort there may be
    In owning a piece thereof.

Avoid quiet and passive persons
    Unless you are in need of sleep.

Ro-tate your tires.
    Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself
    And heed well their advice,
    Even though they be turkeys.

Know what to kiss.....and when!
    Consider that two wrongs never make a right
    But that THREE.........do.

Wherever possible, put people on hold.

Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment
    And despite the changing fortunes of time,
    There is always a big future in computer main-te-nance.

Chorus
    You are a fluke
    Of the universe.
    You have no right to be here.
    And whether you can hear it or not
    The universe is laughing behind your back.

Remember the Pueblo.

Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mu-ti-late.

Know yourself.
    If you need help, call the FBI.

Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
    Especially with those persons closest to you.
    That lemon on your left, for instance.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
    Would scarcely get your feet wet.

Fall not in love therefore;
    It will stick to your face.

Gracefully surrender the things of youth:
    The birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan
    And let not the sands of time
    Get in your lunch.

Hire people with hooks.

For a good time call 606-4311;
    Ask for "Ken."

Take heart amid the deepening gloom
    That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.

And reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot
    It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

Chorus
    You are a fluke
    Of the universe.

Therefore, make peace with your god
    Whatever you conceive him to be---
    Hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.

With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal
    The world continues to deteriorate.

GIVE UP!
    Reprise
    You are a fluke
    Of the universe.

Performed by National Lampoon on "National Lampoon Radio Dinner," a 1972 recording by Blue Thumb Records. Lyrics by Tony Hendra.
  • edited January 2006
    Well, I had quite the interesting night...
    To most of my friends, I have always been the 'weird' one, oh there's Mar going off again getting philosophical ... I am the one that questions (almost) everything, appreciates culture and world religion, and thinks outside the box.
    Religion is not someting that comes at the table very often, but every now and then I will through in a tid bit...especially if people's attitudes towards others starts to go awry.

Last night I noticed just how, well to put it frankly, shallow, my friends can be (I am not judging, as I used to get wrapped up into it also). I don't always feel it's right to pipe up and say anything...but at the same time, it's very difficult to NOT say ANYTHING!
    If I do, I try to remember Right Speech and Right Intention...as I would explain to whomever cared to listen. More often than not, I am the 'butt if the joke' again.

Has anyone ever experienced this??? And how would I respond??:confused:
  • edited January 2006
    I have always liked the Desiderata (sp?).

Adiana:usflag:
    edited January 2006
    Well, I had quite the interesting night...
    Last night I noticed just how, well to put it frankly, shallow, my friends can be (I am not judging, as I used to get wrapped up into it also). I don't always feel it's right to pipe up and say anything...but at the same time, it's very difficult to NOT say ANYTHING!.......

Has anyone ever experienced this??? And how would I respond??:confused:

From what I can tell, and it is just my perception of your situation, the more you study Buddhism in depth, and understand the teachings of the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, you are dwelling in Mindfulness and Awareness... So what before passed glibly by, is now more crystal clear... Things are more acute, and the more you question your own motives (through right View, Intention, Speech, Awareness, Effort and Meditation/Mindfulness) the more the mundane and "unconscious' way of living is brought into stark reality.
    Happens to me all the time.....:lol:
    But I can equate... Without trying to sound patronising and superior, when you can start to "see things as they really are"... you also start to wonder why nobody else can see it! It's so clear!! :thumbsup:

Am I close?
  • edited January 2006
    Am I close? Well you are for me! I am feeling that too.

Thanks for the Desiderata link too

ZMG - wow! copied to go on the wall. Deep thanks.
  • edited January 2006
    You're most welcome. Traherne is one of my all time favorites. He understood live words as opposed to dead ones.
  • edited January 2006
    I love the Desiderata. Thank you for sharing it.
  • edited January 2006
    You're most welcome. Traherne is one of my all time favorites. He understood live words as opposed to dead ones.

