Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What conditions ignorance?

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited June 2011 in Philosophy
If ignorance (the root cause of Dukkha) can cease, then it is impermanent. All impermanent things are so due to their being dependent upon conditions. By uprooting these conditons, the cause is thereby uprooted as well. What conditions ignorance?

Comments

• Either birth, rebirth, or past karma.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    View of "self".
  • Misperception, misinterpretation, inappropriately relating things to ourselves, etc., etc.

There's a gazillion ways and combination of factors that go into ignorance. So I would say that there are a gazillion factors that condition ignorance. It's almost an imponderable, in fact it probably partially is an imponderable, because it may be the fruit of karma, which is imponderable.

Think about it. Myriad ways to be wrong/ignorant, one way to be correct/understand and perceive correctly.

Factors too numerous to mention condition ignorance.
  • There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
  • I suppose Karma could be a strong contributing factor.

Makes sense the more I think about it.
  • " But ignorance, too, has its nutriment; it is not without a nutriment. And what is the nutriment of ignorance? “The five hindrances” should be the answer."-Anguttara Nikaya 10:62
  • " But ignorance, too, has its nutriment; it is not without a nutriment. And what is the nutriment of ignorance? “The five hindrances” should be the answer."-Anguttara Nikaya 10:62
    Sounds pretty definitive to me.

• Five hindrances
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedi

In Buddhism, the five hindrances (Pali: pañca nīvaraṇāni)[1] are negative mental states that impede success with meditation (jhāna / bhāvanā) and lead away from enlightenment (nibbāna). These states are:

1. Sensual desire (kāmacchanda): Craving for pleasure to the senses.
    2. Anger or ill-will (byāpāda, vyāpāda): Feelings of malice directed toward others.
    3. Sloth-torpor or boredom (thīna-middha): Half-hearted action with little or no concentration.
    4. Restlessness-worry (uddhacca-kukkucca): The inability to calm the mind.
    5. Doubt (vicikicchā): Lack of conviction or trust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_hindrances
  • FANTASTIC! Illuminating! Clarity and Liberation! Thank you!
  • Tough to beat the exact suttric reference for an answer, huh?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Ignorance is not-knowing, and so rather the question is what conditions knowing? Knowing is conditioned by experience, and so on and so forth. Without the experiences which bring "knowing", there is ignorance and so the mind clings. The end of clinging is unbinding.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    craving for solid entities outside yourself to have in 'your' experience
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    " But ignorance, too, has its nutriment; it is not without a nutriment. And what is the nutriment of ignorance? “The five hindrances” should be the answer."-Anguttara Nikaya 10:62
    not so

the hindrances are the nutriment/food (ahara) of ignorance. the hindrances are not the cause (hetu), paccaya (conditioning factor) or samudhaya (origin) of ignorance. the hindrances are siimply the food

for example, as human beings, we have a physical body with the four elements as their cause & condition. for example, when an embryo is conceived in the womb, it is simply not physical food. it is genetic material with genetic coding. this physical body has food, such as bananas & apples, as its nutriment (ahara) but not as its cause (hetu) and condition (paccaya)

the hindrances are the same. the hindrances sustain ignorance, they keep ignorance alive, but they are not the cause & condition of ignorance

for example, when the mind enters the 1st jhana, it is free from the five hindrances. however, ignorance has not yet been extinguished

ignorance does not have a cause & condition

:)

• What conditions ignorance?
    This quote from MN9 says initially that ignorance arises in dependence on the taints. Then it says that the taints arise in dependence on ignorance.
    So I'm not sure. But it does seem that ignorance is effectively the "default setting" for conditioned existence.

Spiny

"With the arising of the taints there is the arising of ignorance; with the cessation of the taints there is the cessation of ignorance...
    And what are the taints, what is the origin of the taints, what is the cessation of the taints, what is the way leading to the cessation of the taints? There are three taints: the taint of sensual desire, the taint of being and the taint of ignorance. With the arising of ignorance there is the arising of the taints. With the cessation of ignorance there is the cessation of the taints. The way leading to the cessation of the taints is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view... right concentration."

edited June 2011
    This quote from MN9 says initially that ignorance arises in dependence on the taints. Then it says that the taints arise in dependence on ignorance.

There are three taints: the taint of sensual desire, the taint of being and the taint of ignorance.
    Exactly. Further, one of the taints is ignorance

ignorance does not have a cause & condition. however it is a "conditioned thing" because it can be eradicated via insight (vipassana) :)

• I condition ignorance.

