Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vegetarian Recipes

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited June 2011 in General Banter
Every time someone opens a new "Are you a vegetarian?/Do Buddhists need to be vegetarian?" thread, inevitably, a handful of people will say, "I couldn't give up meat! I like it too much!" But I think everyone agrees that vegetarian diets are better for the environment and tend to be better for you too (not always though, let's not forget that french fries are vegetarian as well).

"One personal act that can have a profound impact on these issues is reducing meat consumption. To produce 1 pound of feedlot beef requires about 2,400 gallons of water and 7 pounds of grain (42). Considering that the average American consumes 97 pounds of beef (and 273 pounds of meat in all) each year, even modest reductions in meat consumption in such a culture would substantially reduce the burden on our natural resources."

Here's a few articles on the environmental impact of a meat based diet:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/features/ft_eco_living/574
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_vegetarianism

So, it would be nice if everyone could post their favorite veg. recipes and maybe those who aren't vegetarian could reduce their meat consumption as well. Even as little as one night per week without meat can make a difference. I don't know why everyone seems to think that vegetarian food is somehow lacking because you can make some pretty awesome veg. meals and it's actually very rare that I miss meat at all. But, I'm getting a little bored with my repertoire, so I'm excited for some new suggestions as well.

I'm a fan of simple recipes (read: I'm a terrible cook), so my contribution is Hummus Pizza.

Just a twist on a typical pizza. I usually buy an already made crust, brush it lightly with olive oil and spread a layer of hummus over top. The typical 8oz. container of hummus is fine. You can use any flavor of hummus you like, but I tend to go for the garlic lovers. I like to really pile the veggies on. Usually I use onions, mushrooms, green peppers, and sometimes broccoli; but you can really do any combination that you like. Spread a thin layer of mozzarella cheese over top of this. You can put as much as you want, but I usually just make a light cover to hold the veggies together, instead of creating a thick layer like a traditional pizza. Follow the directions for the pre-made crust, but the usual cooking temp. is around 450. Because there's no meat, you don't have to worry too much about cooking time, 20 mins. or so should do it, but just keep an eye on the cheese and the veggies. By the time the cheese melts and the mushrooms cook down, I can tell it's done. I recommend putting the pizza directly on the oven rack, since veggie pizzas tend to have a lot of moisture cook off, it can dampen the crust if you use a pan. Top with some parmesan cheese and you're done. :)

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I don't have a recipe, but I was listening to a report on CNN the other day about vitamins. It said that the vast majority of people cannot sustain a suitable diet without some meat, fowl, and fish.
  • Hi zombiegirl, I use a few web sites to get new recipes when I am bored...
    Here are two of them if you are interested in vegetarian recipes:
    theveggietable.com and vegetariantimes.com
    Some of their recipes are really easy.
    Enjoy!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    @zombiegirl The hummus pizza sounds good, I'm rather partial to peanut sauce pizza myself! Yum!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I don't have a recipe, but I was listening to a report on CNN the other day about vitamins. It said that the vast majority of people cannot sustain a suitable diet without some meat, fowl, and fish.
    the vast majority of people cannot sustain a suitable diet eating meat, lol. it's no secret that heart disease is a big problem in america. what vitamins specifically were they referring to? it is my understanding that b12 is the only vitamin that is difficult for vegetarians to get. you still get some from dairy, but vitamins are easy enough to take. i've flipped flopped on the whole thing in the past, but i eventually decided that i felt better on a vegetarian diet. eating meat gives me a lot of digestion problems.

@MamaLotus
    thanks for the websites! i will have to check them out. honestly, i have quite a few vegetarian cookbooks, but i always find the recipes too complicated or involved. i like simplicity.

