Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to focus on the breath?

santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
edited June 2011 in Meditation
I don't have a problem focusing on the breath, but my technique may be different from others. I just try to follow it as it goes in and as it goes out. If goes in and stopped short, then I think "goes in and stops short". If comes out long with a short pause, then I think "comes out long with a short pause".

I actually hum "om" mentally after noticing each breath. This is much easier than trying to use a whole sentence such as "comes out with a short pause" for thought. Also it's probably not a good practice to think in sentences because you can get caught up in random thoughts. So when I breathe in short..I think "short om...", and when I breathe out long with a pause..I think "long, pause om....". "In deep and long om...." "out long om..." the "Om" makes all the difference because it helps anchor my focus to my breathing. Does anyone else do it this way? :)

with metta

Comments

• I don't have a problem focusing on the breath, but my technique may be different from others.
    There are many techniques which can help to develop concentration on the breath, including mantras and counting. You may find that these will drop away naturally when the mind calms down.

Spiny

• Thanks @SpinyNorman

I'm actually going try out different methods and see what works the best.:)

with metta
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Taste is taste, but I favor counting the exhalations mentally -- one to ten and begin again. If there is an interruption (I want a Big Mac, I forgot to balance my check book, where did I leave the scissors) then JUST return to one.

Counting provides a non-discursive support. Numbers are just numbers, neither good nor bad nor needing any additional thoughts. Breaths are as long or as short as they want to be. No discussion.

Just some thoughts.
  • @genkaku

I'm going to try that out. Thanks :)
  • Dear Santhisouk,

Whatever helps you keep paying attention - is alright. It does not matter if you hum "om" or not, what matters is that you look at what is going on as closely as you are. It should be like watching clouds, the shape of them is not important, but noticing that each one, like you, is unique. You can count too, if that works, but eventually it is good to relax efforting to minimum and just be.

Don't worry about what others are doing, everyone has their own wonder-filled experience - in and out - moment by moment.

Its all we have!

May you be happy, may you be free from suffering, may you be at peace.
  • Metta to you too @Dharma Field :)
  • I favor counting the exhalations mentally -- one to ten
    Me too. Usually find it reliable way to start meditating and get concentration online. I count 1 to 10, then 10 to 1, back and forth several times until I can do it a couple of times without losing count. Then I'll move to simple noting 'in' on the in-breath and 'out' on the out-breath. Eventually when concentration is strong I'll drop that too. If I lose concentration during meditating I go back to either one of those techniques to re-focus. Don't think the words matter much except that they're not a distraction, and to chose whatever works best for you. During yoga I sometimes use satnam - 'sat' on the in-breath, 'nam' on the out-breath. Om sounds like a good one too :)
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I realize that it's not important what to use, just whatever works best. I just found that adding "Om" to the points of focus helps. I was also trained to do walking meditation this way, only we didn't use om.. it was something else. Writing this post..om....ending this sentence om....about to post this comment om.... it kinda helps me anchor the focus a little. om....

metta
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I count 1 to 10, then 10 to 1, back and forth several times until I can do it a couple of times without losing count.

@TiaP Good for you! I've practiced 40 years and never made it to 10.
  • i just try to keep the mind silent & softly still

the breath will be the grossest sense object

the breath will come to the mind

its like if you are interested in a certain woman. you play "hard to get"

:mullet:
  • jlljll Veteran
    Your honor, I strongly object to your example because using interest in a woman is highly distracting. LOL.
    i just try to keep the mind silent & softly still

the breath will be the grossest sense object

the breath will come to the mind

its like if you are interested in a certain woman. you play "hard to get"

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Related to the topic, I find I can maintain my count even with something else on my mind, am I doing something wrong?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Mostly I just try to relax sort of. To let go and always come back to awareness. Come back. And back. When I try to intently to notice my thoughts there is a certain tension. As if I notice somebody is looking at me and I get nervous.

But then eventually I relax again. That coming back is dynamic. Its always letting go and always getting stressed. Something is happening, don't know how to explain it.

When I come back I connect with the wish to have peace and letting go. I release that like a karate kai though letting go instead of tensing (not sure how kai is done).

Quite often I note the feeling of my body. I do use the breath but it is more of a breathing out and letting go. That is what I note rather than the air sensation. I might notice my seat or my nose or something else but I don't hold my attention steady and ground myself.

Instead I would say my meditation is about 'coming back'

• Coming back can also be a loving kindness practice, returning gently and without admonishing yourself. Like playing with a Dog
    it can be an act of love.
  • I count 1 to 10, then 10 to 1, back and forth several times until I can do it a couple of times without losing count.

@TiaP Good for you! I've practiced 40 years and never made it to 10.
    lol I don't believe you! maybe your breath is so slow by the time you've finished the out breath you've lost track, in which case maybe I believe you ;)
  • its like if you are interested in a certain woman. you play "hard to get"

Interesting analogy.... ;-)

Spiny