• not so

the hindrances are the nutriment/food (ahara) of ignorance. the hindrances are not the cause (hetu), paccaya (conditioning factor) or samudhaya (origin) of ignorance. the hindrances are siimply the food

for example, as human beings, we have a physical body with the four elements as their cause & condition. for example, when an embryo is conceived in the womb, it is simply not physical food. it is genetic material with genetic coding. this physical body has food, such as bananas & apples, as its nutriment (ahara) but not as its cause (hetu) and condition (paccaya)

the hindrances are the same. the hindrances sustain ignorance, they keep ignorance alive, but they are not the cause & condition of ignorance

for example, when the mind enters the 1st jhana, it is free from the five hindrances. however, ignorance has not yet been extinguished

ignorance does not have a cause & condition

:)

This does make sense, but how can something that is conditioned and impermanent not have a cause and condition? According to what I've read, the Buddha denies the existence of an initial cause brought about ex nihilo. The example of the poisons conditioning each other seems to make sense. Lust and aversion clouds one's judgement (ignorance), and being blind one continues to perform Karma based on lust and aversion (or greed and hatred.)

Also, I know you don't believe in rebirth, but the concept of being reborn an infinite amount of times since begginingless time, poses the possibility that our death (even from moment to moment) leaves us in a state of bewilderment (ignorance.)

:coffee:
  • I is the hinderance.
  • Also, I know you don't believe in rebirth, but the concept of being reborn an infinite amount of times since begginingless time, poses the possibility that our death (even from moment to moment) leaves us in a state of bewilderment (ignorance.)
    This is highly possible.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    What is meant by ignorance? What is *not-ignorance*?
  • hmm. The simplest answer is probably the human need to seek knowledge, then classify and define experiences to form perspectives. It can lead to false assumptions, ignorant views, and just a general misunderstanding. However... with a bit of humility and examining how we come to these conclusions and why, or constantly questioning a bit further can lead us out of ignorance.
    edited June 2011
    This does make sense, but how can something that is conditioned and impermanent not have a cause and condition? According to what I've read, the Buddha denies the existence of an initial cause brought about ex nihilo.

Also, I know you don't believe in rebirth, but the concept of being reborn an infinite amount of times since begginingless time...
    :
    I do not see what you have asserted above can be deduced from the quotes below

You are asserting a "beginningless beginning" where as the Buddha simply said the beginning cannot be be conceived or identified. The Buddha is not asserting any beginning. Where as you are asserting there is a beginning (albeit beginningless).

The Buddha did not say what is said by whatever you have heard or read.

Or course I do not believe in rebirth. The Buddha advised for those interested in enlightenment, rebirth is a subject of "inappropriate attention" and not a factor of the "noble path".

Regards :)
    A first beginning of ignorance cannot be conceived, (of which it can be said), 'Before that, there was no ignorance and it came to be after that.'
    :
    Monks, from an inconstruable beginning comes samsara. A beginning point is not evident, although beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are roaming & wandering on.
    :

• What is meant by ignorance? What is *not-ignorance*?
    I think you're on the right track. Not-ignorance is called wisdom. Ignorance is empty. Ignorance is lack of wisdom. You might as well ask, where does darkness come from? Darkness comes from there being no light. All you can say is, ignorance comes from there being no wisdom. So ignorance is empty. You might as well ask, what conditions wisdom?

Ignorance provides fertile ground for the five hinderances to flourish, but I would not say ignorance arises from them. But, the hinderances do block the acquiring of wisdom, in the same way a heavy curtain blocks the light coming through the window and keeps the room in deep shadow.

But it's still only a partial understanding. No window, no curtain, no room. All empty.

It rained last night and the cool breeze through the window smells like lilacs.

• Lust and aversion clouds one's judgement (ignorance), and being blind one continues to perform Karma based on lust and aversion (or greed and hatred.)

Yes, I think it makes sense to say that the 3 taints are mutually conditioning, like 3 sheaves of wheat propping each other up. There is a technical label for this kind of conditionality ( one of 24 types? ) but I'd need to look it up. ;-)

Spiny
  • What is meant by ignorance? What is *not-ignorance*?

Presumably it's clear comprehension, wisdom.

Spiny
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Through birth comes inexperience, from inexperience comes not-knowing. Not-knowing is ignorance.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    My teacher has said that ignorance, avidya, is avoidance of reality. ::i reason the following:: Even ignorance is wisdom because reality is always here even if avoided. Once we turn towards reality the confusion is distinct and luminous and is actually wisdom.

This doesn't answer the question for me of what 'mechanical' changes occur in the metaphysical psyche of an unenlightened being as they become enlightened.

What happens when we turn towards the sensitive response of feeling of having a self and experience dichotomy? The sensitivity increases and becomes difficult to tolerate. The response is to close down further and avoid.

We need two strategies. How to encourage ourselves to open more. How to let go. Including awareness/opening/mindfulness. And how to cope with or support in the face of the fear and delusion etc.
  • ....And how to cope with or support in the face of the fear and delusion etc.
    I think that's where the metta-bahavana practice comes in.

Spiny