@mugzy
    tell me about your peanut sauce pizza! what sort of toppings would you put on such a thing?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    It said that the vast majority of people cannot sustain a suitable diet without some meat, fowl, and fish.
    I think that old vegetarian monks would have a different opinion :)
    Actually, if you do a Google search, there are quite a few balanced articles about the issue of what nutrients are generally missing from a vegetarian diet. It's not an "LOL", zombiegirl. And no where did I say that a meat diet was not problematic, as well.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @vinlyn I have been vegetarian for over 10 years, and I have to get bloodwork done regularly for a health condition. My doctors check everything, including my levels of vitamins and such, and nothing has ever been deficient. It's not like I'm a health nut or anything. There are ways to maintain a balance of nutrients without eating meat. It works for me :)
    @vinlyn I have been vegetarian for over 10 years, and I have to get bloodwork done regularly for a health condition. My doctors check everything, including my levels of vitamins and such, and nothing has ever been deficient. It's not like I'm a health nut or anything. There are ways to maintain a balance of nutrients without eating meat. It works for me :)
    Mugzy, I'm not questioning that. And while I like meat, I have no criticism for people who are vegetarians...to each his own. I'm saying that many people need to be sure that their vegetarian diets are complete and varied.

• fettuccine agli asparaghi (asparagus)
    invented by me :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I am working on Veggie diet.
    I do need recipes! This is perfect
    I was wondering if there literally recipes that are 1.2.3..I am somewhat of a beginner in cooking.
    I know how to cook the basics and add a little bit of my own twists to the basics. Lol.
    Could the scientist doing those studies be biased?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I just want to make a little plug for frozen veggies that you steam in the bag. Frozen are picked at the peak of freshness and frozen almost immediatly so they are at least as nutritious as fresh if not more so, and the steam in bag makes prep a breeze.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I just want to make a little plug for frozen veggies that you steam in the bag. Frozen are picked at the peak of freshness and frozen almost immediatly so they are at least as nutritious as fresh if not more so, and the steam in bag makes prep a breeze.
    i stock up on a lot of frozen veggies. for those of you lucky enough to have a Trader Joes close to you, they have awesome varieties/quality of frozen veggies. whenever i make veggie stew, i almost always use frozen.

i make a variation on Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) roasted vegetable soup:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-vegetable-soup-recipe/index.html

i usually end up roasting whatever veggies i have: typically mushrooms, onions, potatoes, carrots, etc. and obviously, i use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. just an fyi, my favorite bouillon comes in a jar and is by the "Better Than Bouillon" brand, but i really dislike the Rupunzel brand. sometimes i will also make a roux and turn it into a stew. my girlfriend really likes it that way, but a roux is such a pain in the butt to do. i've been unsuccessful before as well.
    Actually, if you do a Google search, there are quite a few balanced articles about the issue of what nutrients are generally missing from a vegetarian diet. It's not an "LOL", zombiegirl. And no where did I say that a meat diet was not problematic, as well.
    i never said you claimed that, it was really more in response to the report you mentioned. the "lol" was regarding the irony that so many in america have poor diets to begin with, yet people love to pick on vegetarians. people seem to tell me all the time how unhealthy i'm being by choosing not to eat meat, but i wholly believe that mcdonalds would kill you before a vegetarian diet would. again, i'm not saying you are one of those people, just explaining what i find funny about the comment. this is the reason i am curious to read/see that report that you read. i tried to do a search for it on CNN. i can't find anything, except one article from a few years ago that mentioned Vitamin D and B12. think you could provide a link?
    Zombiegirl, you are certainly right about people who eat all the time at McDonalds! When I was still teaching we had an assistant principal who was HUGE...the fattest person I ever knew personally. One day we all got to talking about eating habits and she finally told us how she got so fat. She was working on her doctorate while working full time. The only place she had time to eat -- day after day -- was McDonalds. Then she showed us a photo of her skinny days!

No complaint from me about people who choose vegetarianism. Although it's not for me (I actually have trouble digesting corn, lettuce, cabbage, celery), I quite admire it. But I do know vegetarians who don't realize that even a veggie diet has to be balanced so that they get the wide range of nutrients.

