Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Random Meditation Stuff

taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
edited June 2011 in Meditation
So I was meditating today and I was just sitting there being aware of everything coming and going.

There is a strong presence in my forehead and when I placed my awareness onto it, it felt like I was being pulled into something.

Well there was a pulling sensation. Anyways, I am wondering if anyone else has felt these sensations.

Also, it would be nice if you guys could describe different sensations and objects that appear in your meditation as well.

And yes I understand that these experiences and object are empty of inherent existence and they will come and go.

Thoughts please.

Comments

• santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Are you sure it's not vertigo? Those can happen to anyone every so often.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Definitely not vertigo as I rarely feel vertigo. It is just a strong pull and expanse of the presence. Either way I just watch it, I am wondering if it happens to other people.

Also I've been meditating with my eyes open. It seems my physical reality is like an ocean. Everything moves like water or waves. And in the middle of all this is a bright little dot about the size of a pearl. When I close my eyes it is there, when I open my eyes it is there. If I focus on it, it gets brighter and bigger.

I've noticed it more and more as I was growing up. Now that I've been mediating it has asserted itself more and more.

Just curious if anyone else has had these odd occurrings.
  • Perhaps that is the part of your body where you have not put focus on in a while or it may be a first. In any case, experiment and find out if there are other parts of your body that causes different sensations when you put focus. It doesn't hurt to move your focus around either, it's actually helpful.

regards
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Perhaps that is the part of your body where you have not put focus on in a while or it may be a first. In any case, experiment and find out if there are other parts of your body that causes different sensations when you put focus. It doesn't hurt to move your focus around either, it's actually helpful.

regards
    Yeah that is what I was doing prior to the random emphasis on my forehead. I usually look around my body for various tensions and relax them. At times I feel intense heat on the sole of my right foot. Also I feel the same presence around my stomach, chest and throat. These sensations occurred to me usually when I was sleeping and would keep me awake. For instance one day my throat seemed to have a large presence and I felt like I was being choked. I ended up watching it and accepting it for what it is. But they are still there.

I always assumed these are chakras or various points of energy manifesting. Either way just another object to watch.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There are chakra points at the forhead, stomach, chest and throat as well as the crown of the head, below the navel and the taint? or wherever the root chakra is. Sounds to me like thats what it is idk, I get sensations at those points too sometimes.
  • I often wonder what to do with focus once we reach it and can keep it with us. I have heard people say not to do anything with it, just keep it. Thoughts?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I often wonder what to do with focus once we reach it and can keep it with us. I have heard people say not to do anything with it, just keep it. Thoughts?
    Lol, yeah thats a tough one, because once I gain some focus I can get excited and say "this is it!" and then, of course, it goes away. With some experience its not such a big deal anymore and the feeling is just kind of loosely holding it. You don't try to force it or hold onto it tightly, you just kind of let it be. Its hard to explain with words but they're a useful guidepost when dealing with the experience in meditation.
  • an expansion of your presence or a pull from another presence?

telepathy isn't impossible btw...
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited June 2011
    it's more of the pull of presence itself. i have no idea if it is from another person or place. it is just the sensation of being pulled.

lol i don't think it is telepathy.

i believe when you have enough focus you can work on gaining insight into reality but inquiring.
  • I'm a bit wary about that. I realize that putting the focus you have gained somewhere improves whatever it is significantly, but then again are we just creating more attachments?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    isn't the purpose of creating samadhi state to not abide in them but to realize or have some insight into reality?

well it is the goal of meditation. what is the point if you don't have insight into how the mind or how reality functions?
  • One can become attached to insight of reality too right? It's obvious from reading all the posts.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Yes I suppose if you're attached to a previous insight. But if such insight is true then it always will be true. So if one just examines their life or the moment through meditation, one can find that reality always has the same insight stored for us.

The purpose of meditation is to potentially realize how reality works and through that we understand ourselves and potentially find liberation from suffering. I think realization occurs on more of an intuitive level and we poetically express such realization through what we are capable of. so for one who is on the path of devotion or love/metta will translate it in such poetic expressions, whereas on who is more intellectual will have expressions manifest through concepts.

If one has a genuine insight, then there is a falling away of holding onto "views" rather than clinging harder to views. I am not sure if that makes any sense, but that is what seems to happen generally when one has a satori. Unless one clings to the satori lol. Either way reality will teach you otherwise.
  • edited June 2011
    Well the forehead is the place of the two petaled lotus or the third eye. Lots of Eastern religions use the third eye as the gateway to the soul and to God. I myself saw God once when I pierced my third eye completely open. It was beyond anything I can describe here in words. The smallest particle and the biggest void at the same time with a questionable gap in between where they collided and I was God for a micro second. Piercing your third eye only happens once or twice in a life time I've heard it say. It's quite an experience. It happens naturally while your meditating. So next time go with it. See what happens and what it develops into.
  • I think people have different views about meditation. It's really hard to say what exactly is meditation when there are so many applications. I find that my meditation however brief or long really develops my thinking, mental capacity, and spirituality, and the only thing I do when I meditate is try to keep an unattached single minded focus.
  • There is a strong presence in my forehead and when I placed my awareness onto it, it felt like I was being pulled into something.

Well there was a pulling sensation. Anyways, I am wondering if anyone else has felt these sensations.
    Hi taiyaki. I had experience of feeling suspended once, as though being pulled upwards from the crown of the head although there was no discomfort. Felt very light, lost sensation of body. Kind of a floaty sensation but felt pulled upwards. Like any sensation it gradually passed. I used to get wildly curious when stuff like this happened. Still find it very interesting but don't get attached or try to recreate it.

Re objects appearing, flickering light appears in most of my meditation sessions. Usually starts as a kind of raggy looking ball, blue seems to be my colour of choice for some reason! Then turns yellow, then white and smooth round, quite small. Then usually grows until it kind of engulfs me. That happens so often now it's like a familiar old friend when I sit and meditate - oh there's my little ball of light again lol :) It's often preceded by very nice blissy sensations and followed by a slightly empty sensation which used to creep me out a bit but now I'm more comfortable sitting through it. I could be wrong about the order these things happen in, it's hard to recall exactly sometimes.

I understand seeing lights is very common during meditation. Not sure what causes them but when I see them I move my attention from the breath to them until they pass, then move back to the breath.

Thanks for sharing your experiences :)