I am just knocked out by this text - going back to seeing what is Right with other religions first, this was written by an Anglican priest (not a breed I would have as a pet but ....) and his writing could be used in any pagan ritual - breathtaking!
  • edited January 2006
    Speaking of mystics and contemplative literature: this is all new to me. I would be grateful if the more well read members could post more reading suggestions in this area.

thank you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Sharpiegirl,

Yes, I think this may be the natural way of things. The practice of Buddhism requires that we wake up and grow up. And that usually means leaving others behind as you grow away from them. It's very difficult to live with those who haven't even heard the alarm clock go off. You're changing and they aren't which is natural. Perhaps you could relate to them on a different level?
    Personally, I haven't been able to do that. Many of my oldest friends are further away from me than complete strangers. I really can't talk to them about anything. All they seem to want to talk about is gossip and how much they despise this or that. And they look to me as their friend to validate their negativity and foolishness and I just can't and won't do it. It's exhausting to me just to be around them. I feel like their sucking the life right out of me. I think that may be one of the reasons a sangha is so important, so that you have people to grow apace with you, to discuss this process and practice and to have a similar set of ethics and boundaries as you have.
    When I had that temper tantrum and stormed out of here vowing never to return I was overcome with grief at the thought of losing my community. This threw me for a loop as I have always preferred to be alone. I've been very social in my life but in truth I'd always just wanted to be left alone to my thoughts. I'm not one of those people who need people. Until I came here. Two of the lessons I learned were that I was a little too attached to this sangha and should keep an eye on this attachment and the other was a renewed and wider appreciation for it. I know I must be able to give it up at any moment but I will enjoy and learn from it right now, in this moment.
    When it comes to relating to the people who ARE in my life I just do what you do; take it as an opportunity to practice, which is great. And I don't get sentimental about growing away from my old friends. I see them for what they are and if they ever ask about the Dhamma I will gladly explain in simple terms the small amount I have learned so far and point them to better sources than me if they're interested.
    Actually this brings up a funny story. A couple of years ago I went back home to Montreal to my high school reunion. I also met up with my "gang", the people I had really hung out with since I was 12 and who didn't actually go to my high school. They brought me out to dinner and as we were catching up they asked me what I was doing and among other things I told them I was in the first stages of studying Buddhism. I wasn't expecting much, maybe a few eyes rolling toward heaven, as these were the people who had often told me not to try to discuss the current book I was reading because "Brigid, we don't READ books. Could we talk about something a little more interesting?". But, lo and behold, one of my friends responded "Oh. Non-attachment". People can surprise you, can't they? Unfortunately the discussion didn't go any further than that. Nobody else wanted to talk about "deep" stuff. LOL!

Love,
    Brigid.

P.S. I wonder where Craig is?

P.P.S. Knitwitch, I LOVE your new signature!
  • edited January 2006
    Federica...you understood me pefectly...thanks. :bigclap:

Brigid...I agree with what you said. I am growing/changing, etc. They are not. But, it is so heartbreaking to think they I may not have them in my life. One-on-one, a few of them are more interested and open-minded. But in the group, i guess it's not 'cool' to THINK and READ and what a better, more peaceful life. :downhand:

I have found a wonder place here to share my thoughts and questions...for that I am grateful!:thumbsup:
    I cannot explain, as many of you have said also, the positive effects of the Eight fold Path has had on me!

yeah Brigid...I wonder why and how they can not see it!!!!:confused:
    edited January 2006
    But, it is so heartbreaking to think they I may not have them in my life.

Bless you sweetheart, you have just brought into sharp focus the one thing many of us have difficulty in tackling....*Gasps....!*

'The Attachment Issue'....! (*Dhuh - Dhuh - Dhuuuuh!!*)

The Clinging and persistent desire to retain what gives and brings us pleasure, because we dread imagining Life without them.....

You can still remain attached to people/things, providing you understand that the Nature of E V E R Y T H I N G is transitory... them and you....Be attached. just don't cling.... like pine-tree sap....

Tastes change, fashions come and go....