My best to you!
    I double this! I have a lot of different frozen veggies in my ref... And I make them every few days with rice. Delicious!
    I want to share this article with you. Individuals who say that Veggie diet is unbalanced: http://ctzen.org/sunnyvale/enUS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=216&Itemid=59 (Please, read!) Most who are saying that Veggie is unbalanced are ignoring the fact that individuals back in the day hardly ate meat! This is coming from a Non-Vegetarian!
    Leon, if you're referring to me, I was simply saying that just eating veggies without planning may not give you a totally balanced diet. I'm just saying you need to plan even a veggie diet.

And what do mean that "back in the day" people hardly ate meat? What "day" are you talking about. I ask because my grandmother and grandfather on my father's side were born in the 1880s and lived until they were in their mid-80s, ate tons of meat, including extremely fatty meat. So I am curious back in what day you are talking about.
    Not only you Vinlyn!:) But, I was speaking from my experience, reading, research, speaking to other people and the like. Here is some information where I mentioned humans didn't eat meat and the like. Now, I was referring to most individuals not eating meat, however, I realize some individuals need meat in their diet and it also depends and depended on the environment. http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html
    http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-grok-really-eat-that-much-meat/
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animals-and-us/201106/why-do-most-vegetarians-go-back-eating-meat

I was trying to provide links that are not all biased.
    There is many more, but that is just the gist.
    I think individuals who say don't eat meat or meat is bad comes from Vegetarians most of the time and the ones who say eat meat it's good for you and it has nutrients are meat eaters...Is this a correct assumption? Or am I just confusing, or digging myself a hole? LOL.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @zombiegirl

i am going to make that pizza today.
    i'll tell you how it goes.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Zombie girl I thinks its a good direction to provide recipes. I think one problem is that experienced vegetarians who provide recipes (not talking about you) think that new vegetarians is going to just dig into vegetables and tofu with abandon. No the only way I become a vegatarian is kicking and screaming and I need a lot of cheese and butterfat and spices to accomplish that.

I tried to be a vegetarian for two years and gave it up because the food was horrible.
    Zombie girl I thinks its a good direction to provide recipes. I think one problem is that experienced vegetarians who provide recipes (not talking about you) think that new vegetarians is going to just dig into vegetables and tofu with abandon. No the only way I become a vegatarian is kicking and screaming and I need a lot of cheese and butterfat and spices to accomplish that.

I tried to be a vegetarian for two years and gave it up because the food was horrible.
    Yea, I tried being a veggie for 2 months first time and I couldn't do it.
    I am gradually doing it.
    And even then, it's difficult.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Example of good vegetarian food: Fried wontons with cream cheese in the center with fresh fruit. Corn. And a salad.

I wish I liked beans more but I only like them mixed with meat.
    made this recipe last night and it was pretty awesome. it's sort of a take on a philly cheese sandwich, but with mushrooms instead. (by Veronica Vadakan)

1/4 cup lemon juice
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 lb. sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
    2 medium green peppers, sliced
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    4 hoagie buns, split
    4 slices provolone cheese

In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, green peppers and onions. Pour dressing over vegetables; toss to coat.
    Transfer to two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once.
    Divide mushroom mixture among buns and top with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.

all in all, it was pretty awesome but i did add more cheese. my girlfriend and i also added some of those banana pepper rings that come in a jar to add a nice little kick. i think next time i make it i will probably use portabella mushrooms though because i like their flavor a little better.
  • A simple version of Mutter Paneer.

Fry a chopped onion in butter or ghee until translucent and sweet tasting. Transfer to a blender and make a smooth paste. Return to pan. Take on equal amount of diced tomatoes (canned) and make a second paste. Return to pan, and stir pastes together. Add seasonings like: paneer masala, curry paste, chili powder, garlic paste, etc. Simmer until flavor is right. Add green peas, paneer cheese. To finish, add cream slowly over very low heat to thicken sauce. Serve with basmati rice!