Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help with New Dhammapada

thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
edited June 2011 in Arts & Writings
Hi

I have just finished the first draft of a new editing of the Dhammapada. It's an amalgamation of many translations and I have edited it to make something that is devoid of any mystical references whilst at the same time trying to present the core dharma concepts within the text; so as to have a text-booky kind of feel.

If anyone would like to have a read or a proof read drop me a PM.

Namaste

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    So basically, you've made it your own interpretation to cover your comfort zone, as opposed to studying original texts and seeking rights to publish any official translation or interpretation....?

Will this be for general public distribution?
    have you approached any authoritative bodies to seek clarification, approval or correction, where such might be necessary?

Otherwise, this would just be for your own personal gratification, wouldn't it?

Really, I'm interested, seriously.

• Jeez your a mean moderator. :( I hate when people treat me with that attitude. :(

• Jeez your a mean moderator. :( I hate when people treat me with that attitude. :(

Nobody is perfect. Rise above it etc:)
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    would be all right to have a read, I think.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Jeez your a mean moderator. :( I hate when people treat me with that attitude. :(

She has a very relevent point. Buddhism isnt about picking and choosing.
  • Buddhism isnt about picking and choosing.
    I have followed the Kalama Principles and the wisdom/knowledge of others, not picked or chosen anything.

I am also very open to criticism, hence's my post. I would prefer it if the criticism came after a reading, not before - that just somehow seems less skill-full to me. And less kind.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Post it to a blog or something so we can read it and then criticize you for it. :lol:
  • Post it to a blog or something so we can read it and then criticize you for it. :lol:
    PM me and I will send it to you, I have already sent it to some and happy to send it to more:)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jeez your a mean moderator. :( I hate when people treat me with that attitude. :(

It's not about dogma, either. And actually, I've had more than one Thai monk tell me that, in a sense, it is about picking and choosing. Picking what you can accept at a particular point, and continuing to interpret and consider what you can't accept, with the thought that over time you will be able to accept more.

Accepting the full Dhamma, or the full Bible, or the full Koran, does not show much thought...and for me, Buddhism is all about thinking.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Post a link to a blog. Or PM me :) I think its an interesting idea. This is how the dharma gets corrupted ;) just kiddn

Do you think I need to be familiar with the original dhammapada in order to read yours? Will you be defining terms such as 'good' and 'evil' in your own understanding. The latter would make it easier for others to understand your perspective.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Sankharam paramam dukkham, nibbanam paraman sukham

Mental concocting/fabricating is the supreme suffering
    [The ending of mental conconting] Nibbana is the supreme happiness

Sankharam here does not mean "a thing" (noun), such as the five aggregates

It is a verb or doing word, meaning the mind cooking up all kinds of thoughts

:)
    This state, too, is hard to see: the resolution of all fabricating (sankhara), the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana.

MN 26
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    oops

• Post a link to a blog. Or PM me :) I think its an interesting idea. This is how the dharma gets corrupted ;) just kiddn

I think there has been lots of corruption - but not by this dhammapada. PM me and I'll email it to you.
    Do you think I need to be familiar with the original dhammapada in order to read yours?
    There is no original dhammapda. There are twenty plus translations/interpretations and none of those come from an original source. The dhammapada is probably the most authentic buddhist text, it is still very far from original.
    Will you be defining terms such as 'good' and 'evil' in your own understanding. The latter would make it easier for others to understand your perspective.

Not really these are defined well in the text. eg "a deed is bad if it brings..."

When you see the translations its amazing how the rendering is.

xx

• jlljll Veteran
    AFAIK, Dhammapada are not Buddha's words unlike the Pali canon.
    It's more like wise sayings, I dont think there was a single author.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2011
    AFAIK, Dhammapada are not Buddha's words unlike the Pali canon.
    It's more like wise sayings, I dont think there was a single author.
    I think you should research both points @Jil, when I do this I come up with the opposite of what you say.

Namaste

Of course it is! (It would be hopelessly naive to think otherwise. Picking and choosing are the bases for the existence of differ4ent 'schools'.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    for me, Buddhism is all about thinking.

@vinlyn -- OK, but if Buddhism is all about thinking, that still leaves the question of what happens to Buddhism when you don't think about it. Does Buddhism somehow disappear when you long for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Does Buddhism require your thoughts? If so, that would mean Buddhism was somehow limited ... something along the lines of a book-bound religion. "For me," any of this might be fine. But what about "for real?"