Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ideas for an 8 fold path tattoo?

I was thinking about the classic helm, are there any other cool symbols? Any Ideas?

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Google "8 fold path tattoos" and then click the "images" tab. Some interestinf stuff there.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Put it on the bottom of your foot, perhaps?
  • Put it on the bottom of your foot, perhaps?
    That's a part of your body that doesn't tattoo very well and would be extremely painful. It will also fade quickly (which would be a good visual lesson on impermanence, but I don't think its what one would be after in this case, lol!)

There are many examples of wonderful Buddhist tattoo art out there--Google images are a good place to start as mentioned.

I do have a related question though on placement. I have always heard that it is disrespectful and possibly wrong to place Buddhist related tattoos below the waist but never gotten a clear answer as to why.
  • bravehawkbravehawk Explorer
    i like this one myself
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    i like this one myself
    I've seen this too. It's definitely one of the nicer designs, or rather, one that I've liked. It has a stylistic flair, and it isn't just the typical wheel.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Here's mine. Technically it's not a "helm" (which is used to steer a ship), it's a wheel of life - a dharma wheel. Its eight spokes represent aspects of the eight-fold path. I chose to put the triple swirl representation of the triple gem (Buddha, Dharma, Sangha) in the middle. The colors are of my choosing - I liked the blue color because it's not often seen in tattoos.

I designed this myself, although it's not that much different from many dharma wheels you see. I changed the proportions so it worked better as a tattoo, and did the design up in Adobe Illustrator so the ink artist could transfer it easily to my upper arm. If I were more buff, it could have been bigger, but I'm a skinny runt :)

• Sorry, meant to add "gankyil" - the name of the triple swirl motif...
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Inside right wrist - Dharmachakra - which appears in the art of every Buddhist culture. It is especially prominent in Tibet, where it is one of the Eight Auspicious Symbols and often flanked by two deer — the whole image representing the Buddha's first sermon in the Deer Park.

017.JPG 295.2K
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi All,
    Put it on the bottom of your foot, perhaps?
    That's a part of your body that doesn't tattoo very well and would be extremely painful.
    I believe that what Genkaku means (correct me if I am wrong, Genkaku) is that the Noble Eightfold Path is supposed to be "walked" (hence the reason why he said "the bottom of your foot").
    5. And the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "Ananda, the twin sala trees are in full bloom, though it is not the season of flowering. And the blossoms rain upon the body of the Tathagata and drop and scatter and are strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata. And celestial coral flowers and heavenly sandalwood powder from the sky rain down upon the body of the Tathagata, and drop and scatter and are strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata. And the sound of heavenly voices and heavenly instruments makes music in the air out of reverence for the Tathagata.

6. "Yet it is not thus, Ananda, that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree. But, Ananda, whatever bhikkhu or bhikkhuni, layman or laywoman, abides by the Dhamma, lives uprightly in the Dhamma, walks in the way of the Dhamma, it is by such a one that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree. Therefore, Ananda, thus should you train yourselves: 'We shall abide by the Dhamma, live uprightly in the Dhamma, walk in the way of the Dhamma.'"
    "Maha-parinibbana Sutta: Last Days of the Buddha" (DN 16), translated from the Pali by Sister Vajira & Francis Story. Access to Insight, 9 October 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

In the above excerpt of the Maha-parinibbana Sutta the Devas (heavenly beings) were honoring and revering the Buddha in his final days before he passed away by showering him with flowers and playing heavenly music - but the Buddha is saying that you don't honor and revere the Tathagata (Buddha) by flowers or incense or music (and I would include tattoos) - You honor him by practicing what he taught.

Kind regards,

Guy
  • That the Maha-parinibbana sutta has anything to do with proscribing tattoos is just absurd. Please skillfully consider how you honor and revere the Tathagata before dispensing advice as to how others incorrectly practice or honor the Dharma.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/2852/buddhism-and-tattoos/p1
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Iron Rabbit,
    That the Maha-parinibbana sutta has anything to do with proscribing tattoos is just absurd. Please skillfully consider how you honor and revere the Tathagata before dispensing advice as to how others incorrectly practice or honor the Dharma.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/2852/buddhism-and-tattoos/p1
    I never said nor implied anything about proscribing tattoos. I am not anti-tattoo. Whatever you want to do with your bodies is your choice.

All I meant to suggest was that external signs of reverence are not the point of Buddhism. I didn't say such things were against Buddhism or incompatible with Buddhism - they are just unnecessary.

If you really want to honor and revere the Noble Eightfold Path, then you don't do it by getting a tattoo, you do it by walking it - that's all. Maybe you already know this to be true, if so, then take it as a reminder. If not, then I hope you will understand what I'm saying.

Metta,

Guy
  • It is understood that you are still dispensing reminders for others to act correctly by doing or not doing something in accordance with "the point" of Buddhism - that is proscribing that activity - perhaps you do not understand that what you feel is unnecessary or incorrect is so for you - that's all.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Iron Rabbit,
    It is understood that you are still dispensing reminders for others to act correctly by doing or not doing something in accordance with "the point" of Buddhism - that is proscribing that activity - perhaps you do not understand that what you feel is unnecessary or incorrect is so for you - that's all.
    There appears to be some confusion...

I am not saying "Noble Eightfold Path = good, tattoos = bad".

I am saying "Noble Eightfold Path = good, tattoos = unnecessary".

I am not saying "don't get a tattoo".

I am saying "don't mistake getting a tattoo for practicing what the Buddha taught".

Anyway...I think enough has been said here on this topic by me, my time could and should be better spent. Just as getting a tattoo may be a distraction from Buddhist practice - so too, posting too much on Buddhist forums is also a distraction.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyC said: Just as getting a tattoo may be a distraction from Buddhist practice.

There is no confusion - all is very clear, friend. This is called passive/aggressive - denying one's statement and then making the statement again......claiming posting as a waste of time yet wasting one more post.....

Good night, Guy - seems your practice has been distracted - be well - see clearly.