Rather than lament the loss, rejoice in the fact that they are with you even if for only part of the way. It all counts. It all makes a difference. How we use our experiences is what makes us... and helps us to put one foot in front of the other.....!!
  • edited January 2006
    Well I think all my friends reckon I've turned into a boring old sod! :)

Despite being well into our 30's they still like nothing more than going out on a pub crawl and getting totally wasted. I've said it before but I really don't like getting too drunk as I don't enjoy waking up in a pile of puke - I've done it once and that was enough! I do still drink (mmm, whisky!!) but not as often as I used to since I started doing Reiki as the desire for drinking just seemed to disappear.

Recently 13 of us went snowboarding and one night we went out to the local club. By some miracle I managed to make my one drink last the entire evening while everyone else got rat-arsed. I just sat there thinking what fools they were making of themselves and sure enough the next day the majority of them had evil hangovers and they'd managed to offend the group of girls that happened to be sharing the chalet with us!!

Don't get me wrong, I love my mates but since learning Reiki and then going on to study Buddhism I'm very much aware of the fact that I'm in real danger of alienating myself from them. Mind you, they've always thought I was weird!
    edited January 2006
    Isn't it weird how we all bring the responsibility for the 'growing apart 'onto ourselves...? Frizzer and Sharpiegirl both say it's because THEY'RE weird...Brigid actually expected the eyes heavenward looks form her friends....
    This is part of 'Skillful looking at what we have to offer'.... let's not be so deprecating about ourselves, huh? ;)
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks Federica! :o
  • edited January 2006
    I've already has to do this once before. As I have said somewhere else, I am an alcoholic who doesn't drink any more. When I stopped drinking, I had to change my circle of friends as well as my habits. There were people who had been my friends for years with whom I just couldn't be, because for them I was not fun any more and for me, they were dangerous people likely to give me alcohol I had refused.

Some day they might come to terms with it and be able to watch me drinking mineral water without feeling sorry for me (:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ) just as some day friends who don't understand those studying Buddhism might come to terms with that.
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited January 2006
    I am inspired to tell some friends who I was afraid to tell about my new choice. I have had a hard time mustering the courage, last night I told a more accepting friend and he took it fine, even asking me questions about it and telling me how he always thought monks looked cool :lol: . Hopefull the others will be just as accepting. Either way I will end up better in the long run, either I will find that these friends are more accepting than I expected, and I will have a deeper friendship with them. Or I will find that I need to move on.
  • edited January 2006
    It's a good question though isn't it? How long does one bite one's lip? How far do people have to go before we say something? I know that answer is that it's for each one of us to decide for ourselves but I'd be interested to know when other people hit breaking point and say - the crassness of that remark deserves a reply.
  • edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    Bless you sweetheart, you have just brought into sharp focus the one thing many of us have difficulty in tackling....*Gasps....!*

'The Attachment Issue'....! (*Dhuh - Dhuh - Dhuuuuh!!*)

The Clinging and persistent desire to retain what gives and brings us pleasure, because we dread imagining Life without them.....

You can still remain attached to people/things, providing you understand that the Nature of E V E R Y T H I N G is transitory... them and you....Be attached. just don't cling.... like pine-tree sap....

Tastes change, fashions come and go....

Rather than lament the loss, rejoice in the fact that they are with you even if for only part of the way. It all counts. It all makes a difference. How we use our experiences is what makes us... and helps us to put one foot in front of the other.....!!

Well I certainly don't intend on kicking them out the door!! But I hope that they recognize my life's change (for the better) and take note!
    I did initially think that I would have to rid of everything in my life that caused negativity, or people who didn't accept the "new" Marybeth. But I suppose that would be a bit snubbish and elitist wouldn't it??
    Am I weird??? No. I know I am not 'supposed' to compare....BUT...I am the most satisfied and happy out of the lot!!!!
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Sharpiegirl- Federica- you hit the nail square on the head with becoming aware of the shallowness of everyday gossip- mindfulness and attachment, indeed! I find pretty much the same thing- most of my colleagues can only converse when the subject is TV soaps, or reality TV- their minds are filled with- well, what I can only describe as mindless trivia. It is really hard for me now to imagine how one can live ones' life like this- my mind would be like a vacuum!

Simon, many thanks for the Deteriorata- LMAO! and ZMG- many thanks for that poem- it was truly beautiful. I shall keep a copy of that right next to Desiderata.